Hello Guest

Author Topic: How do you tell time?  (Read 15119 times)

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: How do you tell time?
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2019, 08:39:46 PM »
First watch since high school. Not as fancy as what you guys are posting, but I liked the look, and our JCPENNEY is closing and everything was discounted. (Went there to buy a suit for my daughter's wedding next week)

Fossil Machine w/silicone strap.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2019, 08:32:58 AM »
Looks good Ken. I like the band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2019, 09:40:05 AM »
As long as it tells time then it works. I'm not looking forward to getting an actual dressier type watch. Gotta save up for one of those.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2019, 04:38:58 PM »
Agree Bobby. They had some nice dress ones I was looking at, but at 3 times the cost. This one was 105 after discount. I think it's good enough to wear at the wedding tho... maybe

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2019, 06:09:24 AM »
Agree Bobby. They had some nice dress ones I was looking at, but at 3 times the cost. This one was 105 after discount. I think it's good enough to wear at the wedding tho... maybe

Yea it'll do the wedding thing. I only have beater watches mostly, 2 GShocks my Suunto and the Seiko SKX. I don't own a watch I'd wear to a wedding or something requiring a little more effort in appearance.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2020, 12:03:00 PM »
Picked up a Garmin Vivoactive hr (heavily discounted as it’s been discontinued) for a little over $100 today. Wife and I have both now recently purchased heart monitoring watches and this one is gps enabled for our hikes. It syncs to my phone and will track activity such as biking, running etc. Including heart monitoring which was main goal for purchase. I haven’t wore a watch in almost twenty five years. In fact I don’t wear any jewelry or tattoos etc. just not my thing and never has been really.

What prompted this is the wife is on health kick (which I’m glad, it’s easier if we’re both in same page pushing each other). There is talk of running 5 & 10k’s so we’ll see.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2020, 10:09:46 PM »
Picked up a Garmin Vivoactive hr (heavily discounted as it’s been discontinued) for a little over $100 today. Wife and I have both now recently purchased heart monitoring watches and this one is gps enabled for our hikes. It syncs to my phone and will track activity such as biking, running etc. Including heart monitoring which was main goal for purchase. I haven’t wore a watch in almost twenty five years. In fact I don’t wear any jewelry or tattoos etc. just not my thing and never has been really.

What prompted this is the wife is on health kick (which I’m glad, it’s easier if we’re both in same page pushing each other). There is talk of running 5 & 10k’s so we’ll see.

Well after being cajoled by some Army buddies who own fitness watches, I broke down and bought one about 3 months ago. Dropped more than I would normally spend but it is highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Ultimate-Multisport-Smartwatch-Monitoring/dp/B07D9B9DJM/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=garmin+fenix+5x+plus&qid=1596939027&s=gps&sr=1-2

I can't say I've used it for much weight loss / fitness activities yet. However I have used the GPS tracking and maps when I was up north with the girlfriend and her friends.I own multiple watches and the hard part for me is deciding which one to wear, but I try to wear the Fenix more than the others. I'll try to add some photos at some point, clearly from experience I tend to not take photos too often. Unlike you Shawn, I'm always wearing a watch, it annoys me when I can't wear one. I'm hoping to start some 5Ks and other stuff like that soon, maybe snowshoeing this winter. It is helpful that my girlfriend likes the outdoors.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 10:15:23 PM by BobbyB »

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2020, 11:05:56 PM »
That’s the watch my boss uses, he runs marathons, does triathlon and has done one Ironman race so far. He loves the watch for its functionality when he is training, it recognizes when he changes stages from swim to run to bike and tracks them all.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2020, 12:03:02 AM »
That’s the watch my boss uses, he runs marathons, does triathlon and has done one Ironman race so far. He loves the watch for its functionality when he is training, it recognizes when he changes stages from swim to run to bike and tracks them all.

An Army buddy of mine who is in the Guinness Book of World Records is the one who convinced me. He does Ironmans and all sorts of stuff like that. I want to start using it to get back in shape, well better shape.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2020, 12:03:12 AM »

Well after being cajoled by some Army buddies who own fitness watches, I broke down and bought one about 3 months ago. Dropped more than I would normally spend but it is highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Ultimate-Multisport-Smartwatch-Monitoring/dp/B07D9B9DJM/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=garmin+fenix+5x+plus&qid=1596939027&s=gps&sr=1-2

I can't say I've used it for much weight loss / fitness activities yet. However I have used the GPS tracking and maps when I was up north with the girlfriend and her friends.I own multiple watches and the hard part for me is deciding which one to wear, but I try to wear the Fenix more than the others. I'll try to add some photos at some point, clearly from experience I tend to not take photos too often. Unlike you Shawn, I'm always wearing a watch, it annoys me when I can't wear one. I'm hoping to start some 5Ks and other stuff like that soon, maybe snowshoeing this winter. It is helpful that my girlfriend likes the outdoors.

My hands and arms getting pretty dirty on the job, not so much an issue in colder months with sleeves. However, that’s part of reason I don’t wear stuff. I went away from it in steel shop between moving equipment it could get snagged on and coolant from machining centers etc.

We’ve discussed investing in snow shoes last two years and we’re doing it this year no fail. I’m also running an app I really like called AllTrails

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2020, 12:13:15 AM »

My hands and arms getting pretty dirty on the job, not so much an issue in colder months with sleeves. However, that’s part of reason I don’t wear stuff. I went away from it in steel shop between moving equipment it could get snagged on and coolant from machining centers etc.

We’ve discussed investing in snow shoes last two years and we’re doing it this year no fail. I’m also running an app I really like called AllTrails

I'm still planning on coming out to run the Incline, possibly December I may be out there for a HazMat Instructor refresher, so no Incline then but maybe take a couple days and explore.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2020, 07:56:00 AM »
The incline

Bobby, it’s currently shut down due to our governors declarations. My BIL and SIL who adventure race were out for Baylee’s graduation and wanted to do it but couldn’t. It was interesting to see how the altitude affected them though who run 50 miles races pretty often in the Midwest. We only live at around 5300’ too.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2020, 11:00:46 AM »
The incline

Bobby, it’s currently shut down due to our governors declarations. My BIL and SIL who adventure race were out for Baylee’s graduation and wanted to do it but couldn’t. It was interesting to see how the altitude affected them though who run 50 miles races pretty often in the Midwest. We only live at around 5300’ too.

Altitude knocks you down a peg or two, until you acclimate. However once you get good at running at altitude, you go back to lower altitudes, your run times will decrease and you won't feel winded.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2020, 11:13:54 AM »
The incline

Altitude knocks you down a peg or two, until you acclimate. However once you get good at running at altitude, you go back to lower altitudes, your run times will decrease and you won't feel winded.

Right, well if you get out this way and hsve time hit me up I’ll join you on the incline  :beercheers:

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2020, 07:56:22 PM »
Right, well if you get out this way and hsve time hit me up I’ll join you on the incline  :beercheers:

Hoping to get an answer if my Company will even allow the travel, so we'll see.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2020, 09:01:41 PM »

Hoping to get an answer if my Company will even allow the travel, so we'll see.

:likebutton:

I’m really liking this watch btw, still getting used to having it on my wrist but the capabilities are really cool

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2020, 10:33:13 PM »

:likebutton:

I’m really liking this watch btw, still getting used to having it on my wrist but the capabilities are really cool

Does that watch use Garmin Connect?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2020, 11:00:28 PM »
Yes, so I’ve had it for a couple weeks now. Best money I’ve spent in awhile, scary the amount of data (cardio mainly) it can compile 

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2020, 08:49:28 AM »
Yes, so I’ve had it for a couple weeks now. Best money I’ve spent in awhile, scary the amount of data (cardio mainly) it can compile

Yea mine does that too. Right now I'm charging it.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2021, 08:30:09 PM »
Resurrecting this thread.

Found my old watch while cleaning the closet.

Need to stick a battery in it.

Also misplaced my old g shock so I’ll be in the market for another. No other watch has taken abuse like the g shock.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2021, 08:34:44 PM »
Take a look at one of these.

You can replace the battery yourself, the bands last quite a while, and if you have to replace one they are pretty cheap.

I used to swear by G-Shock, but after getting one of these, G-Shock dose not even compare.

https://www.suunto.com/en-us/Products/Sports-Watches/Suunto-Core/Suunto-Core-All-Black/
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2021, 08:35:13 PM »
Worth noting I’m on my second garmin watch now. While welding overhead the mezzanine in the new shop so weld spatter dropped onto screen protector on the watch. It cracked only the screen protector but I think it shorted something out in bottom half of face of watch. So after a 15 minute online chat with a garmin tech they sent me a label. I boxed it up and two weeks later maybe I had a refurbished unit again. Going strong currently. Great customer service!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2021, 09:07:39 PM »
Nate I think (?) my g shock was solar powered and never needed a battery.

I also ordered this kit today.

So I can hopefully change batteries and adjust bands.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2021, 09:47:13 PM »
I would have a hard time spending that much on myself. I really only wear one on campouts so I just got an el cheapo from wally world.

However, I would like to find a decent quality wind up pocket watch.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2021, 12:03:35 AM »

Wife and I both run Fenix 5.. mine is the 5x sapphire hers is the 5s because she is tiny and it has the smallest face. Worth every penny, especially if you run, ride, swim, paddle, or any other number of things, golf for some of you.

Second set of garmin a for her and I, we ran the forerunner 645 for 5 years or better. So opted to stay with Garmin.

As for customer service, like Shawn said, it’s great. Garmin had a booth at a race expo we were at, talked to them about watches, and if they had watch bands. Lady at the table said let me see, dug through a watch band box and changed it out for us. No charge, instant service! Was super happy.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2021, 07:53:17 AM »
Yup, the data a garmin collects is crazy. I row and bike currently (was running but hip didn’t care for that after several months) and it tracks me well from gps to elevation and heart data. They also sync up with other apps like Strava automatically. So it’s an all inclusive watch that goes well beyond telling time. Downside is the bands are fairly disposable but it’s an inexpensive replacement or free in T’s case apparently

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2021, 09:41:30 AM »
Take a look at one of these.

You can replace the battery yourself, the bands last quite a while, and if you have to replace one they are pretty cheap.

I used to swear by G-Shock, but after getting one of these, G-Shock dose not even compare.

https://www.suunto.com/en-us/Products/Sports-Watches/Suunto-Core/Suunto-Core-All-Black/

Great watch! I wore the earlier version for years. I've now been wearing their Traverse Alpha GPS watch for 6 years. Despite some rough field wear and a deployment, it looks brand new and still has fantastic battery life.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2021, 10:33:41 AM »
I would have a hard time spending that much on myself. I really only wear one on campouts so I just got an el cheapo from wally world.

However, I would like to find a decent quality wind up pocket watch.

I didn’t see Charles mention his “ other watch” maybe we will see a photo of that here

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2021, 11:53:33 AM »
Quiet,Dave.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2021, 01:38:47 PM »
Quiet,Dave.

Lol you’ll have to bribe my silence I think

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2021, 05:30:23 PM »
Quiet,Dave.

Did you get the same whiskey pic I did, from Charles ?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2021, 06:27:06 PM »
Yeah Ken I had a little more color back then…

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2021, 07:15:43 PM »
Quiet,Dave.

I didn’t get that one

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2021, 07:57:31 PM »
Quiet,Dave.

I didn’t get that one

Ahh the 90s. So many fun times and things I can't remember.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2021, 09:52:52 PM »
Yep. The 90s were fun. Everyone seemed to get along pretty good if I recall.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2021, 10:31:35 PM »
Well except for the whole LA Riot thing

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2021, 06:56:38 PM »
I love my Garmin Fenix 5x Plus. But I have other watches I rotate out on wearing, for Christmas the girlfriend and her son bought me a watch box to keep them in along with my memorial bracelets. Looks nice, I used to just have them sitting out on top of a bookcase out of the way, but still where I can see the bracelets and reach the watches when I wanted to swap them out.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2021, 07:49:54 PM »
I love my Garmin Fenix 5x Plus. But I have other watches I rotate out on wearing, for Christmas the girlfriend and her son bought me a watch box to keep them in along with my memorial bracelets. Looks nice, I used to just have them sitting out on top of a bookcase out of the way, but still where I can see the bracelets and reach the watches when I wanted to swap them out.

Thats awesome bobby, wendy got me something very similar.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2021, 06:37:37 PM »
Very cool Bobby.  I have a 5 slot case with a glass top but need to get a bigger one.  I have 5 now and will likely add another watch or two in the next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2021, 07:52:46 PM »
Very cool Bobby.  I have a 5 slot case with a glass top but need to get a bigger one.  I have 5 now and will likely add another watch or two in the next year.

Mine is technically a 12 slot, but a have a photo booth type photo taking up a couple slots and the bracelets take up the lower section and the watches the upper. Makes it a bit more organized.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2021, 09:02:07 PM »
Heres the one wendy got me

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2023, 07:13:25 AM »
After almost 3 years my Walmart cheapo watch broke. I'm in the market for a smart watch but I want to stay under $200.

It's been a year and a half since ce the last comment in this thread. As fast as technology changes I thought someone here could steer me in the right direction.  There are literally dozens of watch companies on the net claiming to be the best but most reviews say otherwise. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2023, 07:27:49 AM »
Since posted last, I found my G Shock. I’m a huge fan.  Probably a 10 year old watch by now and been through a lot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal