Hello Guest

Author Topic: Muzzleloader question  (Read 2683 times)

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Muzzleloader question
« on: November 22, 2015, 01:16:28 PM »
Anyone ever hunt with one? I was wandering around Cabela's today out of boredom and started thinking about trying it out.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Muzzleloader question
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 01:30:26 PM »
I do. I have an older Knight 50 cal inline.
The newer ones are a bit more friendly than mine is, as in cleaning.
Taken quite a few white tails over the years.

As long as you go with new tech, they are quite good.
Depending on the bullets I use, I've had as good as 6" groups at 200 yards.
Might be able to do better, but that is acceptable to me for an ethical kill.
I have shot it further, but to me somewhere in the 200 range is all I will push it for hunting.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 01:40:45 PM »
I do. I have an older Knight 50 cal inline.
The newer ones are a bit more friendly than mine is, as in cleaning.
Taken quite a few white tails over the years.

As long as you go with new tech, they are quite good.
Depending on the bullets I use, I've had as good as 6" groups at 200 yards.
Might be able to do better, but that is acceptable to me for an ethical kill.
I have shot it further, but to me somewhere in the 200 range is all I will push it for hunting.

Most of the ones I looked at today were Knights, if I am remembering correctly. Hm I might have to look into this further.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 02:09:41 PM »
Anyone ever hunt with one? I was wandering around Cabela's today out of boredom and started thinking about trying it out.

Yes, inline tc g2. I have several barrels
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 02:26:58 PM »

Another nudge to look into this.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 02:31:57 PM »

Another nudge to look into this.

Mine is .50 cal I like it. I really like my g2 has custom stock on it etc, in Indiana it extended your deer season (muzzleloader season was end of December) & added to your range versus 12ga slug gun. A lot of guy used these during regular firearms season too.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 02:34:45 PM »
Mine is .50 cal I like it. I really like my g2 has custom stock on it etc, in Indiana it extended your deer season (muzzleloader season was end of December) & added to your range versus 12ga slug gun. A lot of guy used these during regular firearms season too.

Yea, last time I heard Wisconsin's muzzleloader season was in December. I just saw them sitting on a rack at Cabela's and I was thinking " why not see if it's something I wanna try out?"

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 02:43:44 PM »

Yea, last time I heard Wisconsin's muzzleloader season was in December. I just saw them sitting on a rack at Cabela's and I was thinking " why not see if it's something I wanna try out?"

You'd like it I think. Puts more pressure on you to make the single shot count, more of a challenge if you will.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 02:54:53 PM »
You'd like it I think. Puts more pressure on you to make the single shot count, more of a challenge if you will.

Might have to give it a try next season.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 03:03:34 PM »
If we were closer you could borrow mine....

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 07:28:18 AM »
If you're interested Bobby, I've got a T/C Hawken that I built from a kit, percussion (old school mountain man style) as that's what Illinois required at the time.  Accurate with open sights and that was with loose Pyrodex and Buffalo Bullets and/or patched round balls- free for you to use if you're interested.  That would let you try it without cost- that's how I ended up with building one; I'd just be paying it forward.  Let me know-
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 07:58:11 AM »
With the modern stuff, mine is a TC omega Z5, you are basically shooting a modern firearm out to about 200 yds.  Just like any gun, check and see what it like to shoot and get after it.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 10:22:07 AM »
built from a kit, percussion (old school mountain man style)
 with open sights and that was with loose Pyrodex and Buffalo Bullets and/or patched round balls

I was actually looking at a kit for one of those. I was thinking about a winter project, more of a give me something to do type thing.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 03:47:21 PM »
This is great as I have thought about these for sometime now, but not pulled the trigger yet   ::)

Nice thing is they are unregistered and can be sent through the mail.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal