Hello Guest

Author Topic: Use for old engine.  (Read 1181 times)

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
Use for old engine.
« on: August 21, 2015, 11:07:28 AM »
So I'm sitting here thinking about what to do with the IDI after I swap the 12 valve into my truck.  The hit and miss engine thread got me thinking. 

What would be a good way to repurpose the engine?  I know I can sell it for 500-1000 but is there something I could do with it that would be more worthwhile?   without the tranny it would be one speed of course. I looked up some generator heads and a 15kw head only needs 18-25hp to run. The idi is rated at I think 190 so that's a bit overkill.  Any other ideas?

OldKooT

Re: Use for old engine.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 12:06:15 PM »
Hmmmmmm.....not sure ATM ..but ya can buy a bellhousing and such for those as a stationary engine. Which means you could actually run a manual trans behind it stationary as well. Still no ideas as of yet LoL

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 06:44:46 PM »
I was also thinking the same thing recently. I've got a spare 24v 5.9 cummins. Like you I had thought about the generator idea, but 235 hp is a lot of kW!

Another idea I had was to build a tracked off road vehicle of some sort. Maybe either use hydrostatic drives on each track, like a tracked skid steer, or maybe use the motor to power a big electric motor on each track? Definitely not cheap ideas, but fun to imagine nonetheless.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 08:09:20 AM »
Since it is the middle of winter up here in MN I have always thought about building one of these.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw-propelled_vehicle

The Fordson.  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo31_3UzTTY
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal