PERSONAL READINESS > Bug-Out Bag and Camping gear

Overlander equipment for extended trip

(1/9) > >>

Flyin6:
So this thread will be dedicated to examining and documenting the use of a myriad of "Camping" gear that will be used in my Overlander 2002 Suburban.

The vehicle is set up for three, stretchable to four people for semi extended romps into parts unknown.

In another series of threads (Link shown below) you can see the development of the vehicle from a stock Suburban 2500, semi-heavy duty 4WD into a full blown off road, overland capable vehicle

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=3703.0

The vehicle is but one component to the "System" of stuff that is needed to make all this workout

We will have to eat, sleep, do our proper biologics, shower, relax, stay healthy, stay out of the weather and a host of other things. Everything we need to do this needs to be sourced from the four-wheeled monster that ultimately gets us there. Admittedly, we require a lot more "Stuff", but there simply isn't room.

I have planned for a month long maiden voyage if you will that will span an entire month and cross most of the United States in a big 7,000 mile loop. My hope is to use the truck several times during the year for weekend family outings which I use not only for valuable memory building, but also for teaching and honing of survival skills. In the years to come I plan to expand into a towed off road trailer which would provide much of what I have forementioned, leaving the vehicle free to maybe scoot down to a nearby town for some ice cream or to visit some interesting attraction. But that is not the case now.

So what have I got going so far? Well we have purchased a sizeable roof tent, built a roof rack, purchased a bargo basket to carry more junk, built interior storage and began adding stuff everywhere.

It seems logical at this point to purchase and collect a bunch of the items we will be carrying so that I can sort out just how I am going to store everything.

To that end, I made a sizeable order to REI this afternoon to get some of that stuff coming in.

Flyin6:
Well, I think it goes without saying that we will need a table or two. Here is one big enough to eat off of and cook on as well. We chose an Alps mountain folder made of aluminum

A normal seat height chair will scoot right underneath it so a normal noisy family dinner is definitely in the offing!

Flyin6:
We will need a Loo, so Reliant will provide the throne for those thoughtful moments. It comes with plastic bags that both gel liquids and provide for rapid decomposition

Flyin6:
You wouldn't want to just sit out in the open pondering life, so a bit of privacy will be afforded by this cool Kelty bathroom sixed annex that we can stake downwind near the hippy's tents

Flyin6:
That enclosure will also provide for space in which to shower.

I purchased this nifty portable pressurized shower unit. Fill it with 11 liters of water, then pump the vessel up with the foot pump and it says it will provide for 5-7 minutes of shower time

It stores down to a little roll which is maybe 8" in diameter and stands perhaps 6" tall.

Compact, lightweight, functionality, and perhaps dual/triple purpose is the name of the game when outfitting a vehicle

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version