Hello Guest

Author Topic: Property thoughts, advice  (Read 1741 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Property thoughts, advice
« on: January 01, 2019, 10:40:03 PM »
May as well get going on this as so much is flying through my skull I need more to muddy it up. I have been thinking of some land for some time now and now it should come to pass.

Looking at getting 20+ acres (hopefully more) OOS (out of state). This may or may not turn into a permanente residence depending on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Want it backed/sided to open/blm land so as not surrounded and no HOAs with easy to handle building regs. I am looking south of the Reno area, which allows decent access from several highways in about 3 hours. I budget in mind, but a little flexible depending on the parcel. I do not want a plod of dirt in the middle of more dirt!

Not really worried about power/water or structures for now, the right property is the thing first. I already have ideas for storage (shipping cont) and living (24ft TH). Tractor and HD trailer for sure
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
Re: Property thoughts, advice
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 09:10:06 AM »
Sounds like fun JR. Are you looking for Off Grid on On grid? Tree's a priority? Water/stream on site?

There aren't any old ICBM silo's for sale in Nevada? :)
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 09:23:23 AM »
Great mental exercise JR,

I would still give strong consideration to electric. Even if you go off grid it’s great to have options.  One of our criteria was accessibility.  We wanted 2-2 1/2 hour drive max so that we would be able to use it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 12:03:47 PM »
One thing I’ll throw out in regards to power and water, look at the regulations of the county the land is in. Seems certain areas are making it harder and harder and even illegal to harvest rain water, or create an entirely off the grid house.

Certain places are also making solar for a home too costly to own. Like it is down here where we live, luckily ours was in before the power company made it this way.

In looking at land, try to find an average (kind of a loosely used term) well depth as drilling a well can be a significant expense, especially if you have to go 300 feet.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 02:47:19 PM »
Having power nearby is definitely something I would like. Well or water is a big plus, just have to see. Trees and a stream would be nice. It's there, but pretty $$.

I like the idea of rolling land maybe against hills/ mountains. I doubt I will get a thing like Don has but like it.

What does a well run if from scratch? I have see props with a well casing listed which I take it is not being used or dried up. 

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 05:18:40 PM »
In our mountains, I've seen them start at 6k for 100ft deep. I priced one for my brothers house here in town (long story) and it was 50k+, without the pump, etc., to go close to 1000ft for good water. (our water table is over 600ft down)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 05:32:37 PM »
It's going to depend  a lot on how deep you need to go.  Once you pick an area you should be able to find a public map to see how deep some of the other wells are in that area to guesstimate how deep you would need to drill.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 05:35:25 PM »
I would estimate 10k for a well if the table if not too deep. 400-600 ft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 05:35:28 PM »
JR, most counties have online access to tell you the average water depth as it will rise and fall throughout the seasons. Many variables can come into play on that as well when drilling. For instance I had two wells on my farm. One for the house 60’ deep and the one at the pond which was a couple hundred. What happened was they hit sulfur water (pretty common in NW Ohio’s but hit a pocket of it in NE In when drilling that well. So the owner at time told them to keep drilling, they hit bedrock then went another 50’. Best water I ever drank, the well or water depth averaged 40’ year around in those wells. The one drilled at the pond was about 15k to drill versus my first home which was 4-5k back in 2002.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 05:36:30 PM »
I would estimate 10k for a well if the table if not too deep. 400-600 ft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charles, that sounds cheap....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 05:44:58 PM »
Water table should be good if I don't have water. I am seeing wells (USGS) at up to 200ft, but many are under 100, some at 25. But another bargaining chip for sure.

I was seeing 1500-2000 for a 120-150 footer with a quick search. Sure that is without pump and all the rest.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 05:55:00 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 06:26:29 PM »
Wow, 2 grand for a well sounds way cheap.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 07:05:26 PM »
Edit:

I pulled the invoice up.

$2160 to drive a 6" well to 135 ft
$1008 for 63' of 6" casing. (I believe here code here says 5' of casing must be in bedrock so the amount of casing getting burried will also vary.)

There is 1 line item here with a bunch of stuff including the pump, pressure tank plumbing capping the old well and labor for $3100.  Not sure how much of that was related to capping  the old well. 

A few other miscellaneous stuff brought my total to $7100.  Again, hard to decipher from this how much of that was due to capping the old well.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 07:29:27 PM by Bear9350 »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 08:19:56 PM »
Shawn YMMV but around these parts, its about right.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 08:37:40 PM »
Bet there's a few more drilling outfits in Texas also.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 05:28:56 AM »
And less rock in these parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal