Hello Guest

Author Topic: Toter-home build.  (Read 17237 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Toter-home build.
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2018, 07:41:22 AM »
Looking good! Any pics of the bed from behind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2018, 06:18:54 AM »
It looks crooked but its not. I dont know whats going on there. But where the tail lights were I'm thinking clear LED lights for back up lights. That or block them off. I have some aluminum diamond plate I might use to cover the back. Cut to size and a few self tapping screws will dress that up nicely.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2018, 07:34:47 AM »
Looks good. Some backup or auxiliary lights there would help at night when unhooking or hooking up. Shines right on the hitch

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2018, 08:49:38 AM »
Great work.  I vote lights as well.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2018, 08:57:13 AM »
Agreed, lights back there would be handy. I would put a switch back there to turn on & off because I would forget to turn it on in cab prior to going back there.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2018, 03:27:24 PM »
Might even wire a three way so either on or off from in cab or out. Kinda like a three way in the house.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2018, 07:10:43 AM »
There is a LED work light on the side of the cab already. The fuel tank for the generator I got has lights built in. Plus the ones in the bed. I will have more light going backward than forward!

I got a lot done this week. I should say we. If I did not have help from my brother and a friend I wouldn't even have the bed on yet. My nephew didn't have school so he dove in with us. And My boss for letting my charge parts to him. We will figure out the bill later.

The John Deere fuel tank I just bought on an online auction. Holds 80 gallons. Meant to be mounted on the front of a tractor. Has all mounting brackets. Will have to modify some but its going on the bed. front and center.

Got the generator mounted. I put rubber strips between every piece of metal that is bolted together. I have one vent hole to cut yet. I will probably end up taking it to a muffler shop to run the exhaust. Last time I tried to make custom exhaust at home I had to make 10 trips to town.

Gutted out the interior of the sleeper. Insulation is going down on the floor then some 1/4 inch underlay and then peel and stick carpet squares.  I haven't found the right seats yet. I found some that will work but they are not exactly what I want.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2018, 07:17:37 AM »
We found out real quick that they used steel rivets to hold everything together. Drilling didn't work. We had to grind off the heads of all the rivets. It was a hot messy job. I am glad my nephew showed up. Everything was tied into everything else. I don't thing I took away from the structural integrity at all. It seemed to me it was designed to keep the person in the bed in case of of a rollover accident. There was a net that the passenger should use when team driving.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2018, 07:33:34 AM »
That thing is a palace!

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2018, 07:41:36 AM »
Its getting there. I don't know how I am going to attach the seats yet. The floor is thin aluminum. I will have to beef it up. If you look at the picture above there are 3 black dots on the back wall. That is where the bunk net was bolted to. What ever I do with seats they will be secured to that also for extra support. Maybe with chain or I will make something and bolt it solid to it. I don't know. That is yet to come. I cant work on it much in the next couple weeks so I have time to ponder.

I want to be able to pull in someplace and stay for a few days self contained. I have ideas for extra water tanks. I know I can go a good week before my waste tanks get full. That is even with a few short showers.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2018, 07:58:04 AM »
Great progress!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2018, 12:26:23 PM »
All that room up front and passengers can ride in the trailer too!

Nice progress.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2018, 02:04:34 PM »
I was trying to figure out what you meant when you said "lights built in to the fuel tank". Now I see.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2018, 04:39:03 PM »
Nice! :likebutton:

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2018, 06:04:50 PM »
Worked on the interior today. Carpet is not glued down yet. Just laid out to see if I like it or not. Once the floor is done then I can get the fridge and microwave installed. I really need to find an upholstery cleaner. These walls and seats are filthy. When its all done I may have to take it to a detail shop.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2018, 07:38:12 AM »
Got my seats prepped and ready to go in the sleeper. They came out of a 2000 Chevy pickup. They sit low on a flat floor so I had to raise them up a little bit. I used 5x5x1/4 square tube. Its over kill but I didn't want to use wood blocks. I just need one more seat.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2018, 06:06:23 PM »
 Trying to get everything organized. There will be 3 seats. Granted the far right one will be tight and have part of their view lost. The smallest person will have to sit there. Most of the time we will only have 2 kids along so not an issue. Its not as bad as it looks in the picture. I am 6 ft tall I can sit there pretty comfortably and still see out the windshield.

Where the boxes are stacked is where the cabinet will be. Port-a-pot on bottom. Then fridge and microwave. I don't plan on ever using the Port-a-pot  but I need it in there to meet the requirements of a Motor home. 

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2018, 06:09:49 PM »
Your requirements must be diff. than ours. I think we just need a sink and fridge. A portable potty is still easier than sink though!   

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2018, 01:53:01 PM »
These are the requirements. Only need four of the requirements. Some state you need all of them. You can get a porta potty with attached sink. Kills 2 birds with one stone  but it takes up more room.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2018, 09:12:42 PM »
By mounting my shell to the truck, it is now not considered a pickup anymore. Saves me over $$200 a year reg, not supposed to tow or put things in the back either, right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2018, 09:18:07 PM »
By mounting my shell to the truck, it is now not considered a pickup anymore. Saves me over $$200 a year reg, not supposed to tow or put things in the back either, right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Is that just for HD models?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2018, 03:43:52 AM »
Any pickup, paperwork is easy. They consider it a car now. 

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2018, 08:39:18 AM »
Has me wondering if hippy land is the same?

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2018, 08:57:22 AM »
I'm pretty sure in WI it has to deal with the percentage of cargo hauling area vs passenger area.  Cap or not, there are no seats with seat belts back there so it is cargo hauling area.  Then again I only pay a total of $120 for my C class truck plates.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2018, 09:25:58 AM »
I'm pretty sure in WI it has to deal with the percentage of cargo hauling area vs passenger area.  Cap or not, there are no seats with seat belts back there so it is cargo hauling area.  Then again I only pay a total of $120 for my C class truck plates.

Back in Indiana the big jump was from 3/4 ton to 1 ton in terms of cost. 1/2 & 3/4 we’re reasonable then when you went to 1 ton they figured you were hauling 45K around all the time.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2018, 11:25:08 AM »
Any pickup, paperwork is easy. They consider it a car now. 

Sounds like liberal logic. Just like " hey we passed gun control laws, problem over"

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2018, 01:16:25 PM »
Got the seats in. Cross that off to do list. A carpenter friend of mine has a real good start on the cabnet for the fridge and microwave.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2018, 03:56:25 PM »
Got a lot done this weekend. Did a little wood work in the cab where the bed was. Finished up the cabinet for the fridge and microwave. It is stained and clear coated. Ready to go in tomorrow when I have some help. Mounted and wired up 2 new back up lights on the fairings. No pictures yet. The camera on my phone quit working.   Mounted and plumbed the fuel tank for the generator. I still need to come up with a battery box. Then I am just going to take it to a muffler shop to do the exhaust. I don't have a pipe bender. Last time I did exhaust myself I had to make 5 trips to town.  After that off to the electrician to wire up the cab and put some outlets out side on the bed along with a 30amp camper plug. I don't get along with wires all that well. I can handle some small stuff but I want this wired up right.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2018, 04:01:21 PM »
Heck, I don't even have a regular camera anymore (kids broke em all too) Plus DL to the PC is so easy.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2018, 07:24:55 AM »
Got a new phone so here are pics of what got done this week.

Generator is all done at far as I will go. I take it in to a muffler shop next week. Then to the electrician. Fuel tank is bolted in through the channel iron under the bed. Made use of the factory mounts and made brackets on the headache rack. This thing is going no where.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2018, 07:29:34 AM »
Got the lights all wired up. On top of the cab on either side are John Deere tractor head lights. They are really bright. I have to see if I can replace the ones in the tank with LED. That is an 80 gallon fuel tank. That should last a while.
Got the cabinet in for fridge and microwave. Should have that along with the inverter installed today.
The end seat is a little tight but it's not horrible.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 07:34:14 AM by Farmer Jon »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2018, 09:22:50 AM »
As nice as that will be I’m not sure you need the 5thwheel. You could add a bunk house on back and call it good!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2018, 09:52:57 AM »
Looking good  :likebutton:

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2018, 11:44:57 AM »
As nice as that will be I’m not sure you need the 5thwheel. You could add a bunk house on back and call it good!

I think I will put hooks for a Hammok in there. Just in case.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2018, 11:51:06 AM »
Got everything in. I will not get the Inverter wired up today. I have the wrong size wire and we are having a Blizzard today.

I used the factory TV hold down strap on the microwave. Then I made brackets to hold the fridge in. Similar to what they use in the out door kitchen on campers.

I bolted the cabinet in using the factory studs that held in the original cabinet. Plus a couple carriage bolts in the floor.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2018, 01:05:49 PM »
Mounting a tv in the sleeper for the kids?

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2018, 01:25:36 PM »
Eventually yes. Its going to go overhead the front seats. I already know how I am going to run the wires.  Right now I am just doing everything I need. Next winter I will install the TV and DVD player then go over some cosmetic issues.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2018, 08:50:29 PM »
Got the inverter wired up today. Used 1/0 welding cable. Used a 150 amp fuse link. I had the guy at the welding supply store crimp on a couple ends for me. They were junk. Slipped right off. So I used some solder on ends.
I hooked them straight to the batteries. Drilled holes through the floor. Then slid the cables through rubber grommets. Lots of dawn dish soap and they slid right through.
 Everything seemed to work when I tested it.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2018, 09:07:06 PM »
That’ll carry some juice!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2018, 09:36:11 PM »
Those $25 crimpers from Amazon have been worth their weight gold and then some around my place.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2018, 12:02:53 PM »
Just put the little guy in that seat!

I have an anvil crimper that works good. That and good heatshrink is a must. I think the hand hydro crimpers would be better.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2018, 08:34:43 PM »
I tried real hard to wait until next year to buy new seats but they were just too far gone. Besides that Sioux City Peterbilt gave me $100 off per seat so...I would normally have bought full leather but this truck is for pleasure not work. I hate sticking to a seat when I wear shorts.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2018, 08:43:50 PM »
Those are pretty nice looking.  :likebutton:

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2018, 07:34:36 AM »
I got the generator back from the muffler shop and it ran rough real rough. So I took it back to where I got it from. They said they would check it all out.

This where I earn the dummy of the day award. The guy called and said the generator runs fine. It ran rough for a few minutes and straitened right out.

So, I'm sitting there talking to my brother about it and he asked if I ever shut the choke off. He choked it the first day we test fired it. Ran it for a 30 seconds tops (no exhaust on it at that point) and shut it off and went home. I said no I did not shut the choke off I thought it was automatic.

So that was my problem. Turns out it won't run very well with the choke left on.

Anyway. I tried charging the Air conditioner on the truck. I put in 6 cans of Freon. It worked very well for about 15 minutes. So now its at a shop getting that fixed. I found oil on one of the lines so I hope its just a blown line. With my luck its the most expensive line.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2018, 08:03:29 AM »
Progress Jon!  :likebutton:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2018, 08:25:35 AM »
:like

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2018, 09:31:19 AM »
The important question is,  did they charge you to tell you the choke was on or did they let you save face and not tell you that was the issue?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2018, 03:17:21 PM »
Careful, he may "choke" on the answer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2018, 04:16:39 PM »
6 cans of freon!?! Yikes

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal