Hello Guest

Author Topic: Re: Brakes, axle seals, wheel bearing replacement.  (Read 4744 times)

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Brakes, axle seals, wheel bearing replacement.
« on: March 08, 2015, 04:12:44 PM »
So, first up break wheel nuts free, jack and support the rear axle.
Remove rear tire, and you're ready to begin.

Most likely you'll need to spray the rotor/hub mating point, as they'll be fused together with rusty goodness.
Let the PB Blaster soak while you remove the caliper, set on rear leaf, or if they are being replaced it could be removed.
If you have the annoying "clunking" sounds over bumps, it may be your caliper pins are worn. This is a common problem, and the re-pin kits I used did not last very long. I picked up remans for a very reasonable price a couple summers ago while on vacation in Ohio, and they are holding up well.
You can then begin trying to get the rotor off the hub. \this is where the hammers come into play. I smacked around over under etc to shock the rust free. Then used pry bars as a striking face for hitting outwards against, as the dust shield covers much of the rotor.

And here is the ugly proof of the required axle seal change.

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Brakes, axle seals, wheel bearing replacement.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 05:00:13 PM »
To remove the hub, you need to pull the axle. We're luck to have the full floater, so it is as simple as removing the bolts from the hub, and pulling the axle out. If you can find axle gaskets, I'd recommend getting them, but you may luck out and not tear the existing ones. I have yet to be able to find them, and refuse to buy them from the stealer, so mine are still originals, and have been off more than once.

Have a catch bucket under the hub as you remove the axle, as the hub will be full of oil.
Next up, remove the orange retainer ring from the threads.

Then remove the key stock from the keyway.

You can now remove the hub nut. It most likely will be 'loose' and you won't need a socket to remove it.

That is my home made axle nut socket in the picture as well.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 05:00:52 PM »
Now, you may be as tight as me some days, and just clean up the pads for re-use, just be careful if you do that they are COMPLETELY free of oil/dirt residue. I did not do this this time, as my factory originals have served me well, and will all be replaced as it is complete redo time for my brakes.

Tear down the emergency brakes and do a thorough cleaning of the whole area.

Clean up the hub as well, then R&R the seal.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 05:01:19 PM »
Build the emergency brakes back up once all is cleaned.

Then install the rotor and caliper. If you are changing the pads, split the caliper, pull it apart and slide the old ones out and the new ones in. Forgot to get a picture of that. Slide the axle back in, and torque bolts to 140 ft/lbs.

Then torque the caliper bolts. I used 120 ft/lbs as I could not find the specs I use normally.

Just a shot of the work area and the tools I was using for this end.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 05:03:02 PM »
hows this for you sam?

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 05:13:49 PM »
Ok you've caught me as I took a break. I'll continue to roll in this one.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 07:21:52 PM »
So on to the front, jack, support, pull wheel.
The caliper is removed, split in half and resting on the upper control arm, and rotor is off in this picture.

Here is the new and old rotor, and the other half of the front caliper.
This is why the fronts are being replaced.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 07:28:25 PM »
This wheel bearing scared me when I jacked up the truck. There was a ton of play in it, and definitely needed to be done.
I had to do the other one in the fall, for whatever reason I was ale to get well over 170k on the first, and 184 on this one.

Removal of the axle nut requires a 36mm socket, a 2 foot breaker bar, 4 wheel drive engaged, and more than a whole lot of grunt. I'm a pretty big guy, 6 foot 250, and it was about all I had to break it loose.

Take this opportunity to unhook and unclip the ABS sensor before loosening the four spindle bolts that hold the bearing assembly on.

Then remove the four 15mm bolts that secure it, and remove the bearing.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 07:34:34 PM »
New vs old wheel bearings. Clean up the spindle if you collect mud/dirt like I do, transfer the dust shield over to the new bearing and install.

I think I torqued the four bolts to 140 ft/lbs.
Then torqued the axle nut to 230 ft/lbs.

Installed the new pads and rotor and buttoned it all back up.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 07:38:24 PM »
An aside for anyone who is having troubles keeping axle seals, ie: blowing on a regular basis, check your diff vent.
On mine it is tucked away safely by the fuel fill hose, and likely is still on the NBS trucks.

This is the second and third time I've had seals go, but this time was both, so I checked my vent. It was clear, so may have just been that it was a lot of miles on them.

Here it is, dropped down to clean up.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 07:39:44 PM »
An aside for anyone who is having troubles keeping axle seals, ie: blowing on a regular basis, check your diff vent.
On mine it is tucked away safely by the fuel fill hose, and likely is still on the NBS trucks.

This is the second and third time I've had seals go, but this time was both, so I checked my vent. It was clear, so may have just been that it was a lot of miles on them.

Here it is, dropped down to clean up. There was a bunch of dirt on and around it, but not plugged up.

Sam

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 08:40:39 PM »
Good info here!

You boyz had me all konfuzed with front (Sam) going to rear (Nate) back to Sam...

But I hung in there.

I don't have a ton of faith in those wheel bearings especially with a setup like mine where I have slightly offset (to the outside) wheels and larger tires.  So far, so good, but I'm only at like 46,000 miles
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 08:48:52 PM »
Good info here!

You boyz had me all konfuzed with front (Sam) going to rear (Nate) back to Sam...

But I hung in there.

I don't have a ton of faith in those wheel bearings especially with a setup like mine where I have slightly offset (to the outside) wheels and larger tires.  So far, so good, but I'm only at like 46,000 miles

That was one thing that stands out, the lifted and larger offset seems to load up the steering a lot.
I'm stock, and after all these years and miles, probably lower than stock, and this has probably maximized the life of my front end stuff.
Sam

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 08:52:38 PM »
That's why I picked up that F350 High Pinion king pin Dana 60 front axle...To make all that stock chebby suspension and steering and unit bearing stuff go away and get back to basics!

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 09:00:02 PM »
Amen.

But first you need to get Square D going... 8)
And I know that has progressed to Guinness World record oil change.

Pokedon!
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 11:25:19 PM »
That's why I picked up that F350 High Pinion king pin Dana 60 front axle...To make all that stock chebby suspension and steering and unit bearing stuff go away and get back to basics!

DOT ALERT: Is that the right axle to SAS the OBS?  I have an LB7 I was thinking about SASing but I don't know squat about what axle to use.  Its got a 12 inch lift on it now and I want it down to about a 6 inch with 35s and a SAS would be icing on the cake
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 12:11:21 AM »
Solid vs IFS will always be a debate. Ride vs flex etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Been through a couple hubs on mine at 100k but will do new ones again with the lift. That should help too with less angle.

I have also lost on upper ball joint, but that was easy. The IFS hubs are also build so they cannot just come apart.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 12:12:31 AM »
Ahh, SD will never run,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 11:39:39 AM »

DOT ALERT: Is that the right axle to SAS the OBS?  I have an LB7 I was thinking about SASing but I don't know squat about what axle to use.  Its got a 12 inch lift on it now and I want it down to about a 6 inch with 35s and a SAS would be icing on the cake
Yep, its the optimum axle.
Strongest ever D60 with a driver side drop and has a high pinion which reduces the pinion angle. Set in the truck at a 4"-6" lift it would look stock sitting on 35's.
Warning: A solid front axle will not ride the same (Read rougher) than a cushy IFS.
But here's the thing. The IFS is like washing your feet with your socks on. It's just not real. Me: I can live with a rougher riding truck, in fact, I prefer it. Not dump truck hard mind ya, but I like to know something KKP (Kia Killin' Possible) is up there threatening all these micro bug kars messing up the streets with their coffee kan exhausts. Sorry, got off subject there...
The IFS is so full of compromises on a HD truck that it is just a fail in my view. It's hard on steering. Mine lasted all of 20K before it was dangerously worn, as in when I discovered it, drive 25mph with the 4-ways on to the shop! IFS has crappy wheel bearings. Unit things that can't take the strain of an extra mudball for more than a day. IFS gets knocked out of wack when you hit something like a deep pothole. In an accident you will most likely not be driving away, so in a survival situation, you might not be able to after trying to smash through a road block with things bigger than cars
BTW, how many have ever trained running roadblocks? I/we have. Certain groups in the militere get to crunch fenders in training! Yup!
So, I know
There is an example for you in the bible my misguided son

Doubting Thomas!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 02:35:16 AM »
Had to through that in Don. We have all been waiting and the DOTs are getting restless!! I can't be all bad, I did find you guys, right?

Re-reading I saw where you use a breaker on the cv nut. I just hit myine with a air gun and they break loose easy. For torquing though, I just wait till I'm done when the wheel is on the ground and have a 3/4 bar for that.

Oh, and I carry an extra hub. Got a cheapo for like $50, but when you need one you need one!!!

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 08:38:27 AM »
Had to through that in Don. We have all been waiting and the DOTs are getting restless!! I can't be all bad, I did find you guys, right?

Re-reading I saw where you use a breaker on the cv nut. I just hit myine with a air gun and they break loose easy. For torquing though, I just wait till I'm done when the wheel is on the ground and have a 3/4 bar for that.

Oh, and I carry an extra hub. Got a cheapo for like $50, but when you need one you need one!!!
Messin' with ya, it's all good!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal