Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2015 Maine Moose Hunt Rifle  (Read 4162 times)

Offline Russell

• Registered
    • View Profile
2015 Maine Moose Hunt Rifle
« on: June 25, 2015, 10:20:11 AM »
I am pleased to say that after 15 years of trying I have finally been selected for the 2015 Maine Moose Hunt.
I want to purchase a new hunting rifle for this hunt. I have a budget of 1,000 dollars. This budget will include the firearm, scope and mounts.
Because this rifle will be used for hunting I will have to carry it for great distances so weight is going to be a concern. Although most shots while hunting in my area are within 100 yards I would like to be able to accurately shoot out to 300 yds at the range.

Summary:
Looking For New Hunting Rifle
Hunting Large Game (Moose, Deer)
Budget 1,000 dollars All Inclusive
Needs to be Light Weight
Accurate to 300+ yds

Need Suggestions, Caliber, Brand etc...
Please share any reviews (Good or Bad) you have on big game hunting rifles you own...

Thanks Guys

Offline Russell

• Registered
    • View Profile
Tikka T3 Lite Bolt Action
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 10:25:08 AM »
This is currently on the top of my list. Possibly with a Zeiss Scope and Tally Mounts.
Any opinions on this gun?

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Maine Moose Hunt Rifle
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 10:59:06 AM »
Others will chime in with more hunting experience than me, but if i was in the same spot right now, I'd buy a Savage model 16 in 300 win mag (approx $700) and a Vortex Viper 3x9 (approx 300)...

I have the Savage 16 in 308, really like it. I have a Nikon Monarch 4-12 with the BDC reticle that i haven't mounted yet. But i'm blind as a bat and need a little extra power.

Big fan of the Vortex glass tho. I have the Viper HD 65 mm spotter and it's superb.

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: Tikka T3 Lite Bolt Action
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 11:01:39 AM »
Because this rifle will be used for hunting I will have to carry it for great distances so weight is going to be a concern. Although most shots while hunting in my area are within 100 yards I would like to be able to accurately shoot out to 300 yds at the range.

Summary:
Looking For New Hunting Rifle
Hunting Large Game (Moose, Deer)
Budget 1,000 dollars All Inclusive
Needs to be Light Weight
Accurate to 300+ yds

Need Suggestions, Caliber, Brand etc...

This is currently on the top of my list. Possibly with a Zeiss Scope and Tally Mounts.
Any opinions on this gun?

Congrats on getting selected to go on the hunt. 15 years is a long time to wait, so good luck.

The Tikka is nice, it IS light, so it'll be easy to pack in, around, and out on your hunt. But due to it being light there will be "considerable" recoil if you go with a bigger caliber, such as 7mm Mag or 300 WM, 300 WSM. I've seen people shoot them, and after a couple shots, they are flinching bad due to recoil, but that's probably also just them.

As for budget, I'm sure you can find a Remington 700 in 30-06, 7mmMag, 300 WM that includes a scope for sale that will keep you under budget. For scopes, Nikon is a good scope for little money, and for 100-300 yards it would be a good choice. Again the rifle and scope are really dependent on what you can find in your area.

Have you checked any of the online places or gun shows to see if you can find a scope or rifle that is lightly used? You might be able to get both plus some extra's for under your budget. Or even some for sale in your surrounding area? I don't think most people wouldn't allow you to test fire a rifle they are trying to sell if you provide the ammo.

Others will chime in with more hunting experience than me, but if i was in the same spot right now, I'd buy a Savage model 16 in 300 win mag (approx $700) and a Vortex Viper 3x9 (approx 300)...

I have the Savage 16 in 308, really like it. I have a Nikon Monarch 4-12 with the BDC reticle that i haven't mounted yet. But i'm blind as a bat and need a little extra power.

Big fan of the Vortex glass tho. I have the Viper HD 65 mm spotter and it's superb.

This is a great suggestion.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 11:02:59 AM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 11:46:43 AM »
OK,
Was thinking about this
One time offer
My 1982 Remington 700BDL in .300WM with a german (bought it in Germany) Yager 4X12 scope with 56mm front lens and low light reticle for $1000

Or

My Remington 1982 700BDL .264WM with the same scope, same price

Or both for $2000, well, $1999.99 (I'll discount for quantity purchase!)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 11:49:03 AM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Russell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 12:20:18 PM »

I currently use a Savage 110 now for hunting. It is an older 30-06 with a Leupold scope and it works well. I will have to check out the Vortex Scopes.
Thanks for the input.

Offline Russell

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Tikka T3 Lite Bolt Action
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 12:29:38 PM »

Congrats on getting selected to go on the hunt. 15 years is a long time to wait, so good luck.

The Tikka is nice, it IS light, so it'll be easy to pack in, around, and out on your hunt. But due to it being light there will be "considerable" recoil if you go with a bigger caliber, such as 7mm Mag or 300 WM, 300 WSM. I've seen people shoot them, and after a couple shots, they are flinching bad due to recoil, but that's probably also just them.

As for budget, I'm sure you can find a Remington 700 in 30-06, 7mmMag, 300 WM that includes a scope for sale that will keep you under budget. For scopes, Nikon is a good scope for little money, and for 100-300 yards it would be a good choice. Again the rifle and scope are really dependent on what you can find in your area.

Have you checked any of the online places or gun shows to see if you can find a scope or rifle that is lightly used? You might be able to get both plus some extra's for under your budget. Or even some for sale in your surrounding area? I don't think most people wouldn't allow you to test fire a rifle they are trying to sell if you provide the ammo.

This is a great suggestion.

I have also heard that the lighter weight guns can pack quite a punch. It seems with the new composite stocks this is a problem. Do you think the Remington 700 is a good gun for the money? The only one I have ever shot had the extra long HEAVY barrel that was set up for long range shooting, definitely not a good bush gun. You bring up a good point that a used gun may be a better option with my limited budget. I will have to start looking at used firearms in my area.

Offline Russell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 12:35:55 PM »
OK,
Was thinking about this
One time offer
My 1982 Remington 700BDL in .300WM with a german (bought it in Germany) Yager 4X12 scope with 56mm front lens and low light reticle for $1000

Or

My Remington 1982 700BDL .264WM with the same scope, same price

Or both for $2000, well, $1999.99 (I'll discount for quantity purchase!)

How could I not get them both with that discount!
That is a great looking gun and sounds like a good deal. I do like the older guns.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 01:39:00 PM »
I have also heard that the lighter weight guns can pack quite a punch. It seems with the new composite stocks this is a problem. Do you think the Remington 700 is a good gun for the money? The only one I have ever shot had the extra long HEAVY barrel that was set up for long range shooting, definitely not a good bush gun. You bring up a good point that a used gun may be a better option with my limited budget. I will have to start looking at used firearms in my area.

Yea with the composite stocks, and the standard pencil thin barrel you're looking at some hefty recoil, caliber dependent. For the type of hunting you mentioned I think the 700 would be a perfect choice. You can generally find some with 20-24" barrels. For wooded areas I think the 20-22 would be about perfect, but again caliber dependent. As for used guns people buy something use it once, then decided that it isn't what they want, or they want something else, or the other half puts out an executive mandate to get rid of one thing or another, so you can usually find a good deal.

How could I not get them both with that discount!
That is a great looking gun and sounds like a good deal. I do like the older guns.

Good deal right there.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 01:40:32 PM »
hard to pass that deal up!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 03:56:19 PM »
What's wrong with your current 30-06? It would work on a moose, especially under 300 yards. You could take the grand and put it towards other gear...better scope...spotting scope, etc. Just curious.

I love my big gun, a 300 weatherby, but I had to fill the syn. stock to help with felt recoil and now it's a beast to lug around.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 05:38:56 PM »
All have brought up good points. Lighter is heavier recoil.
I'm with Ken though, on the what is wrong with your 30-06?
Seen many a moose taken with those over the years.
Now if it's an 'I want another rifle' I completely get it.
The remmy 700's are good, in fact a lot of guys buy them for the actions when doing customs.
Have a look online as you should be able to find combos under the grand.

Now I'm just repeating everyone else, all good input.
I do know first hand the Tika T3 are very light and hard on the shoulder in the larger calibers.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 07:50:04 PM »
All very good suggestions, especially the Vortex scope.  Very hard to beat for the money. 

I'll offer my opinion as well.  The remy 700 is the most popular bolt action rifle ever made. (for a reason)  It is relatively inexpensive, reliable and most of all there are a gazillion (yes, that is a number larger than the national debt) options and accessories for it.

Gunsmiths are very easy to find that can make one shoot very, very accurately.  And smithing services are fairly cheap for it because it is made out of a round billet so its easy to chuck into the lathe.  So you can buy it today, use it for years and then if you decide to take it to the next level you can send it off to a good 'smith like GA precision, MG Arms, etc to have it blue printed and made even more accurate.

here is a good example

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=491116832

Nice M40 stock and good basic rifle.  You only need a 2MOA rifle to hit a 6 inch kill zone at 300.  Nearly any rifle will do that and many will get close to 1MOA (which is really good for a factory rifle) with the right ammo.  Things like bullet type, the overall length of the load (which dictates how far it "jumps" into the lands from the chamber) are real keys to getting the most out of a rifle. Most important is the trigger.

So...

1, buy a remy 700 ( I would use a 300WSM or 300WM as you can load them "up or down" 140-220gn billets depending on what you want to shoot and kill anything on this continent.)

2. Consider upgrading the trigger to a Jewel HVR.  It will be the single best investment you can make in accuracy.  A creepy, gritty, heavy factory trigger will open up your groups considerably. Here's a neat little article
http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar183.htm
Yes, they are $200 but will make your rifle a much more effective killing machine.  Anyone with basic skills can install one and adjust it.  I'd even go so far as to say if it were a matter of money, buy the Jewel trigger first and live with a Barska cheap scope until you can upgrade that later.

3. get several brands of ammo and get down to the range and take your time sighting in and shooting groups.  Only shoot about 1 shot every 5 minutes to avoid letting the barrel get hot while you are assessing accuracy as most factory rifles are not "bedded" and heat from shooting several rounds in succession will change the point of impact. Clean your weapon about every 10 shots.  It will replicate the condition in which you will be hunting (a clean rifle) and until the bore is broken in, it will help keep undue buildup in the barrel which can affect accuracy. (really expensive aftermarket barrels are very smoothly machined and don't necessarily require that extra "break in".  Which ever ammo is the most accurate out of your rifle, use it. Alternatively, find a buddy that reloads and have him develop a load for you.

4.  Shoot safe and have fun.  Post pics of the Moose.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 07:53:38 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Russell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 09:31:27 AM »
Thanks for all the great input.
The 30-06 I currently hunt with is a good gun and is adequate in taking a moose. However, it is a little old and dated, and I have convinced my wife that I need something better for this hunt!
After your suggestions and some looking I have decided to go with the Vortex Scope. I am currently looking at the Vortex Viper 3.5x10x50 which I have found costs around 400 dollars. I like the idea of the zoom at 3.5 for close shots in the woods. Many start at 6.5 zoom, are these made for the range?

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 11:48:36 AM »
I am currently looking at the Vortex Viper 3.5x10x50 which I have found costs around 400 dollars. I like the idea of the zoom at 3.5 for close shots in the woods. Many start at 6.5 zoom, are these made for the range?

For wooded areas, I like the low power options. In my opinion 3.5 is pretty ideal for close, hurry up shots while hunting. Well 0x would be best, but 3.5x is a good route to take. The 6.5x will work, but depending on how think the trees/brush are where you'd be hunting it could be a limiting factor for those "oh crap it's right there and it's in a perfect spot" type shots.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 05:41:45 PM by BobbyB »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 11:57:08 AM »
I think you'll really like that Vortex. 50mm objective is a dome, but will make for great light transmission... I'm not the best optics reviewer, as I can't see well at all, but like I said I am thoroughly impressed with my Vortex Viper HD spotting scope.

I'm one of those weirdos that's really brand specific, so I just stuck with Nikon for my 308... since i have Nikon's on everything else with the same reticles (AR, 10/22, Savage 17hmr, etc). If that wasn't the case I would have bought the Vortex. They're warranty is phenomenal also.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 01:52:09 PM »
Haven't looked at new scopes for years. Those Vortex seem to have some nice options and value.

Good choices up there, and I am a little late. My old gun is a Ruger M77, 7mm mag with a 4-12.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 02:57:38 PM »
I'm kinda with you guys on the vortex...kinda. I have a hard time buying china glass, but I did, and went with a vortex spotter. Is it swarovski? No. Are they still somewhat expensive considering they're china? yes.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 04:28:16 PM »
You can't beat Vortex's lifetime VIP no questions asked warranty though. I've been looking and drooling over one of their PSTs.  ::)

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 04:29:28 PM »
My 1982 Remington 700BDL in .300WM

Weren't you going to do some upgrading on said beasty?

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 05:35:33 PM »

Thought about it.
But realistically, I'm likely never to need a 1000+ yard gun. Not for me with my circumstances.
Kit out the M1A for the best 800 meter shooting then score one of the 716 Sigs with an ACOG and call er' done.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 05:42:40 PM »
Thought about it.
But realistically, I'm likely never to need a 1000+ yard gun. Not for me with my circumstances.
Kit out the M1A for the best 800 meter shooting then score one of the 716 Sigs with an ACOG and call er' done.

Affirm

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 10:38:42 PM »

Thought about it.

Hmm, like you don't "need" a 900hp cummins powered completely anal retentively rebuilt 30 year old dodge either.  Its nice to know that you could, if you wanted to.....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 03:17:04 AM »
Hmm, like you don't "need" a 900hp cummins powered completely anal retentively rebuilt 30 year old dodge either.  Its nice to know that you could, if you wanted to.....

;D

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 07:36:16 AM »
Russell..(and others), I just bought the updated version of Quick Load and Quick Target, so if anyone wants me to model a load or dope table for a favorite load, I'm happy to run the numbers for you.

Offline Russell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 01:44:04 PM »
Sounds good. Ill let you know what Caliber and load I end up with.

Offline Russell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 01:54:07 PM »
I think I have decided on the following:
Tikka T3 Lite.  (7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag (still undecided))  :-\
Vortex Viper 3x9-40mm 1 inch tube

I started looking at mounts and found this Rail.  https://tikkaperformance.com/Tikka-T3-Performance-Series-Picatinny-Rail

I am not totally convinced I need a rail but what could it hurt, right?
I like this rail with the Leupold PRW rings. (low)

I am a little worried my scope will be set too high off the gun with this set up causing my cheek to not be resting on the stock while shooting.
It is hard to tell without putting all the pieces together.

That is where I am at today. Of course this could all change tomorrow.
Thanks again guys for the feedback thus far.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 01:58:53 PM »
I think I have decided on the following:
Tikka T3 Lite.  (7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag (still undecided))  :-\
Vortex Viper 3x9-40mm 1 inch tube

I started looking at mounts and found this Rail.  https://tikkaperformance.com/Tikka-T3-Performance-Series-Picatinny-Rail

I am not totally convinced I need a rail but what could it hurt, right?
I like this rail with the Leupold PRW rings. (low)

I am a little worried my scope will be set too high off the gun with this set up causing my cheek to not be resting on the stock while shooting.

Nice choice. The scope shouldn't be too high off the bore with those rings and rail. It should be pretty much at the perfect height. But there's always something that will be off. But you're off to a good start.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal