TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > Hand Tools, Power Tools, Welders, etc

New Lathe and Mill for the shop

(1/16) > >>

KensAuto:
I've been wanting these 2 tools, for myself, for quite awhile. My (work) tool budget allowed it to happen, but still had to keep it cheap to some degree. I'm not a fan of Anything China when it comes to precision, but don't have the time to restore a classic American lathe or mill either.
After some research, it appeared that Grizzly would be a decent choice for my price range.
They showed up Thursday, just as I was getting ready for my camping trip with the wife, so I didn't get to unbox them until today.

Here's the Model 9972z lathe. It's an 11x26 version (it has 11" work area and up to 26" long project)

...sitting on the pedestal :

Hopefully JR takes it easy on me!!

KensAuto:
....and then, as I was bolting it down, grinning ear to ear, I saw this and my stomach started turning:

That is a major crack...in the bed of the lathe. Not good. I started cursing and making racial slurs referring to some country that this was made in, and then quickly apologizing to the guy upstairs, shortly after sending pics back to the company.
...well, I guess that's what I get for cheaping out.

KensAuto:
After I cooled down a bit, I went to unboxing the mill to check for flaws. It's a Grizzly G0754 with power feed and all gear driven instead of a belt. She weighs in at about 700lbs. This machine looks like it was made in an entirely different factory, and looks awesome as far as fit and finish goes. I'm still waiting on it's pedestal, which happens to be on backorder.

I'll take some more pics when I get it set up.

Bob Smith:
Deep breath my friend. It will work out fine.

JR:
Nice start if if your getting into it. I really can't see the model numbers, guessing the lathe is a 13-40? I can't tell if it is a gap bed (good for turning BIG stuff)

To bad about the crack, makes it sorta worthless,,,,,,,,,,,,

Grizzly is the same as JET and several others. Mine worked good until I had my little fire and did this;

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version