Hello Guest

Author Topic: How do you tell time?  (Read 15121 times)

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
How do you tell time?
« on: January 01, 2016, 06:02:53 PM »
G-shock tough solar. Great piece. Super well built and was on rollback at wal mart a few years ago for forty bucks!

My wife got me the MTM Patriot for a "retirement" gift after my last, last deployment. It's a great piece as well with a real chrono, I guess it was pretty expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: How do you tell time?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 07:05:16 PM »
the origo I have had for 8 years now and have had to replace the band a couple of times and the battery as well.  there are 2 real reasons why I bought this watch from cabela's to begin with.  1. I can replace the battery by myself in my house and not have to take it to a repair place to have it done, and 2. I really liked the weight and solid construction of the watch.

and I have a couple of these marathon SAR DIVE watches.  they were given to me on deployments.  I would really like to get the stainless steel band for them, but they are a little expensive.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 07:31:47 PM »
Love my gshock... It's my daily

Also have a dress watch with a black leather band I wear when I wear my suits...

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 10:09:55 PM »
Had a Suunto Vector... LOVED that watch. But after a few years it finally gave up the ghost. Then I bought a G-Shock, so far it's doing good. Only minus I give it is the hands lose glow power pretty fast, if they had tritium on them like the Luminox watches do, I'd like it even more.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 03:07:08 PM »
Update:

I replaced the G-Shock with a Suunto Core in all black. I didn't mind the G Shock, but I'm a big fan of Suunto. The Vector I wanted was more money, so I went Core after a couple Army buddies recommended it.

Nate those Marathon SARs are awesome, but stupid expensive.

HC, I also approve of that MTM!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 03:07:49 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 04:29:07 PM »
and the class 9 system took care of that for me....... ;D
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 06:13:01 PM »
and the class 9 system took care of that for me....... ;D

8)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 08:28:08 PM »
 :o

8)

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 07:40:02 PM »
Update:

Bought a G-Shock DW-9052 today after work. I still like my Suunto Vector, but had a problem with it, that mysteriously resolved itself a couple days ago, however, I felt like I needed a new everyday watch. Pics when I'm able to get stuff to cooperate.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 10:52:21 PM »
Timex and Citizen for me. They break about once a year so I just buy another. Cheaper than a new crystal and battery.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 10:34:46 PM »
My origo watch finally gave up the ghost after 9 years this last weekend when i got shot across the water......

So i went and got a suunto this morning.

Bobby helped make my decision easier......

http://www.suunto.com/en-US/Products/Sports-Watches/Suunto-Core/Suunto-Core-All-Black/

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 11:06:25 AM »
Kids got me a smart watch to go with my Motorola phone. I'm not really a smart watch guy, but it works, waterproof, and can find my phone if I lose it.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 11:16:40 AM »
My origo watch finally gave up the ghost after 9 years this last weekend when i got shot across the water......

So i went and got a suunto this morning.

Bobby helped make my decision easier......

http://www.suunto.com/en-US/Products/Sports-Watches/Suunto-Core/Suunto-Core-All-Black/

I do what I can. Whatever happened to the SARs?

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 01:05:04 PM »
Times and G-Shocks for me as well. I have a decent Seiko I wear for dress as well. Most times I don't wear a watch as I always have my phone and we must have 30 clocks in the house (stove, microwave, 2 others in the kitchen) cable boxes (4), other assorted clocks (5 I think?). Daylight savings is a total PITA every year! ha. But I do like it when I have it on. But its been so long I just have to get "used to" the feeling again. 

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 01:36:42 PM »
Oh i still have those, just havent got the titanium band for one of the 2 yet.

I have no issue with the analog face, just prefer digital for quick glances......

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 07:49:40 PM »
Oh i still have those, just havent got the titanium band for one of the 2 yet.

I have no issue with the analog face, just prefer digital for quick glances......

I was hoping you weren't going to say you got rid of them.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 10:15:06 AM »
Oh no, they are sittin in a safe place.......

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 01:14:19 PM »
Oh no, they are sittin in a safe place.......

Lucky

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 08:52:54 PM »
Update:

Back to my Suunto Core. Removed the crappy stock elastomer band and replaced it with a 22mm zulu watchstrap that I've had sitting in an old footlocker.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 08:57:27 PM »
got a picture of that?

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 09:01:09 PM »

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2018, 07:54:14 AM »
Update:

The Suunto has been given a new task as my dive watch since it has a depthmeter built in, and the NATO strap makes it easier to secure over the wetsuit and gloves.  A recently (within the last couple months) purchased GShock DW-6900MS has taken over all duties as a daily wear watch.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2018, 08:04:20 AM »
POIDH  (we want pics)
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2018, 09:13:51 AM »
POIDH  (we want pics)

I'm technologically disadvantaged. I can take a heuristic approach but I feel as if that wouldn't give the photographic evidence you require. Shorthand... actual camera broken, phone acting up.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2018, 02:56:51 PM »
Is this the new time piece
https://www.casio.com/products/archive/watches/g-shock/dw6900ms-1

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2018, 11:41:57 PM »
Is this the new time piece
https://www.casio.com/products/archive/watches/g-shock/dw6900ms-1

That's the one, I have the 3230 module..apparently the newer version. Tells time and I don't have to be careful with it, which is a plus.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2019, 11:38:14 AM »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2019, 11:47:21 AM »
Good
Watch. I have that one. Somewhere anyway. I’d have to dig for it. I just like a bigger case nowadays.

Got my eye on this one.

https://www.timepiece.com/citizen-watch-bn2029-01e.html?mkwid=_dm&pcrid=292806467731&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI28DegsrU3wIVjh6tBh2uiAyFEAQYAyABEgIhsfD_BwE

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2019, 12:40:02 PM »
What is the practical use for a depth meter?  Elevation meter?

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2019, 05:00:14 PM »
What is the practical use for a depth meter?  Elevation meter?

If you scuba dive it's useful so you know your depth, and for decompression stops.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2019, 06:05:25 PM »
How may of you all do that?

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2019, 07:21:23 PM »
How may of you all do that?

I do.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2019, 07:28:07 PM »
Good
Watch. I have that one. Somewhere anyway. I’d have to dig for it. I just like a bigger case nowadays.

I still have my Suunto Core, so I have the large diameter watch. I just wanted something simple and I can use for diving and general use. I still have to get a dress watch for those rare moments I have to put on a suit.

P.S. Nate, I'm still waiting for you to decide to give me one of those Marathon SAR watches.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 07:38:39 PM by BobbyB »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2019, 07:47:58 PM »
Good

I still have my Suunto Core, so I have the large diameter watch. I just wanted something simple and I can use for diving and general use. I still have to get a dress watch for those rare moments I have to put on a suit.

P.S. Nate, I'm still waiting for you to decide to give me one of those Marathon SAR watches.

Lol

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2019, 06:50:57 AM »
I recently upgraded my Suunto Vector (8 years of good use!), to a Suunto Traverse Alpha. The GPS function is more accurate than any handheld I've ever used. Rechargeable, and the battery typically lasts me a couple weeks. I've been wearing it daily for about 6 months now, through multiple field training exercises, with no wear, and I'm pretty tough on a watch. The sapphire lens is extremely tough, not a scratch on it. If you're looking for a relatively simple GPS watch, with limited smart watch options, I highly recommend it.

https://www.suunto.com/Products/sports-watches/Suunto-Traverse-Alpha/Suunto-Traverse-Alpha-Stealth/
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2019, 07:32:01 AM »
I haven't worn a watch since I got my first cell phone.  I don't miss it either. I have been thinking it would be nice to have some kind of wind up pocket watch.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2019, 07:39:16 AM »
I recently upgraded my Suunto Vector (8 years of good use!), to a Suunto Traverse Alpha. The GPS function is more accurate than any handheld I've ever used. Rechargeable, and the battery typically lasts me a couple weeks. I've been wearing it daily for about 6 months now, through multiple field training exercises, with no wear, and I'm pretty tough on a watch. The sapphire lens is extremely tough, not a scratch on it. If you're looking for a relatively simple GPS watch, with limited smart watch options, I highly recommend it.

https://www.suunto.com/Products/sports-watches/Suunto-Traverse-Alpha/Suunto-Traverse-Alpha-Stealth/
Wow. Shot detection?  Does it give you direction of incoming fire?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2019, 10:44:16 AM »
Watches were getting to be a big thing at work when I left (BIG), I just use my phone.

I do like knowing altitude though, don't know why.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2019, 11:15:53 AM »
I have always felt lost without a watch.  Also, I work in a lot of secure spaces where you can't take an electronic device.  Not even a fitbit or smart watch.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2019, 07:44:29 PM »

I was close to buying that watch when I bought my last CORE. Although I still love the old Vectors, wish they never stopped making them.

Wow. Shot detection?  Does it give you direction of incoming fire?

It's for hunting. Drops a pin on the route so you can go back to the original location to start a new search if you lose the trail, or it gets too dark to track the animal.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 07:45:15 PM by BobbyB »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2019, 07:58:49 PM »
I actually just replaced the band on my core

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2019, 08:06:32 PM »

It's for hunting. Drops a pin on the route so you can go back to the original location to start a new search if you lose the trail, or it gets too dark to track the animal.

OK, that makes more sense. 

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2019, 07:50:34 AM »

Fall apart or upgrade it? If you wanted to put a NATO or ZULU watch band on let me know, I'm putting the stock band back on since I moved the zulu band to the Seiko.

Offline Superwhdm

• I'm a super welder husband dad man!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2019, 09:12:22 AM »
I’ve been wearing a Suunto Core for about 5 years. I recently replaced the band with a grey one. It’s pretty good for what it is. Not an incredible machine but it does a light duty job just fine. The compass is a little less than accurate and the aluminum bezel is easily scratched but it has good looks for a watch. I like the black face with grey silicone band. It’s been everywhere with me including diving in the Gulf coast.
Car or Truck-Truck
Rural or City-Rural
Early morning or late night-Early Morning
Hard work or Easy Work-Smart Work

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2019, 09:31:20 AM »

Fall apart or upgrade it? If you wanted to put a NATO or ZULU watch band on let me know, I'm putting the stock band back on since I moved the zulu band to the Seiko.

the original elastomer band broke, and I replaced it with one of the new rubber ones.  well see how long this one lasts....lol

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2019, 10:14:46 AM »
the original elastomer band broke, and I replaced it with one of the new rubber ones.  well see how long this one lasts....lol

Yea I don't really like the elastomer band but I have the original one sitting in a drawer in my filing cabinet so I'll throw it back on.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2019, 10:37:07 AM »
I still have a hard time forking over the $$$ for the titanium band for the marathon?

https://www.marathonwatch.com/collections/accessories/products/stainless-steel-bracelet?variant=7525052350506

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2019, 12:05:15 PM »
That link is for SS. How much is the Ti?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2019, 01:04:49 PM »
they may not have the titanium one anymore?....dang

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2019, 09:14:39 PM »
I still have a hard time forking over the $$$ for the titanium band for the marathon?

https://www.marathonwatch.com/collections/accessories/products/stainless-steel-bracelet?variant=7525052350506

I'm still willing to take one of those watches off your hands to help alleviate your enduring financial struggle.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal