Hello Guest

Author Topic: Red diesel tank  (Read 996 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Red diesel tank
« on: June 02, 2022, 10:14:23 AM »
Asking for a friend
Fuel costs are on a spectacular rise
I am now hearing about a rolling brownout type of activity with certain gas stations in Kentucky
Ya, fuel shortages of diesel
Anyone seeing this or is it local to the Tuck?
So, this friend
Has accessibility to red diesel, farm fuel. Costs $.50-$.70 less a gallon
So he is considering running the red stuff

But he cannot legally use the agricultural fuel over the road.
As a side note he recently found out all the diesel trucks at the local high school mostly all run the red fuel!

So, back to my friend. He is sorting out a fuel system that would mount a 70ish gallon tank in the bed, then run that to a separate fuel system that plugs directly into the factory injection system at the engine.
Tank would remain with some fuel in it, the ULSD crap, but actually be powered from the "Aux" farm gas tank in the bed

He was wanting to know what the wise men on this forum had to say about that?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Red diesel tank
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 10:16:39 AM »
Tell your friend to share where he makes the splice and what hardware he used.  Some may find the research interesting.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 12:26:22 PM »
Everybody I know who run an aux tank in the bed of their trucks just have it gravity feed to the fuel filler hose. They only fill up from the aux tank. That, I think is the simpler route. You could get caught by DOT, though (how often do they check?). In AL, if your truck has farm tags, you can run red fuel, don't know if that applies in the tuck. If so, maybe just get your truck registered for farm use? Also, there are some fuel additives that can give highway diesel a red tint, but I can't recall the name. Had a buddy get popped once by DOT, but they let him go when he produced an empty bottle of that additive.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 01:05:31 PM »
Everybody I know who run an aux tank in the bed of their trucks just have it gravity feed to the fuel filler hose. They only fill up from the aux tank. That, I think is the simpler route. You could get caught by DOT, though (how often do they check?). In AL, if your truck has farm tags, you can run red fuel, don't know if that applies in the tuck. If so, maybe just get your truck registered for farm use? Also, there are some fuel additives that can give highway diesel a red tint, but I can't recall the name. Had a buddy get popped once by DOT, but they let him go when he produced an empty bottle of that additive.
The Alabama rule is exclusive to that state, I would say, not the tucky.
Gravity fed lines means that the red diesel will be all mixed with the main fuel tank pdq. Nature of our fuel systems is a continuous loop. So the four gallons of fuel that was just pumped to the engine was 85% returned to the tank via the recirc system.
Therefore the system we are discussing would have to be completely separated from the main one.
Now, there will come a point where no one cares.
That point will come when actual fuel shortages show up, not just high prices. They it will be a question of mobility and not cost. We will burn cow pee if necessary mixed with some KY bourbon, I'd guess.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 01:06:18 PM »
Tell your friend to share where he makes the splice and what hardware he used.  Some may find the research interesting.
Rog, Wilco

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 03:37:56 PM »
Your friend probably has a better chance of winning the lottery than being checked by DOT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2022, 04:01:54 PM »
Your friend probably has a better chance of winning the lottery than being checked by DOT

I would agree with this.

Now for the splice.
I’d do it at the factory connection at the engine.
Get caps made to the tank and plug onto the hard lines.
Anyone with aftermarket fuel lift pumps probably has these.
Your friend may have them if the air dog has been removed from their truck.
Or they may know a guy that can provide said connectors.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2022, 10:06:58 AM »
Not sure if you would want to and not sure if it would take the pressure. Could you use say the electric fuel tank slector valve from a 87 chevy and run a switch inside the cab if you would like to switch between the 2 tanks? Place it up by the back of the engine so it would be less detectable

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2022, 03:34:24 PM »
Not sure if you would want to and not sure if it would take the pressure. Could you use say the electric fuel tank slector valve from a 87 chevy and run a switch inside the cab if you would like to switch between the 2 tanks? Place it up by the back of the engine so it would be less detectable

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

He has been toying with just such an idea. Concept would be to create a manifold of sorts where the operator could select between sources. Set up in such a way as to completely isolate one system from the other. No return fuel contaminating the other tank.
Thought about making it a manual system, but electric is interesting. Aircraft parts should be readily available, as we do that sort of thing all the time in more complex aircraft.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2022, 05:18:15 PM »
https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/fuel-tank-selector-valve-94-97/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4uaUBhC8ARIsANUuDjV3mwJRKau5N1knkYrhW1tLEoftQ0YZkvp3GyvBRJnyGTpqRyI6yt4aAtCYEALw_wcB

This would seem to be the part to switch suction and return at the same time

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2022, 07:26:43 PM »
https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/fuel-tank-selector-valve-94-97/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4uaUBhC8ARIsANUuDjV3mwJRKau5N1knkYrhW1tLEoftQ0YZkvp3GyvBRJnyGTpqRyI6yt4aAtCYEALw_wcB

This would seem to be the part to switch suction and return at the same time

That's a good reference right there
so 97 Ford
Have to learn about this simple little valve
One problem to solve right out of the gate would be the fittings. Everyone uses their own design. Simple to possibly convert to AN 37 degree stuff, if possible.
Next, is the function of each of the ends of either "T"
If that works the way I think it does, then a pair of them may get the job done

Like I said, I'll need to first understand this cool little part

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2022, 09:40:34 PM »
The DOT men have been known to unscrew the fuel filter. It's just not worth it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2022, 10:17:41 AM »
The DOT men have been known to unscrew the fuel filter. It's just not worth it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Which fuel filter?
The one on the fuel pump? Or the one on the engine that is missing? Or the one on the hidden fuel pump?

But the caution is warranted

However,

As conditions devolve as I think they just may, and fuel availability becomes an issue, we could put nerve gas mixed with weapons grade plutonium in the normal tank and no one is going to check or care.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2022, 10:08:01 PM »
For a street truck like ours I agree the chance of getting checked is like the lottery. Rigs and other things is the target.

I have a 75gal tank at the Ridge, just need to plumb. I know we get service for fuel out here as the guy who helped with my pad uses red.

My "friend" has been eyeing a 70gal tank for the bed too, but would use gravity feed. Fuel in NV is a buck cheaper than Kali already. Plus here we pay well over a buck in taxes.

I like the valve idea shown above otherwise. However if you have a lift pump you are 3/4 the way there already. Hook it up there at the feed, you have 2 separate systems.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2022, 02:42:33 PM »
For a street truck like ours I agree the chance of getting checked is like the lottery. Rigs and other things is the target.

I have a 75gal tank at the Ridge, just need to plumb. I know we get service for fuel out here as the guy who helped with my pad uses red.

My "friend" has been eyeing a 70gal tank for the bed too, but would use gravity feed. Fuel in NV is a buck cheaper than Kali already. Plus here we pay well over a buck in taxes.

I like the valve idea shown above otherwise. However if you have a lift pump you are 3/4 the way there already. Hook it up there at the feed, you have 2 separate systems.
I don't think so bro

The lift pump setup my friend uses has a water separator and a big fuel filter. Once red gets in that it will be enough to contaminate the over the road ULSD in the conventional tank.

I think that ting pump could just be tasked to the red diesel fuel source as the ULSD fuel would be for display purposes only.

When things really start coming undone, then a fella with a setup like my friend would have with 150+ gallons would be setup for long stretches of time or highway with no need to refuel. 150 @ 17mpg = 2,550 miles of range. He only drives like 8,000 a year in that truck now so he's looking at 4 months between fill ups!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2022, 11:01:54 AM »
Well the whole point of this may be mute
and this is scary!
First of all, ag diesel which is supposed to be highly discounted, is $5.50 a gallon, close to the same price for ULSD at Costco.
But that's not the scary part
Southern States, our primary supplier of the Ag fuel for thousands of farms here in the Tuck CAN'T GET ANY! They are out of ag diesel...OUT!
Fuel costs are a good percentage of the cost of crop production. First is fertilizer which is three to four times the price of last year, and second is seed cost. The third largest percentage of the cost of raising a crop is fuel and the fourth is the cost of equipment (Tractors) and their maintenance.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2022, 01:37:44 PM »
Starting to Be real thankful I just sold me burdensome truck payment. 
No fuel means no construction, no construction means nothing to haul in or out, means zero $$$ for David’s revenue stream.

No truck payment means Dave can find other avenues of entertainment or sustainability for my household

Still in pure shock our government is doing this to the American people.  Where is the republicans twats that are supposed to stand up to this  communist party that is destroying America one day at a time 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2022, 03:03:36 PM »
Don, we don’t need crops. After all the old and unhealthy people they killed off the last couple of years we should have plenty of Soylent Green to go around.  All part of the grander plan I’m sure.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2022, 05:14:00 PM »
Dave’s not old enough to remember that movie

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2022, 05:20:21 PM »
Beef was rarer, I loved the furniture.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2022, 06:50:50 PM »
Dave’s not old enough to remember that movie

Doesn’t mean I haven’t seen it, Eating old people. I think Dons the main course then right?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2022, 07:00:21 PM »
Not just old people, those garbage truck unloaded to.

Conners vs Heston, pretty good.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2022, 09:19:48 PM »
Well while we are dotting….The Omega Man was another great one.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2022, 10:05:23 PM »
Yes it is, pretty good remake with I Am Legend.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal