Hello Guest

Author Topic: C-5 Galaxy  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
C-5 Galaxy
« on: April 14, 2016, 08:19:35 PM »
So had a trip today to western MA for work. I was north of Springfield. Driving home I went south on I-91 to get to I-90. Just before I hit I-90 (the Mass Pike) the road provides a great view to the east. And that is where Westover Air Reserve Base is located. Westover is the home of the 429th Airlift Wing which operates C-5 Galaxy aircraft. So just as I was heading south one of the Galaxy's was coming in for a landing. At that point the base is about 4 or 5 miles to my east and even then the freaking plane looked HUGE! They are big a** monsters! It was just slowly coming in on approach and it was just awesome even from that distance. I just had to mention it as it was very cool seeing it.

Of course that base also caused me to almost crash one time heading home from CO to MA (this was back in the 80's). I was on the Pike (so at this point south of the base) and some f-16's or something came absolutely screaming over the trees across the highway from my left to my right. It looked like they were clipping the trees. I literally about pi**ed myself. It was all of about 2 seconds and they were gone. But dang scared me to death. ha. They must LOVE doing that stuff! haha.

The Galaxy.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: C-5 Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 10:11:26 PM »
There was an air show in Tucson back in the middle of March, they had one of these there you could walk through, or go into the upper level if you wanted to wait in line. It is unreal how massive these things really are. I had never seen one before and even now as I think about it I'm in awe.

Considering the c17 or c130 I've had rides in and also looked at just before walking through this thing, no comparison. Someone said to me once about the 17, "half the load half the distance" in comparison to the c5... Now not being any kind of airmen nor pilot I have no idea how true that is.  Impressive machine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 09:23:18 AM »
It looks like a flying office building! Good grief that's a monster!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 10:58:50 AM »
those things end up spending more time on the maintenance tarmac than actually flying
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 01:56:42 PM »
I actually drove my truck through one of those at Long Beach Airport LGB.

They had the nose and tail ramps open, I drove my truck inside and there was a gantry crane within the plane itself, where they lifted the machine off my gooseneck trailer, and I drove on out the other side.

The awesome size of it was, well..... awesome.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 02:23:02 PM »
I actually drove my truck through one of those at Long Beach Airport LGB.

They had the nose and tail ramps open, I drove my truck inside and there was a gantry crane within the plane itself, where they lifted the machine off my gooseneck trailer, and I drove on out the other side.

The awesome size of it was, well..... awesome.

"So I'm driving inside this plane....."

"Wait, what???"

haha.

That's pretty cool!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 03:08:04 PM »
Well, with Travis just a stones throw from my house I see them all the time. I do hear when they fly, something always breaks.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 03:54:26 PM »
The plane literally made my truck look like a toy

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 08:03:40 AM »
We stuffed two Chinooks, some trucks and some trailers into that thing and went all aover the planet in them. Crappy seats upstairs though for the nice 13 hour rides.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal