FOOD CORNER > Farming, Gardening, and Raising Your Own Food

First time @ large(r) scale gardening.

<< < (2/14) > >>

Wilbur:
Looks like a great start! Wind will kill seedlings pdq if you're not careful for sure. I have never had good luck starting seedlings indoors and transplanting them....I've had them get spindly or I kill then trying to harden them for transplant.

As a kid we always mulched the garden with hay. We rarely rototilled it and the hay continues to build nutrients for the soil as well as trapping water really well. That being said it does introduce weeds which need picking occasionally.

I want to try wood chips like this guy uses....I think it will do all the things I want out of cover (weed control, moisture retention and nutrient regen) but not introduce more seeds to the mix. Plus I can't help but enjoy his passion for what he's doing. One of the best parts about our garden is giving fresh produce to neighbors who don't have a garden. There is nothing better than produce that was picked minutes before being served on the table imo.

Www.backtoedenfilm.com

I will warn you the video is pretty long but lots of good stuff in this.

stlaser:
We always planted russets & sometimes whatever else the farm store had for options, but mainly russets. I always pulled the dirt mound up 2-3x as well.

stewie:
im not going to plant everything until they're a few weeks old. to the south we have a nice tree line so that will help with the summer winds. for north/west winds i plan to plant the corn to use as a buffer. i've spent a lot of time studying how the winds blow and effect the property. it's much worse in the fall/winter when the surrounding fields do not have any corn growing on them.

as for the potatoes, we're going to grow them in a separate area in buckets/bins and we decided to go with "salad tables" for the lettuce/spinach. Now, i just need to build all this crap.

stlaser:
When u start building & planting we will need pics

stewie:

--- Quote from: Farmer Jon on February 12, 2017, 11:28:25 AM ---

This is how we plant my sweet corn. I can't remember the last time I used a tiller.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

im far from that stage of planting. one we get more settled and learn a bit more, i have asked our lease/tenant farmer to teach me a few things. he just rolls up at odd hours of the day with tractors the size of my house. for a city boy, it's quite fascinating, lol.

i think i lost 10 pounds of breakfast tacos and gained 10 pounds of muscle mass between operating that tiller and moving all that rock over the weekend.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version