Hello Guest

Author Topic: Yet another old Dodge crew cab project (1985 W350 USAF)  (Read 58701 times)

OldKooT

Re: Yet another old Dodge crew cab project (1985 W350 USAF)
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2015, 03:57:28 PM »
Hey Jim.... you ready to watch some truck building? It's getting about time to dive into this mess.

Hopefully this weekend some progress will be made. The mission statement in my head says official project day #1 should be Sat or Sun of this weekend.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2015, 06:30:48 PM »
Hey Norm, can I borrow your thread for a second?

Jim,
FYI those 87 Chevy 1 ton rear springs seem to be sagging a bit. Norm here was the guy who spotted it. I work around that truck so much I hadn't noticed it.

Thing is I pulled one of the arched springs out to keep from going too high and also of course the thick bottom overload spring. But now those springs are close to being flat...maybe 1"'2" positive arch. So I think I might have to tear into them and add that leaf I removed.
What do you think...Maybe Pm unless Norm doesn't mind me hijacking his thread. Well, we can do this over on SquareD's thread...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2015, 06:52:12 PM »
Helping Hijack, Don where did you end up getting your springs?  I have really learned my lesson on leaf springs.  Basically I learned that “Store Bought” springs suck and custom springs are good but the person making them has to understand what the spring is doing.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2015, 08:53:51 PM »
Helping Hijack, Don where did you end up getting your springs?  I have really learned my lesson on leaf springs.  Basically I learned that “Store Bought” springs suck and custom springs are good but the person making them has to understand what the spring is doing.

Sorry, Norm!

They came from SD Truck Springs I think...Been awhile, and I purchased a second set of 64 inchers for the rear axle which have yet to be installed.

In all fairness the truck probably weighs in near 6,000. The complete chebby rear spring was rated at 1775 each, or 3550 total. So, I should have left things alone and used all the leaves except for the overload. Having pulled one of the 6 springs probably reduced the capacity to less that what they are now having to support.
Not sure of the weight bias, but probably something near 55/45 front rear and maybe as high as 60/40 F/R. That would mean the springs need to support from 3300 to 3600 and that's without that big winch, the bumpers to come and let's not forget Franken Snorkel! ;-)))
So I might overtasked the springs and especially whit the removal of one of the leaves.

Caveat: I always planned to add front bags to fine tune the height and ride once I got the configuration settled in and settled on!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 08:54:40 PM by Flyin6 »

OldKooT

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2015, 09:17:34 AM »
Feel free on the sprig stuff Don/Jim/Phil.....as it pertains largely to our project here as well.

I am about to pull the trigger on the front springs for this project..... I have it narrowed down to either swiping the "old style" much loved Alcan's from my wife's RC, then using Jim's mount and shackles, relocate them forward as much as possible. This possibility is attractive because they hold the weight of the Cummins just fine, ride like glass and move well. Issue is the shackle angle I fear will be wrong moving them forward.

The other option is a combination much like yours Don. Keeping this truck "low" but still running a 38" tire is the goal.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »
Low is relative I guess. My truck looks a lot like (Speaking in terms of height) as it did when it was lifted 6", maybe a tad higher. For my old trucks (two earlier W150's and one Ram Charger) up to a 6" lift seemed to be fine. These trucks at stock height represent a 6" lift over modern day stockers.

I think I'll be tearing into that spring pack and adding back that leaf...to get the flatness out of that spring pack. Not that I mind it being flat, but with what the truck is going to look like, they might go negative arched...

Norm, my factory manual puts my stocker W250 in the 5800-5900 curb weight range. You concur?

OldKooT

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2015, 07:15:04 PM »
Yes Don I'd say that weight range is close. LE Trucks push 6K and strippers will be about 5600...at least the ones I have owned. "Tall frame" trucks are heavier than "short frame" trucks. Yours is a W250 so it should be short framed.

The kids Suburban is out of my barn/shop so now we have  room to work.... can't wait.

Spent part of today chasing down a TV cable for "patch" that 518 shifts like new again. Cable just up and broke....odd.

$128 latter.... good as new

Offline Jungle

• Registered
  • I was born to build!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2015, 07:16:16 AM »
Hi guys
Don I would add that lief back in & you might half to add another. I had the 1875lb per side packs under the front of my RC & it road like a car  ;D. But it was to soft & when I got on the breaks hard the nose would dive about 4" & I didn't like that. I should have just added another additional 2nd lief but I bought a 2" lift spring & installed. The lift spring is stiffer & the nose doesn't dive so much when I get on the breaks so that's better. I will probably get another 2nd lief made & add it into the pack & try it to see what it does. If the ride quality was in between the stock replacement & the lift spring that would be sweet.
The reason I'm trying this is it to give good recommendations to people that can't afford the Alcans or ones like them. I agree that the Alcans or Deaver would be the way to go!!

Does that help at all guys?
Jim

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2015, 08:11:28 AM »
Hi guys
Don I would add that lief back in & you might half to add another. I had the 1875lb per side packs under the front of my RC & it road like a car  ;D. But it was to soft & when I got on the breaks hard the nose would dive about 4" & I didn't like that. I should have just added another additional 2nd lief but I bought a 2" lift spring & installed. The lift spring is stiffer & the nose doesn't dive so much when I get on the breaks so that's better. I will probably get another 2nd lief made & add it into the pack & try it to see what it does. If the ride quality was in between the stock replacement & the lift spring that would be sweet.
The reason I'm trying this is it to give good recommendations to people that can't afford the Alcans or ones like them. I agree that the Alcans or Deaver would be the way to go!!

Does that help at all guys?
Jim
Holy smokes!
That is going to be one big stack of springs up there!
OK, I'll put the missing leaf back in and go from there
No the nose dive sounds like the shock valving was pretty light in the compression side. Do you have enough shock on that truck?
What I have found over the years is bigger is better. I have the most success with King 2.5" body shocks and slightly looser valving.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2015, 10:55:10 PM »
  What I have seen is the "off the self" springs are ok for the most part but they are massed produced and most of the springs are made in India or China, not all but most so please ask where they are made when you are going to buy them.

Ok I am NOT flaming or promoting any vendor with the story below, I am just explaining the lessons/experience I learned

I have went thru 2 sets of rear springs and I am going to change the front springs also, just because I am very happy with how the rears are working.  I had bought new springs for the rear and the front from Alcan, and I learned a lot over the process.  I never had a problem with the Alcan springs I used BUT getting any information from Alcan is like pulling teeth for the most part.  When I ordered springs my goal was to get rid of the lift blocks, I hate lift blocks so with that goal in mind I went about of trying to figure out what kind of lift spring I needed.  After some back and fourth with Alcan I ordered what I thought would work and give me 4" total lift.  I learned you need to very clear when ordering springs!!!!  This is the first time I ever ordered custom a leaf springs so I really didn't know what to ask for.

Anyway back to my first set of springs, so I installed the first set and a big problem I discovered was if you go over a certain lift/arch your spring will interfere with the rear stock spring hanger, for my application the interference wasn't there at first but over time the spring sagged/settled and the interference became a problem, more on this later.

The first set of front springs I got had way to much lift, so I had to ship those back to Alcan and they replaced top leaf and then I was good to go the RC sat level and I was happy with every thing.  It was a harsh ride but it worked for what I was using it for.

After a year of driving the RC I noticed the rear springs started to sag the spring was eating into the rear hanger and the spring bolt was hitting the hanger and limiting flex so much it was trying to rip the rear hanger off the frame, so I was getting ready to go to Alaska and I wanted to repair the problem before I went, I installed a set of Jims shackle flip rear spring hangers and then I called Alcan to order a new set of springs.  I wanted to soften the ride so I asked if they could give me a better fit/rate and I was told that I should just run a 1/2 ton pickup spring, I said ok but please make sure the dimensions are the same as my current spring.  I was skeptical but I agreed and the new plan, well when the springs came in I knew right away they were not going to work.  After I installed I found that the spring pin was 1" father forward than the last spring they built for me and the springs were way too soft.  so I installed a set of zero rates to fix the axle position problem and I still had to install a 2.5" lift block to get the RC to kind of sit level, basically the springs were flat with weight on them and only I loaded everything up the springs were negative.  At this point I was out of time and just had to make the trip with what I had, we made the trip without problems.

Once I returned from Alaska I took the RC to Deaver spring, he took measurements and in about 3 weeks later the springs were built, total difference now that the RC has proper springs, its about 1" higher than I want but Deaver said if I wasn't happy to bring the RC back and they would make it set where I wanted it.  I am so happy with what they did with the rear I am going to have them make a set for the front.

As you can see I went thru a lot to finally get what I wanted but I learned a lot about leaf springs, there is a total different approach in how Deaver builds a spring than in how Alcan builds a spring, they with both work but they  are engineered differently.     

This ended up being a expensive lesson but I am glad I know what I know now.

OldKooT

« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2015, 11:43:34 PM »
Phil... you experience with Alcan on the rear springs doesn't surprise me a lot. I won't get into a long book of details here, but back 10 years ago when I had them build the set I own, they were a quality product. In a recent attempt to purchase a identical set, it was clear I would not be buying again from them.  I was also told that if I was to require warranty work on my original 10 year old set, I was out of luck. They claim they didn't get the purchase records from the original company when they took over......So yeah.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2015, 12:10:47 AM »
Well I will never buy anything from them again, maybe if I was local things might not of been as bad but it was still an expensive lesson.  I didn't know Alcan was bought out, did this happen recently? 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2015, 08:14:22 AM »
Alcan, changed...sad.
I had them build me a set of custom springs back in 2003. Perfect set which did exactly what I wanted. Right height with a shackle flip and no block, was happy.
I considered them for the SquareD build and even talked with them on the tele-communicator. In the end price drove me to try these stockers from SD Truck springs.
Another company which no one has mentioned is Atlas. Based on what I know I have to give Deaver the nod. What they do is use a tall stack of thinner and tapered spring leaves. Atlas builds like Alcan, but they don't/wouldn't actually build. I tried to get them to build me springs a couple times but I couldn't get them to call me back, coordinate or give me the warm and fuzzy that they were comprehend on what I was doing. Mexican guy there, but very competent.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2015, 08:47:31 AM »
When I started the RC project and started asking about springs nobody had anything bad to say about them, but lesson learned.  I have been to both Deaver and Atlas's shops(both in Southern California) and both are very knowledgable and great people to work with I have bought stuff from both.   

OldKooT

« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2015, 12:17:58 PM »
Well it's Monday.... that's all. 

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2015, 04:02:39 PM »
What would you guys consider a fair price for custom springs? I am looking for the Burb swap and have a local shop "Valley Spring Works" in Dixon.

He quoted me about $300 per side for the front and $100 each to re-arch the rears.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2015, 04:57:06 PM »
Well that not a terrible price,  thats about what the other spring makers charge.  If you factor in shipping from any place that is not local to you the price will go up $100 for shipping.  $100 for a rearch is reasonable

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2015, 06:35:55 PM »
^^^ I concur. $600 for a set of custom springs is the going price

OldKooT

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2015, 10:48:12 PM »
Day one has arrived finally. March 16 2015 we officially have begun the build....so here we go.

First order of business is getting the frame cleaned up. Now I could have done it the hard way and sand blasted it myself. But my compressor is hating life, the new project compressor is not yet done so....well, time to call a professional.

We have this fella local to us (25 miles away) that has a side hobby/business of sand blasting. He does large contract jobs like grain elevators, and bridges when he's feeling ambitious. So I called him and explained what I desired and he suggested I bring him the frame this afternoon. So I umped on my skid loader, tossed the frame on the trailer and headed out.

Before the work started...

The sand blaster... that's 300hp of compressor with a old propane tank converted to a pressure pot. Not well shown in the pictures is a semi bulk trailer full of sand. It has a 1.5" delivery hose and runs at 125psi.

In progress...notice no gloves, just his mask/air and a nice 80 degree March day. Make note of the distance he holds the nozzle from the frame...

So 45 minutes latter and $200 poorer, but the frame is spotless bare metal. Upon arriving home, myself and my wife and two daughters carried it off the trailer and put in the barn/shop. Now to scare up some epoxy primer hastily and get it sealed up. That is tomorrow's chore.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2015, 11:10:10 PM »
Wow that is impressive! Congrats on day 1 in the books!
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2015, 08:22:54 AM »
Impressive indeed!

Finally...We have this thing going!

That's a long/tall frame!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 08:24:09 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2015, 09:36:44 AM »
Wow, that is some serious sand blaster!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2015, 11:10:18 AM »
$200 was a deal. I did my old 77 with a small blaster and it took days, was hot and got very dirty!

Love that trailer too and a wife and kids that don't mind getting hands on. When I ask you'd think the world is ending, 5 minutes complaining for 30 seconds of work.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2015, 10:26:16 PM »
Day 2: I had some actual work to do today so I didn't get out to the barn/shop until almost 3pm.

I spent a hour or so removing the spring shackle mount rivets. Nothing a torch, the grinder, a large hammer, and the air chisel didn't solve. Then Kay and I spent about a hour blowing sand out of stuff. Then while I went to find a missing Dana 60 4.10 front axle (it was in the back of a dually box for some reason) Kay took the dual action sander and worked the frame over with 80 grit for a few hours.

We did shoot about 1/3 the frame with primer tonight. The temps dropped quite a bit, so a bit sketchy shooting paint with the wood furnace running. But we didn't blow up.

The frame after Kay worked her magic...

The shackle mounting area ready for Jim's new shackle mounts I need to order asap.

Tomorrow hopefully we will get a bit more done. For now I am going to go enjoy the grilled cheesburgers Kay whipped up and a shower.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2015, 08:03:46 AM »
Glad to know you two didn't get all blowed up!

Been there...did that...

Great job on the frame there, Navy, and Miss K
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:06:35 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2015, 01:09:04 PM »
Nice progress!!

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2015, 07:37:42 AM »
Well......... it's Saturday March 21 2015 and we haven't gotten much else done. We did clean up and build a small workbench in our shop/barn so as this project continues we have a place to work. That consumed Wed/Thursday

Yesterday the old air compressor decided to have some issues. It was becoming quite clear this project wasn't going to continue until we found a reliable air source. (frame is half primed and here we sit)

We have a beautiful old Champion compressor (circa 1969) we are restoring and intended to use. Problem is it's tore apart and awaiting some reassembly LoL  So..... enter the "punt" stage.

My lovely wife found a lightly used 5 year old compressor with a Saylor Beall cast iron pump, 80 Gallon tank, and all the trimmings on Craigs List. I called the fella and he wanted $1400 for it. Since new it was about $3K and it was lightly used he claimed, I figured we best go take a look at it.

We left the house for the 60 mile drive at 4pm, and we HAD to be home by 7pm for the twins production of Pinocchio (8th grade play) "Patch" our ugly but trusty spare 91.5 CTD truck got us there in less than a hour and we took a look at the compressor.

To reduce this to less than book length we found it to be in nice shape, but a bit older than he claimed. The oil was used but clean, tank was dry and no sign of rust...it had a auto drain on it from day one so that was encouraging. He insisted he bought it new 5 years ago, the welder certification on the tank says 2002. So...........what we had was a solid compressor pump, a industrial 7hp motor/starter and what looked to be a lightly used machine, that was just a bit older than the fella claimed. I told him I needed to think a minute and went and sat in the truck while my wife talked to him and his son.

I was about halfway through my thinking process when my wife throws the tailgate down and up drives a forklift with this compressor. I get out looking at my wife and she gives me the shut up and help us load it look.

Turns out I can't take her anywhere clearly. So we tied it down, and raced for home. We get a mile away she smiles and says to me. While you were busy thinking, I let the guy watch me checking out the compressor, then stood up with $900 in my hand and told him if he loaded it fast so we could make the play, we would take it.

I guess I will spend today unloading, finding a place to put it, and seeing bout getting it working. Then back to work on the Crew Cab with a slightly smaller budget.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2015, 08:21:19 AM »
Yes dear, thank you dear.  Lol
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2015, 09:01:41 AM »
Great progress and a good deal on sandblasting the frame!  There is nothing better than starting out with a clean frame.

Post up the compressors, we love them too.  Even the pile of Champion parts.  There is a guy over on the garage journal that did a nice Saylor Beall restoration, complete to original paint color and decals. 

OldKooT

« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2015, 09:35:24 AM »
I will post some pictures of my compressor projects when I get a chance. First I need to figure out how to get it off the truck without driving 45 miles with my trailer to go get the forklift. Then I need to find someplace to install it. Most everywhere I'd prefer it to be it may either be too tall to fit, or too heavy to get in place simply. Then wiring it up, and plumbing it....I will probably spend a week doing this lmao

Being a farmer, I have a strong temptation to toss it in the shop, plug it into the welder outlet and get back to work on the truck...I am trying to resit that urge.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2015, 10:15:39 AM »
Good buy there Kootie
Well, actually the compliment goes to your thrifty wife!
But good for the both of you!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2015, 01:26:04 PM »
Nice deal. They are rare out here everyone wants new prices for 20 year old stuff.

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2015, 02:41:29 PM »
It may be a good deal, we shall see. Until it's hooked up and running quietly, making air as it should, I remain in limbo. As I type the girls are cleaning out a hole for it to sit in. My sons and I managed to extract it from the pickup with my old beater skid loader safely without damage. Now the hard part.....the manual moving of this thing 15' around a corner and up a few small steps.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2015, 06:23:53 PM »
I am looking for a new one. Just can't see 2k for a compressor.

In the meantime I just got a HF pump for my old Craftman. Cast to replace 20 year old noisy alum and just $150.

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2015, 07:32:25 PM »
Well it's not Crew Cab stuff, but.... a few pics.  Here we have the compressor ready to head inside the barn.

Here it is in it's new home. We tucked it semi under the stairs to the loft. It's close to a opening window for cool air. This part of the barn is cement block and well shaded, so it's always far cooler than the rest of the building.

Here is another shot. This is roughly 40' from the shop area. That should give me a nice long run of pipe to cool things. It also will keep the shop nice and quiet. This also allows me less than a 10' run from the breaker box. If you notice in the picture near the floor there is a drain through the outside wall already. It seems to be a taylor made location for a compressor.

We got this much done and drug out the boat for a wax and polish. We then ran the Exmark over the front lawn and collected all the leaves and assorted winter debris with the hopper. Tomorrow after church I will  begin wiring and possibly some plumbing.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:33:51 PM by OldKooT »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2015, 08:26:35 PM »
That thing looks to be in great shape
Excellent score for $900
You'll be slinging primer in no time!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2015, 08:27:36 PM »
that is a nice looking piece of equipment there norm.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2015, 01:09:05 AM »
First thing I thought is how nice it looks, great score!!

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2015, 08:21:45 PM »
Thanks everyone....wish I could say it's up and running and making air. I spent the first half the day today wiring in the 30 amp service. That went rather smoothly minus the part where I forgot that I had to fasten the shut off switch and such to concrete.....

So my wife got home about 3pm and we decided to go to the big city and get some concrete anchors and price some copper pipe. We hit Menard's first and had a small case of sticker shock. Type L copper in 3/4" was $29 for a 10' stick. Kay talked me into that expense, but then when we went shopping for fittings I vetoed the entire idea of copper. At close to $7 per fitting average I said screw it and put it all back. We then hit the black pipe selection and loaded up on fittings, 10 pieces of 1" pipe and a thread cutter and dies for less than half the price of copper. Bonus I have a new tool and can make future inexpensive additions to the air system whenever I like......

I promise eventually truck work will happen LoL

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2015, 09:50:41 PM »
Nice score, lucky you (or should I say your wife) didn't go to jail for stealing it !!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2015, 07:40:28 AM »
I'm moving this whole thread to the compressor section!  ;-))

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2015, 10:31:46 AM »
Heck, we all get as jazzed up over tools as the builds!

Darn DOTs.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2015, 10:37:57 AM »
Ahhh, OK, you're forgiven!  ;)

OldKooT

« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2015, 01:20:02 PM »
Tech tip: If you want to get anything done on your truck project do NOT, I repeat do NOT embark on a air compressor plumbing system in 1" black pipe that spans 150', makes many corners and requires much pipe cutting/threading. How's that for a run on sentence?

Today April 1st 2015 I may finish the air supply installation for the most part, and be back on the project. After I drive 60 miles one way to buy a few fittings I can't buy local.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2015, 08:39:57 AM »
OK, Norm time to update your progress.

Any work on "Project-Beast" or still hanging air line and farmin'?

OldKooT

« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2015, 10:11:39 AM »
Well..... honestly Don, we are making "some" progress. Yesterday Kay and I cleaned some more of the shop/barn... and found an entire Cummins engine/tranny I forgot I owned LoL  Not sure it has any relevance to the project, but it was like finding a lost cache of treasure.

To date we have assembled the following parts pile for the truck:

Mid 90's vintage 3/4T 14 Bolt with a open carrier, 3.73 gears and stud retained brake drums.
Dana 60 Snow commander front axle with 3.54 gears. Also a Chevy CUCV Dana 60 front axle we will rob of it's hubs.

Some rear 3/4T 52" Dodge springs with a 3200lb rating....

Kay scored a new in the box 12K lb Milemarker Hyd winch.....

And I have a local lead on a possible passenger side crew cab door we need for this project. 

It's been snowing,raining, windy, cold and muddy....so we have gotten very little done outside, which has slowed things considerably.

The shop air is plumbed as far as required for the time being... the new compressor is working out well, and we have a measured 22cfm at 150 psi at the shops air drop. And most importantly, no noticeable moisture. So far, I am very pleased with the new compressor and plumbing.

As soon as I get done pouting about the tax situation I will start ordering some parts and see if we can't get this thing going together..... for the more immediate future I have to remove all the old mounts and such from the 14 bolt, and clean up the front Dana 60....so that is this weekends plan. 

June it is.... plenty of time, no hurry.

Offline Jungle

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2015, 04:02:01 PM »
Norm,
Did you get the Quote over on RCC? I have everything in stock right now but running low on the HD frame bushings. I have 2 kits in stock as of today & I'm shipping 1 on monday.

Your frame looks great!!!!!
& that compressor is AWESOME!!!
Jim

OldKooT

« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2015, 04:30:17 PM »
Well we got out to the shop and got a few things done. I tossed the 14Bolt rear on some old sawhorses outside and Kay got to work on removing the spring mounts and assorted brackets. It started out looking like this.....

She uses the gas axe to remove everything and then finished up with the big grinder and then the flapper wheel on the 4" grinder and finally 80 grit on the DA.

Kay then managed to get a hot spark down her shirt while using the flapper.....I was there to record the event....thankfully no audio.

When I suggested if she didn't grid on stuff without long sleeves she'd not have that issue I got this look...

The final product.... she does good work.

So she got both sides done in about a hour or so while I dug through our barn and other buildings looking for a 3.73 Dana 60 R&P....and I guess I don't own one.

So we knocked off early and we are going to go see a guy I know has a few Dozen Ford Dana 60 rear axles...one of them must have a 3.73 R&P.

OldKooT

« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2015, 04:40:02 PM »
I sure did Jim, been trying to decide what I am doing about that front mount. I have a unique issue with the PTO/HYD winch issue that's going to take some creative reworking of that front cross-member.

The other issue is I am considering just moving the shackle mounts in the frame a bit and running 52" rear Dodge 3/4T springs. They have a better weight rating than the Chevy stuff and I own a few sets I can tailor to my liking. So problem is..... I am not sure yet what I need to order. I really need to get it mocked up with some axles under it..... which is what we are trying to accomplish the beginning stages of this weekend.

Offline Jungle

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2015, 06:26:23 PM »
The big difference between the Dodge spring & the chevy spring is the location of the center bolt. The chevy 52" is the center bolt is centered on the spring front to back & the Dodge spring center bolt is off set. Thats why I am using the chevy spring.

Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal