VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Everything Trailer, Camper, or RV related

What about a truck camper?

(1/6) > >>

Flyin6:
I owned one back in the 1980's and it was crude at best, but I restored it and used it some mounted on a Ford F250 of mine.

Now I think I want another one.

Looking at our more adventuresome travel as of late, and the prospect of having to sleep in a rooftop tent for more than 30 consecutive days, well...

Kat and I are now doing four or more trips a year. And oddly enough, I am ripening right along. Now, I can climb up and down ladders but I can't ever remember wanting to seek to be miserable. Sort of reminds me of my (many) Armee days when I lived with near-zero support. Yea, well, I didn't like it then and I still don't.

We are doing the Zion National Park trip in a bit more than a month in a Jeep, that's handled. But, for the Wyoming/Montana trip in the summer, well that is a long one. It would be so much nicer in some sort of backpack truck camper perched on my Ram 3500.

I started thinking about this because next year we are driving to the Arctic Ocean. Up the Alcan spending a lot of time in the Canada, then back down the coast of AK, onto a ferry to Seattle, then probably just ship the truck home from there. Anyway, I was going to buy a truck camper for that one. Either that or put a V8 into the Gladiator and install a more substantial backpack camper on it.

I think the smartest thing to do is to keep the Jeep in a roof tent configuration and buy a truck camper

Let the discussion begin:

Bob Smith:
Well the way I see it.
If you are looking for something a bit roomier a camper isn’t much of an answer either. They cost about the same as midsize 5th wheel or pull trailer and either will give you lots more room. My folks did the camper thing so they could pull a boat around. We took it hunting too but only one person at a time could move as there is just not much room in them. Other than the climb up the ladder thing you really have more room now than in a camper and you still climb up to get to the bed.
Either a pull trailer or 5th wheel is much easier to drop from the rig once you get to where you want to explore and many places require the truck camper stay as one unit.

Flyin6:
Well, I don't have a bathroom inside the same space that I sleep in. In fact, I don't have a bathroom at all!
Kat and I got into a small truck camper a few days ago and she was able to move about the cooking area while I was able to fidget around. The way I see it we would only be confined to the cramped interior spaces during inclement weather. The rest of the time we would be sitting outside.

I hate travel trailers and could only go with something smaller like the thing I built (and use) but it has no bathroom or shower. You would park that alongside a trout stream and set up a toilet/shower tent to be workable, but I don't like the idea of pulling anything. I do like the ability to go pretty much the same places I could get to with just the truck and still have my camper.

I also like the ability to offload it to use just the truck if I want to. I watched a vid of a guy with a Palamino unloading his camper in 3 min and 40 seconds. He reattached it and departed in seven minutes.

Bob Smith:
And that is why they sell all styles of R/V’s. I wish I could afford a diesel pusher, but till then I will keep wishing
If you end up with a camper, be sure to put a good heavy duty jack package on it.

halsey:
I use my truck camper many weeks a year. I've done 5 weeks with wife and months on my own. Really nice to have the galley and bathroom.  My propane fridge failed this year so I am switching to 12v compressor and all solar. Never stay anywhere to plug in. I've been driving 1st gen dodges for over 20 years. Towed an airstream some years. Used a simple canopy many years. This old Bigfoot is a great compact unit for the past few years. Easy to haul and easy to park. I never unload it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version