PERSONAL READINESS > Bug-Out Bag and Camping gear

Dispersed camping with vehicle must have equipment

(1/12) > >>

stlaser:
Ok, so yeah I've taken a 4x into the wild unknown and survived. I was 20ish, single and beer was the essential part of the equation. Did the same at ball state university many weekends too but somehow I think I was more prepared then than now! So fast forward twenty years and the plan is to do this from my truck with teenage girls and wife  :shocked:  & now you understand why I feel intimidated!

So we have standard gear such as tent, bags, sleeping pads & cooking equipment including some cast iron & a camp chef stove with griddle. Those with more relevant experience (I progressed to expensive bourbon on occasion btw so beer doesn't have the sustainment value any longer) what is on the must have list. For reference we're planning a couple weekend Rockies trips then a longer ten day trip end of June with camping in Yellowstone & primitive cabin in Glacier. On that trip we will mix in a couple of hotel stays on that journey too. This trip is at campgrounds for most part btw.

wyorunner:
One thing we always like to have is some kind of wash bin/pale thing. Something that can carry water if needed but is also able to wash your largest dish. We normally don't have to carry water because we often bring 20 gallons in our scepter jugs, so we mostly focus on the wash ability factor.

Some campgrounds have an area that you can wash dishes, but I'm not sure this is the case in Yellowstone because bears are mildly problematic.

You have probably done this or planned to, but air up your pads to ensure they hold air for a night or three. Test you stove to make sure it is still functional and check the amount of stove fuel you have before leaving...none of these are fun to deal with.

Oh and a tarp for unexpected monsoons.....nothing like getting up in the middle of the night to cover your tent with the rain fly on it.... thank big agnes!

stlaser:
Couple of our totes that we store dishes / pots and pans in function in this fashion as a wash basin. Our plan is to bring a couple 5 gallon water bottles with us as we have a stand & valve for them (we have many 5 gallon bottles as part of our backup). On the dispersed trips we're also staying near water sources in the Rockies. One place I have in mind is at around 10k in elevation up near Leadville, CO.

As far as Yellowstone they must have a system in place for this as bear incidents in the campgrounds are non existent so they claim at least. We are staying at "bridge bay camp" for reference in case anyone has experience there.

Copy on tarps, fuel and air pads too

We picked up seam sealer for the tent tonight & plan on treating that shortly. Also picked up a nice canvas bag to store our fire cooking tools in as here at home they just hang in the shed.

Wilbur:
Take a look at the Cabelas camp kitchen. Cooking on the end of a picnic table can be a pita. The camp kitchen gives you side table space for ingredients and finished food. This can free the table up for prep and eating.

Some people when worried about bears will cook at a different spot than the campsite so no lingering odors in the site to attract bears. (The joke is to bring a steak and throw it under the car in the campsite 2 down from yours. When you hear the commotion you'll have time to get in your vehicle and leave.  :wink:)

I would tarp the whole thing, just make sure you have serious tie down ability. Those late afternoon hail storms in the Rockies can mess your day up.

Flashlights for everyone for the evening run to the bathroom if you need it.

Give everyone journals to write in. In a year or two go back and read them. They are great re-visits. My wife just pulled out the one from our first trip together out west 25 years ago. It's great to go back in time....the kids will enjoy doing that too.

Other camp/vehicle necessities- bino's (for family trips I load up all my mini pairs for the kids), obviously tools, belts, hoses, and recovery gear.

I love DeLorme maps for seeing a larger swath of area and finding side trips to take. But some of the 4WD books (Wyoming Backroads) can be great as they will discern for you the easier trails from the hardcore trails- the DeLorme just shows a county road. But know that lots of those roads are easy dry tracks that any stock vehicle can do so don't be put off by seeing that they are dirt. But obviously some are really hairy too and that's where the trail guidebooks can be a big help. If I think of more I'll add it later.

Sounds like an awesome trip!

cudakidd53:
Heavy mil plastic for just shy of the footprint of the tent(s) - this will keep you from soaking up ground moisture as you sleep.  You could also augment that with same size coverage of thin foam sheet/wrap that they use for fragile shipping or wrapping electronics.  Gives a little insulation and minimizes the knee cap crushing pressure of small rocks and roots while crawling around looking for whatever you can't seem to find in close quarters!  You want those layers smaller than the tent footprint so that rain/dew doesn't run down the exterior tent wall, onto the plastic and magically pool directly under YOUR backside as you sleep........swamp a$& is a rotten feeling!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version