FOOD CORNER > Farming, Gardening, and Raising Your Own Food

New Garden with the kids

(1/4) > >>

EL TATE:
So Cyndie took the kids to the country store in town, (sort of like a co-op) and got some seeds. Came home last night and she tells me, "well honey, we're going to do the garden you wanted finally, but we have to get it done tonight since we're going camping this weekend and you're working the next two nights". So from 5:30 to 7:00 me and Sam, (my oldest) and his buddy Kegan dug through the dry dusty rocks and dead grass out by our fire pit and came up with this little starter garden. Sophie and her little neighbor buddy Landon planted pumpkins, sunflowers, zucchini, carrots and radishes. They had a blast and will be maintaining this patch on their own. didn't get any "before" pics to show how desolate it was before but just look around the sides there and you'll get a good idea.

Flyin6:
The two "W's"

Water

Weeds

Have fun!

EL TATE:
As you can see by the condition of the grass around the garden, sunlight is not an issue. I've got a sprinkler head that will irrigate the whole garden at once that Sam will be running twice a day. Sophie is on weed duty. Depending on the outcome of this project, we have about 4 acres of surrounding property to play with. and a neighborhood that is interested in getting involved.

Dawg25385:
That is awesome! Nothin' like homegrown veggies and fruit!

You're going to have GREAT sun/heat over the next couple weeks to germinate those seeds in a hurry. (Don't tell the rest of the country that think it rains here year round). Water water water. If you guys are going to be away from home at all for any duration, these in line programmable spigot timers work awesome too and are cheap! http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-62061N-91213-Single-Dial-Water-Timer/dp/B004INGS8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435076487&sr=8-1&keywords=hose+timer

EL TATE:
Ordered! Nice find, we were petitioning or neighbor to keep up with the watering while we're camping. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version