Hello Guest

Author Topic: discussion of Easter timeline  (Read 1008 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
discussion of Easter timeline
« on: April 12, 2020, 08:25:35 PM »
Howdy boys.  Anyone ever think about how he was supposedly crucified on Friday and raised on a Sunday when he was in the ground 3 days and 3 nights?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: discussion of Easter timeline
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 08:48:28 PM »
Howdy boys.  Anyone ever think about how he was supposedly crucified on Friday and raised on a Sunday when he was in the ground 3 days and 3 nights?

I've thought about it

Here's what I come up with

Christmas is not the day Jesus was born, it seems no one can point to the real day, although September seems to be popular. Dec 25th became Christmas because a pope from antiquity decided we Christians needed holidays like the Jews have.

Easter as we celebrate it is also something man, in the person of a pope, came up with.

These popes from the early Roman Catholic church got a lot of stuff wrong, or just made it up as they went along it seems to me. Even some of the sacred statues and symbols adopted by the church were just repurposed statues of earlier Roman Gods. Many of the symbols and dates seem to be highly questionable, so in this dirt floor armee copter jock's mind, why not compress three days into two.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 08:51:08 PM »
Because when it comes to scriptures the truth should never be compromised. A closer inspection would suggest that he was crucified on Wednesday and raised on Saturday, the high sabbath. It was the Catholic Church that created Easter to cover a pagan fertility ritual.  Remember the type set forth from Jonah and the belly of the whale

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 08:53:44 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 09:06:23 PM »
Because when it comes to scriptures the truth should never be compromised. A closer inspection would suggest that he was crucified on Wednesday and raised on Saturday, the high sabbath. It was the Catholic Church that created Easter to cover a pagan fertility ritual.  Remember the type set forth from Jonah and the belly of the whale

Good point about Saturday...Pope changed that one too!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 04:53:33 AM »

Charles, forgive my ignorance, but can you share the verses on the suggested timeline? I'm curious of the translations, also of the time in general considering, With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. I am not suggesting He was dead for a thousand years, but our understanding of time is what was created by man not by God. Does it talk about sunsets and sunrises as an amount of time? Do any of the words in the verse have other meanings/translations than days or nights? I am asking these questions because I of course do not know the answers, not because I am trying to challenge God's word. I accept His word to be true.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 09:00:23 AM »
Turner, my limited understanding is with men time is linear. Not the case with God, more like a big circle where he can literally be at any point in time.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 10:52:51 AM »
First off, I am by no means a scholar. 

From the understandings I have Jesus rose on a Sunday.   

John 20:1 Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance.

In those times the first day of the week would have been a Sunday.  Saturday would have been their day of rest and the last day of the week.

Most of the discussion about time is related to Creation.  There really was no debate on if a day referenced in the Bible was a 24 hour period of time or something else until people tried to explain the Creation story and how everything happened in 7 days. The issue with the 7 days of Creation being anything other then (7) 24 hour days is that everywhere else in the Bible a day is 24 hours. 

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 11:25:39 AM »
Not sure on the timeline for Easter. Sunday was made the day of worship for Christians by Emperor Constantine (IIRC). Rome at the time worshiped the Sun god, and by making their day the day for Christians, it made it easier for the populace to convert. The same is true of Christmas, 25DEC being a pagan celebration day, and a lot of the Christian symbology. Adopting all of that into our faith made it easier for pagan practitioners to convert, as there would be some familiarity.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 06:55:54 PM »
Not sure on the timeline for Easter. Sunday was made the day of worship for Christians by Emperor Constantine (IIRC). Rome at the time worshiped the Sun god, and by making their day the day for Christians, it made it easier for the populace to convert. The same is true of Christmas, 25DEC being a pagan celebration day, and a lot of the Christian symbology. Adopting all of that into our faith made it easier for pagan practitioners to convert, as there would be some familiarity.
You just learned me something!

I do recall Constantine as being the person who gave us "sun"-Day, and not a pope, I stand corrected.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 11:48:57 AM »
You just learned me something!

I do recall Constantine as being the person who gave us "sun"-Day, and not a pope, I stand corrected.

I have varied interest in history, and religion. I did a lot of reading back in my formative years before I settled in to full belief. LOL!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 08:47:00 PM »
I’ll report back in a bit with detail.  I want to get it right. I’ve been underwater the last several days with work. All the COVID stuff has our business on overdrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 07:32:52 PM »
This will come in a few bits and pieces. It is not intended to start an argument. This is not my site and I will not disrespect the owner. This is my own belief based on research and scripture. You’ll have to do your own research and come to your own conclusion.  Please don’t take what you’ve been told. Research for yourself.

First. There is no word Easter in scripture.  It appears in the King James Bible first. Easter was first created by the Catholic Church somewhere around 517ad. Discussion on why Catholics have Easter and the bunny is a subject for another time.

The word in Greek manuscripts, from which all translations are taken is Pasca. It means Passover. It’s used 39 times in the New Testament and always refers to Passover. 

Next. We are talking about Jews and Jewish holidays. Weekly Sabbath is Saturday.  However there are high sabbaths. 7 holy days observed by Jews.

Third. To the Jews a day is evening and morning. Gen 1:5

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 11:17:00 AM »
No arguments from me TR. I don't know how the term Easter came about, but knew it had to have been a decision made by the Catholic Church. It makes sense that a lot of Christian Holy days coincide with Jewish ones, Christ and his Apostles being Jewish after all.

It has always interested me how much man has been involved in our faith, starting with the council of Nicaea in 325, convened by Constantine. It makes me wonder how much of the story has been lost over the centuries. I'm not talking about the message, but the background, and adjacent stories.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 12:24:03 PM »
No arguments from me TR. I don't know how the term Easter came about, but knew it had to have been a decision made by the Catholic Church. It makes sense that a lot of Christian Holy days coincide with Jewish ones, Christ and his Apostles being Jewish after all.

It has always interested me how much man has been involved in our faith, starting with the council of Nicaea in 325, convened by Constantine. It makes me wonder how much of the story has been lost over the centuries. I'm not talking about the message, but the background, and adjacent stories.
One good way is to use Rocky's "Way-Back" machine.

But if you don't have one or it's in the shop, then translations from the hebrew and even the aramaic are, quite literal.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 02:42:55 PM »
One good way is to use Rocky's "Way-Back" machine.

But if you don't have one or it's in the shop, then translations from the hebrew and even the aramaic are, quite literal.

Yeah, but there are still a lot of works that have been lost. Starting with the destruction of the library in Constantinople, and then the policy of Islam to destroy works of Jewish/Christian origins throughout the ages. Losing knowledge is always a shame, in my mind.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
discussion of Easter timeline
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2020, 09:27:18 PM »
All true but manuscripts are pretty consistent. No sign shall be given this evil and adulteress generation except Jona who was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2020, 10:09:18 PM »
In Matthew Christ says no sign shall be given an adulterous generation other than Jonah who spend three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal