Hello Guest

Author Topic: 3+3 2500  (Read 47678 times)

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: 3+3 2500
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2019, 06:47:06 PM »
What they made a CAD D60?  Was that some kind of TNR special edition or something?

center axle disconnect. mid 90s dodges were equipt with them. 2nd gen cummins. they’re kind of junk..

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2019, 07:16:14 PM »
Never worked on that series of truck, didn’t know those were CAD.  I knew the mid 80s to early 90s D44 were CAD in the Dodges but I did not know they did it on the D60s in that series.  Learn something new everyday.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2019, 07:35:20 PM »
Nice job on the axles Hercules!! Also, I’m always impressed at your level cleanliness. I try to keep things clean, and with those efforts still looks like rust,dirt,paint, grease, rubber, you name it bomb went off in the garage.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2019, 07:57:01 PM »
thanks for the kind words.

and yes, the 2nd gen cummins axles were a 3 piece shaft. so the passenger side had a crazy box with a vacuum disconnect that slid a collar locked it to the far passenger side shaft. odd.

.. and they’re ball joint. so double whammy no go. hahah

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2019, 09:42:45 PM »
Nice work so far. Are you going with the spring caps or preload?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2019, 07:09:20 AM »

springless hi/crossover steering. they have a center ‘set bolt’ that applies preload on the bushing. the kit came with bronze ones. but i’m debating on using just the nylon ones from spicer. just odd putting metal on metal on a turning surface. but.. i guess all greased up its fine.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2019, 09:54:02 AM »
since it may be warm enough to paint tomorrow, i wanted to get what might need rolling and turning out of the way. so in went lower king pin bearing races and dust shields.

it didn’t call or any.. but i figured what the heck, RTV can’t be that bad on a somewhat (in my head) seal surface.

back upright, king pins.

in case anyone was wondering.. this is what 600ft lbs looks like without a $1200 torque wrench. hahah

also, just for reference, this offset mark is the difference between tighter than anything known to man and hand tight. not even alittle kidding. made this mark while taking off the old ones, so i figured i might as well use it for reference while tightening to an unholy level.

i put the new king pins in hand tight, retarded the mark the same amounted the one, and set to work with archimedes’ lever in an attempt to move the world.

this is the result

No body who ever attempted to remove a king pin would disagree!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2019, 09:56:21 AM »
Take a look:

Torque Specs on Dana 60.

Ring-gear bolts- 110 (lb-ft)

Bearing-cap bolts- 85 (lb-ft)

Diffrential cover bolts- 35 (lb-ft)

Kingpin-to-end forging- 500-600 (lb-ft)

Knuckle-bearing cap bolts- 70-90 (lb-ft)

Steering arm to knuckle nuts- 70-90 (lb-ft)

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2019, 11:23:11 AM »

springless hi/crossover steering. they have a center ‘set bolt’ that applies preload on the bushing. the kit came with bronze ones. but i’m debating on using just the nylon ones from spicer. just odd putting metal on metal on a turning surface. but.. i guess all greased up its fine.

Bronze/Brass is good against steel, you will not have issues.  They will be the last ones you will ever have to buy, almost every D60 I have taken apart the nylon bushing has been broken.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2019, 02:41:59 PM »
Bronze is definately the way to go, but you might have to have them line honed after install. From what I remember (been about 20 years since I did one) they are a super tight fit once pressed in.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2019, 03:09:39 PM »
No need to line hone them if machines correctly.

As far as removing kingpin there is a co now selling a weld on beater tool. You weld them onto kingpins then use a bfh to remove. Works like a dream, granted it’s a one time use tool unless you like torching and grinding...
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2019, 03:30:23 PM »
Yep, my nylons came out broken too.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2019, 06:08:24 PM »
Yep, my nylons came out broken too.

have you been visiting the castro district again JR?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2019, 06:34:56 PM »
I won't even go into the city at all.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2019, 07:24:21 PM »
quick bearing/seal install while waiting for warmer weather tomorrow. hoping to get the housing painted so i can be ready for carrier install once in/lb dial indicator torque wrench shows up. along with new lower kingpin bearing plates. old ones showed wear i didn’t see during tear down. got a set of spicers coming my way.  should be here friday.

i’ll just do one side for length.. but you get the idea.

this is simply the old race for the lower bearing. always handy to keep something around that has the correct OD

standard seal driver

aaaand done. took about 15 min. sure is nice being able to turn it upside down  :grin:

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2019, 05:14:49 PM »
got in alittle bit of trigger time today.

first off.. anyone seen a dana 60 hover? hahah

yes.. i’m OCD sand taped off the seal/surround so it says nice and golden (will hit it with clear after it dries.

shot of it before doing the diff cover (decided later that i may not offset the color of it.. so while i had the paint out i figured i’d go ahead and shoot it)

and color..

it’s all the same color now! now 2-3 different ones!
looks so much different than the way it’s been sitting for the last month waiting for parts.. 

having the eye bolt in the front really makes a difference. with it in place, it’s very easy to get the axle from face down to upright easily and effectively. makes painting the whole way around very easy. and not having to rest on anything.

can still easily the BOM on the DS of diff on the tube.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2019, 05:49:26 PM »
Ya know, that is a little OCD!  :likebutton:

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2019, 07:09:45 PM »
Me too, and the eye bolt thing is a great idea!

Wonder how a big one in the stud hole would work?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2019, 08:22:59 PM »
Me too, and the eye bolt thing is a great idea!

Wonder how a big one in the stud hole would work?

possibly quite well. i just needed to be able to roll it quickly while painting. but im sure a large bolt in the top would do the trick too!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 24, 2019, 08:25:33 PM »
Just thinking that big one wouldn't bend as easy and gives access the gears.

What gears are going in?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2019, 08:51:45 PM »
be the same ring and pinion/bearings that came out. 4.10s just pulled them to clean all the crud out of there and make sure the bearings were alright. after a lot of naphtha and air, they got plenty clean and back to near new. put some gear oil in them to make sure they were good (almost no noise..) whereas before it was terrible. just hope the gear mesh is correct and i can set the preload on the pinion with the shims that came out (one paaaaaper thin one was torn in half.. presumably since it was installed)

but the carrier bearings seem good. and the pressed on pinion bearing is back to no noise. only one i haven’t cleaned yet is the outer pinion bearing. but it looked fine

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2019, 08:59:55 PM »
Sounds promising. Did you make a spreader or just muscle it?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2019, 09:04:23 PM »
I won't even go into the city at all.

HAHAHAHAHAHA
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2019, 09:05:42 PM »
no spreader. just kinda popped it out. i’m hoping they go back in much the same way. rollers and cages stayed on. races are the only things that came ‘apart’. hoping they slide back in. once that and the pinion is done, i don’t have any inhibitions about the rest. it’ll just be bolting on and not scratching. lol

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2019, 01:06:47 AM »
I have done that tapping the thick shims in last.

Good luck!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2019, 07:24:27 AM »
there were no shims outside the races. seems as if (and i’ll check again) that they are in between the rollers and the carrier itself. so inside the pressed on bearing. i’ll double check. hoping to get it done this weekend.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2019, 10:35:00 AM »
If you need any assistance just shoot me a message I'm happy to help.
.052 shim thickness starting point for pinion depth, if you need to add back in to the one that spit out
71-30 in/lb drag on the pinion bearings, rotating resistance, then final torque on the pinion nut is 225 ft/lbs
backlash should be between .006-.010 and the housing spreader is really so you can get it back in, so you may struggle with this a bit so don't be shocked. You are correct, the shims are between the bearings and the carrier and you shouldn't have to mess with them.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2019, 01:45:11 PM »
will be trying to get it back in today. at least the pinion and carrier.

pics hopefully to follow. hah

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2019, 07:20:26 PM »
so i managed to get the gear set back in today. which was big. kind of the only ‘unknown’ thing i had on the agenda. everything else i’ve seen or done before..

to start with, outer bearing, oil slinger and seal went on.

then pinion fed in from the bottom with it’s appropriate shims. pinion yoke our in top.

rolled her over, and this is what it looks like, sans guts.

and with aforementioned guts..

it went in without too much fuss. dropped it in and got it close, pried alittle bit to center it in the bearing race surfaces. put the bearing caps on.. started to bolts and tapped it with a rubber butted hammer. went right in little effort and no binding.

this was the setup. took me 20 min to figure out the best orientation of the arms to get the working end and parallel to the teeth faces as possible. hahah

and just like that, there’s a pinion, yoke, carrier and gear set in the newly repainted housing for the first time in what seems like forever.

also got the last (fingers crossed..) pieces needed for the axle rebuild. after closer inspection of the lower king pin bearing plates, the seal surfaces were just too far gone for me to comfortably put them back in knowing gravity would pull shiny red grease out the bottom and all over my pretty axle in short order..

so, a quick google search and spicer part located, both were on the way. showed up this afternoon. hope to get them painted tomorrow and maybe back on sunday.

big thanks to TATE for giving me the info and approval of tolerances on the gear setup. now to make sure that the pattern is right.

for those curious, pinion drag with no carrier: 8in/lbs (re used bearings)
pinion nut torque: 160ft/lbs (may/most likely will tighten up once it’s under the truck and held with tires and gears..)
backlash: .009-.010

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2019, 05:17:38 PM »
not a ton done today. but.. managed to bag a pair of woodducks on the last day this morning.

on to truck parts..

diff cover scuffed up

inside of axle tube

new outer axle seal installed on pass side

this is what it looked like

pushed it in to this point, then whipped RTV on the backside of the lip to help with some waterproofing.

pushed it the rest of the way and tapped it in with a seal driver

once the half shafts are ready to go in, i’ll take the red grease and fill it up to the inne lips of the outer seal to help lube and to help with weather proofing also.

and cleaned up he original diff tag. may just make another just like it.. or paint this and run it

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2019, 07:52:09 PM »
after a couple failed attempts to clear my pieces, i figured out the issue. would help if i read instructions first. hahaha. but now that the cussin’ and swearin’ is out of the way, i started from zero after some sand blasting. hoping to get knuckles and high steer arms on tomorrow.

stay tuned..

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2019, 07:29:44 PM »
a glimpse of the hardware for the diff cover

lower bearing plates. nice and clean

and bronze bushings  :beercheers:

seal and bearing in place

studs in the knuckle

and here came my problem..

the bushing was .070 too tall. and the recess in the arm where the large washer rides was .070 too narrow too. so.. when i put the arm on it pressed in the bushing and didn’t allow the jamb bolt and nut for preload to work. so.. back to my machine buddy. he took .100 off of the top so that it can sit down inside the knuckle and let the preload bolt work.

but i managed after it was resolved. and it all bolted down. the axle is just slipped in to see how it looked/fit.

new spindle and old cleaned up caliper bracket mocked up..

now the knuckles are all bolted in place. and steering arms. all good.

the diff is just hanging on there for a color contrast. just to see. thoughts..?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2019, 08:06:55 PM »
Very Nice!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2019, 08:32:05 PM »
Great work. Hope my bushings fit OK. I can machine though if required.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 09:11:03 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2019, 08:44:45 PM »
Great work. Hope bushings fit OK. I can machine though if required.

i think they’re great now. i dry fit them on the pins. zero wobble. the biggest issue was the height. which has been corrected now.

still need to pump them full of grease.. but there is plenty  in there for now.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2019, 09:12:23 PM »
Fixed the "my bushings"

Will be my first front build, done several rears.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2019, 09:27:23 PM »
Fixed the "my bushings"

Will be my first front build, done several rears.

ohh. gotcha. i was about to say.. did i misread it? hahah.

just check before you grease it all up and drive the roll pins in. hahah. however, the tapped holes in the top make for easy removal. just check the diameter of the hi steer arm recesses and added dimension of the depth in arm plus the washer thickness. it’ll make sense when it’s all in front of you.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2019, 11:47:51 PM »
I have to get another set of high steer stuff for the DMax SAS, and rebuild the axle, get springs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Hey, I have the axle and the dmax!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2019, 07:56:47 AM »
the guy i’m getting all my square body swap stuff from just finished up a ford dana 60 coil over swap for a duramax.. just saying. and i mean the full kit. unless you already have a clear path ahead of you. haha

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2019, 09:08:35 AM »
He have a web site?  I’m toying with the idea of a sas on the LB7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2019, 09:35:57 AM »
precision fabrication plus

spendy, but the stuff i’ve gotten from him so far has been amazing. everything is 2nd to none. and he’s an amazing guy. when you call. he’s the one that answers. incredibly knowledgeable and friendly

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
3+3 2500
« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2019, 09:45:51 AM »
precision fabrication plus

spendy, but the stuff i’ve gotten from him so far has been amazing. everything is 2nd to none. and he’s an amazing guy. when you call. he’s the one that answers. incredibly knowledgeable and friendly
They have an Instagram account

https://precisionfabricationplus.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Frdp-xtreme-73-91-gm-dana-60-hd-high-steer-system&page=1&sortOption=descend_by_price
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 09:56:08 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2019, 09:52:21 AM »
yessir. they do. definitely worth browsing through.

hope i’m not overstepping any sort of bounds by ‘advertising’ him on here. please delete if i am. my apologies

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2019, 11:00:31 AM »
Is that $5200 kit complete with shocks and axle or just the brackets.  Hard to tell from the IG page

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2019, 11:09:22 AM »
I think it’s without axle.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2019, 12:12:57 PM »
Funny, the guy I got my axle from was touting that guy big time. Even wanted me to go up to the shop but I didn't have time.

He had nothing but good to say about the guy, but was up front he was pricey.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2019, 01:45:17 PM »
It would appear precision is outsourcing from quite a few different manufacturers then adding their mark up. If you want to save some coin you can do as JR is doing and source components yourself. My 2 cents
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2019, 04:27:35 PM »
Yeah I’m just kicking tires right now. I do like the idea of a link set up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2019, 04:30:59 PM »
Still sticking with leafs

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2019, 05:15:05 PM »
I like the grey cover. (I think that was the original question?)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal