Hello Guest

Author Topic: New Kaufman trailer  (Read 3414 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
New Kaufman trailer
« on: January 28, 2022, 03:59:35 PM »
I just purchased a new Kaufman trailer

Actually, I just placed my order for a new Kaufman trailer after going through a few loops with Big Tex

Side note from that experience: DO NOT buy a Big Tex trailer unless you just are flushed with cash!

The total cost for a 17,000 GVW twin axle 20' Kaufman with LED lighting, a spare 17.5" H-rated heavy steel wheel/tire and a pintle hitch was:$7653.30 which I consider a fair price. It has uprated steel ramps since it is meant for skid steers and other very heavy things and a lifetime warranty wiring harness made by an automotive supplier

The price for the Big-Tex 16ET, which has a 16,000GVW is: $13,684.00. Anyone see anything wrong with that? If not, maybe you need to be elsewhere, you're on the wrong web site!

More to come but the Kaufman trailer weighs 3,350 lbs, which leaves a net capacity of 13,650 lbs.

They require that you pay 10% when ordering, then the balance when you pick it up

This trailer will take 8 weeks to be built. According to Sandra over at Kaufman, they are building right at 1000 trailers a month, and I am simply placed in Queue.

Once built, I will have to pick it up at the factory which is located in Lexington, N.C. which I think will make for a nice two day trip for Kat and I.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 04:58:01 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New Kaufman trailer
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 04:46:05 PM »
Requires you to first sign all the docs

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 08:11:53 PM »
Can’t wait for your first time loading that skiddi and the axle on your truck lifts 4 feet off the ground!!

You had better be on the level ground!! So you don’t roll away!

Ask how I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 10:36:58 PM »
Can’t wait for your first time loading that skiddi and the axle on your truck lifts 4 feet off the ground!!

Ask how I know

The ramps have vertical supports under them per the picture. Truck shouldn’t lift off the ground.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 11:31:07 PM »

Ask how I know

The ramps have vertical supports under them per the picture. Truck shouldn’t lift off the ground.
That’s a whole lot of zoomin in

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 09:09:34 AM »

Ask how I know

Shawn's correct. Ramps have down legs and when you specify a skidsteer, they make the ramps from 4" channel. The ramps get so heavy that they put a beefed spring on them to help in folding them back up.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 09:22:21 AM »
You will be very surprised how much wind those ramps catch running down the highway. Well, in your part of the country shouldn't be too much of an issue. Kentucky road maps read like a bowl of spaghetti.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2022, 09:54:18 AM »
You will be very surprised how much wind those ramps catch running down the highway. Well, in your part of the country shouldn't be too much of an issue. Kentucky road maps read like a bowl of spaghetti.
Yes they do!

That's why when we lift our trucks we still need to build in a road racing suspension!

A lot of the drive to my farm, (and I measured this) much of the drive your steering wheel will remain motionless less than two seconds!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 01:28:48 PM »

Ask how I know

No zooming here, I saw that on my phone even….. maybe you need eyes checked?

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2022, 04:59:24 PM »
I was on my phone as well.  But defiantly didn’t click on it to open it.

Our flat trailers have had versions of the out riggers or drop legs and all them have failed and bent

Those ramps with the legs on it does looks more sturdy for sure

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2022, 05:05:22 PM »

Our flat trailers have had versions of the out riggers or drop legs and all them have failed and bent

Well, we'll all see in a few months after I've had a chance to first pick it up, then on/off load a number of times.

Dave, what sort of tie downs should I be looking at to tie down that machine to this trailer?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2022, 05:45:56 PM »

Dave, don’t sweat it too much. Just wanted to make sure you don’t end up like Ken. Obviously has sight issues……  :tongue:

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2022, 06:03:14 PM »

Well, we'll all see in a few months after I've had a chance to first pick it up, then on/off load a number of times.

Dave, what sort of tie downs should I be looking at to tie down that machine to this trailer?
3/8th or 1/2 inch chain 20’ long and ratchet binders!!  Two for the skidd and two for any attachments and a spare.

https://www.myteeproducts.com/peerless-folding-handle-quikbinder-plus-ratchet-binder.html

Just a fast search but these are my favorite style

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2022, 06:34:46 PM »
I like those for sure.

Now you recommended two, but wouldn't I need four?

I could go up and around things and see where two would hole everything securely in place, especially with the way the tracks lock and the attachment is going to lock down on something

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2022, 07:51:57 PM »
There should be two holes on the back of the skid

Trailer> through hole on back> through second hole> down to other side of trailer. One binder on that chain

You can chain the front lots of ways.

On Deere we have holes in the bucket arms up about shoulder height. I hook skiddi, down the trailer d ring, back up and over the skid bucket being careful of rams, down to D ring and back up to skiddi arm.
Again only one binder on that chain also.
I’ll send photos when I load one next

Two chains will hold a skidd and will pass DOT as needed.
Four chains on one piece is excessive for the size

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2022, 07:55:48 PM »
Dave, are the snap binders legal in Utah? I had heard they’re illegal here but it’s all I own and I only run them occasionally and yes I have a cautious respect for them but have used them all my life with no issue.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 07:57:37 PM by stlaser »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2022, 08:34:06 PM »
Everything I've read, heard, and watched say 4 corners plus attachment. .. that's 4 separate chains as well. One chain can be used twice but it has to be done as if it was 2 separate ones.
Now, in the tuck who knows. (Or Utah)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2022, 09:26:16 PM »
Dave, are the snap binders legal in Utah? I had heard they’re illegal here but it’s all I own and I only run them occasionally and yes I have a cautious respect for them but have used them all my life with no issue.
Iv never heard one way or there here in Utah but my experience with the ratchet type is smooth and simple enough I’d use them  over the snap binders for the simplicity of it.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2022, 09:40:19 PM »
I’ve heard the ratchet type can come loose, never had a snap do that unless someone didn’t wrap the excess chain around the handle which I always do then tuck it into itself almost like a slip knot.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
New Kaufman trailer
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2022, 09:40:33 PM »
I run Port any given day two times at least,  with the 350 series or D8 there are many variations and ways to do it
You can attache a binder directly to the deck, directly to a foot step if need be, the track of equipment, if you can do it with one long chain and attach the equipment securely it will pass.
Your chains need to be rated for 50% of the equipment weight 10k skid = 5k worth of chain binders.
I also understand it needs attachment points not chains.

I have yet to have any of my DOT walk arounds give me any citations for anything but a loose binder.

The gov says this

« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 10:00:04 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2022, 12:02:19 AM »
Will the burb or any of the trucks you have in your fleet fit on a 20' trailer?  If you can still do it, you may want to extend that trailer to 24' so you will be able to service future needs?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2022, 01:25:01 AM »
I’ve heard the ratchet type can come loose, never had a snap do that unless someone didn’t wrap the excess chain around the handle which I always do then tuck it into itself almost like a slip knot.
That’s my one infraction, I had a long chain over a boom and it managed to swing as I went down the interstate.   Experience has taught me to run the binder next to the deck so it has less swing, and the ratchet I always set up against a surface so it can swing.   

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2022, 09:21:46 AM »
Everything I've read, heard, and watched say 4 corners plus attachment. .. that's 4 separate chains as well. One chain can be used twice but it has to be done as if it was 2 separate ones.
Now, in the tuck who knows. (Or Utah)
We don't trailer em'

In the Tuck, a skid steer constitutes a family sedan as long as one places the family on lawn chairs in the bucket!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 09:22:26 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2022, 09:27:56 AM »
Will the burb or any of the trucks you have in your fleet fit on a 20' trailer?  If you can still do it, you may want to extend that trailer to 24' so you will be able to service future needs?
20 is all I need Nate
a 24 bumper pull would be all but impossible to back into anything.
Plus the added four feet just adds weight that subtracts from he load I can carry.
My D-Max is essentially the same as a 3500. and remember, I have 4.56 gears which should be about the same as 4.10's with stock tires.
I have three nice tow tunes, "E" range tires, and a good hitch, rear sway bar and 5,000 air springs. It tows well. Local guys and some on the Kubota skid steer forum say they tow those machines all day long with a 2500 duramax.
I should be fine for 50 mile or less pulls
(Pulls that will yield $1000 a day!)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2022, 09:56:36 AM »
20 is all I need Nate
Plus the added four feet just adds weight that subtracts from he load I can carry.
My D-Max is essentially the same as a 3500. and remember, I have 4.56 gears which should be about the same as 4.10's with stock tires.
I have three nice tow tunes, "E" range tires, and a good hitch, rear sway bar and 5,000 air springs. It tows well. Local guys and some on the Kubota skid steer forum say they tow those machines all day long with a 2500 duramax.

Oh i have no doubt that the dmax will not break a sweat pulling it.  I was just offering the recommendation of a bit longer trailer incase you had to tow one of the other trucks you own as an alternative.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 09:57:29 AM by Nate »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2022, 10:04:01 AM »
Nate I think they just leave the dead vehicle in a field down there and let the parts return to the land, instead of towing it back to be repaired

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2022, 10:12:43 AM »
20 is all I need Nate

Oh i have no doubt that the dmax will not break a sweat pulling it.  I was just offering the recommendation of a bit longer trailer incase you had to tow one of the other trucks you own as an alternative.
I see...

It should handle the Suburban, don't you think?

I know we will tow Kathy's Honda Talon in the spring down to the Daniel Boone Nat'l Forest for a weekend of mudding around and the Pre-Ranger now owns an Infinity jap kar...

But, I trust your judgment, so I'll give everything a good measure again just to make sure ;-))
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 10:13:31 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2022, 10:23:06 AM »
I went with 24. I can have my tractor with FEL down and 7 ft bush hog on it and the wheel doesn't hang off past the ramp legs
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2022, 10:25:31 AM »
Also got removable fenders so if needed, I can go about4 inches wider load. It costs150 when I ordered it.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2022, 02:05:12 PM »
Also got removable fenders so if needed, I can go about4 inches wider load. It costs150 when I ordered it.
So you bought a Kaufman?

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2022, 05:01:32 PM »
A 2500 CCSB will fit on 16 feet of deck.
I know for certain.
Did it.
On 20 feet you’ll be able to adjust tongue weight.

Should be good IMO.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 10:04:36 PM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2022, 06:39:36 PM »
No. I had mine built local.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2022, 06:41:52 PM »
A 2500 CCLB will fit on 16 feet of deck.
I know for certain.
Did it.

Should be good IMO.

Rog

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2022, 06:42:03 PM »

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2022, 10:05:40 PM »
A 2500 CCSB will fit on 16 feet of deck.
I know for certain.
Did it.

Should be good IMO.

Rog
Corrected the truck to short box not long.
But it fit on 16 so still applies.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2022, 05:41:26 PM »
Just got a call. The trailer is built and ready for pickup!

Man, that was fast! A lot faster than they originally said. ordered 28 Jan, ready for delivery on 1 Mar, 27 days (4 weeks) early.

Not bad Kaufman!

32 days flash to bang on this one.

May have to see about a GN 20K version

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2022, 08:49:04 AM »
Are you picking it up this weekend

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2022, 09:48:54 AM »
Are you picking it up this weekend

Not this weekend, but soon

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2022, 10:35:59 AM »
I drove all the way to a point way out in the country near Lexington, North Carolina to the Kaufman factory to pick up my new trailer.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2022, 10:38:46 AM »
There I finally met Miss Sandra and a gentleman who wanted to be called "Taco" (I think)???

They were both very nice and delivered and hooked up the new trailer in about 20 minutes. Taco found a blown fuse for the left signal flasher for the trailer circuit. He replaced a fuse, they handed me some paperwork and I was more or less done.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2022, 11:00:21 AM »
The factory down there is huge! I shot some quick pics around the place showing hundreds of finished trailers. Sandra told me every single one of them is sold and awaiting pickup. The lady who issued me the title said they were delivering 20 to 40 a day!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2022, 11:06:41 AM »
And after 9 hours of driving, I arrived intact back in the Kintuckee just in time to see my pear trees blooming. I parked on the street in front of my home.

It pulled pretty well. I did get some light oscillations a time or two and you can definitely tell it is back there. Being a 17K unit it is over built with a lot of steel. I drove it at a variety of speeds from a high of 80 to a normal cruise of 72 all the way down into the 40's. Believe it or not I drove back roads a third of the distance home from Kingsport Tennessee all the way up through the Cumberland pass. Those roads were narrow and up and down some significant grades. I had to go through a couple of tunnels and through some very narrow stretches with barely inches clearance.

Overall the experience was a good one!

Online Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2022, 11:36:29 AM »
Nice looking trailer Don.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2022, 05:15:32 PM »
Congrats Don…..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2022, 06:16:39 PM »
Looks great boss

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2022, 08:05:56 PM »
Looks Ike it’s right time for a oil change aint it?

New deck boards, paint already shows a few miles? Winch? More LED chicken lights,

What else does Don need to add?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2022, 10:45:59 PM »
Looks Ike it’s right time for a oil change aint it?

New deck boards, paint already shows a few miles? Winch? More LED chicken lights,

What else does Don need to add?

Today I added the new disc mulcher head I had purchased a couple months ago. I loaded it and carried it to the farm.

Tomorrow I will add the new engine and transmission for the suburban to it.

I have plans to add a bunch of stuff to it and almost added the fender, doors, and quarter panel of a new Tahoe who tried to cut me off where I was merging due to a lane closure. The fool tried to squeeze past me so I just said to heck with it and just kept on coming over. Not sure if I touched her or not but I ended up in the lane with that Tahoe partway on the shoulder and part way in the grass in the meridian. She took off like a crazed animal and I never saw her again! It was black, so I guess I'll never really know but I was bumping into something sure enough!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2022, 10:55:41 PM »
You could build a rack for that mulcher to store it vertical maybe?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2022, 11:06:51 PM »
You could build a rack for that mulcher to store it vertical maybe?

Absolutely not!
It weighs 2500 lbs. If it came loose think how many mice might die!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2022, 11:57:05 PM »
Comes loose?  That’s no different then a bucket

I hauled three back today

One on the boom, one inside that bucket, one tucked under its butt. Didn’t chain any of them

I’m sure you could build a rack that hold it vertical in the front of trailer, 2x2 square tube, 1/4 think and set it in the rack and chain it in lol

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal