Hello Guest

Author Topic: Pump or automatic?  (Read 468 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Pump or automatic?
« on: January 28, 2024, 09:29:18 AM »
I moved a growing gun discussion here from a truck build thread to keep it separate:

Interestingly, most of the military uses the Mossy

But when I attended the Blackwater weeks-long shooting course (twice) they always had a rack with Remy 870's and Mossberg 500's. I was wondering who ran the Remy 870 and I theorized that a lot of police and swat ran those.
I grew up with a Winchester-modeled "Ted Williams" 12-gage pump. Long barrel, poly choke, and the 870-style safety. When I got into tactical shotgunning in the 160th, the ST6 guys gave me a Police Persuader, 20" Mossberg 500. I still have it today. I carried that on several tactical real-world missions in a couple of hostilities each. A crew chief broke the stock when he saw it flopping around in the back of the aircraft tossed it on top of a pile of bags and ran a cargo strap over it. When he cranked down the strap it leveraged the stock and broke it. Therefore, I run a Car-15 style collapsible rear stock. But the gun runs fine to this day. Is the new almost Ranger's favorite gun.

But I had a Saiga 12 gauge built for me to sling over the seat for my Kandahar fun days. I had that or a real Ruskey AK-47 banging around back there. Now. cradled in the seat armor almost touching me was a Bushmaster or Colt M4 with the three-round burst thingy. That Saiga runs with only the 20-round drum (or is it 25???). It has NEVER jammed or failed to go bang. I run 2 3/4 00 buckshot exclusively in it. Since it has a gas system it might get janky with some light trap and skeet loads. In my truck, I theoretically carry a 930 Mossy with some mods. The reason is that as a result of most (helo) crashes I have been in or seen you usually come out of the wreckage minus one or more functioning limbs. So I know that I can shoot that 930 one-handed just fine for all 8 rounds. If I need more, I suppose, I am all prayed up, and with heavy reliance on the grace of my creator, ready to take the next step into the bright light.

Love the discussion and love a pump. Just have seen the value of a good running automatic and I trust mine.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 09:31:46 AM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Pump or automatic?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 12:48:45 PM »
I just find the pump guns easier to manipulate (swapping or inserting loads during training) and I’m familiar enough with the 870 version to run them blind folded from years of hunting with them. A couple cheap upgrades and you can extend the round capacity and hold additional loads such as slugs on the side of them opposite the ejection port.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2024, 03:04:10 PM »
I think those side saddle fixtures for extra shells are made for about everything.

In the past on my persuader 8-round, I had a looped sling with 25 rounds on it along with five more on the receiver.

I have six rounds receiver side on my Mossy 930.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2024, 03:38:45 PM »
Speaking of siaga, I have a couple of those and not sure they would be my go to for a shotgun for self defense. Although, a drum mag full of slugs and an old stump sure is a lot of fun.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2024, 03:58:00 PM »
Speaking of siaga, I have a couple of those and not sure they would be my go to for a shotgun for self defense. Although, a drum mag full of slugs and an old stump sure is a lot of fun.
Mine is highly modified.
Barrel is shortened, poly chole, folding stock, bolt slide both right and left side (cool mod) gas piston reworked, trigger reworked, rebuilt with only the best parts. $3K build, cool cerakote in a camo pattern, better sights.

Built by Blackwater's chief armorer at the time.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 03:58:59 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2024, 05:39:48 PM »
Semi autos are fine and I hunt with them.  Cycling a pump (slight rearward pressure on the slide during trigger pull) can be pretty quick and once you are empty, moving and tossing a round in the open port is much easier than trying to feed an auto.

In addition to the round selection issue Shawn mentioned.

I have quite a few 870s, from stock police models with extended tubes, to the tactical with the crenelated choke to my Wilson Combat 870, sprayed with backyard rattle can camo, ring sight and collapsible stock.

I have a Saiga or two but haven’t really taking a liking to them yet.  The Benellis I have are for waterfowl hunting and there aint much sweeter than a Super Black Eagle with 3-1/2 magnum steel shot.

But in the end I think it’s like pistols or anything else, practice practice practice.

I’m reminded of that scene from Unforgiven where Eastwood lays quite a few people low with a side by side.  Slow methodical and deliberate he reloaded and put some hurt on some people.

And my favorite scene where Hackman says “ you shot an unarmed man!”  Eastwood retorts, “well he should have armed himself” “ and thats what he gets for decorating his saloon with my friend”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2024, 03:49:01 PM »
My vote is for a pump. Semi auto are great for waterfowl, and some are even works of art. Basic utility of the pump for me anyway is much easier to operate one handed or non dominant hand and tatical reload is easier.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2024, 08:07:34 PM »
I have an 500, KSG, Win XTR SA for hunting and the SA Weatherby, all 12G. Changed the weight on the W-SA to take 2 3/4 shells, was made for 3". Pistol grip on the 500.

The WB kick like a mule even turned down. KSG does not kick as the others, but is heavy and 14 rounds is nice, but you can't baby it at all.

I don't have a preference on SA vs pump, but NOTHING puts the fear of God into someone like the racking the action. Many a time thats all you need. Now saying that, I like a SA for follow up shots if needed.

I have a 20rnd sling for the 500 and WB, both at the Ridge just because (KISS) No extra rounds carried for the KSG and you can't combat load, but you can switch which tube you feed from and can turn in a hall, doorway (or a vehicle) without issue.

I think I would stay with pump for the same KISS. SA eats ammo and the charge handle can get in the way for storage.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024, 10:14:42 PM »
Good points JR!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal