Hello Guest

Author Topic: Kyle's LBZ Build  (Read 59767 times)

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Kyle's LBZ Build
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2015, 01:22:16 PM »
When it's all installed and done, what does a set of those wheels cost?  And are you guys typically ordering them online or from a local tire store?  They look awesome!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2015, 01:25:56 PM »
Good lookin shoes there Kyle. Are those from Uncle Les?
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2015, 01:33:43 PM »
When it's all installed and done, what does a set of those wheels cost?  And are you guys typically ordering them online or from a local tire store?  They look awesome!

Those wheels and tires ran me 2g, mounted and balanced, and with the extra full replacement warranty. Plus i have a $70 mail in rebate coming in the mail. Discount Tire matched an online price i found for the wheels... they are normally $265 a piece at DT, plus lug nuts. I found them online for 218 with free lug nuts and DT matched it.

Good lookin shoes there Kyle. Are those from Uncle Les?

Thank you! Nope, Discount Tire. Schwabs couldn't come close on price... They wouldn't match the online price for the wheels, and the Toyo ATii's were considerably more expensive. And truthfully I had the ATii's on my LMM, and while i loved them 90% of the time, couldn't stand them on gravel. They threw rocks like crazy... Verdict is still out on the Coopers, but couldn't be worse than the ATii's.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2015, 12:10:22 PM »
Yep, they have matched prices for me too, great place. I just dropped 1800 on a new set, sold the old set for 500 and still have 250 in rebates on the way.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2015, 07:01:04 PM »
I don't like reading these kinds of threads!

Afterward, I wander around my Chebby looking at those 4 year old wheels...

Yea, I could buy a set of tires and wheels too! Just like them!

I have thought too long about wanting some 37's or 38's on the D-Max to cut back that low 4.56 gear I have.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2015, 07:17:03 PM »
Finally some payback for all the lookin at your trucks and never ending wish lists resulting

Do it. Black would look awesome on Cmax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2015, 08:24:38 PM »
I tell you what..... it is a PAIN. The molding removal was easy, but the adhesive removal is a nightmare. I think it's probably easier on newer trucks where the adhesive is still relatively 'fresh', but I've spent hours with goo gone and goof off and there's still some traces of residue on there. Will probably hit it one more time and then call it good... maybe have it detailed and see if they can get it off with a rubbing compound or something.

3M eraser wheel is magic, followed by goof off.  I used it with great success on my LML
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2015, 10:47:30 PM »
Finally some payback for all the lookin at your trucks and never ending wish lists resulting

Do it. Black would look awesome on Cmax

I have thought of spraying the wheels with that dark silver that was on SquareD that I sprayed the grill with...But black??? Too sinister lookin

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2015, 10:50:44 PM »
That'd look cool too

NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2015, 11:43:37 PM »
That'd look cool too

Uh, no.

He doesn't need any help. lol
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2015, 11:45:24 PM »
I think he needs some of those 24" American force wheels and shove em out about a foot or so, that seems to be all the rage nowadays :/

NRA Life Member

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2015, 12:30:59 AM »
Black looks good, even on a grey truck!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2015, 12:05:48 PM »
I think he needs some of those 24" American force wheels and shove em out about a foot or so, that seems to be all the rage nowadays :/

Isn't that just awful!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2015, 12:06:32 PM »
Black looks good, even on a grey truck!!!
YES IT DOES!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2015, 01:21:35 AM »
There is a blazer down the street with a 6 inch lift and tires low profile tires, looks like crap.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2015, 08:37:16 AM »
There is a blazer down the street with a 6 inch lift and tires low profile tires, looks like crap.

I'll bet!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2015, 05:05:49 PM »
Welp, think i got an exhaust leak somewhere on the passenger side... I can hear it, and i can smell exhaust when i stick my head down under the fender.

Luckily exhaust manifolds are covered under my warranty if that ends up being what it is... I know the up-pipes are known to crack on these trucks too.

Would love to just upgrade to the PPE manifolds and up-pipes, but that's like 2-3 times as expensive as OEM replacement.

Trying to find a shop that will look at it and diagnose, and hopefully I can get it figured out and if it's covered under warranty, get them to replace the stock down-pipe while they got it apart.

NRA Life Member

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2015, 05:33:05 PM »
Hoping for the best for you. I have a similar sounding leak and am I terested to hear the results of yours. I kinda forgot (maybe intentionally) about the up pipe thing.

And don't be scared of your down pipe. The LBZ is super easy.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 05:33:52 PM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 31, 2015, 05:58:27 PM »
Talked to the service manager of a shop close by that does a lot of diesel work, said he deals with the aftermarket warranties all the time and they're not as bad as people say... so we'll see. Will try and get it in there soon to see whats up. Definitely want to try and take advantage of the warranty if i can.
NRA Life Member

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2015, 07:36:01 PM »
My LML (2012) had a factory covered service bulletin due to a leak at the turbo - I could smell the lovely DEF smell in the cab.  Have dealer check it out- there are also extended warranty bulletins through GM due to class action type stuff, so ask about that too!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2015, 10:26:09 PM »
Welp, think i got an exhaust leak somewhere on the passenger side... I can hear it, and i can smell exhaust when i stick my head down under the fender.

Luckily exhaust manifolds are covered under my warranty if that ends up being what it is... I know the up-pipes are known to crack on these trucks too.

Would love to just upgrade to the PPE manifolds and up-pipes, but that's like 2-3 times as expensive as OEM replacement.

Trying to find a shop that will look at it and diagnose, and hopefully I can get it figured out and if it's covered under warranty, get them to replace the stock down-pipe while they got it apart.

Manifolds and fatter up pipes make the sound much better...all except for that awful hissing sound that is always there!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 31, 2015, 10:38:09 PM »

Manifolds and fatter up pipes make the sound much better...all except for that awful hissing sound that is always there!

I'm tellin ya, a call to your tuner can probably fix that... Rumble idle is default now pretty much universally across tuners. You can load new/revised tune files onto your H&S right?

In all reality, not much of a chance of me upgrading the manifolds... Not in the budget. Best I can hope for is getting the leaking/cracked stock manifold/up-pipe fixed under warranty, and then upgrading the downpipe and exhaust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
NRA Life Member

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2015, 10:57:31 PM »
Kyle, depending on the outcome if the downpipe is not now, I put in the Profab one on mine.
Was so easy compared to the newer ones. I did it at somewhere around 100k, just turned out the bolts and out it popped. New one in slick as snot. We have a lot, and I mean inches more room than the LML and LMM.
So if it doesn't happen now, don't fret it, I think I was 30 minutes or so. Had extra hands for allignment, but it was simple. Sorry for the newer guys, the LBZ is that easy.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2015, 11:08:31 PM »
Kyle, depending on the outcome if the downpipe is not now, I put in the Profab one on mine.
Was so easy compared to the newer ones. I did it at somewhere around 100k, just turned out the bolts and out it popped. New one in slick as snot. We have a lot, and I mean inches more room than the LML and LMM.
So if it doesn't happen now, don't fret it, I think I was 30 minutes or so. Had extra hands for allignment, but it was simple. Sorry for the newer guys, the LBZ is that easy.

That's good to know. Thanks for the info. I never had plans for new manifolds, just the downpipe and exhaust, and that's still the plan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
NRA Life Member

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2015, 02:39:11 AM »
That is good as it is part of my "parts" to do with the lift. Can't recall my brand, but it thermal coated SS with a wrap!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2015, 07:38:20 AM »
I'll dig out a picture or snap a new one so you can see the heat shield bolts.
I kept it for some reason.
Not sure if I really needed to take off the heat shield for sure but it did make it easier for sure.
It's a bit if a twisting act to get it out, but we have hundreds of room.
Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 03, 2015, 02:48:49 PM »
Exhaust leak ended up being the clamp at the bottom of the downpipe. Manifolds and uppipes are fine.

Clamped my steering shaft today too, no more annoying clunk!

NRA Life Member

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 03, 2015, 04:13:49 PM »
Kyle, when you have time can you take a pic of the clamp.
I've found it and forgot it so many times I'd forgotten I was going to do it.
I know it's simple, just forget the where it is part.

And the clamp is good news for your exhaust leak.
I am afraid mine is the pipe or the gasket.
Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 03, 2015, 05:48:17 PM »
Here ya go boss. 2" hose clamp

NRA Life Member

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 03, 2015, 05:51:53 PM »
Thank you sir!
I must get on that.
Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 03, 2015, 06:08:10 PM »
I shoulda done it a long time ago... 99 cents coulda saved me an awful lot of cussin and dash kickin

NRA Life Member

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 03, 2015, 07:06:30 PM »
I'm totally with ya on that one. Mine isn't bad like some, but every now and then...
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 03, 2015, 07:20:38 PM »
So, kyle, you had 2 noises? I've never heard a column bearing sound like that video.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 03, 2015, 09:06:10 PM »
I know Ken, it's puzzling me... I'm not claiming that the clamp fixed the other noise, but it hasn't don't it since I clamped it... Verdicts still out

NRA Life Member

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Kyle's LBZ Build
« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2015, 09:06:44 PM »
I know Ken, it's puzzling me... I'm not claiming that the clamp fixed the other noise, but it hasn't don't it since I clamped it... Verdicts still out

And yes, I had the clunk too, in addition to the noise in the video

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 09:07:15 PM by Dawg25385 »
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 03, 2015, 09:19:06 PM »
Ahh, makes more sense now. I've fixed a bunch of clunks with that hose clamp before.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 26, 2015, 12:41:07 PM »
Finally got around to finishing my waste oil container I talked about way earlier in the thread...

Took my freebie NAPA bucket and added a lid with a pour spout, and also cut out a hole for a deck plate, and glue/caulk/screwed it in. Then I glue/caulked the lid to the bucket, in addition to the gasket already built into the lid. Should last me awhile...

NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2015, 02:18:42 PM »
Cool idea

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2015, 06:43:07 PM »
figures.......facepalm.................your a 12th man lover as well.........
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2015, 06:43:13 PM »
;D
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2015, 07:42:24 PM »
That's not mine actually... I'm not a big NFL guy. College is where it's at. UW through and through

NRA Life Member

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 01, 2016, 04:37:21 PM »
Well I FINALLY ordered exhaust... 4" MBRP with muffler, and the wrapped MBRP downpipe... Now the real question is can i find time to roll around under the truck, or just punt and pay to have it done and welded versus clamped... Have kind of a list of things I have to get done anyway.

Need to:
Clean cooling stack and flush radiator
DNR front diff
Change Oil and Fuel Filter
Install new exhaust
Install new Curt hitch..... that's STILL in the box
Install my EGT probe.... that's STILL coiled up under the hood
Install PCV reroute... that's STILL in a box in my garage

You get the drift here... This ole boy ain't got noooo time
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 01, 2016, 08:31:39 PM »
If ya have enough time to talk about it, ya have enough time to do it...there's at least 9 hrs left tonight...
,,,,,get off the couch and snap to it!!               :PokinKyle

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 01, 2016, 08:57:19 PM »
If ya have enough time to talk about it, ya have enough time to do it...there's at least 9 hrs left tonight...

I'm still workin hoss, pretty solidly putting in 14's... just crazy busy. No end in sight either.

Appreciate the encouragement though LOL

I drop in here with you bozos throughout the day to make sure everything running smoothly slash your DOT'ing and Don's photos haven't chewed up all the server space hahaha
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2016, 09:00:12 AM »

I'm still workin hoss, pretty solidly putting in 14's... just crazy busy. No end in sight either.

Appreciate the encouragement though LOL

I drop in here with you bozos throughout the day to make sure everything running smoothly slash your DOT'ing and Don's photos haven't chewed up all the server space hahaha

And we appreciate you doin' it!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 09:00:57 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2016, 09:17:36 AM »
Keeps me sane! Man I tell ya, I can be havin a vein bursting stress moment, and take 5 to drop in here and read a funny story, see a cool pic, or remember to pray for help, and it makes my day better. So thanks gents!

NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2016, 09:36:05 AM »
14 hr days. I remember a time.....

...But, NO more for me! Good luck and don't burn out....it's not always worth it.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 02, 2016, 10:02:23 AM »
Yea, Ken, copy on that

Corporate America is not what you think it is going in

Gets you the nice house in the burbs, a nice, steadily increasing paycheck

New cars, trucks, motorcycles

Lots of stuff

But along with all that stuff...the nice home becomes a big mortgage payment with neighbors who become problems. And the neighborhood has the restrictions....

That corporate job gets you increasing responsibility which you accept because you are a hunter and a provider. But after a time you start to notice distance from the woman you loved so much. Distance born from lives separated by time and different azimuths born of growing in separate careers. And the kids who never see you start to encroach on any personal time you thought you might have had. Giving up every spare minute usually means the exercise/workout time goes away, which brings on that flabby whale look you start to see in the mornings.

Honestly, you can have it! Not worth it. I feel so blessed to have done 30 in the military and mil contractor work. They kept me exercising. They paid me well, they gave me a purpose and let me play with cool toys. On the other end I did not see Little Don grow up except for snap shots. I lost a marriage, which I suppose in my case wasn't all that much anyway, so maybe that was a good thing...??? And my middle life was about my experiences, not shared ones with family.

I'd say to any and all who would listen. Avoid the shiny bait, don't take it if you can avoid. Revel in your time, for it is fleeting...fleeting indeed!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 02, 2016, 10:39:49 AM »
I remember those days. Not sure if I could do 14s now with life and do all the other stuff.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 02, 2016, 11:47:46 AM »
Going through a merger/acquisition, and we've got a deadline. Big one, with big ramifications.

Honestly, I do it for my guys, not the money or the recognition. Well, and because I was raised to always do my best in whatever I do, period. I have a great team, great group of men and women who have bought in and worked their heart out. I owe it to them to see this through, and help them be successful in this challenge! I think many of you could relate to that at least.

Luke 22:26
But it is not this way with you, but the one who is the greatest among you must become like the youngest, and the leader like the servant.
NRA Life Member

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal