Hello Guest

Author Topic: Cat 225 Excavator  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Cat 225 Excavator
« on: May 18, 2015, 09:53:12 PM »
Anyone know anything or have experience with one of these?

It's an 80's Caterpillar 225LU. It has a cat 3304 4 cyl turbo engine which suggests it was built in Brazil and shipped up here. American built units have a V8 diesel. Both had either 125 or 135HP depending on the year.

Anyway there is a pretty one near my farm for sale asking 24K. Engine was replaced with a factory new engine just 300 hours ago. Paint is in good condition but track is worn maybe 50%-60%
I do not know if the track pins have been turned.
Comes with a 24" and a 48" bucket, a ripper, and a thumb. It would be ideal for pulling up all those pesky cedars on the road in to make room to get in/out.
Could dig the pond(s) a basement and a underground play area.

Worth it???
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cat 225 Excavator
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 12:16:57 AM »
Purdy,,,,,,,,,,

Does it use parts that are readily available? You know what I mean.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 12:18:33 AM »

Does it use parts that are readily available? You know what I mean.
Poke Don!  But a good point.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 05:57:33 AM »
Worth it?  Dunno.  You'd have to do the math.  Figure out what you would use it on in the near future and the number of hours it would take.  Something like that might be one you would want to rent.  If you can rent one to get everything you want done in a matter of a week, then spending $3500 to rent it and let it be someone else's depreciating asset might be the way to go.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 07:42:49 AM »
Worth it?  Dunno.  You'd have to do the math.  Figure out what you would use it on in the near future and the number of hours it would take.  Something like that might be one you would want to rent.  If you can rent one to get everything you want done in a matter of a week, then spending $3500 to rent it and let it be someone else's depreciating asset might be the way to go.
I copy the rent thing
But what happens is I have projects that stretch out for years.
Now: Pull trees out of road to get it in better shape
Soon: Muck out pond
Soon: build (Big) extension onto pond
coming up: Dig out basement
someday: dig underground shelter
sooner than someday: Drive posts around one field so I can fence and start in with critters
upcoming: Use as crane to heft new barn timbers into place
upcoming someday: Put in a mile or two of trails so I have access to all of the property.
Next: When I buy the surrounding properties, use on them to improve
then: About a thousand separate projects I have no clue about now

So for me the rental thing is not wise. Say I drop $3K for a week's use on a big machine. Well, I still need a machine or I rent each time and have spent 60K over the years vs 20K and depreciate it, then someday maybe even sell it for 10K
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 10:34:12 PM »
Plus with all that land you never know what will crop up when. Then you don't have to plan out its use for a week and hope you get done.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 10:58:13 PM »
Sounds like you have done the math.  If you have the cash then go for it.  Too bad you aren't closer so I can borrow it...
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal