Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1346463 times)

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #4050 on: July 26, 2017, 07:54:44 AM »
Hope that wasn't your thigh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!! The 5.3 is solid and gets good mileage, but 4 doors are great. If you find a 8.1 go for it. About the same mileage as the 6.0 but way more power. Of course, there is always a trailer, best of both worlds.

Nice job TRN, I need to badly (land)

Kids and wife are at a bible camp until Sat, I went to Reno. Cabelas, Scheels, Summit Racing, 4WheelParts and played a few 1 arms (broke even)

Bought a new Viper for the 300aac Ruger, Kayak for the kids, and some 22. First time in years someone wasn't calling every 15min to see where I am, was great! Lasted until the trip home, then got a call. But I'm good until Sat as stated.

Mom goes in for another procedure in the AM. Cleaning the arteries they couldn't get done the first time.

If shes OK, going fishing Friday all alone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Not my thigh thankfully. If it was I probably would've had pictures. I'll keep my eye open for an 8.1. What I'd like is a low mileage LML with all the luxury options. What I'm willing to pay for however is an average mileage LLY/LBZ with cloth. I have a trailer but was 30 minutes from home when my wife asked me to drive down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: July 26, 2017, 08:09:26 AM »

Continued the search for a 4 door truck for our expanding family. Almost pulled the trigger on a half ton GMC with the 5.3 but am really struggling with the thought of not having a HD truck available to me. Yesterday I had 1,800lbs of hardwood flooring in the back of my LB7. I couldn't have done that in a 1500.

I sold my LMM February and got into a F150.  I am currently looking for a 2500 with a 6.0.  Drove one Monday and have 3 of them I plan to check out tonight.  Mostly I don't like the Ford but there have been a few occasions now where a 2500 would have been nice.  I test drove a 2015 1500 Silverado last night also.  If none of these 2500 work out I will probably start looking at a 2014+.  I need the crew cab but also want the 6.5' bed.  Found out last night that GM has stop sale on the 2014s.  They were all pulled off the lots.  Should be back out in a few weeks I was told.
I'm the same way on the 6.5' bed. By the time I add a toolbox there's not much space left in a 5.5' bed.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: July 26, 2017, 10:27:41 AM »
Bot sure why they even went with a 5.5 bed, only truck they made it for. I had a 1500hd, those had the 6.5 bed. But mileage and power sucked.

I would go cloth if I did it again.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: July 26, 2017, 11:06:05 AM »
I like my 5.5 bed, put a diamond back cover on it & am happy. I typically pull trailer when I need to use it for a work purpose & I don't carry much in way of tools other than a bag secured in bed on one side.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: July 26, 2017, 11:24:31 AM »
Bot sure why they even went with a 5.5 bed, only truck they made it for. I had a 1500hd, those had the 6.5 bed. But mileage and power sucked.

Grocery getters JR. I hear they're popular in Colorado.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: July 26, 2017, 01:02:42 PM »
Not sure why they even went with a 5.5 bed, only truck they made it for. I had a 1500hd, those had the 6.5 bed. But mileage and power sucked.

Ha ha!
I can't imagine the toy bed.
I'm still kicking my butt or not having time to factory order an 8 footer.
Just timing back in 06, or else I'd have the long box.
Now for a grocery getter,my he stumpier wheelbase would make getting around the malls easier I suppose.

Got the water system up and running at the cabin.
Doing a hot water tank heat time as I type.
12.2 amps, they say 10 mins recovery, I'll know soon.
And still too weak of signal, so I guess it didn't happen yet...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: July 26, 2017, 02:23:29 PM »

They are in fact, the 4x4 long bed crew cab dually really doesn't fit in suburbia.....

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: July 26, 2017, 02:55:18 PM »

Continued the search for a 4 door truck for our expanding family. Almost pulled the trigger on a half ton GMC with the 5.3 but am really struggling with the thought of not having a HD truck available to me. Yesterday I had 1,800lbs of hardwood flooring in the back of my LB7. I couldn't have done that in a 1500.

I sold my LMM February and got into a F150.  I am currently looking for a 2500 with a 6.0.  Drove one Monday and have 3 of them I plan to check out tonight.  Mostly I don't like the Ford but there have been a few occasions now where a 2500 would have been nice.  I test drove a 2015 1500 Silverado last night also.  If none of these 2500 work out I will probably start looking at a 2014+.  I need the crew cab but also want the 6.5' bed.  Found out last night that GM has stop sale on the 2014s.  They were all pulled off the lots.  Should be back out in a few weeks I was told.

Don't hold your breath too long on the "stop sales" I've been waiting for 3 weeks + to get some units fixed from my inventory and my GM store says "no fix, no parts, no end in sight" they usually reserve parts for customers first then do our inventory. But I can tell you GM is infamous for taking forever for a fix- see Airbag recalls 2007-2010 Silverado/Tahoe/suburban.....still no fix. recalls been out for a year.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: July 26, 2017, 03:10:19 PM »
Nuff issues turning a CCSB in town. Can't imagine trying a LB.

If I didn't need all the seating a LB would be nice, but never a 2 door.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: July 26, 2017, 05:37:37 PM »
They are in fact, the 4x4 long bed crew cab dually really doesn't fit in suburbia.....

Wait, did you get a dually also? What did you get?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: July 26, 2017, 05:43:35 PM »
I had one when we moved here, it got sold.....

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: July 26, 2017, 06:27:04 PM »

Gotcha...you miss it? After having a 3/4 ton since high school, I don't know if I could live without one.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: July 26, 2017, 07:00:43 PM »
Hippies. I DD a crew cab 4WD Dually in downtown houston in and out of all the parking garages.  Drive it like a forklift. Back it in everywhere.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: July 26, 2017, 08:19:19 PM »

Gotcha...you miss it? After having a 3/4 ton since high school, I don't know if I could live without one.

Nope, honestly had a hard time buying a half ton. I've driven a 3/4 or 1 ton since high school as well. But I really have no use for anything more than my F150. It just rides so much better.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: July 26, 2017, 08:20:00 PM »
Hippies. I DD a crew cab 4WD Dually in downtown houston in and out of all the parking garages.  Drive it like a forklift. Back it in everywhere.

My wife did that all thru college for her nursing degree.....

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4065 on: July 26, 2017, 08:25:37 PM »
Hauled a couple loads of corn to the alcohol plant. Finished out that contract. Unhooked the trailer. Tomorrow I do a service and the get the side dump ready. Manure hauling starts Monday. Hopefully that keeps us busy for a few weeks. That brings in $100 an hour per truck. We have 2 of them running and one backup. Being my brother is gone I suppose I should be a nice guy and get his ready too.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: July 26, 2017, 08:29:51 PM »

Don't hold your breath too long on the "stop sales" I've been waiting for 3 weeks + to get some units fixed from my inventory and my GM store says "no fix, no parts, no end in sight" they usually reserve parts for customers first then do our inventory. But I can tell you GM is infamous for taking forever for a fix- see Airbag recalls 2007-2010 Silverado/Tahoe/suburban.....still no fix. recalls been out for a year.

Matt, i sent you a pm
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: July 26, 2017, 08:53:26 PM »
Looked at a 2012 tonight.  Was liking it until I saw some bare metal on the roof and then a bunch of rust on the edge.  To the guys that have experience with this.  Can this be fixed and what is the right way to do it.  As is it's a deal breaker for me.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: July 26, 2017, 09:03:10 PM »
Looks like either rock chips or most likely the window was replaced and they didn't properly repair paint damage.  It can be sanded and painted much like any other rust area.  If you want to take the time........

I would love a long bed four door. Dual or not.  But as is my ccsb doesn't hold all my moto gear and my boys let alone when the other two start joining us.   The tool box sucks up to much space.   An well.  It's Utah. We love big trucks

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: July 26, 2017, 10:09:43 PM »
I think you are right Bear. Is that an 8.1?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: July 26, 2017, 11:17:11 PM »

I'm guessing somebody did a bad job putting the windshield in.  Paint is bubbling the entire length of the edge.  That one spot had rusty steel flaking off and felt weak when I pushed on it.  I told the salesman to have there body guy look at it tomorrow and get back to me.  Will wait and see what they say.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #4071 on: July 26, 2017, 11:36:34 PM »
I don't know Bear. Looks like I can see some bubbling next to a few of those rust spots. That's what the spots on mine look like after 6 years of Missouri salt.

I definitely wouldn't count out a long bed. They're just really rare in these parts.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:38:20 PM by longball »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: July 26, 2017, 11:49:09 PM »
If there is bubbling all around, either have them strip the top and repair or pass on it.

6.0 are OK, but even tuned they just don't have the 350hp they are supposed to.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: July 27, 2017, 12:07:07 AM »
CCLB FTW! I'm with Tex - back it in.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: July 27, 2017, 09:41:19 AM »
My buddy does construction and a lot of work on Beacon Hill in Boston which is tight for a darn Smartcar. He drives a Dodge Cummins Tradesman CCLB, how he gets in and out of there in that beast is beyond me.

Got a new camera and was all excited to get used to is (leaving with the family for a 12 day trip Monday) but instead got to work until midnight and back at it today. All the work you have to do to just get ready to go away can be a PITA.

But I'm excited to have a DSLR I can take some real pics with! Now if I can figure out the 7,435 functions I might be able to take reasonable pictures!  :shocked:

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: July 27, 2017, 10:46:36 AM »
My buddy does construction and a lot of work on Beacon Hill in Boston which is tight for a darn Smartcar. He drives a Dodge Cummins Tradesman CCLB, how he gets in and out of there in that beast is beyond me.

Got a new camera and was all excited to get used to is (leaving with the family for a 12 day trip Monday) but instead got to work until midnight and back at it today. All the work you have to do to just get ready to go away can be a PITA.

But I'm excited to have a DSLR I can take some real pics with! Now if I can figure out the 7,435 functions I might be able to take reasonable pictures!  :shocked:

Wilbur, which dslr did you pick up?

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: July 27, 2017, 07:49:04 PM »
Today, drove home from So. MO pulling the camper home and got a rock hard into the top center of the windshield.  Thought we escaped serious damage and then watched the crack magically appear across the drivers side!  NUTS!

Yesterday we escaped the heat by swimming off a pontoon boat on Lake Pomme Terre!  Wife and daughter enjoy the ride and bobbing around!  We all had a great day!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:05:29 PM by cudakidd53 »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: July 27, 2017, 08:15:51 PM »
Yesterday we escaped the heat by swimming off a pontoon boat on Lake Pomme Terre!

Potato Lake? ha!

Wilbur, which dslr did you pick up?

I got a Pentax K-3 II. I had a K-1000 film back in the day and I like how Pentax makes them pretty weather tight and also how the anti-shake is in the body of the camera instead of the lens so you don't have to keep paying for that. I got a 18-135mm lens and a 55-300mm zoom lens, a flash, remote, filters, new tripod, case etc.

Haven't had a chance to get going with it much yet but grabbed a few pics yesterday. Hoping to do some more this weekend so I can try some of the different features.   

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: July 30, 2017, 06:44:36 AM »
I had five good sized ash trees dropped and cut up in my yard with the intention of using the wood at the new house for firewood, the place has three wood burning fireplaces.  So yesterday I began paying for my choice to have them taken down, I have to start getting the Wood loaded on the trailer to take it to the new house. I got my trailer loaded(7.5x11) and a friend lent me his dual axle 7x18 trailer. So I'm going to rough guess 6-7k weight of wood loaded so far.  I figure once I have those two dumped, I have a few more trips, I'm considering renting a.dump trailer so I only have to touch it once until I choose to split it. Since I know it didn't happen without pics, here they are for your "I'm glad that's not me" viewing pleasure.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:47:38 AM by dave945 »

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: July 30, 2017, 09:47:06 AM »
Dave, that's called pain in the Ash......it's also why they say that wood heat warms twice, in your case 3 times - moving, splitting and then burning! :grin:
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4080 on: July 30, 2017, 10:09:41 AM »
That's a lot of wood. Too bad they're all fireplaces not woodstoves. Fpl's lose lots of heat up the chimney. But they do look great for sure!

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: July 30, 2017, 10:26:44 AM »
 It wasn't today but....1st shift at station 15 are now honorary "uncles" to a little girl born at 0416 yesterday morning. With the new title comes delivery donuts!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 01:28:46 PM by longball »

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: July 30, 2017, 10:56:59 AM »
Congrats Longball, honorary or not, that's a good day. I'm expecting to deliver my new bundle of joy in the next few days. All depends on when momma and the baby decide is time. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:58:11 AM by dave945 »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: July 30, 2017, 01:25:42 PM »
Just drove this pos 10 miles to my brother's new place. I'm still shaking from fear.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: July 30, 2017, 01:28:30 PM »
Congrads Longball.

Went fishing friday up at Ice House and Union valley. Also used the trip to map out a scouting camp since everything else is booked up. This site is isolated but just 1/4 off the road.

This was a solo trip and was very nice. Love the boys but sometimes alone is better. They were all at a church camp near Occidental.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: July 30, 2017, 01:35:32 PM »
Congrats Longball, honorary or not, that's a good day. I'm expecting to deliver my new bundle of joy in the next few days. All depends on when momma and the baby decide is time.
Thanks Dave. None of us wanted to deliver a baby, especially at 0400, but it was an awesome thing to experience.

I don't know if you've used wood heat before but as far as I'm concerned no other heat else feels as good.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: July 30, 2017, 01:36:02 PM »
Longball. Donuts are happy food for sure. Ken, what? No brakes??

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: July 30, 2017, 01:36:59 PM »
Longball. Congrats on the new little girl! Hope everyone is doing well.

Nice trip JR. The 59 degrees probably felt good also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: July 30, 2017, 01:41:21 PM »
Then I went over to Union Valley Res and fished right next to the dam. Got one more just a little smaller than the big one. Lost another that really felt good, line broke.

Pic is east over the lake looking right at the Rubicon trail. I am sitting at around 4k, those are 8-9k. I used to pack in up there to hunt (Meiss Pass) and you looked down on Tahoe.

Followed the GPS out and it took me on a road where jeeps would be happy. Never needed 4x4 but it scratched the heck out of the max. Ended up taking me to a dead end that had a scary little single tract bridge, so I backed up the hill and back tracted all the way to Ice House. Sure the kids would have like it. 

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: July 30, 2017, 02:28:33 PM »
Nice trip JR.
Longball, congrats. It's good to do something you can feel proud of for years to come.

Charles, it had some brakes.  (3 rear ones to be exact) 30k lbs of water, no tags, cracked frame, blowing all the gear oil out of the front diff because the axles started flailing at 25 mph, and smoking like a freight train....pretty exciting.
Oh, and the middle axle made a horrendous clunk around corners, enough to lift the truck....like the spiders were welded.
Sure glad DPS was still in bed this morning.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: July 30, 2017, 02:32:43 PM »
One of the commercial vehicle guys would've had a field day with you Ken. Glad you made it.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: July 30, 2017, 02:42:26 PM »
Ken, you were just like all the Mexican NAFTA drivers, just act like you don't speak English and they'll let you go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: July 30, 2017, 05:09:02 PM »
Si senor

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: July 30, 2017, 07:56:25 PM »
Looks like a great trip JR! Nice fish!

Sheesh Ken that'll keep you paying attention! No fun.

Getting packed tonight....heading to the old country (well....the wife's family's old country- Italy) with the whole family, FIL and BIL. Should be an interesting 12 days!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: July 30, 2017, 11:15:19 PM »
Safe travels to you and yours

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4095 on: July 30, 2017, 11:23:29 PM »
Longball well done!
KEN...Ken... Sheesh...
Have fun Wil.

Last day of vacation. Back to the grind tomorrow am...
They're never long enough.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: July 31, 2017, 07:56:03 PM »
Hauled another load of wood down to the new house.  This stuff is heavy.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: July 31, 2017, 09:19:21 PM »
Took the kids to a demolition derby Sunday. We had a long of fun. They even got the kids out there on power wheels.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: July 31, 2017, 10:41:47 PM »
Well it's official as of a couple days ago.
Got a new job, M-F days only.
Done with tools and crazy hours.
I've know for a couple weeks now, but wasn't about to jynx it until official.

Into lower management now, change of pace, change of gears, and new challenges.
Now to decide on which program I want to begin, have a couple options.
One is Maintenance Managment Professional, other Certificate in Management...
Meeting with boss in a month for performance review and career development meeting.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: July 31, 2017, 10:47:49 PM »
Well it's official as of a couple days ago.
Got a new job, M-F days only.
Done with tools and crazy hours.
I've know for a couple weeks now, but wasn't about to jynx it until official.

Into lower management now, change of pace, change of gears, and new challenges.
Now to decide on which program I want to begin, have a couple options.
One is Maintenance Managment Professional, other Certificate in Management...
Meeting with boss in a month for performance review and career development meeting.
Don't quite understand

CF or something else?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal