Hello Guest

Author Topic: Re-tiling my bathroom floor  (Read 6994 times)

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re-tiling my bathroom floor
« on: August 11, 2016, 11:52:50 AM »
Anyone on here with some tile experience game to lend an FNG some insight? 90% of my center two rows are cracked, grout is missing/falling out, and the tiles are loose and barely hanging in there. It looks like I could tackle this one myself, but I don't want to dive in uneducated and make rookie mistakes. 11-23/32 x 11-23/32 square tile on the floor including cut tile. assuming i'll need a full piece for each one currently in place I'm looking at 32 pieces, plus 10 for screw ups sound right? I don't believe any concrete backing was used in the original application and they were laid directly on the subfloor. i'll be remedying that, but any other tips/tricks suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 12:09:36 PM by EL TATE »
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: Re-tiling my bathroom floor
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 12:15:27 PM »
Anyone on here with some tile experience game to lend an FNG some insight? 90% of my center two rows are cracked, grout is missing/falling out, and the tiles are loose and barely hanging in there. It looks like I could tackle this one myself, but I don't want to dive in uneducated and make rookie mistakes. 11-23/32 x 11-23/32 square tile on the floor including cut tile. assuming i'll need a full piece for each one currently in place I'm looking at 32 pieces, plus 10 for screw ups sound right? I don't believe any concrete backing was used in the original application and they were laid directly on the subfloor. i'll be remedying that, but any other tips/tricks suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You wanting to put tile back into the places or replace all the tile? I helped my parents put in tile and then a few years later, break it all out and put the wood laminate flooring in.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 12:37:29 PM »
we've got wood everywhere else upstairs, then hallway and 2 bedrooms are carpet w/ tile to contrast in the guest and master bath. both need replacing but the guest is completely shot. I want to go with tile, but done right this time.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 12:45:39 PM »
we've got wood everywhere else upstairs, then hallway and 2 bedrooms are carpet w/ tile to contrast in the guest and master bath. both need replacing but the guest is completely shot. I want to go with tile, but done right this time.

Got ya. I remember breaking the tiles apart and taking it out, the installing...not so much.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 01:08:21 PM »
You pulling All of the tile? I have a little experience with tile. It's a little hard to do door jams without a saw, but laying tile is a remedial job at best.....ie...If i can do it, you can do it! hardest part is keeping them level..make the mud too thick, they won't "mallet" down, too thin, and they "fall" lower than the surrounding ones.
Chalk line it out to keep them straight, and pre-lay some in the middle to make sure it will work out.Oh, and knee pads are a must!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 01:12:10 PM »
I am just finishing up my shower project.  It was the first time I had ever tiled anything.  I still need to put the last few tiles in and grout everything.  If you are just doing the floor I think it would be pretty straightforward.  My biggest issues stemmed from the tile we picked out.  They weren't all the same size, thickness an weren't perfectly square.  This made it impossible to use the spacers so I just ended up drawing a grid on the walls.  For this reason I ended up buttering all the tiles instead of putting the thinset directly on the wall.  But this also made it easier because it wasn't supposed to look perfect.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 01:20:23 PM »
chalk lines are a great idea, thanks Ken. I'll be bringing my carpenter's square with me when I purchase the tile to ensure squareness, thanks bear. bobby, I've done the removal process, long handle with a scraper blade and I remember that sucking intensely. I'm hoping as poorly as this floor was laid they'll just "come up" but time will tell. I'm thinking getting the sub floor level is the lynch pin for all of it right? from there, start centered, work outwards, even thickness on thinset, use the spacers. am I missing anything here guys?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 02:08:49 PM »
That's about it. If the tile won't "pop" up, just smack it with a hammer, and it will come loose pretty easily. Even the subfloor doesn't have to be perfectly flat, but the flatter it is, the less mud you'll have to use on the tile. Even an uneven floor can look good as long as the tiles match each other in height (it's hard to see dips once finished).
Now, the stuff bear is doing will have you pulling your hair out. I did my bathroom, from chair rail down, in southwestern patterns, and it took a couple months doing it after work each night.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 02:10:18 PM »
Yes, draw a grid on the floor & be as precise as you can. Friend of mine does it for a living & I could not believe how much time he spent on prep work...
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 04:26:59 PM »
Like my dad taught me in good painting. Anyone can slop paint on but it's the prep work that makes the difference between an amateur and professional. Thanks for the advice fellas. I'll post up pics once I get started.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 04:51:50 PM »
Start from the center is the best.  It will help ensure even boarders.  Use a straight edge as you lay to keep them even height wise tile to tile.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 05:31:02 PM »
I happen to have a 5 foot level (who knows why) but I planned on breaking out that sucker. I would imagine the trowels with the teeth help to ensure even thickness when you butter the backside of the tile and the floor?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 05:46:29 PM »
Yeah. Use a trough with 1/4" teeth (most common), lay it at a 45*, and scrape, keeping all the grooves in the same direction. This allows (helps) trapped air to escape from under the tile.

...and you keep the mud just thick enough to where the ridges that you create with the trough, don't just slump out, but not so thick that the tile doesn't want to compress the air out from underneath.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 05:49:54 PM by KensAuto »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 05:47:53 PM »
Tate I have a lot of experience with tile. Are we dealing with tile over plywood subfloor on the first or second floor, and is the plywood on joists, if so what depth and spacing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 06:20:10 PM »
I learned to tile from my late father @ 16 when we tiled 3k sq feet of my parent newly built home. and I did the kitchen and entry way in my last home after the linoleum failed shortly after moving in. and worked odd jobs for a friend who tiles for a living.

I can tell you that laying them at an angle will hide the guaranteed not-square walls in every home.

After you tear everything up and are sure you have a clean FLAT surface to work on, depending on your subfloor and transitions you might have to use self leveling epoxy or "concrete" to get it completely flat. Remove all baseboards and just assume that you will have to replace them.

Then cement board (using thinset + a lot of screws) or Schluter underlayment is the way to go. Many people skip the underlayment and find out why they should have done it right in less than a year. Ive torn up a lot of "professional jobs" 

Start with a "T" or cross shape and this will give you the best chance of having a good look and hide the cuts and possibly cooked walls.  (see my crude paint drawings) Orange lines represent a chalk line.
 . If I can find a picture of my last job I will post it up.

Once you lay the "T,"  I like to let that set up over night so I have perfectly square solid "frame" to start off of. then you can filled them in one section at a time. saving all your cuts until last, you can rent a saw and do them in a day instead of renting for a week.  When you are laying out thin set, make small batches at a time and work in 4x4 sections. I always "butter" the tile when I lay them to ensure proper adhesion.

Clean your grout lines as you go as well the face of your tile, believe me its easier to get messy doing this than chipping concrete from the tile or in between tiles risking a chip in the tile. use good spacers, like seen below.

There is a learning curve, don't get frustrated. and don't feel bad if you have to rip up a few and start over. Any more questions just ask!

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 06:22:20 PM »
Prep work is a must-

Pre-lay the tile to check your pattern, spacing AND trimming/cutting of tiles - a slight shift one way or another saves a whole bunch of headaches all around.

If you want it to last, use cement board over your subfloor.

They have these spacers/leveler units that are plastic and have you put them between tiles when setting and an angled wedge goes into them and over top of tile joints, bridging adjacent tiles so they all end up level before you move to the next one - one on each side of a joint.

Don't go cheap on adhesive or grout - pays off in quality of job and required maintainance over time.

There's gotta be a ton of resources on-line from places like "This Old House" etc.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 07:06:58 PM by cudakidd53 »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2016, 07:01:15 PM »
What's dogs got to do with laying tile? :(

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 07:01:52 PM »
I was wondering same thing.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 07:09:15 PM »
WOW, silly iPad, and a cut from a on-line post two days ago!

Dogs and laying tile - dogs hate it cause they slide around when trying to run, but LOVE to lay on it when it's cool and hot outside, other than that NOTHING!  Duh, on me for finger stumbles! ;D

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2016, 11:04:08 PM »
hahaha

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 09:35:27 AM »
Tate I have a lot of experience with tile. Are we dealing with tile over plywood subfloor on the first or second floor, and is the plywood on joists, if so what depth and spacing?

2nd floor, over plywood subfloor on joists. Depth? spacing???

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2016, 12:57:58 PM »

2nd floor, over plywood subfloor on joists. Depth? spacing???

He probably means thickness of the subfloor? (3/4, 23/32 or whatever it is), and the joist spacing....
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2016, 01:24:17 PM »
I'll be able to tell once I get the tile up I imagine. I'll make sure to list it when I get to that point, but is there a reason to be concerned about the subfloor thickness and joist spacing, i.e. do I want a different concrete board for one vs the other?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
Re-tiling my bathroom floor
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2016, 06:15:28 PM »
The single biggest factor in tile failure is the failure or flexing of the substrate. Understanding wether your subfloor is within tolerance of deflection will save you headache and if it's deflection is not within tolerance there are some new techniques to address it, like different adhesives and grout formulations and even a membrane that can be applied to the substrate to prevent cracking.  Floor joist size, spacing and span will tell is a lot about the deflection. Then it's a matter of screwing the subfloor tight to the joists and then the same with the cement backer board before adhesive and tile or adhesive , membrane, adhesive and tile. Also be prepared to deal with the increased floor height around the closet flange (toilet). Let us know what you find.

Also keep in mind that starting in the center so that all edge tiles are the same is not always the best looking solution. For example you may find that laying full pieces against the tub/wall and letting the cut pieces be behind the toilet looks best. Graph paper works wonders in planning and layout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 06:18:26 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2016, 06:30:46 PM »
Thanks all. Just found a graph paper pad in my kids leftover school supplies. I plan on taking my time, and doing this right because it's obvious that it wasn't in the first place, and nothing bothers me more. I'm also sure that the flooring wasn't properly guarded against water either, so now would be that time as well. I'd rather adjust the baseboard trim and install a threshold than leave it the way it is now.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 08:23:23 PM »
you keep listening to these guys and youll end up spending $50k on a full bath remodel............;D
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 10:17:34 PM »
you keep listening to these guys and youll end up spending $50k on a full bath remodel.....OIL CHANGE............;D
m

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2016, 07:10:35 AM »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2016, 12:02:06 PM »
you keep listening to these guys and youll end up spending $50k on a full bath remodel............;D

That's the dang truth there!

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2016, 08:27:14 AM »
you keep listening to these guys and youll end up spending $50k on a full bath remodel.....OIL CHANGE............;D
m
I wish it was that cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2016, 12:01:39 PM »

That's a little plain for my taste ;)

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2016, 12:02:14 PM »
I'd be happy now just to find the time for it. I gotta schedule my schedules

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2016, 01:46:06 PM »

Purchase metal barrel
Punch holes in metal barrel
Remove HEAD of male who didn't heed my requirements to date my daughter
Place in barrel and load in truck
Drop off streamside near Sophie's "picture rock"
Select Tile for Bathroom
Demo Bathroom
Refer to DOT suggestions for laying said tile
Contact an actual Tile Specialist as DOT's are full of it
Schedule a massage in new bathroom with candles
Ignore DOT's comments trashing my Bathroom Build Thread

There, got you started Tate!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2016, 05:49:47 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHA
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2016, 07:47:22 PM »

Maybe more like this

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2016, 06:54:16 PM »

Purchase metal barrel
Punch holes in metal barrel
Remove HEAD of male who didn't heed my requirements to date my daughter
Place in barrel and load in truck
Drop off streamside near Sophie's "picture rock"
Select Tile for Bathroom
Demo Bathroom
Refer to DOT suggestions for laying said tile
Contact an actual Tile Specialist as DOT's are full of it
Schedule a massage in new bathroom with candles
Ignore DOT's comments trashing my Bathroom Build Thread

There, got you started Tate!

I'm literally dying of laughter here, nice work!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2016, 06:55:23 PM »

Maybe more like this

that's a little closer now ;D

Dad came by last night and he's got all the equipment and is willing to show me how to do the hard, dirty work and supervise. might be in the next couple weeks.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal