Hello Guest

Author Topic: New hardwood reveals an unwanted can of worms.  (Read 4285 times)

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
New hardwood reveals an unwanted can of worms.
« on: July 31, 2017, 12:56:20 PM »
Last night I started pulling up old carpet in preparation for hardwood floor install. What I found underneath was a subfloor of pressboard/particle board. In addition to being junk it has also been damaged by either water, pets, of a combination of both. The roof suffered damage from the 2011 tornadoes (Alabama) and was replaced as a result. We've had no water leaks since moving in April of 2014. I don't build houses for a living but I'm going to take some tools, a rudimentary knowledge of construction, and a friend or two and tackle this myself. For now I have to decide what to replace this with after I get it tore up. Pretty much everyone on this forum knows more about this that I do so any suggestions are welcome.

Also, what is everyone using to host pictures now that photobucket isn't an option? I don't want to cost Chief a bunch of money by loading them straight to Tapatalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 11:47:36 PM by longball »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: New hardwood reveals an unwanted can of worms.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 01:07:46 PM »
I helped my parents replace flooring before, can be time consuming. I use imgur for photo hosting, granted I haven't uploaded any pictures in a long time but that's what I use when I do.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 01:14:43 PM »

Also, what is everyone using to host pictures now that photobucket isn't an option? I don't want to cost Chief a bunch of money by loading them straight to Tapatalk.

Does Tapatalk charge the forum owner for that service? My initial thought was that if pics were uploaded straight to the RMTS server then yes, Chief would have to pay for extra storage/bandwidth. Using the tapatalk app, the pics are hosted on the Tapatalk servers, not RMTS. But again, not sure if tapatalk tracks that and somehow passes that cost on to the forum owner...??

Tried google pics -- that's not a great solution because sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. IMGUR like Bobby said should work, but i've heard its tricky for some to get the URLs out of the app on their phone (for those less tech-inclined).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:15:43 PM by rpar86 »
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 01:44:33 PM »
I thought the forum owner was charged something. Can't remember where I saw that though.

So far all the carpet, pad, tac strips, and baseboards are out of the babies room. Gonna park a trailer under a window so I can heave the scrap out onto it.

What is yalls thoughts on battery powered circular saws?

My old, cheap drill wouldn't cut it so I also bought a drill/impact set.

Rigid has a lifetime warranty on their drills and batteries and for now the Milwaukee set includes three batteries. Either one of those would have been nice I couldn't walk away from something that was assembled (at least partially) here in the USA.

Edited to add pics.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 11:58:39 PM by longball »

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 02:06:36 PM »
Battery Powered Circular Saw.... There are the new ones from Dewalt.... queue Ken..

I have used the 18V Dewalt for years and it has been great for me. Just have to make sure you have batteries.

http://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/saws/circular-saws/612-165mm-18v-cordless-circular-saw-kit/dc390k

Then I bought this adapter for the newer longer lasting batteries and other then a bear to get out of the saw or driver it works great also

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200661496_200661496?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Power%20Tools%20%3E%20Power%20Tool%20Batteries%20%2B%20Chargers&utm_campaign=DEWALT&utm_content=52789&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqvvLBRDIARIsAMYuvBFD8pBbOpxOU4ajzgiCplkFrn53Lkvz0ugRXrPsc1YT2Zae3xpWW8QaAjb8EALw_wcB

:beercheers:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 02:44:03 PM »
Plywood would be my choice - 3/4"
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 02:49:18 PM »
Treated.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 03:22:49 PM »
Does it matter if the stuff I'm taking up is 5/8"? Some places it's under the sheetrock, with a small gap between the two. In other places it's cut even with the bottom of the Sheetrock.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 04:03:00 PM »
A gap between the finished floor and Sheetrock is desirable so slight water infiltration, spills etc don't get soaked up by the Sheetrock.  It gets covered then by baseboard and trim.  You will need to work out your transition wherever your new flooring ends and meets existing flooring.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 04:04:48 PM »
Cordless skill saws are great...but you need batteries as stated earlier.
I think the sawsall is the only tool harder on them.
I think I need that adapter now, have a metal cutting circular saw on old 18v, it loves batteries too.

For the flooring, 5/8 will do (I'd likely up it to 3/4), 3/4 is better, and tounge and groove best if your taking lots/all of it up.
If it's just to patch, I'd replace with same thickness plywood. Get flooring rated (if that's a thing) or best quality you can.
If you haven't had any water come in since owning everything else should be good.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 06:27:29 PM »
Plywood is now in 32th of an inch, so 5/8 is now 19/32 and 3/4 is 23/32. pick the one that's closer to what you have.  T&G for sure

use glue and screws to put it down to avoid squeaks.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 09:21:33 PM »

Does Tapatalk charge the forum owner for that service? My initial thought was that if pics were uploaded straight to the RMTS server then yes, Chief would have to pay for extra storage/bandwidth. Using the tapatalk app, the pics are hosted on the Tapatalk servers, not RMTS. But again, not sure if tapatalk tracks that and somehow passes that cost on to the forum owner...??

Tried google pics -- that's not a great solution because sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. IMGUR like Bobby said should work, but i've heard its tricky for some to get the URLs out of the app on their phone (for those less tech-inclined).
I just load pics straight off my tablet. I can't get taptalk to work on my phone for some reason.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 09:38:46 PM »
Last night I started pulling up old carpet in preparation for hardwood floor install. What I found underneath was a subfloor of pressboard/particle board. In addition to being junk it has also been damaged by either water, pets, of a combination of both. The roof suffered damage from the 2011 tornadoes (Alabama) and was replaced as a result. We've had no water leaks since moving in April of 2014. I don't build houses for a living but I'm going to take some tools, a rudimentary knowledge of construction, and a friend or two and tackle this myself. For now I have to decide what to replace this with after I get it tore up. Pretty much everyone on this forum knows more about this that I do so any suggestions are welcome.

Danke!

:likebutton:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 09:39:29 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 12:33:20 AM »
As far as i know, Tapatalk will not charge to host photos... i use Tapatalk when posting photos from my phone, and Imgur when posting from my laptop. Imgur is super easy.

As for circ saws, cordless are great and have their place. I have an 18v Ridgid, works great. I also have a Skil worm-drive, and that thing don't take prisoners. But its obviously corded, and heavier.

For your floor, if it's just discolored from liquids, just Kilz it and be done. If it's rotten, cut it out and scab in something of equivalent thickness. Use enough liquid nails and it wont squeak. Is your new flooring going to be floating or nailed down?
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 12:38:55 AM »
De nada Jefé.

Work came to a stop around 2230 tonight with all of the carpet, padding, and tac strip out of two rooms and the hallway. The baseboard in the baby's room also had to go and I got a bunch of the underlayment pulled up. Since the baby will be here soon my wife would like to just fixed the damaged spots instead or replacing everything. Since we're under a time constraint, don't plan on living here much longer, and that stuff is so hard to take up I'm inclined to agree with her. We'll see what tomorrow holds when I have some help from my father in law.

Speaking of being hard to remove, is there a tool of method I should be using instead of a flat bar and hammer?

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 12:44:11 AM »
As far as i know, Tapatalk will not charge to host photos... i use Tapatalk when posting photos from my phone, and Imgur when posting from my laptop. Imgur is super easy.

As for circ saws, cordless are great and have their place. I have an 18v Ridgid, works great. I also have a Skil worm-drive, and that thing don't take prisoners. But its obviously corded, and heavier.

For your floor, if it's just discolored from liquids, just Kilz it and be done. If it's rotten, cut it out and scab in something of equivalent thickness. Use enough liquid nails and it wont squeak. Is your new flooring going to be floating or nailed down?

I bought a Dewalt drill/impact combo and circular saw this afternoon. A Milwaukee/Rigid rep almost had me talked into one of their brands. I went with the Dewalt because they were the only company who had any part of their manufacturing process in the United States. The floor is rotten enough that big sections will have to be replaced. The new floor is 3/4" nail down.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 12:48:43 AM »
Just set your depth on your circ saw and cut out squares, and pry em out with a wonder bar.

Now, is that fiberboard on top or cardecking or something (old homes did this often), or is that your actual subfloor that's over your joists?

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 07:31:28 AM »
Just set your depth on your circ saw and cut out squares, and pry em out with a wonder bar.

Now, is that fiberboard on top or cardecking or something (old homes did this often), or is that your actual subfloor that's over your joists?

It's a layer of particle board on top of the subfloor. Underlayment if I'm not mistaken. Didn't even know there was such a thing until yesterday.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 10:01:41 AM »
Yeah good, easy fix then. Cutout the damage, patch in the new, good to go

NRA Life Member

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 10:56:44 PM »

Yesterday I was cutting approximately 6"x6" squares and pulling them up with a wonder bar. Today, when my father in law showed up, he showed me an easier way. Each 8x4 piece takes about 1/4 of the time while doing it his way. I've got more floor to remove in a few days so I'll get some pictures then. My word smithing isn't good enough to explain it without them.

Good news is that by this time tomorrow we should have some of the new hardwood down. The plan is to put another coat of Kilz down early in the morning. By the time help arrives it should be dry enough to start replacing the particleboard. The friend who's laying the hardwood came by with one of the cleats he's using and its plenty long enough to reach through the particle board and into the plywood subfloor.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:59:23 AM by longball »

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 11:42:05 PM »
Found another gem. The ceiling fan in the living room must've been added after the house was built. Power was supplied to it by tying into a plug in the room directly above it (which we're turning into a nursery), bringing it out under the Sheetrock, and drilling a hole in the floor directly above the fan. Before they slapped the carpet back down all called it done they stapled the wire to the underlayment, piercing the insulation a half dozen times of so.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 02:45:53 AM »
People who do wiring like that should be hung by it. You should be able to snake that over now.

I feel your pain and the work to follow. I have the same coming soon.

Screw, don't nail and use LOTS of glue.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2017, 08:40:10 AM »
When I get home this morning I'm going to pull up a section of the floor and route a new wire. We briefly considered having an electrician run the wire from the bottom side but that meant removing some Sheetrock and maybe some ceiling. That'd be another headache we don't want to take on right now. Worst part is that this will hold up the flooring. Oh well, I'm just glad we found it so it can be fixed.

Edit: added a couple pictures to earlier posts.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2017, 11:46:16 AM »
Yeah, I would agree with just cutting open the floor. Gives access to all and easy to cover/repair as you are doing a lot anyway.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2017, 12:33:18 PM »
*gasp*   :facepalm:

That wire was a fire waiting to happen! How old is the house? Builder still around?? Should you make them aware of this?
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2017, 03:09:45 PM »
 :knucklehead:  :facepalm:  :knucklehead:

I'm thinking its a low budget, covert previous homeowner screw up...

:facepalm:
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2017, 07:45:44 PM »
*gasp*   :facepalm:

That wire was a fire waiting to happen! How old is the house? Builder still around?? Should you make them aware of this?
Yes it was. Its amazing what people will do to save a little time or money. The house was built in 1985 so I doubt he is. I think I'm with Sam on this one. This wouldn't be he first time I found a shortcut they took.
:knucklehead:  :facepalm:  :knucklehead:

I'm thinking its a low budget, covert previous homeowner screw up...

:facepalm:
That's what I'm thinking. They laid the floor downstairs themselves and there are several small gaps scattered around. I'm fairly certain they could only cut 90 degree corners and never really figured out the whole tape measure thing.

Mid project pic I snapped for the wife. Pregnancy hormones have her all worked up and she's asking for updates every hour. Her mood is constantly improving though as more and more flooring goes down.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 07:55:05 PM by longball »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2017, 10:39:40 PM »
My sister had a fire from a wire like that in her house.....

Really glad you found it now..
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2017, 10:10:59 PM »
Finished my part of this project today. At least until it's time for baseboards anyway. Ended up using almost 7 sheets of OSB, 3 boxes of screws, and  3/4 qts of kilz to patch all of the bad spots.

Offline Tommy13

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2017, 09:31:01 AM »
How did the new flooring turn out?
Exodus 14:14

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2017, 02:02:16 PM »
Floor itself is good. Yesterday I attempted, and failed miserably, at cutting baseboards and quarter round.

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2017, 02:53:50 PM »

Floor itself is good. Yesterday I attempted, and failed miserably, at cutting baseboards and quarter round.

Need one of those fancy saws like was posted a while back

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal