Hello Guest

Author Topic: Birthday gun  (Read 271 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Birthday gun
« on: April 20, 2024, 09:23:36 AM »
Yesterday I turned 70

I have only ever done that once. It is unlikely I will ever do that again.

My wife thinks that is a significant number, and frankly having been a warrior with seven combat tours, it is a number I could hardly have guessed I would ever see. But here I am all golden aged and everything!

Most of my family was here. One Pre-Ranger is still on duty with the 3rd Infantry Division, and one "nearly-ranger" is all tied up with that pesky 75th Ranger Regiment training. Man, those guys are all so serious! ;-) And one really old one is stuck on a mountainside somewhere in Utah on a two-wheeled death machine.

But the rest of em were here and were crawling all over me for some time until the burgers and cake and ice cream ran out and the sleep monster came to visit.

Kat handed me a big heavy box to open. It felt heavier than a stack of cinder blocks (because it was!) On the top were two bags of lawn fertilizer...Oh, boy :-( Nest was another bag of specialized fertilizer for the pines we have :-( Then things started to change. There was this huge box of Oreo cookies. Odd, because I don't eat them but, she does...Hmmm. There were another two boxes of Reece's butter cups, not my fav but they just happened to be her favorite candy. Below that was this several-pound box of peanut M$M's that sadly, I do like and then there was a separately wrapped box. This one contained a GoPro camera! Ah, things were getting better. Below that was a myriad of boxes of all manner of Go-Pro stuff and below that one remaining box of deck shoes. I wear them out quickly and am in desperate need of a new pair. Inside that box, wrapped up in the shoe box paper was a brand-new Smith and Wesson Model 629!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday gun
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2024, 09:26:13 AM »
I believe I just got that .44 Magnum I have been writing/talking about for the past few months!

This is nearly an exact copy of the 629 I carried in a shoulder holster as an Army Aero Scout in the early 1980's when I patrolled the East German border.

It closes the loop for me and brings me right back to that time.

It is a forever gun for me. I will carry it proudly along with my Marlin 45/70 on my upcoming western adventures.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2024, 12:21:53 PM »
Very cool
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 09:07:31 PM »
Looks nice. Now you need to throw in on the ground and get the first scratch or scratches out of the way. It's like ripping a bandaid off, just rip and get it over with.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2024, 09:46:21 PM »
And look it is in just in your size. Very sweet She is a keeper

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2024, 11:31:05 PM »
Happy Birthday Chief!  I have a nice recipe for that 629, having one myself.  230gn at 1450fps.  Attention getter for sure.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2024, 08:57:06 AM »
Looks nice. Now you need to throw in on the ground and get the first scratch or scratches out of the way. It's like ripping a bandaid off, just rip and get it over with.
OK, Sergeant...
How bout we settle for some good ole holster rash?
;-)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2024, 09:01:37 AM »
Happy Birthday Chief!  I have a nice recipe for that 629, having one myself.  230gn at 1450fps.  Attention getter for sure.
Care to share?
Norm, my Armee/Police buddy from West (by-God) Virginia has a special 200+ FPS 405 gr. hand load recipe he shared for that gun. I put 4-5 of them through the weapon, and, ya...A real (kicker) attention getter ;-)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2024, 09:03:06 AM »
One day, I'm gonna dig through my ancient 1980s Germany pics to see if I can find a photo of my original 629...

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2024, 09:41:10 AM »
OK, Sergeant...
How bout we settle for some good ole holster rash?
;-)

Sure I suppose that'll work.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2024, 10:44:37 AM »
That is a nice piece there chief.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2024, 11:08:15 AM »
Thank ya!

It's my second as I have stated, and like, everyone I know also has one...

You probably have one too, right?

It would be a great gun for you and for what you do. Magnum handgun and all that. Btw, my first magnum handgun was actually a S&W .41 magnum in blued steel. That was a darned powerful shooter in its own right. I purchased it to take whitetail but sold it before I ever hunted with it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 11:10:36 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2024, 01:21:34 PM »
Thank ya!

It's my second as I have stated, and like, everyone I know also has one...

You probably have one too, right?

It would be a great gun for you and for what you do. Magnum handgun and all that. Btw, my first magnum handgun was actually a S&W .41 magnum in blued steel. That was a darned powerful shooter in its own right. I purchased it to take whitetail but sold it before I ever hunted with it.
I have a blued 686 in 357 magnum with the 6” barrel.
Yep. We’ve all got one. lol.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 01:23:16 PM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2024, 06:35:58 PM »
Sam, my hearing doc told me the 357 is the hardest on the hearing of most any caliber. I can hardly hear without aids and they only help a little.
Funny part is, with all the shooting I have done, the 357 is probably the least shot of anything in the safe. Hearing protection is a great thing to use but in my younger years hardly anyone wore them including me. Can’t say my hearing is gone because of shooting but it didn’t help.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 06:37:30 PM by Bob Smith »

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2024, 09:34:24 PM »
Sam, my hearing doc told me the 357 is the hardest on the hearing of most any caliber. I can hardly hear without aids and they only help a little.
Funny part is, with all the shooting I have done, the 357 is probably the least shot of anything in the safe. Hearing protection is a great thing to use but in my younger years hardly anyone wore them including me. Can’t say my hearing is gone because of shooting but it didn’t help.

I’ll agree with you Bob. 
It packs a heck of a report.
My 300 is probably louder to me, but may actually not be.
I’ve lost a lot of my hearing as well.
Some from shooting.
Some from woodworking.
Some from work.
Don’t need aids at this point but don’t have a lot left before I do.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2024, 09:48:21 PM »

I’ll agree with you Bob. 
Some from shooting.
Some from woodworking.
Some from work.

I wish I lost all my hearing from your list, but it went the way of rotor blades and turbine engines

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2024, 07:11:40 AM »

I’ll agree with you Bob. 
Some from shooting.
Some from woodworking.
Some from work.

I wish I lost all my hearing from your list, but it went the way of rotor blades and turbine engines
Same, but J57 water burners and TF 33 did mine in. 24 years of working around aircraft and let me not forget those wonderful cart starts

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2024, 10:52:30 AM »

I’ll agree with you Bob. 
Some from shooting.
Some from woodworking.
Some from work.

Same, but J57 water burners and TF 33 did mine in. 24 years of working around aircraft and let me not forget those wonderful cart starts

To be certain, you, sir lived in the noisiest environment of all of us!

J-57: F4?

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2024, 11:46:04 AM »
J-57 : EC 135 Not all of them got the turbo fans

Offline Flyin6