Hello Guest

Author Topic: GM genius. Tow package w/o trailer brake controller  (Read 521 times)

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
GM genius. Tow package w/o trailer brake controller
« on: May 21, 2018, 09:57:56 AM »
Yeah, this grinds my gears. I had to install a trailer brake controller over the week because the geniuses @ GM didn't see fit to include the OEM controller as part of the package.

WHY!?

What's the point of a heavy tow package if you cannot delegate power to the trailer brakes?

Anyway. Install went ok. Got a Reese in there now and tested it out. Gtg
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: GM genius. Tow package w/o trailer brake controller
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 01:51:42 PM »
Up until recently they weren't integrated in the vehicles to my knowledge (my f150 has it as well as some trailer backup thing I have never used), a lot of them had the wiring there to plug in but the controller was always an add on. I've personally owned more than one trailer with hydraulic brakes and you don't need a controller for those either.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 02:17:13 PM »
I don’t like the factory controllers. I like my prodigy.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 08:21:53 PM »
At least they are PnP now, I hated plumbing them. I would rather pick my controller anyway.

What did you get?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 10:29:56 PM »
the wiring was all there, it was even tied into the battery for goodness sakes. why wouldnt they include one is beyond me.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 07:51:23 AM »
Up until recently they were not integrated into the trucks but they did have the wire harness all set up and ready to plug and play.  In the newer GM trucks many have the integrated controllers.  From what I have read in the 2014+ GM trucks if the integrated controller is not installed and you want to install one you will need to chase wires down.  There is no plug and play for those trucks.  That is just what I had read in my research.   No first hand knowledge or really even dug into it that much.

As for why it is not included.  There are a great many trucks being driven around and used only as grocery getters.  I would be willing to bet a good many more then half the trucks sold in the last 10 years were never hooked to a trailer requiring electric brakes.

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 09:57:02 AM »
Up until recently they were not integrated into the trucks but they did have the wire harness all set up and ready to plug and play.  In the newer GM trucks many have the integrated controllers.  From what I have read in the 2014+ GM trucks if the integrated controller is not installed and you want to install one you will need to chase wires down.  There is no plug and play for those trucks.  That is just what I had read in my research.   No first hand knowledge or really even dug into it that much.

As for why it is not included.  There are a great many trucks being driven around and used only as grocery getters.  I would be willing to bet a good many more then half the trucks sold in the last 10 years were never hooked to a trailer requiring electric brakes.

i agree on that grocery point. My 2500 series suburban has the controller integrated but then again, its not really a grocery hauler so much as a bad ass gas guzzling monster.
Equal Opportunity Hater

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal