Hello Guest

Author Topic: SquareD Part 7 Start it up!  (Read 260986 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SquareD Part 7 Start it up!
« Reply #200 on: October 08, 2015, 08:23:24 PM »
The pump or injectors are just putting out way too much fuel. After maybe 5 minutes of running, OK at idle, but missing like Obamas real identity while reving. Now it does rev up a bunch now, and it wouldn't do that before, so I am moving in the right direction.

Under the exhaust pipe everywhere there is a junction, I got little burned black puddles of fuel
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 08, 2015, 08:24:19 PM »
I started in getting hateful thoughts about what I could do to it with that axe, so I spared it and likely me and walked off

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 08, 2015, 08:25:13 PM »
On another note, I attempted to antique my front door. Can't decide if it looks OK or is an abortion???

Watcha think?

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 08, 2015, 08:30:16 PM »
Reminds me of a Differential cover I saw once.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 08, 2015, 08:39:25 PM »
popcorn
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 08, 2015, 11:12:35 PM »
Reminds me of a Differential cover I saw once.

Ouch!!! (but I have to agree)

....you wouldn't want us to candy coat it would ya?
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 08, 2015, 11:47:14 PM »
Not a fan given the architecture of your home. Seems out of place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 09, 2015, 01:22:05 AM »
What can I say but I agree, repaint the door.

I was actually looking at that upper fitting before you put it on and not surprised at the outcome.

I think you should check the timing and the fuel plate.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline ceelibs

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 09, 2015, 06:21:16 AM »
The pump or injectors are just putting out way too much fuel. After maybe 5 minutes of running, OK at idle, but missing like Obamas real identity while reving. Now it does rev up a bunch now, and it wouldn't do that before, so I am moving in the right direction.

Under the exhaust pipe everywhere there is a junction, I got little burned black puddles of fuel

what color is the smoke, black or white/gray? a video  would help but it sounds like either the pump timing is retarded or your sucking air in the fuel feed to the inj pump.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 09, 2015, 09:46:57 AM »

what color is the smoke, black or white/gray? a video  would help but it sounds like either the pump timing is retarded or your sucking air in the fuel feed to the inj pump.
Smoke is white...it's fuel. Bit of wet black in the tailpipe, but it's unburned fuel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 09, 2015, 09:48:10 AM »
Door: Repaint

Copy.

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 09, 2015, 02:29:28 PM »
I agree, I see what you were trying to do, but unfortunately the door looks like it was something my wife found on pinterest that was done by one of the under talented, egocentric millennials.

Offline ceelibs

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 09, 2015, 06:06:25 PM »

Smoke is white...it's fuel. Bit of wet black in the tailpipe, but it's unburned fuel.

I'd start by getting a jug of clean diesel and placing the feed line for the lift pump in it (effectively bypassing the rest of the fuel system) and see if the problem improves/goes away. If it goes away you have a supply/air leak problem between the tank and lift pump. If it's the same I'd start by checking the pump timing but delivery valves can also cause white smoke/popping.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 09, 2015, 06:38:59 PM »

I'd start by getting a jug of clean diesel and placing the feed line for the lift pump in it (effectively bypassing the rest of the fuel system) and see if the problem improves/goes away. If it goes away you have a supply/air leak problem between the tank and lift pump. If it's the same I'd start by checking the pump timing but delivery valves can also cause white smoke/popping.
Talk to me about these delivery valves
I purchased this engine which was rebuilt by another for his nephew. The builder is a Cat diesel mechanic who knows this engine. He said the delivery valves are laser cut and it has a #5 fuel delivery plate. That may sound good, but introduces the likelihood of errors.

With my knowing a bit more than a novice about the 6BT, I'm guessing he has the pump timing off since it is popping on acceleration and idles like a stocker, although it puts out white smoke even at idle. So either/or, too much fuel, or it's being introduced at the wrong time (Timing)

I'll go off and hunt down delivery valve info.

I feel I am very close to solving this mystery!

Offline ceelibs

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 09, 2015, 06:55:50 PM »

Talk to me about these delivery valves
I purchased this engine which was rebuilt by another for his nephew. The builder is a Cat diesel mechanic who knows this engine. He said the delivery valves are laser cut and it has a #5 fuel delivery plate. That may sound good, but introduces the likelihood of errors.

With my knowing a bit more than a novice about the 6BT, I'm guessing he has the pump timing off since it is popping on acceleration and idles like a stocker, although it puts out white smoke even at idle. So either/or, too much fuel, or it's being introduced at the wrong time (Timing)

I'll go off and hunt down delivery valve info.

I feel I am very close to solving this mystery!

I'm no p-pump expert by any means as all of my Cummins experience has been with my own truck which is still ve pumped. That said I do know that modifying (laser cutting) the delivery valves is a way to improve fuel delivery in a p-pump, I also know that unlike a ve pump, when you mess with del valves on a p-pump the pump should be bench calibrated to set the fuel delivery of all the valves so they are equal, IOW the del valves on a p-pump are adjustable where on a ve pump they are not.
I'd still start with the simple stuff like verifying that the fuel,supply is air free and the timing is set properly (p-pumps like around 16-17 degree's as a good starting point from what I've read).

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 15, 2015, 09:46:21 PM »
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5249069737.html

I found your next project Don....

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 15, 2015, 09:59:18 PM »

I found your next project Don....

Good lord, what the...
I mean is that for real? But I can see it with a 6BT 4 x 4 and sporting OD!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 15, 2015, 10:14:33 PM »
yup. real.  And it has 5 TVs inside!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 15, 2015, 10:22:40 PM »
That's about as bad as having a truck that's so tall you can't reach the bed to....well....use it as a truck. :)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 15, 2015, 10:33:28 PM »
yup, and I'm pretty sure that cutlass has higher ground clearance....

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 15, 2015, 11:25:59 PM »
Rollin 32's with 36" rubber.
I'd bet the ground clearance is better.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 16, 2015, 02:00:08 AM »
Anyone have an RPG or LAW laying around?

Wait, now that SD runs, just run over it  8)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 16, 2015, 09:17:29 AM »
now that SD runs

It starts, but still hasn't moved under it's own power...  ;D
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 16, 2015, 11:27:53 AM »
Bobby's right
Not really running though
I need a professional to go through the timing, Pump, injectors...everything to sort it out. I'll learn as we go, but that is probably the right way to attack this.
Funds not allowing that at the moment so we wait!

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 16, 2015, 12:13:50 PM »
I need a professional to go through the timing, Pump, injectors...everything to sort it out. I'll learn as we go, but that is probably the right way to attack this.

No way to get the guy who built it to do that? (I know it was built by a Cat mechanic but dunno if he's local, provided any guarantees, etc. )

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 16, 2015, 02:14:34 PM »

No way to get the guy who built it to do that? (I know it was built by a Cat mechanic but dunno if he's local, provided any guarantees, etc. )
I doubt I could find him
Craigslist find, lived in another state, and I didn't keep his number...

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 16, 2015, 04:30:48 PM »
look at your online phone bill around the time that you got it and ill bet you can figure out which one was his number....
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 16, 2015, 04:46:57 PM »
So let's get this straight: You bought a "fresh" engine off of Craigslist....in another state....and don't have the guys name, nor his number.

I thought pilots were supposed to be the smart ones!   you are awarded 3 demerits.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 16, 2015, 05:16:15 PM »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 17, 2015, 07:59:59 AM »
popcorn

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 17, 2015, 12:26:24 PM »
Well, it rolled out more like this:

I find a C-list add for a built 6 BT

I make contact

I find out it is not complete, in fact it has just been torn down to the block

We stay in contact while the parts and pics shuttle back and forth.

Eventually it is complete, he delivers it, and I fork over the cash.

Then thirty two years later I finally start it up and it smokes

I make contact with the builder's son who is now 47 or something like that. He explains his dad moved away during the Clinton era and has never been heard from again.

I had the number stored on my old rotary dial phone which is now in the Ohio frontier settlers museum in a sealed vault.

His son can't remember who I am or anything about any engine and is actually now a Buddhist monk and a vegan, neither of which help my cause.

Records of that engine build were expunged during his conversion to Buddhism in a ceremonial fire

So now that you know the REAL story, you can see where it is better if I just get some performance diesel shop to sort it out
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 12:29:25 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 17, 2015, 12:55:02 PM »
Hahahaha.

Well, that explains everything. Demerits revolked. One brownie point awarded.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 19, 2015, 11:40:38 AM »
I'd say for the level of snark in the response he should receive one bitter beer rather than a delicious brownie. carry on.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 19, 2015, 03:40:27 PM »
Dear Don-

please send photo's of the removal of said motor and transport to the Performance Shop, or just idle it there in 1st gear and charge your municipality for mosquito abatement!  We are eagerly awaiting the reports of smashed KIA's and torn-up mulch beds!

The Peanut Gallery
(DOT's R' Us) ::)
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 19, 2015, 07:30:52 PM »
I'm heavily involved in something else at the moment...and I got hit by a bunch of money eatin' stuff. So I have to lay back on the big bills for a spell

Might try to time it myself...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 23, 2015, 08:35:02 PM »
Managed to scratch out some time on SquareD today

I haven't messed with the engine thing yet, since I haven't found the right guy to turn a wrench on it.

But while that is waiting I want to continue hanging things and working off the punch-out list before I get into the slider project and swapping out the rear suspension

So today I got the aux tank painted

First up was a good cleaning with solvent

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 23, 2015, 08:35:46 PM »
Followed by a medium coat of acid etching primer

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 23, 2015, 08:36:43 PM »
Then I laid down three coats of acrylic enamel with a hardener agent

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 23, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
It all set up pretty quickly, and by 7PM, having painted it around 1400, it was cured enough to untape it

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 23, 2015, 08:39:56 PM »
That turned out great with the exception of a couple of runs. But, hey, if it didn't have a run, I couldn't claim it as my work!

SquareD and it's newest brother wait patiently for the next wrench flogging

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #240 on: October 23, 2015, 08:55:10 PM »
Looks good!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 23, 2015, 09:39:15 PM »
good to see you aren't slacking....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 23, 2015, 09:42:06 PM »
good to see you aren't slacking....
Def not slackin'

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 24, 2015, 12:13:58 PM »
i see that the smoker you have in the corner there is completely ruined!  you may have to do a resto thread on that in the mean time........;D

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 24, 2015, 12:36:23 PM »
i see that the smoker you have in the corner there is completely ruined!  you may have to do a resto thread on that in the mean time........;D
Completely ruined!

Has several layers of dust on it and even some spider webs...totally unusable

Ash gave me that!

Guess, now that you mention it, time to clean it up so I can smoke some squirrels!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 24, 2015, 07:04:20 PM »
I would say that its time to try some of nate's smoker recipes
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 09:50:13 AM by nmeyer414 »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 24, 2015, 08:57:42 PM »
Tank looks good. Wheres the fender on the DR??

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 24, 2015, 10:22:19 PM »
Its there look closely

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 24, 2015, 10:27:05 PM »
Its there look closely

Yup, nice camo shot!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 27, 2015, 01:11:05 AM »
Your trash company must love you using the cans as painting tables. At least you'll know which cans are yours if they ever walk away from the end of your driveway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal