VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Everything Trailer, Camper, or RV related

What about a truck camper?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Farmer Jon:
I have had every kind of camper there is except class A. Truck campers are fine. Little top heavy. I have been thinking more about getting a sprinter van and doing a conversion on that for when the kids are gone. I really like my 5th wheel and truck set up and I will keep that but there are places you just can't get into like you could with a truck camper or a van.

Flyin6:
Looking at this upcoming trip to Wyoming, I will be staying, boondock style along the green river several nights. Maybe find a mesa to park on top of to watch a sunset or two.

Starting to settle in on a new Palamino 2902

It fits 6.5' beds and was upgraded this year with a bunch of solar, 400 watts on the roof, and a 100 Ahr Lithium battery along with an eleven-foot 12V frig. It comes in a little over 3,200 dry. I calculate I have 4,950 payload. Me and Kat, 400, another 300 for fuel. Give us 100 for clothing and 100 for camping stuff. That leaves #4,000 to play with. Take that camper and add in the 45 gal of fresh water (400) and I'd still have 3,600 remaining.

I'd add a camper tiedown, a Helwig sway bar and some Summoto rubber bump stops for another #50 added to the vehicle weight and I still have room for a Big Mac and a non-sweet tea!

Bigdave_185:
Just gonna leave this hear

Then I’ll add a second for the sprinter van either self built or one of the many companies that build them out for you at a $$$ price tag.

I like the dream of an in bed camper but in the end I can to the conclusion there simply isn’t enough space to justify the cost. If you plan to unload the camper to drive truck why not drop your trailer and drive truck, more room, less cost per sqft and have the same amenities.  A 25’ bumper pull would rip behind your truck and still have a spot to put your motorcycle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyin6:
There is a great discussion to be found about this person.

He totally overloaded his truck.

Most 3500 Dually Rams have around a 4,000 payload. Mine has a huge payload at 4950.

This person claimed his available payload was 7,500! There is no way in any universe to have a payload like that. You'd have to have a single cab gasser, 2WD to even get in the 5K range.

So the guy here who is famous for overloading was overloaded by 1.5 tons over the max that the truck could carry. Any truck will eventually fail in this manner if it is grossly overloaded like in this example. F350s are doing the same thing if you search...

Bigdave_185:
Your truck has a higher payload capacity as a srw then a drw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version