Hello Guest

Author Topic: Mud tire thread  (Read 20999 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Mud tire thread
« on: February 26, 2015, 12:41:40 PM »
Let's talk about mud tires for a moment.

There are lots of them out there. Let's focus on a tire that is driven on the highway, is subject to weight, as in tongue weight on a truck that is towing a trailer, but also sees off road forest trail to muddy track type occasional driving.

I am currently running the Toyo MT's on my Chebby in a 35 12.50/R18 fitment and with great success. I am 99% on road so far but have used the truck off road in places like my farm which has muddy sport, grassy slopes, and moss covered rocks. It seems to do very well with the Yukon Grizzly rear locker. The truck has never been stuck, needing a winch or other vehicle to pull me out.

Having said that. I have always liked the Yokahama MT's. And I notice they sell it in either a 27" or a 38" size that is begging to get bolted on my Chevy.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: Mud tire thread
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 02:12:11 PM »
Maybe I'll try them on XJ, well once I finish my wide scale purge on all the rust..
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 02:17:25 PM »
My son ran the Toyo tires on his Dodge and had very good luck with them. They did wear quicker than other tires but lots of traction. He worked a forest greens business so he was on steep, either heavy rocked, or deep heavy slick mud, logging roads both current use ones and very old single track almost every day through the fall and winter in rain, sleet, snow, mud, and ice. He pulled heavy trailers and hauled heavy with his pickup both in the woods and at 65 on the pavement getting product to the sheds.  He always said until they make a better tire he will stick with the Toyo's as they never let him down.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 02:27:09 PM »
My latest set I'm trying are Toyo M55's.
With the dirt road I run, my truck literally eats rear tires.

Having said that, they are standing up very well.
Had been running Terra Grapplers, and they were ok, but 25k  miles at best.

Like Don most of my time is highway, and same driving conditions,with the exception of the 200 mile dirt road(crushed shale), and I've been told I have a heavy foot. I'll get an accurate mileage on these, but I'm very happy with the durability so far.
They are 'OK' in the snow and ice, they're not a real winter tire, but do better than the Terra's in the snow. Seem to clear mud fairly well, and do well on hlsides etc as well.

I'm not sure how big they go with these however. I'm just running 265 75 16's.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 02:52:45 PM »
Maybe I'll try them on XJ, well once I finish my wide scale purge on all the rust..
I ran them on lighter trucks like my old Tundra with much success. on a jeep sized truck you'd like them if you have need of that much traction.
But for you snow bound guys, i'm not sure how well they run in deep snow...not much siping

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 03:19:51 PM »
I ran them on lighter trucks like my old Tundra with much success. on a jeep sized truck you'd like them if you have need of that much traction.
But for you snow bound guys, i'm not sure how well they run in deep snow...not much siping

I'm going to keep my DuraTracs for my winter tires.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 04:55:51 PM »
Huge fan of the M55's. Used to work for Uncle Les and I sold the you know what out of the Toyo MT's back then but always came back to the m55's due to the long tread life and snow traction. most of them are pinned for studs and at one point the state of UT bought more of those than anywhere in the US. Those yokohamas look a lot like the old MTR's on the H1. I like the tread design for pretty much everything but loose dry sand or hard packed snow/ice. you can always have them siped in the center lugs to improve that though. did that on my BFG MT's and they lasted forever and got decent wet weather traction.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 02:55:45 PM »
I had a set of the Yoko geolanders sometime back. They were just a tad large for my max but boy did they work great. Even ran them in about 6 inches of snow and they had great traction!

I know you like your aggressive tires though Don.

I have 55k on my Toyos right now, be looking soon too. 
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 07:23:04 PM »
Another +1 for the Toyo MTs.  Had them on my Dodge 2500. I got almost 50k out of them and rotated them once, oops.  They did great in the rain, snow, sand (aired down) and had good highway manners.  And above all they were way more quiet than I thought they would be.   Only downside is they are a bit pricey.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 11:50:22 AM by husker77c »

Offline CHEVSILVER1500

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 09:34:37 PM »
Have the Nitto trail grappler m/t on my 1500 work truck. Have about 23k on them and at last measure I was at 12/32 remaining on the tread from the original 19/32. Always have them rotated/balanced every 3-4k and run 35psi. Considering the same tire for my dmax but not sure if I want to go that aggressive

Offline Drunksailor

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 05:49:39 PM »
Well i bought my truck with mickey thompson baja ATZs and loved the so much i bought the newer version when i needed new ones. they are super quiet on the road and have done amazing in sand, mud, mulch beds, and the grass in my yard. also used them to run the sand drags here. One note is they don't handle shard coral well but will hold eight plugs
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 05:50:47 PM by Drunksailor »
-Seth

“Anyone in any walk of life who is content with mediocrity is untrue to himself and to American tradition.”
― George S. Patton Jr.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 07:08:13 PM »
What kind of mulch?

Man, stay away from that triple ground hardwood stuff. Get in that and you're a gonner!

Offline Tommy13

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 11:28:14 PM »
Don, what sort of mileage are you going to get out of your Toyos and how noisy are they? I spend most of my time on the highway and pulling the boat. I love the looks of the tire and want something that will get me in and out of deer camp but I don't want a bowling tire for those long road trips.
Exodus 14:14

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 10:14:35 PM »
Don, what sort of mileage are you going to get out of your Toyos and how noisy are they? I spend most of my time on the highway and pulling the boat. I love the looks of the tire and want something that will get me in and out of deer camp but I don't want a bowling tire for those long road trips.

Not very noisy, not like swampers or anything like that. I am used to it, hardly notice it at all. Just drove maybe 70 miles of country road with the windows down. I could talk with and hear the boys.

My front tires last a good while, but the locker in the rear shortens the back tires. I have never laid down a black mark, except for that one test once, and the rears show wear after about 6,000 miles. I got about 30K on two rear tires before they were down to about 1/3rd tread remaining. That's when I replace, as I need deep lugs because of all my off roading at the farm

Offline Tommy13

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 06:07:16 PM »
Thanks Don!  I also like the look of the Open Country RT.  I might give them a shot.

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-rt-on-off-road-rugged-terrain-tires?cat=10

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 08:00:53 PM »
Thanks Don!  I also like the look of the Open Country RT.  I might give them a shot.

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-rt-on-off-road-rugged-terrain-tires?cat=10
I'm nervous that I might not give good advice. So we went on a drive today in the truck through the country. I listened and you can definitely hear the tires, but more of a hum, non harmonic, and not a roar.
Hope this helps you in making your decision

Offline Tommy13

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 09:24:25 PM »
It does, thank you.  I've heard that they won't be that noticeable over my Cummins.

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 04:02:31 PM »
Looking at getting 20 inch rims for my dually and would like a mud grip that handles well in mud, has good wear, and decent price since I'll have to buy 6. What would you guys recommend?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 04:03:11 PM by Pulley »
2001 Silverado 3500 Drw Crew Cab 2wd 6.0 Gasser High Flow Mufflers and S&B Intake
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2015, 07:26:07 PM »
In in the same boat.  Looking at Mayhem Monstir 20s for the dually and Im leaning towards to Nitto Terra Grappler because the vast majority of the mileage is on the highway 90+%
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 09:11:43 PM »
In in the same boat.  Looking at Mayhem Monstir 20s for the dually and Im leaning towards to Nitto Terra Grappler because the vast majority of the mileage is on the highway 90+%

Have you seen a price for the nitto tires? I was looking at dura tracs and tire rack has them for 224 each for a 275/60/20 and if I can get discount tire to match the price I may go with them.
2001 Silverado 3500 Drw Crew Cab 2wd 6.0 Gasser High Flow Mufflers and S&B Intake
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 09:51:21 PM »
I'm a huge discount tire fan.  In 15 years, I've never bought a tire from anywhere else.  They've always taken care of me.  I bought 4 new Michelin Pilot Sports 295/35/18 and 275/40/18 for my CLS and it was pulling to the right just a bit.  The alignment guy swore up and down it was set correctly and DT replaced the two fronts at no charge just to make sure it was not a bad tire (rare, but it happens- and those tires were $400+ each).  They've pro rated tires on that same car when the mileage warranty was iffy.  I bought a set of Goodyears for my 2001 gasser and after 5 years only had 20,000 on them and one got  road hazard incident.  Since Goodyear had discontinued that line, they pro-rated 4 new Goodyears instead of having me mis matched on front and back.

I bought wheels from them for my2001 gasser and lost a center cap 2 years later...gave me one for free.  Bought my LB7 and it didn't have a lug socket for the splined lugs...they gave me one for free.

On and on, they have always repaired or balanced tires that came on vehicles that I bought without their tires on them.  They have more than earned my business.

So, when it comes time to buy the wheels and tires, I'm going to give them the wheel and tire specs and ask them to get close to that number and buy from them.  Great company.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 09:52:26 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 10:51:27 PM »
I've only had rotations and balancing from them and love driving away because the truck rides so nice. My dad loves them and I'll buy from them anyways. I need to contact them and see what a set of 6 terra grapplers will run and if its better than 224 for the dura tracs I'll get them. Are those wheels the black or chrome? I REALLY like their black wheels, stuck between those and eagles if my dad will even let me get new wheels...
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2015, 10:56:24 PM »
I'm leaning towards the black and machined.

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2015, 11:16:56 PM »
I like them because the white(assuming that's white, could be the lightening) and black match the rest of my truck. Probably the only set of wheels that looks good with lug nut spikes. I'm completely unsure, not even sure my dad will let me get wheels anyways because "I need to save my money" because he has it in his head the truck is about to break down.

The more I look at it I can tell its chrome not white.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 11:21:09 PM by Pulley »
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 12:45:28 AM »
Dittos on Discount/Americas tire. They came and got my wife with kids in tow when a new tire went flat. And they don't have road service.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 07:47:29 AM »

Looks like the back end of an engine on one of the jets I flew

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 10:11:58 AM »

Looks like the back end of an engine on one of the jets I flew

All the more reason to get them!
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 10:20:40 AM »
Everything Tex and JR said about Discount Tire. Best place in this town.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 12:34:10 PM »
So everyone agrees if you want a good MT that the Toyo MT's are hard to beat? Needing to get a set of MT's for JK before winter hits, always ran the old BFG MT's but those new KM2's bring the suck as far as I'm concerned they wear way too quick.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2015, 01:18:52 PM »
Agreed on the KM2s.
I thought the toyos were junk, just by looking at past 50% treadwear on the ones coming into the shop. They seem to always be chopped up by then, but i read nothing but good reviews on them. Maybe my customers aren't rotating properly, or all have bad shocks. IDK.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2015, 01:24:44 PM »
I sold the living snot out of Toyos for years before moving to differential parts. worked for a smaller outfit on the west coast Les Schwab. I can vouch for the MT's. treat them well with good rotation schedule and inflation and 50k is a legitimate number. I sipe the center group of lugs but not the outers on HD trucks. all the way on jeeps and lighter vehicles but outer lugs on heavy trucks tend to chunk out. My absolute favorite is the Toyo M55 pinned for studs. last forever, great traction like the old interco buckshots, quieter than most M/T's but cost a fortune.

X2 on the bad shocks. Like the older wild country RVT's, they will scallop badly with poor shocks. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 01:26:04 PM by EL TATE »
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2015, 01:28:18 PM »
I've been happy with both firestone destination M/T and BFG M/T. Both are very noisy though. The firestones didn't hold up as well on the highway as the BFG.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2015, 02:25:16 PM »
I have no input on which tire is better but I will put in a vote for Sam's Club for buying tires. They provide mounting, new valve stems, lifetime road hazard, lifetime balancing and lifetime rotation all for $15.00 per tire. I have found them to be the cheapest when I add all the moving parts together versus other places.  Granted not everyone has a membership but if you do its worth checking out.  But I would check it anyway....might be worth it if there is one close to you. Just my $0.02.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2015, 03:23:11 PM »
Thanks Tate for the input. If you sold tires, I value your opinion. My operation is pretty small, so not a good sampling.

I'm thinking of getting out from under these Grapplers...they're starting to drive me nuts (and I'm half deaf!).
Toyo M/T it will be (see how that rhymed?)

Wilber, I'm boycotting Sam's. I went in there with a shop list of expendables, filled the cart full to the tune of about 1400 (which included one of those fancy igloo Yeti look-a-likes, for Ken's huntin'), rolled up to the checkout with the shop visa in hand, and they say "sorry sir, we don't accept visa". I said wtf, left my cart sitting there, felt guilty, went back and paid with my personal monies. EErrr   The door greeter said "but we take them at the fuel pumps" and to that I said "I didn't come here for gas" and left.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 03:25:42 PM by KensAuto »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2015, 04:07:29 PM »
We have Costco out here, in fact they put one in back in Indiana a year before we left and I liked it mo' better than Sam's. They usually have a good tire sale around Nov ish. Put bridgestones on wifes car a year go and essentially bought 3 and received one free.

OK, back to MT's will take a look at Toyo's and see what they will run me for a set.

Thanks Tate for the input. If you sold tires, I value your opinion. My operation is pretty small, so not a good sampling.

I'm thinking of getting out from under these Grapplers...they're starting to drive me nuts (and I'm half deaf!).
Toyo M/T it will be (see how that rhymed?)

Wilber, I'm boycotting Sam's. I went in there with a shop list of expendables, filled the cart full to the tune of about 1400 (which included one of those fancy igloo Yeti look-a-likes, for Ken's huntin'), rolled up to the checkout with the shop visa in hand, and they say "sorry sir, we don't accept visa". I said wtf, left my cart sitting there, felt guilty, went back and paid with my personal monies. EErrr   The door greeter said "but we take them at the fuel pumps" and to that I said "I didn't come here for gas" and left.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Mud tire thread
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2015, 06:25:58 PM »
I just put a set of duratracs on our Sierra, ran em on our Chevy before this too. Have found them to be capable in all things I do with my truck. KNew a guy who wheeled them on his 4Runner and also loves them. That being said, the shop I worked at in Wyoming sells the the M55s by the truck load it seems. Lots of oilfield trucks, electric company trucks and a handful of ranch trucks. It's a small town shop but the only reliable place to buy tires in that town, and every time I stop by there he's got a set waiting to be installed... For what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 06:34:12 PM by wyorunner »

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2015, 07:27:45 AM »
I sold the living snot out of Toyos for years before moving to differential parts. worked for a smaller outfit on the west coast Les Schwab. I can vouch for the MT's. treat them well with good rotation schedule and inflation and 50k is a legitimate number. I sipe the center group of lugs but not the outers on HD trucks. all the way on jeeps and lighter vehicles but outer lugs on heavy trucks tend to chunk out. My absolute favorite is the Toyo M55 pinned for studs. last forever, great traction like the old interco buckshots, quieter than most M/T's but cost a fortune.

X2 on the bad shocks. Like the older wild country RVT's, they will scallop badly with poor shocks.

I'm running the M55's right now. I've passed 30+k on them now and they're holding up great. I haven't measured them but I'd guess over 50% left. These wear like iron, prior to these was running Nitto Terra's, hardly get 30K out of them. I had to order them in, (next day) as none of the shops I deal with stock them, and were easy enough to get. The guy at the shop said same type of sales mainly, oilfield, mining, etc, rough service use.
He was right! Now, the price, yikes! Not for the faint of heart, but if I can run them 2+ times longer, worth it.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
Good info

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2015, 05:45:05 PM »

I'm running the M55's right now. I've passed 30+k on them now and they're holding up great. I haven't measured them but I'd guess over 50% left. These wear like iron, prior to these was running Nitto Terra's, hardly get 30K out of them. I had to order them in, (next day) as none of the shops I deal with stock them, and were easy enough to get. The guy at the shop said same type of sales mainly, oilfield, mining, etc, rough service use.
He was right! Now, the price, yikes! Not for the faint of heart, but if I can run them 2+ times longer, worth it.

These are my Nittos after about 5000 miles.

I'm pretty hard on them (loose rocks, pipeline ROWs, terrible lease roads etc). But still they shouldn't chew up like that after so few miles.  I had always wondered about them because every time I shop for tires they are close to cheapest ones available.  I know now and won't make that $1300 mistake again.   

I had the Toyo mt  as the first set of tires I bought for my truck.  I wasn't off roading as much as I am now but I had zero complaints. Great road manners, great in the snow.  I drove through three bad snow storms from NE to PA right after I got them and they worked awesome.  Just pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2015, 08:24:25 PM »
I had one set of Nittos also, not again.

My Coopers STTS are wearing great. 5K on em and no wear I see easy.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2015, 09:02:05 PM »
For 5,000 miles, those look terrible!

OldKooT

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2015, 09:27:03 AM »
I have some Goodyear MTR's with 3000 ish miles on them that are so tore up you can hardly distinguish the tread pattern. Rock/gravel roads will decimate most any tire.

Most locals around here use the KM2 because it holds up best on our gravel. I am sure region and road types make a huge difference.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2015, 12:29:05 PM »
I have some Goodyear MTR's with 3000 ish miles on them that are so tore up you can hardly distinguish the tread pattern. Rock/gravel roads will decimate most any tire.

Most locals around here use the KM2 because it holds up best on our gravel. I am sure region and road types make a huge difference.

To follow on Norms remark
If you are doing a lot of off roading or driving on crushed rock roads, then don't think about tire life because it is not something that is a possibility for you!

A lot (well, all) of the FOB's (Forward Operating Bases) over in the Afghanistan were hastily built and laid down on gravel, actually crushed rock, something in abundance over there. Tires were always getting chunked, including the very expensive ones on my aircraft.

Someone like Norm who wouldn't know a paved road if you parked him on one is living on those crushed rock roads. He has the worst conditions for tire life.

If you do a lot of driving on that, I don't know a tire that will last. The Special Forces guys switched to Gumbo Mudders and Cooper SST's to try and get bot some life, and some traction.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2015, 07:42:23 PM »
My semi educated guess would be that the harder the compound the better.  harder compounds are bad on normal roads because they get poor traction.  On gravel that's not really an issue.  19.5 inch wheels and commercial tires would probably get you more life they just dont look as cool

OldKooT

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2015, 08:10:07 AM »
Our new project will likely roll with 42" swampers that i will have spun ground to make round.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2015, 08:49:37 AM »
Our new project will likely roll with 42" swampers that i will have spun ground to make round.

Amazing how out of round those Gumbo tires are! I couldn't use anything north of a 35 without trimming it!

OldKooT

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2015, 01:03:36 PM »
Yah mold quality on many tires is pretty bad these days. But after a proper "rounding" on a tire grinder I have run swampers 100mph with no vibration or wobble. Since this next one wnt be a square dodge i may even go up in size to 44 we shall see.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2015, 05:51:28 PM »
Here's my M55's. Pic is horrible in the dark and wet.
Still over 1/4" tread left. Passed 40k miles today on them.
I've finally found tires that can take the rock.
For the guys tearing up tires, these are expensive but tough.
All previous attempts were shredded and replaced before 30k miles on my truck.
Some never made 20...

Sam

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2015, 10:35:10 PM »

What is this spun ground you speak of? Burnouts?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2015, 10:04:15 AM »

What is this spun ground you speak of? Burnouts?
No, you know about grinding tires round, right?

A machine rotates the wheel while a knife scalps the high areas, effectively making the tires round.

Those old swampers and any tire that company made was never round, but they got great traction in extreme conditions. So we'd buy the tires, mount then, have them cut round

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal