Hello Guest

Author Topic: SquareD Part 6 Bumpers, Winches, wiring, lights, assembly  (Read 455720 times)

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: SquareD Part 6 Starting to finish!!!
« Reply #1350 on: July 18, 2015, 02:21:50 AM »
I never thought about using a dimple press to strengthen metal like. Bumper is looking great.
2001 Silverado 3500 Drw Crew Cab 2wd 6.0 Gasser High Flow Mufflers and S&B Intake
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline akraven

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: July 18, 2015, 02:38:41 AM »
Looks really great. Could you remove the winch handle and use an extension or drill to lower the tire so you wouldn't have to remove the cans?
Good thought. I just made an adapter for my friends trailer tongue jack that he uses with the battery powered impact wrench he carries. Works great and saves alot of cranking. It is removable if he for some reason doesn't have the wrench and can use the original handle.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: July 18, 2015, 08:32:07 AM »
Did those dies come from Bonny or custom made?

I sure like em, nice work.
Fred,

Some guy down in the Texas who is no longer in business. I got 4 different sizes for around $100 maybe 8 years ago.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: July 18, 2015, 08:36:07 AM »
Looks really good Don. Did you get the sag out that had happened with the weight of the spare? I know you had mentioned it, and now the holes to shave weight. Or is it going to be a fact of life with the swing gate, and it will be secure and straight on its base in the closed position.
Haven't worked on it

But here's what I'm thinking:

I need to reinforce the 90 degree bend part of that gate. All the droop is happening right there

What I'm thinking is something like a 3" tall rib of .250 welded on the top of the top bar and the bottom of the lower one and start there. Afterward, see what is going on and go from there

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: July 18, 2015, 08:38:17 AM »
Looks really great. Could you remove the winch handle and use an extension or drill to lower the tire so you wouldn't have to remove the cans?

I could probably do either of those options, but it's simple enough to just pull a can or two

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: July 18, 2015, 08:40:29 AM »
Those dimple dies look really good as well as helping stiffen that up. I too would be curious where you got them.
Trick tools sells them now, but EXPENSIVE
I'd do a search. I remember a man in the Canada who was making them out of mild steel. They would be good for light gage and not last forever, but perfect in my view for a hobbyist

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: July 18, 2015, 08:48:45 AM »
Good thought. I just made an adapter for my friends trailer tongue jack that he uses with the battery powered impact wrench he carries. Works great and saves alot of cranking. It is removable if he for some reason doesn't have the wrench and can use the original handle.
Hmmm, first Massachusetts, now Alaska on the screwdriver/impact idea

Funny how things work out, let me explain

Wednesday I ordered a 20V Porter-Cable screwdriver-impact set. This COP place sells factory reconditioned tools. It's where I got the Bosch tool boxes from. They had the really good PC 20V set for $99, so I snapped them up. I plan to weld a socket to a steel bar someplace and plug the impact into it and secure it with a bungee...Now you boneheads are all suggesting I use one

Hmmm...Providence perhaps???

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: July 18, 2015, 09:03:48 AM »
Don, of all the things you have made so far, I like the can carrier best.  That is some slick stuff right there.  Amazing, really, considering all the stuff I've heard about you Army guys...
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: July 18, 2015, 10:28:21 AM »
The total package of the back of your truck looks awesome Don‼️
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline duramaxdarren

• self proclaimed nice guy
  • Registered
  • hooper drives the boat chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: July 18, 2015, 02:14:46 PM »
i was thinking you would most certainly want to be able to change a tire with speed. not safe to be out there exposed for any length of time giving someone time to do not nice thing. a extension rod that couples on to extend past the rack like a ratchet extension that can accept either a hand crank or slam a cordless drill on it with be best of both worlds. have a little tall thin sleeve with a cap on the side of the rack to house the extension pieces to eliminate the search for them would be best i think
07 gmc crew lbz

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: July 18, 2015, 02:21:46 PM »
i was thinking you would most certainly want to be able to change a tire with speed. not safe to be out there exposed for any length of time giving someone time to do not nice thing. a extension rod that couples on to extend past the rack like a ratchet extension that can accept either a hand crank or slam a cordless drill on it with be best of both worlds. have a little tall thin sleeve with a cap on the side of the rack to house the extension pieces to eliminate the search for them would be best i think

OR- unbolt spare and cut nylon strap flopping tire to ground, put on spare and ditty mau leaving jack, flat etc. where it lays.........⭐️⭐️⭐️
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• View Profile
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: July 18, 2015, 06:27:45 PM »
The total package of the back of your truck looks awesome Don‼️

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: July 18, 2015, 06:29:02 PM »
Ya know, that makes sense to me
Extended crank, coming up

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: July 20, 2015, 03:04:43 PM »
Looking good Don! Great work. It is all tying together nicely.

If anyone is looking for dimple dies I have purchased a few things from Swag Offroad and they have been very good.

Not sure if $400.00 is too steep but here they are.

http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Pipe-Dimple-Dies-5-Piece-Set-_p_112.html

I am however surprised that the DOT S.I.U chatter has subsided.  8)
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: July 20, 2015, 03:28:11 PM »
DOT chatter eh??? 

Better not....

Looking good Don.  Nice progress and very creative thought! 

Keep it up...

And I agree with the extension and portable impact for the winch...  We did the same setup on a manual crank gooseneck trailer.  Use a portable 1/2" impact.  Works very well.   8)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: July 20, 2015, 08:32:19 PM »
DOT chatter eh??? 

And I agree with the extension and portable impact for the winch...  We did the same setup on a manual crank gooseneck trailer.  Use a portable 1/2" impact.  Works very well.   8)
Yep,

Concur

Heard it from enough smart guys to get the hint!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 07:56:57 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: July 21, 2015, 05:09:08 PM »
Hey Don, Long time lurker, first time SquareD poster...

I had a thought regarding the spare tire winch. Suppose your drill battery is dead: Sure you could pull the water cans out and use the crank, but what about mounting the winch 180* so you throw open the rear gate and crank the tire down from the backside of the winch. No need to fuss with a drill/extension, just flip a couple gate latches to get to it. May save precious time in a hairy situation - especially if the drill battery is dead and you have to go to "plan 2" and pull the water cans and dig out the handle (which I'm sure will be conveniently located in an easy to access location in the rear of the bed).

Now, I suppose you could also fabricate something so the handle could be used front or back. One negative I see to this is that the gate would be free to sway as you're raising/lowering that mammoth tire - maybe a pin to lock the gate open at a 45* and 90* angle - like positive stops on a miter saw.

My fabrication skill are non-existent compared to yours, so take my $.02 as you will.  :)

-Ryan
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: July 21, 2015, 06:00:23 PM »
now that is a good thought ryan
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: July 21, 2015, 07:48:25 PM »
Here is another thought.  If you've ever been to a beach house that had storm shutter on the outside, they often have these hand cranks on the inside that are straight but have joints in them to create a crank by moving two of the joints at 90 degrees  to each other.  By permanently affixing the crank to the winch , you could have it at the ready, deploy qucikly and probably as fast as a drill when you consider the time it takes to extract the drill and get it on the winch.

I'll keep searching for a better picture.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: July 21, 2015, 07:49:54 PM »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: July 21, 2015, 07:51:12 PM »
The have a universal joint at the connection to the winch and and the two joints that turn the straight rod into the crank.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: July 21, 2015, 09:04:21 PM »
Awesome job on the dimpoling....dimple dying....di...

Dangit, good job on the can carrier is what I'm trying to say.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: July 21, 2015, 10:22:39 PM »
You boneheads crack me up!

OK, Ryan, the mount is done bro, not going to mess with that any more. But not to fear, I thought about it and having a longer handle, and now the contraption Red Neck just came up with makes a bunch of sense.

I think I'll just make up a handle with the joints in it, long enough to clear the cans and Velcro strap retain it in the CTRP (Close to ready position)  ;)

Dr, Ken, you liking them thar dimples? I like em' better on ladies than on can racks, but they are workin' on that steel pretty good me thinks!

Offline duramaxdarren

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: July 22, 2015, 04:51:43 AM »
don, you know as well as all of us. gotta go with what your comfortable with, after all its you who'll be using it. loving the progress as usual. soldier on my friend
07 gmc crew lbz

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: July 22, 2015, 11:13:20 AM »
Just to throw one more option out there, eliminating the "handle in the way" scenario, why not get a tire iron or extra trailer scissor jack bar like this< http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Redline/BAL-24033.html and weld a lug nut to the center of the crank? not sure how difficult it would be given the weight of the spare assembly and reducing leverage, but it would potentially be a faster way down at least.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: July 22, 2015, 01:02:38 PM »
Man I build a 600 HP motor and get 4 replies.

Make a handle too short and we have everyone piping in!!

TWTD (The ways of the DOT!) ;)

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: July 22, 2015, 01:24:33 PM »
The motor seems to have no possible adjustments, (other than running) ;) The fabrication part gets our collective creative juices going.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: July 22, 2015, 01:49:26 PM »
Just to throw one more option out there, eliminating the "handle in the way" scenario, why not get a tire iron or extra trailer scissor jack bar like this< http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Redline/BAL-24033.html and weld a lug nut to the center of the crank? not sure how difficult it would be given the weight of the spare assembly and reducing leverage, but it would potentially be a faster way down at least.

Now that's an even better idea! Use the same size lugnut as the wheels and now you only have one tool to lug around (see what I did there?) ;)

Though, I'm not sure the bar Tate found would be strong enough to break the lugs on those wheels though. What do you have those torqued to, 60-jigatons? Or the German equivalent - "Gud'n'tite"?
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: July 22, 2015, 02:22:04 PM »

But you installed it, someone else built it.. You deprived the DOTs of build thread substance. SO now we pile on even the most minute of details.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: July 22, 2015, 06:02:02 PM »
Bobby just said, "you didn't build that"

Yikes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline duramaxdarren

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: July 22, 2015, 08:21:11 PM »
think im gonna stay off the forum for a tic or two....doesnt seem safe now
07 gmc crew lbz

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: July 22, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »

Let us parse that statement...

Man I build a 600 HP motor
Allegedly...as has been pointed out, more accurately. "I subcontracted a build of a motor"  As for the HP, that pre-supposes that it has been or will run..
and get 4 replies.

Perhaps a slight exaggeration

again perhaps an exaggeration however keep in mind when you posted the motor here there were like 4 of us signed up.  So it is a good thing.  Mucho more people on the site to give their opinions, which I believe you have solicited as part of your build.

Lay down with dogs, get up with fleas.....what else did you expect, sir?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: July 22, 2015, 09:40:22 PM »
are you scared Darren...............?!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: July 22, 2015, 10:40:31 PM »
Bobby just said, "you didn't build that"

Yikes!!

Where did I hear that from before????

Some psychopath I believe

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: July 22, 2015, 10:43:55 PM »
So the first thing I wanted to do was to punch out those 3/8" holes to some respectful 5/8" ones for some larger retention pins.

Plus I got to try out the new 20V drill

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: July 22, 2015, 10:45:22 PM »
Standard implement retention pins work fine for this application

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: July 22, 2015, 10:47:00 PM »
After that was tucked in, I went after the tire winch crank everyone is all amped up over.

I selected a length of 1" tubing and welded a 15mm socket into it

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: July 22, 2015, 10:48:51 PM »
Then I drilled the other end to match the existing hole in the original hand crank. A single 1/4" bolt retains the handle into the extension. I have the option of removing the bolt and using the hand crank as supplied if need be

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: July 22, 2015, 10:49:57 PM »
You don't have the "remove before flight" tag on the implement pin!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: July 22, 2015, 10:50:56 PM »
I'll slip a piece of PVC loosely over the extension to act as a grab surface to finish the handle off.

The can box shrank somehow (Welding heat??) so I split it and opened it up a bit. Now the cans can actually be removed without a crane!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: July 22, 2015, 10:51:27 PM »
You don't have the "remove before flight" tag on the implement pin!
Fight or flight??

I choose the former!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: July 22, 2015, 10:52:25 PM »
Next, I wanted to store the crank handle right there, so we will, using these two little sections of tubing

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: July 22, 2015, 10:53:47 PM »
The piece with the hole gets a 3/8" through bolt to keep the crank from slipping through, and the sections were welded onto the frame and can carrier

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: July 22, 2015, 10:54:55 PM »
Resulting in this:

The handle will be secured by a piece of Velcro tape later on after painting

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: July 22, 2015, 10:56:30 PM »
We still have a couple more projects left for this bumper thing, but that will wait at least today. I wanted to finish off the limb riser I started with the front bumper tubing.

Here's the hardware I'll be using

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: July 22, 2015, 10:58:11 PM »
Using a stainless 5/16" eye bolt and a 6" pretty stout spring and some 3/16" aircraft cable, the thing takes shape

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: July 22, 2015, 11:00:03 PM »
Looking good boss

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: July 22, 2015, 11:00:21 PM »
The spring allows for some movement while keeping things nicely snugged up at all times. The cable ties the cab onto the bumper, so if the cab breaks off I will not lose it!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: July 22, 2015, 11:02:15 PM »
Looks like I am 50% for success. I'll have to relocate the left side forward mount to allow me to open the hood

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal