Hello Guest

Author Topic: 8.5 inch shotgun with no NFA required  (Read 1117 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
8.5 inch shotgun with no NFA required
« on: July 21, 2015, 07:16:01 PM »
I'm not sure what to think about this.  It seems to be a sweet little package and I already have multiple NFA items but it would be cool to have one that doesn't require a stamp if its true.

Any thoughts on this, either from practicality or legality?  Yes, its $1400 but its cool

http://www.blackacestactical.com/
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: 8.5 inch shotgun with no NFA required
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 07:20:18 PM »
No thoughts from me, all kinds of different rules apply to me.

But yeah that's a cool package there!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 04:24:41 PM »
In Cali a shotgun must have an 18in barrel with a 26in length when operational.

A semi auto rifle must have a 16in barrel and be 30in when operational.

Now this is from wiki, but is my understanding too.

USA

Under the National Firearms Act (NFA), it is illegal for a private citizen to possess a sawed-off modern smokeless powder shotgun (a shotgun with a barrel length shorter than 18 inches (46 cm) or an overall length shorter than 26 inches (66 cm)) (under U.S.C. Title II), without a tax-paid registration from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, requiring a background check and either a $200 or $5 tax for every transfer, depending upon the specific manufacturing circumstances of the particular sawed-off modern shotgun being transferred. Gun trusts have become an increasingly popular means of registering SBS' with the BATFE.[9] Short-barreled muzzleloading blackpowder shotguns, in contrast, are not illegal by federal law and require no tax-stamped permit, although they may be illegal under state law. As with all NFA regulated firearms, a new tax stamp must be purchased before every transfer. Inter-state transfers must be facilitated through a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) while intrastate transfers may be between two persons.[10]

In the US, shotguns originally manufactured without shoulder stocks (and thus not legally shotguns), with a total length under 26 inches, are classified as an "Any Other Weapon" by the BATFE and have a $5 transfer tax, if they are manufactured by a maker possessing the appropriate Class 2 Special Occupational Taxpayer Federal Firearms License. However, in order to convert an existing shoulder-stocked shotgun to a short-barreled shotgun or an existing pistol-grip-only shotgun to an "Any Other Weapon", a private citizen must pay the standard $200 NFA tax.[2]

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 04:29:39 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 08:16:31 PM »
mine as well, how do you think they get around it?  they claim to have cleared it with BATFE
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal