Hello Guest

Author Topic: All Terrain Tires for the Duramax  (Read 29239 times)

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: All Terrain Tires for the Duramax
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2017, 01:22:41 AM »
Reviving an old thread to give an update... my Cooper ATPs are junk. Ken was right. They've been balanced 3 times in 2 weeks, still shakes like a b**** at 45-50mph. Finally the tech today said they're in balance, but appear to be out of round.

Luckily they've got a 55k mile warranty, so I'll get most of my money back.

Now, what to get to replace... my options at Discount Tire are really the Terra Grap G2 or the BFG KO2. Can't wait for a special order, have a big camping trip coming up and leaving this weekend. Leaning Nitto since it has a 50k mile warranty, no tread warranty on the BFGs. As soon as this next set wears out, I'm going back to Toyo, but can't do it now since DT doesn't carry them.

What do you guys think... Nitto over BFG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2017, 04:14:52 AM »
I have the ATP on the 1500 sub, but selling it. Discount here sure likes em.

Now my Cooper STTs are doing great. Still around 1/4+ tread on em so it looks like next year for new ones. However I will go AT this time. Between the noise and the wear I want more.

As for Nitto vs BFG. My nittos wore out fast, like Toyos better. Haven't BFG in a long time (price)
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2017, 05:43:11 AM »
Reviving an old thread to give an update... my Cooper ATPs are junk. Ken was right. They've been balanced 3 times in 2 weeks, still shakes like a b**** at 45-50mph. Finally the tech today said they're in balance, but appear to be out of round.

Luckily they've got a 55k mile warranty, so I'll get most of my money back.

Now, what to get to replace... my options at Discount Tire are really the Terra Grap G2 or the BFG KO2. Can't wait for a special order, have a big camping trip coming up and leaving this weekend. Leaning Nitto since it has a 50k mile warranty, no tread warranty on the BFGs. As soon as this next set wears out, I'm going back to Toyo, but can't do it now since DT doesn't carry them.

What do you guys think... Nitto over BFG?

I'd go for the Nitto just because of the warranty.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2017, 06:27:21 AM »
Nitto and toyo are made by the same company iirc. I like the G2s I have on the LB7. A bit softer than the exo grappler I have on the Dually. I'd look at the exo if you spend anytime off-road. Terra if you are just pounding pavement.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2017, 07:42:31 AM »
I currently have Toyo Open Country on mine and will need to change them out in a couple of months. I'm a pavement pounder so I don't need the lugs. They started with 16.67mm of tread and now they are at a little under 6mm with only 29,000 miles. That is terrible in my book for easy driving on pavement.

I will be going back to BFG T/A KO2 305/65R18  $340.97 per tire but right now until end of December they have a mail in rebate of $60 for the set. Still expensive but if I can get 45,000 mile out of them vs 30,000 on the Toyo and much less squirm and road noise I think I will be happier. Before the Toyo's I always ran BFG's and was happy with them.

:likebutton:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2017, 08:05:07 AM »
I have the BFG ko2 on mine. Tire rack website 843 a set delivered.  I run 265's on mine.  About 20 K on them so far and they are holding up good.  I live close to the distribution center so I saved shipping also.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2017, 08:18:22 AM »
I'm currently running The Mastercraft Courser AXT.  they do have a 50k warranty in the "E" range and if I remember correctly, they were under $200 per tire.  I have had them on for roughly 2 years now and pulled trailer from tx up to wa and still have more than half tread left.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2017, 08:39:19 AM »
I'm currently running The Mastercraft Courser AXT.  they do have a 50k warranty in the "E" range and if I remember correctly, they were under $200 per tire.  I have had them on for roughly 2 years now and pulled trailer from tx up to wa and still have more than half tread left.

Nate, how are they for noise? I am impressed they have a 50k warranty now, however back in the day they were some loud tires and always seemed to get louder as they wore.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2017, 10:35:15 AM »
Nitto and toyo are made by the same company iirc. I like the G2s I have on the LB7. A bit softer than the exo grappler I have on the Dually. I'd look at the exo if you spend anytime off-road. Terra if you are just pounding pavement.

Nitto and Toyo are the same company. They both have the same angled belting that makes them ride smoother, and the nitto's have a rep for better tread life. (used to sell toyos at les schwab back in the day). my $0.02
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2017, 10:50:27 AM »
Here's the tire I settled on. Will install them before winter

Price just can't be beat and great reviews

Radar tire

http://www.ntwonline.com/Radar-Renegade-R7-MT-C4197.aspx
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2017, 10:55:01 AM »

Nope disapproved... cause of some reason or another, you know sciency type reasons.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2017, 11:07:57 AM »

Nate, how are they for noise? I am impressed they have a 50k warranty now, however back in the day they were some loud tires and always seemed to get louder as they wore.

truthfully they are pretty quiet
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2017, 11:19:23 AM »

Nope disapproved... cause of some reason or another, you know sciency type reasons.
Disapproved?!?

Now what am I gonna do ;-)

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2017, 12:05:58 PM »
Well, only 2 were "bad", and so they won't warranty the other too. So it would have been 750 bucks to go to the BFGs or 650 to get into the Nittos. Not happening, so they're going to warranty the 2 ATPs for basically nothing. I've still got 14/32 tread, and the new ones are 17/32.

When these wear out, I'm going back to Toyos

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2017, 12:09:18 PM »
And there it is.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2017, 12:22:02 PM »
So I will be in tomorrow for my SIXTH visit in a month to DT. Back to Schwabs after this nonsense

NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2017, 04:38:15 PM »
I think quality issues know, no borders

I have two Toyos that will not balance, and now go "rump-rump-rump" down the road

Good thing about owning aggressive mud tires, and a real locker, and going off road quite a bit is that the tires don't last long which keeps fresh sets cycling in on a regular basis

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2017, 05:09:47 PM »
Don't know if they make them in your size, I'm running Toyo M-55's.
Tough as nails, I'm on a lot of crushed rock.

My old set, has 70ish k miles on them. They are not done, likely 1/4" tread left.
I switched them out for winter with a new set, and seemingly forgot to put them back on this spring.

To put it in perspective, I totally killed a set of Terra's in 35-40k miles.
Now, having said that, they were my go to's until I was tipped to the M-55's.

As a pavement queen, you likely don't need this type of tough, but they are just that.
Noisier than the Terra's, but not as bad as any MT.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2017, 05:30:40 PM »
Bummer about the Cooper's Kyle.... I really like my A/T3's - but I don't put on as many miles as most of you (8000+/- in the last 2 years).

Meet up and swap you tires/wheels for the trip?? ;)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 05:31:28 PM by rpar86 »
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2017, 05:34:55 PM »
Don't know if they make them in your size, I'm running Toyo M-55's.
Tough as nails, I'm on a lot of crushed rock.

My old set, has 70ish k miles on them. They are not done, likely 1/4" tread left.
I switched them out for winter with a new set, and seemingly forgot to put them back on this spring.

To put it in perspective, I totally killed a set of Terra's in 35-40k miles.
Now, having said that, they were my go to's until I was tipped to the M-55's.

As a pavement queen, you likely don't need this type of tough, but they are just that.
Noisier than the Terra's, but not as bad as any MT.

TOYO M-55's, aka toughest tire known to man! I've seen sets of those go 80k. absolutely have nothing negative to say because the road noise just reminded me how much lug was left. sipe the center treads and watch out. not much sidewall flex for airing down and muddin' but for a working tire or for driving in conditions that you're in Sam, there's nothing better. They are, however, not cheap. The biggest they make is roughly 33", but they do come in 17 and 18" rim diameters.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2017, 05:48:03 PM »
I surely can't complain about them.
I think had I swapped old ones on this spring I'd be around 80 on them now.
It's too late for this year now, but I do plan to see how far I can torture them.

Never did sipe the centers, and maybe should, but I'd hate to compromise the tough.

The size choices are limited, so that will be a problem for some.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2017, 06:04:19 PM »
Just sipe the center treads, outer lugs protect them from spalling, and increases their wet pavement performance like a million percent. I had the local newspaper van fleet maintenance account back in the day and in WA we can run studded tires since we just throw sand at snow and ice. all the e350 van's were running siped and studded m55's and I shot myself in the foot because rather than replacing all their tires every other year it was more like every 5 years after that.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2017, 07:20:14 PM »
The M55s are what all the oil field hands run. The shop back home sells quite a lot of them because of their ability to not be destroyed by all kinds of crappy roads. If I was on dirt more than pavement or even half and half that would be a solid tire choice.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2017, 08:54:36 PM »
I was planning on getting a set of ATP's when my current tires wear out. Guess I'll reconsider. I'd like a set made it the USA but those are getting harder to find.

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2017, 09:24:37 PM »
I have the new Nitto Ridge Grapplers on the Excursion and I freakin love them! Quiet, smooth but have enough bite

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2017, 09:50:04 PM »
Those look nice, around $300 for a 35 incher though.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2017, 11:05:10 PM »
Kyle I'm surprised at DT in your area.  Mine has always been awesome.  I even had michelin pilot sports on a benz that were $1600+ per set and in 2000 miles my alignment guy could not get the car to stop pulling left.  He thought it might have been a bad belt in the front tires and DT warrantied the 2 fronts at no costs.  It didn't fix it but they still took care of it.

I have a dozen stories like that, which is why I keep going back.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2017, 11:35:50 AM »
Kyle I'm surprised at DT in your area.  Mine has always been awesome.  I even had michelin pilot sports on a benz that were $1600+ per set and in 2000 miles my alignment guy could not get the car to stop pulling left.  He thought it might have been a bad belt in the front tires and DT warrantied the 2 fronts at no costs.  It didn't fix it but they still took care of it.

They're nice enough guys, but 6 times in a month to determine 2 tires are bad, replace them, and I still have to pay money is crap. I've prob burned a tank of diesel just driving back and forth. Not to mention the bozo that "re-balanced" them told me they were perfect, and when I called him out and said no way, it shakes like crazy, he punted and told me and it was the suspension. Which of course Schwabs laughed at when I took it down there.

I'm going back to the Toyo A/Tii or the new R/T next.

NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2017, 12:12:55 PM »
I really like the Nittos I have now, compared to the mud grapplers I took off...never had a balance issue at all (had both over 110 mph), but they just aren't meant for city driving. .. it looks like I'm only going to get about 30k out of them. I have learned that with these heavy trucks, going around corners really easy extends the life quite a bit, even without a hardcore locker like Don's.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Tommy13

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2017, 12:01:46 AM »

They're nice enough guys, but 6 times in a month to determine 2 tires are bad, replace them, and I still have to pay money is crap. I've prob burned a tank of diesel just driving back and forth. Not to mention the bozo that "re-balanced" them told me they were perfect, and when I called him out and said no way, it shakes like crazy, he punted and told me and it was the suspension. Which of course Schwabs laughed at when I took it down there.

I'm going back to the Toyo A/Tii or the new R/T next.

Kyle the R/T is a good tire. Loved them on my 2013 Ram Cummins. 
Exodus 14:14

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2018, 08:27:43 AM »
I currently have Toyo Open Country on mine and will need to change them out in a couple of months. I'm a pavement pounder so I don't need the lugs. They started with 16.67mm of tread and now they are at a little under 6mm with only 29,000 miles. That is terrible in my book for easy driving on pavement.

I will be going back to BFG T/A KO2 305/65R18  $340.97 per tire but right now until end of December they have a mail in rebate of $60 for the set. Still expensive but if I can get 45,000 mile out of them vs 30,000 on the Toyo and much less squirm and road noise I think I will be happier. Before the Toyo's I always ran BFG's and was happy with them.

:likebutton:

Update on the Toyo's. I pulled them off on Friday with 4mm left on tread after 39946 miles. I can't say I was too impressed with them for the cost and my use which is pretty much snow and ice pavement daily driver. I also had them siped and they were not that great on snow and ice.

I had BFG KO2's put on. 305/65R 18 at Discount Tire instead of more Toyo's so we will see how they do. One odd thing I noticed was that the BFG's have 15/32 (~12mm) tread new. The Toyo's had 21/32 (16.7mm)advertised but checking my notes on the Toyo's after 2614 miles they were at 15mm and 13mm front and back. So Toyo starts off with more meat but seemed to wear the first few mm off pretty quick. we will see how the BFG's last. Hopefully I get more than 40K on them.

We had 10 inches of snow this weekend and roads were snow and ice this morning coming into work. The BFG's gripped so much better. I could actually stop on the ice.  :likebutton:
Mike

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2018, 10:18:20 PM »
Picture for ref please!

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2018, 08:21:45 AM »
Picture for ref please!

Here are the new BFG's. I don't have pics of the old Toyo's. They kept them at the Discount Tire shop.

Mike

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2018, 09:58:03 AM »
What’s the load rating on those bfg’s? Just curious I always thought of them as a light duty tire.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2018, 10:55:08 AM »
You can get them in load range E,

I had envisioned the km2s like Don went with.    I have heard nothing but good things from the Bfg Ats.   I won’t deviate from those again #nittonothappy

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2018, 11:26:12 AM »
The All Terrain have changed and I heard mixed reviews about them.

I am getting close to a new set again, will go with 37s this time with a gear change. Still have almost a 1/4 on the rear, more on the front.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2018, 11:12:56 PM »
What’s the load rating on those bfg’s? Just curious I always thought of them as a light duty tire.
These are load rating E. Max load of 3525 which is more than the Toyo’s I just took off.

These are so much quieter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2018, 11:19:25 PM »
Thats the biggie next time. I would love quieter tire but love the traction of the muds.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2018, 07:16:00 AM »
I have had lots of good luck with Firestone this past few years. I have transforce A/T on my duramax. Not very aggressive though. I had Firestone Destination A/T on the farm truck. Not as aggressive as BFG A/T but they get around really good. Mud, snow, ice whatever. They wear really good too. No complaints.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2018, 09:09:04 AM »
These are load rating E. Max load of 3525 which is more than the Toyo’s I just took off.

I'd be so very interested in seeing how these BFG AT's behave over time.

I would have had them installed when I picked up the MT's except for

1. The fact that I am driving in mud or off road every week

2. The less that 1/2" of tread depth

Shallow tread has nothing to do with deep mud traction. and that grizzly locker of mine (Which I love and btw, thanks again Tate!) eats tires for breakfast lunch and dinner!

Please keep us posted.

I'm thinking a monthly reading and assessment should work nicely...So...Git er done!

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2018, 04:01:14 PM »

I'd be so very interested in seeing how these BFG AT's behave over time.

I would have had them installed when I picked up the MT's except for

1. The fact that I am driving in mud or off road every week

2. The less that 1/2" of tread depth

Shallow tread has nothing to do with deep mud traction. and that grizzly locker of mine (Which I love and btw, thanks again Tate!) eats tires for breakfast lunch and dinner!

Please keep us posted.

I'm thinking a monthly reading and assessment should work nicely...So...Git er done!

You got it! :beercheers:
Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal