Hello Guest

Author Topic: My youngest is asking to opt out of being taught about Islam, here we go  (Read 1164 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
So Samantha my 13 year old just sent me an email telling me they were being taught in school about the top 5 religions. She asked if I could opt her out as she does not care to read the Koran.

So I’ll update this post as it progresses however my reply went something like this.

“Sure, what do I need to do? Also for starters Islam is not a religion but a political ideology for the record.”

This ought to go well....... :tongue:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Good luck with that one Shawn!!

....man, my parents didn't have to face these issues.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
I must have missed the day we had to read about the five top religions & read from their holy books.

Probably just a coincidence too that they thought doing this to the kids at the age of 13 was the perfect time to be informing them of this crap.  :rolleyes:

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
In my SUPER progressive, aka LEFT as a Hillary supporter, high school, we read the OLD testament in my AP English class, in the King James translation. For an English teacher, and a woman, she was as conservative as it gets, and made sure to point out the differences between the Hebrew torah text and the "obviously terrible translations" from Greek to Arabic for the "abomination" that is the quran. If anything, this gave me a perspective of how incorrect they were and left me with a LOT more ammunition when it came to debating these idiots. It might not be a bad idea for her to be involved with it and gain more knowledge of their deceptions. Just my opinion from my very unique experience.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Ok, so she came home today and we discussed her options. I see two, first being she can opt out of it and have to take another assignment (writing a paper or something). The second option I gave her was to inform her better on what Islam is & isn’t and let her annoy the teacher to death with questions or statements. Apparently the teacher regurgitated some crap about Islam being the religion of peace. So Sam stated she just wanted the first option, she didn’t care about these other religions and saw no need to digest that crap.

So tomorrow I get to go visit the school office (I’m good in this regard as I spent way too many hours there during my education) & opt her out of this nonsense. Depending on how it goes I may question them on their logic of having this a part of the curriculum too. I am well versed enough on this crap stain of a religion to make some liberal very uncomfortable if need be.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
I'd love to hear a recording of this conversation... LOL  Knock 'em dead, Shawn!
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Wish you had a few fellow parents, from the same class, there on your side....just to show them it's not just you...but, I'm afraid that you are alone with your views, in that neck of the woods.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Ken, actually if I asked which I won’t then I could easily get a dozen parents to join. I’m guessing once I go in then a few more will as well.

We’re far enough from boulder & Denver that it is very diverse. Several of my middle daughters dads are preachers here locally and the church we go to that many others do as well has 4 locations here on the front range. Our Christmas service had a total of 34,000 plus in attendance (all campuses combined) & we raised over $400k at Christmas for our needy family fund. So we’re not all heathens here I guess.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Ask the school if they plan to cover the child brides and rape?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Or man love Thursday.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Also ask the school if they will cover the molestation of little boys and farm animals as being acceptable instead of their wives.........or how according to the koran women are to only serve as the carriers for male children and are ranked lower on the scale below farm animals?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Well, I was hoping I didn’t have to go down the rabbit hole that far..... you never know though

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Just trying to make sure you are fully armed
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Just trying to make sure you are fully armed

:beercheers: Thanks guys!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
There are two reasons I would suggest she take the class.  It is always good to have a better understanding of something we do no agree with.  Just because we do not like something/ disagree with it does not mean that we can not be knowledgeable on the subject.  On the contrary I think on this particular subject it is important that we are somewhat knowledgeable and not completely ignorant.  Now, I doubt that the teacher is going to be delving that in depth into this and quite possibly leaving important points out.  It really doesn't matter if this is because she is purposefully being deceitful or just ignorant herself (probably ignorant).  As parents it would be prudent to understand what is being taught and fill in any gaps.  This may require us to do our own homework on the subject.  Unfortunately we can not trust the education system to properly teach our children something.

My only question in your situation is weather a 13 year old is mature enough for either point and if it may just be best to pull her out of the class all together.  That decision is up to you.  I would suggest, before just deciding to pull her out of the class, you ask what the curriculum is/ what will the teacher be teaching about Islam.

The second reason is simply for a life lesson.   There will always be things we do not want to but are required to do.  We need not believe what is being taught, and even though we may not agree with the subject matter that should not in itself prevent us from learning the material and being able to regurgitate it for a test.  This does not mean that she should not ask thoughtful questions etc.. but there is no need to be down right disruptive. 

As Christians, our believes/ views are no longer the standard/ norm.  As such our believes are going to be tested more regularly and these types of situations will be occurring more routinely I feel.  I had a similar conversation with the pastor's wife and his daughter last spring.  At the time the daughter was a freshman in high school and taking biology.  They were learning about evolution in class.  She did not want to learn anything about it because Creation.  I gave the same reasoning for learning evolution as I layed out above. 

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
I agree whole heartedly with your position Bear. Couple background things, first if she had not had some first hand experience with this culture (she did at age 10 when we moved here into apartments in north Denver) & had I not already explained (what I felt appropriate for her age) then I might be less likely to intercede. I agree the teacher & administration are most likely ignorant of the subject. When have you ever heard “man love Thursday” on msm? The majority of the public have no clue, that goes for female genital mutilation as well even though it has become a larger problem right here in the US.

So there’s that angle I am looking at and then the aspect of her flat out stating her faith. Of my three she or her oldest sister Baylee have always been the most grounded in their faith. There is no question in her heart about Jesus. So when she states to me I have no need to delve into that other religion then I respect her decision. 

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 08:43:26 AM by stlaser »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
So mid morning I ended up in the principles office. For the record if you say “opt out” they immediately assume it is for testing purposes. So after explaining it was not we had a civil discussion. Which revolved around Islam & throughout I received the politically correct responses from the principle. After some back and forth she suggested that we have Samantha not participate in the Islam only section to which I agreed. I had made the comment it was debatable whether it was even a religion and her tell was when she closed her eyes but then continued the political correct avenue.

I had to then send the principle an email afterwards explaining my expectations to which I did.

The teacher sent me an email telling me she tried to call but could not reach me. She reaffirmed Samantha will not be participating in the Islam discussions and she would discreetly discuss this with her. Samantha also will not have any grades deducted as a result.

It also was confirmed this is a school district curriculum which I had commented on whether this was a wise choice given the age of the students and the confusing nature in general of the Koran. 

So it went as expected from my viewpoint. They don’t like it but are accommodating to every little thing under the sun and have to be here as well I assume.

Lastly, on the reply email to the teacher I thanked her for her understanding and appreciate what all teachers do noting I was not trying to make her job harder in the process.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 03:04:49 PM by stlaser »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
You were an honorable gentleman about the whole business. And either the principal had to put on their politically correct hat for you, or they were a professional as well.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal