Hello Guest

Author Topic: Vacuum Bagging??  (Read 6222 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Vacuum Bagging??
« on: October 03, 2014, 12:34:24 AM »
 Looking at getting one of these for awhile. Seems versatile, lots of bags sizes and could be used for about anything, like ammo too.

Who has one, do you like it and what do you recommend?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 12:35:12 AM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum Bagging??
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 07:51:26 AM »
I'll have to look at the one I have up at my parent's place. It's handy for breaking the big bags of chicken breasts and etc down for smaller meals for the week or whatnot. It hasn't failed in the years we've used it. Only thing I remember is the one we have we have to cut the bags to size, and I think the newer style ones have pre-cut bags in sizes and etc.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 08:23:12 AM »
Still need to freeze though???

Electricity??
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 09:44:00 AM »

Electricity??

Only if it requires freezing. You can vacuum seal up some rice and dried bean together for small quick meals for camping/hunting/survival needs. Vacuum seal jerky in small batches as well for the same reason, plus you wouldn't have to worry about water getting in the bag through a zipper seal.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 10:23:42 AM »
Well as much for food as other things. It is for use now mostly.

I have zip bags and use the *** out of them, but the compactness of vacuuming adds ridigity too.

As for power, that is something for another forum, but I think everyone needs some back if even just for charging batteries.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 10:33:21 AM »

Electricity??
My brother has a 12v/120v version, from cabelas I think. We use it when we go bass fishing. Whatever we don't eat at the lake gets sliced and bagged, then put on ice.....no mess at home.
I use a large (120v only) at home for large game. I can't stand the thought of paying someone to butcher, because my dad was a pro cutter before he passed, and I'm sure he would turn in his grave!
May not work at the end of the world, but sure works now!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 01:41:18 PM »
I use the bag material in different width rolls and make my own sizes as needed. The cost is less and storage is easier. Vacuum bags sure hold fish and meats longer in the freezer and help keep things neat and clean wherever they are used. Once you get a vacuum set up you will find many uses for it. Yes, unlike zip bags you can not reseal it without the machine but for long term storage they are great.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 11:45:38 AM »
i know that this is not vacume bagging persay, but this falls inline with what you were talking about.

https://www.google.com/#q=vacuum+canning
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 04:08:52 AM »
Heading up to Reno today just to get away for the day and look at land to. They have Cabelas, Scheels and Sportsman Warehouse.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 06:46:31 AM »
I have one and love it!  Great for food, used it for ammo, $, important papers and other loose odds and ends.  Can be used as well in your emergency med kit, bug out bag.  Really useful to organize "Fire in a Bag" by putting loose combustibles (tinder) and supplies to light it in one package.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 04:36:30 PM »
I have one and love it!  Great for food, used it for ammo, $, important papers and other loose odds and ends.  Can be used as well in your emergency med kit, bug out bag.  Really useful to organize "Fire in a Bag" by putting loose combustibles (tinder) and supplies to light it in one package.
Used mine for the "fire in a bag" too. works great on socks and drawers on long backpacking trips for saving space. would be very handy for essentials in a bug out bag. good for keeping smells in and critters out. I say as long as there is electricity it's a no brainer.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 03:58:06 AM »
Just picked up the Walmart special for $50 and a roll of bags to try it out.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 10:28:00 PM »
Just picked up the Walmart special for $50 and a roll of bags to try it out.

Let us know how it works for you...I just put up a few bags of venison, so glad I bought one a few years ago.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 08:43:26 AM »
I thought of a few more uses for these vacuum bagging bags:

1. Taliban
2. Isis
3. When cops catch that certain bad guy who they are arresting for the forty fifth time
4. Liberals
5. the first person in line of every group of illegal aliens crossing the border
6. Poisonous snakes

Well, maybe not snakes, but you get the concept!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 08:59:50 PM »
Ok, so older neighbor lady hit me up the other day. She was getting rid of a foodsaver vacuum bagging machine with couple boxes of bags for $20. I researched the model number & found I could still buy the canning jar adapters for both wide & small mouth jars from Amazon for $23 delivered so for under $50 I have a setup to easily store small qty's of dry goods.

Since I auctioned all my canning stuff in Indiana before moving here I bought a case of quart jars today on sale with lids for $10 Will post up pics & more details in the coming days....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 09:40:45 PM »
Sweet
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 03:56:37 AM »
Just bagging the libs solves most of the other issues.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 07:52:17 AM »
I got one for christmas last year. Haven't used it yet. I will be soon with all the stuff coming in from the garden and its Jerky making season.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 06:50:14 PM »
I just tried mine. Wife wanted to freeze shredded zucchini for bread. It wouldn't seal. So I tried a baked potato just to see what happened. Sealed perfectly.  Only thing I can figure is the zucchini has too much juice and it wouldn't let it seal. Well meat has juice. How does that work? I must be doing it wrong.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 06:56:14 PM »
I just tried mine. Wife wanted to freeze shredded zucchini for bread. It wouldn't seal. So I tried a baked potato just to see what happened. Sealed perfectly.  Only thing I can figure is the zucchini has too much juice and it wouldn't let it seal. Well meat has juice. How does that work? I must be doing it wrong.

When you're working with the "wetter" items, you need to keep an eye on progress and manually seal before the liquid hits the seal area.
It's a bit of a crap shoot to figure out how far you can get.
Learned the hard way bagging scallops and lobster.
Caught it when I got home and had to re-bag.

Just went through my head you could maybe partially freeze the zucchini to slow the flow of moisture, and still be soft enough to pack nicely.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 07:51:04 PM »
place a folded up piece of paper towel in with it to help soak up a lot of that moisture.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2016, 07:24:48 AM »
place a folded up piece of paper towel in with it to help soak up a lot of that moisture.

^^^^X2. Do this all the time for pheasant etc. and makes huge difference- also blot excess moisture before setting in vacuum bag to seal.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 07:51:40 AM »
Makes sense. Thanks.

I've seen on cooking shows where people will marinade steaks in vacuum sealed bags. Suppose to force the marinade into the meat.  How does that wok? You have a steak and lots of liquid.  They must have a heavy duty commercial sealer. I just use zip lock bags or bowl with a lid.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2016, 09:37:19 AM »
When I'm vacuum sealing some buffalo trimmings for Bear, I put the stuff in the bag then throw it in the freezer while I'm working on the rest and then vacuum seal them. Keeps the liquid from being sucked up by the vaccuum.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 03:09:40 PM »
Makes sense. Thanks.

I've seen on cooking shows where people will marinade steaks in vacuum sealed bags. Suppose to force the marinade into the meat.  How does that wok? You have a steak and lots of liquid.  They must have a heavy duty commercial sealer. I just use zip lock bags or bowl with a lid.

I'm not sure how those ones work.
The sealer I bought had vacuum containers a few sizes.
Rigid plastic type, and they work well.
But to vacuum marinade, not sure how to execute vacuum with liquid present in a soft bag.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal