VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Bikes Motorcycles, S x S's, Tractors, and Mowers

2022 Kawasaki KLR 650

<< < (24/24)

Flyin6:
Put a good solid 120 miles of back country KY roads this afternoon.

I took it easy for awhile but in the end I was bending it down in the corners and riding it like I stole it.

The new shock spring is now showing me the rest of the bike wiggling around in hard turns with bumps. I will need to address the front forks for sure.

The riding position is now very good. The intake sound is now pronounced since the removal of the snorkel

It needs more power, say 10 RWHP will do it, so the 705 or 719 big bore kit just advanced on the list of "I wanna do" stuff.

The bike is great, if you don't mind waiting for the speedo needle to move clockwise. I guess, I don't mind so much. I would like the power to loft the front wheel in second, so maybe I'll go lookin for the ponies.

The Shinko tires work really well. When I'd hit a tar snake, it would slide a bit and then grab the pavement. I slid around on some gravel on the road, and it did so in a controlled manner.

Overall, I'm giving this bike high marks. With all the mods along with the cost of the bike itself, I am still thousands under the cost of a Temere700 or a KTM 890R, my other choices for a dirt oriented adventure bike

JR:
Sounds like fun. Less wight is HP too, so dump all the extra stuff when not in use.

10hp, sounds like a tune and intake work. It is EFI right

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: JR on July 10, 2022, 06:03:43 PM ---Sounds like fun. Less wight is HP too, so dump all the extra stuff when not in use.

10hp, sounds like a tune and intake work. It is EFI right

--- End quote ---
Yes, EFI

Adding just 5 hp to this bike is a challenge. But the overbores of the past were small, topping at 685cc A 719cc will be almost 100% more CC increase over the 685. Then some mid range cams will work better, and the next up valve size will seal the deal. 705's are putting down 47RWHP whereas stockers only put down 33-35. So almost a 50% increase. People that do it report a great running bike that still tractors up steep slow hills but can now hold with 70-75 mph highway traffic pretty effortlessly. Right now, I am pushing the top end of the envelope at 70 with very little left to wide open.

JR:
What about just a cam and tune? 70 seems a little slow really, no "get away speed"

Sue I haven't told you anything you don't know or thought about. But not having to tear the cylinder off and spend $$$?

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: JR on July 10, 2022, 09:47:57 PM ---What about just a cam and tune? 70 seems a little slow really, no "get away speed"

Sue I haven't told you anything you don't know or thought about. But not having to tear the cylinder off and spend $$$?

--- End quote ---
Ya, it's like Kawasaki purposely designed this motor to be a tractor engine with no real power. Not like other bikes at all, KLR's are really underpowered. Feels like a slow KTM 250

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version