VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Bikes Motorcycles, S x S's, Tractors, and Mowers

AV Gas

(1/3) > >>

KensAuto:
Anyone have experience running this stuff? Other than hearing old timer stories about running it in super stocks, I have zero experience with it.

Here's where I'm headed:
I'm completely fed up with ethanol. It just doesn't hold up to our summers. I'm just going around in circles trying to keep up with everything, rebuilding carbs, cleaning tanks, injectors, etc. I suppose if I sold off all the toys and tools it would be easier, but kinda hate to do that. I haven't had great results from Stabil, and inconsistent results from Seafoam...if and when I remember to use it.
It's bad enough dealing with customer cars with these issues, so I want to switch it up on at least some of my stuff.

First I looked for non-ethanol fuel near me. The nearest non-race pump gas is 100 miles away, and only 87 octane. (I got this info from the website https://www.pure-gas.org/ which I'm pretty sure Charles recommended a long while back). Other, closer stations sell race fuel (94-110 octane, non-lead only, I think) also starting at $8/gal.

I priced out bottom of the line race gas, locally, and it's $8/gal for 94 octane unleaded, straight gas.... same company that sells to some of the stations.

Now,  the small airport 2 miles away has 100 octane leaded for $3.40/gal. I don't plan on using it in anything with a cat, just the UTVs, chainsaws, etc., and toy hauler, for storage and to feed the generator.

Any input? Seems like a reasonable cost to benefit ratio.

Mrwoody:
For the saws and weedeaters i use 1 gal ($8) race gas. 1 gal premium, and stabil.   I've used straight race gas in a two stroke bike but i think it needed to be rejetted as the power was off.   If you use premium the life expectancy (volatility) is more than double that of 87 octane. (as i have been told).    How much fuel are you using? and how long is it sitting between uses?   Haven't used AV gas,  but maybe a 50/50 mixture with Stabil and premium would be the ticket?

JR:
I have a source in Reno for non alcohol. Maverick. I use it in everything but autos now, just about .20 more too.

Have you looked at the boat additives? They have something that works on the alc.

KensAuto:
I would say that the Ranger used about 60 gallons a year. Will definitely be using more now with the General, but it has an O2 sensor, so will probably mix it to lower the lead content.
Just this year I had to redo my trencher (it sat the longest at 11 months), wrecking saw (2 stroke), toy hauler tank and transfer fuel pump, and it's generator fuel pumps and carb, walk behind concrete saw, and the shop quad car pusher, which gets used often.
Not too hip on the high octane, but seems like it would be a small sacrifice (less power).

I might just load up the spare 100 gallon transfer tank and make a road trip, and trust the gas station that offers non ethanol. Pretty sure I couldn't tell the difference until 4 months later when everything starts failing.

KensAuto:

--- Quote from: JR on October 25, 2020, 12:19:15 AM ---I have a source in Reno for non alcohol. Maverick. I use it in everything but autos now, just about .20 more too.

Have you looked at the boat additives? They have something that works on the alc.

--- End quote ---
No I haven't. Just now getting serious since a buddy gave me the gate code at the airport. Haha

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version