Hello Guest

Author Topic: Spartan part 2, Suburban build.  (Read 16909 times)

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: Spartan part 2, Suburban build.
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2019, 10:11:31 PM »
OK, so who can get auto paint (enamel or acrylic) matched to a part I have for the Burb?

Want single stage, just touching up some stuff before it gets the whole treatment (might be awhile)

I found some place in NV, but they want $90 a quart!

(yes this is a double post)
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2019, 10:16:19 PM »
OK, so who can get auto paint (enamel or acrylic) matched to a part I have for the Burb?

Want single stage, just touching up some stuff before it gets the whole treatment (might be awhile)

I found some place in NV, but they want $90 a quart!

(yes this is a double post)

NAPA is who ive always taken stuff to. but i’m not sure i’d that’s just the one by me or all of them.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2019, 11:08:11 PM »
Not here. Ca has really shut all that down.

Even ACE was good, they are gone for mixer paint too cept house stuff.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: 1991 Suburban 2500 build and flip, again!
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2020, 07:14:17 PM »
Wow, been a year since I touched this, but off we go again. Not that I have any projects going, right.

Have to get rid of the 91 and get the 85 running again. Few pieces to go on the 91 and up it goes for sale, the guy who wanted it backed out. I will then address the rust on the pillars with POR15 and FG tape. Not a critical area, but need to look nice and be sealed. Also found the AC condenser was bad, so I picked up a new off Amazon for well under $100. Have what I need to clear/charge the system so hopefully good there. Also snagged another TB for it but still have new injectors and the spacer for it. If this gets its running it should sell easy.

May have found a k30 dually dana 60 for 85 too, will know tomorrow. Just 40mi away. The 10blt is just sitting there now so I will slide this in and worry about the little things a tad later. Started putting the new springs under it but need to drill the frame for the DIY4x4 mounts. I made a jig by cutting one side off the stock mounts. Only need to add a oil cooler and she should start right up. Should have seen the mess when I started it and forgot the OC was removed, got a stacked cooler for the 4L80 in now. https://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/d/woodland-dana-60-kingpin/7167981211.html

Most of this comes about now as I need the Dmax lifted with the new gears for the coming winter and the prop. Selling the 91 and getting the 85 going agian clears the driveway for all this, and about time I got to it also!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 02:34:05 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: Re: 1991 Suburban 2500 build and flip, again!
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2020, 07:42:17 PM »
Got the 60, in pretty good shape. Feels a little loose, but smooth.

Saw this and though of Don, 2 cyl gas and its green.

The yard was a pickers dream too. There was a nice little excavator I was eyeing where he had a dually parked. Lots of little dozers too, but few with buckets and no 6 ways.Only part about that was bad is the hay squeeze he used to pickup the rear blead out and crushed the dually bed side right to the FG well.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 08:43:52 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2020, 10:20:02 PM »
Where's the pic of the dually carnage?
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2020, 10:51:39 PM »
Where's the pic of the dually carnage?

Didn't get, the 60 was hanging and I was moving my truck for loading.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2020, 06:10:49 PM »
Pain to unload on a slanted driveway. Looks pretty good, will check the specs.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2020, 10:43:43 PM »
Pulled the cover and verified the 4.10 ratio. Was very clean inside. This had concerned me as the vent was open and pointed up when I got it.

Play seems to be in the spiders so far. Left pad shows a repair on the inside weld and the spring hole is elongated. I also need to make a spacer for the springs. The GM 60 is made for 3in springs, mine are 2.5.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2020, 11:29:57 PM »
Pain to unload on a slanted driveway. Looks pretty good, will check the specs.

You have a skid loader.....  :rolleyes:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2020, 11:31:22 PM »
Pulled the cover and verified the 4.10 ratio. Was very clean inside. This had concerned me as the vent was open and pointed up when I got it.

Play seems to be in the spiders so far. Left pad shows a repair on the inside weld and the spring hole is elongated. I also need to make a spacer for the springs. The GM 60 is made for 3in springs, mine are 2.5.

Looks horrible, send it to me and I’ll dispose of it properly for you.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2020, 01:20:21 AM »
Loader is 150mi away.

I am selling my other dana 60, mostly pulled apart. Should recoup some cost.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2020, 10:44:58 AM »

Looks horrible, send it to me and I’ll dispose of it properly for you.
I'm closer and need it more. Plus, you're a hippy.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2020, 03:10:38 PM »
And you carry around H and 100 year old pistols, pretty sure I win.....  :tongue:

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2020, 05:30:50 PM »
Maybe that’s why he needs the extra axle from haulin around all that H

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2020, 01:56:20 PM »
Offered the other 91 I have to a friend who has helped me out and had some interest in it. Needs a little work to run but will tow to his house.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2020, 12:14:07 AM »
On the dually 60 and the 14blt I am thinking of adding a small truss. In my day it was all under the axle. Now for clearance issues everything is up top.

Figure with the heavy engine going in and a small shave of the 14bt, trusses should help. For the shave, just looking at the basic like the barnes kit does. I already have a HD cover so would trim it down.

So looking for ideas for a basic truss for both axles. Just running leafs and I don't need all these crazy things you moslty see now. Guess I could build my own, but a simple weld on would be nice.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2020, 11:43:41 PM »
Hmm, guess I'm on my own for this part.

Since I have 3 setups going I got one of these puller/press setups. Yukon was over $500, this was $200 shipped. Quality looks good, now to try it out.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2020, 12:16:35 AM »
JR, I have the Yukon puller and it’s quality and used weekly.

I make a 13 bolt / 14 bolt cover btw. So what’s the plan for this truck? Typically Cummins equipped trucks aren’t off road rigs (No offense Phil). So that begs several questions, why worry about ground clearance and why bother trussing it? Are you planning on wheels leaving earth? Truss seams way overkill. Box frame and reinforce steering box area imo and forget about it.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2020, 12:56:21 AM »
I may wheel it some, but not the extreme you see on vids. Wheeled hard enough for riders to want out, but take care of my vehicles. Rubi is just stone throw from me, but never been in 30 years here. I think the 14blt will be fine, but a truss on the 60 can't hurt. Have truetracs front and rear.

Will be a commute and camping rig, prob no heavy towing. If I pull the body, I will box the frame. Did that without pulling the body on my 77 and just the cab was a pain. When the shop is closed in, should be easier then. For now the 6.2 turbo will stay put with the 4L80. Going to remount the turbo and setup water cooling. I have the 3rd seat which comes in handy too

Doing crossover and I have a 2x steering box already, frame plate and the truss. I have covers already (thx), got it all when I started the build way back when. I do have a set of reverse cut d60 4.56 gears someplace,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2020, 11:13:34 AM »
Hmm, guess I'm on my own for this part.

Since I have 3 setups going I got one of these puller/press setups. Yukon was over $500, this was $200 shipped. Quality looks good, now to try it out.

we let the patent run out, (hence the copies) then we ran out of inventory when someone scooped up a couple hundred of them at one time so now the price reflects air freight getting replacement inventory in. I would have gotten you a deal but $200 is stealing! hope it holds up well for you. I'm sure it'll be just fine JR, just make sure you have those rings snugged up before you hit the air. ask me how I know, lol.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 11:15:23 AM by EL TATE »
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2020, 02:06:35 PM »
Is that the spreader? Never used one before.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2020, 07:10:15 PM »
Is that the spreader? Never used one before.

Bearing puller, if you do it properly you can pull a bearing w/o damage. If you don’t do it properly it ends up in a million pieces. Don’t ask how I know......

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2020, 04:33:45 PM »
Pulling the 60 apart more to sell the other, but setup for this one too. Bearings, trutrac, 35 outers and yukon hubs. This dually axle is really clean inside.

Was looking at the DIY4x ABomb spring/winch frame system, would take a lot of work out of it. But they are 8-10 weeks out, guess my DIY4x front mounts and generic winch plate still have a home.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2020, 01:35:26 AM »
Got these threads all straightened out here. Merged this with another and closed the 1991 thread (with a link here)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2021, 05:11:27 PM »
Been doing a little on this. Main project on hold getting the Dmax finished, but this needs to drive first. Got a trip coming up I hope!

I did find almost everything to convert the 6.2 to serpentine drive. All it needs is the ac pump (new smaller version) and a pulley for the power steering. Running 1 belt will be so much better than all the intertwined belts now. Also found a dual thermo setup and kinda pondering going with a NV4500/5600 if it turns up.

This means I can run a better water pump and even a Dmax fan system, but will probably go electric.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 15, 2021, 10:23:24 PM »
JR, please tell me you are bringing that ancient diesel...Please! I so much want to see that thing and how a detroit diesel acts crawling around and pulling.

So I think I mentioned that Kat and I will be abiding in the camper. No room in there for anyone else, like the pre-ranger, so he can choose between going spartan on the inside of the burb or swinging open the rooftop tent.

Now here is where it gets interesting. That rooftop could hold two, as in one of you in a pinch. Additionally I also have the tent annex that attaches to the tent bottom that makes a room with a floor. That will keep two more dry and the chill off. I'll bring that if you all think you may need it. Caveat, Shawn is pinning all his hopes on stringing up a hammock stretched between my burb and his jeep. I want to keep at least one of those aforementioned spaces open to him and possibly his girl(s) just in case they need a better place to hunker down.

We will see warm days but chilly nights. Duane who was raised in Wyoming told me of snow on the 4th of July one year at night. Having done a lot of time out in the desert at night, but not there, I'll tell you the possibility for strong and possibly destructive winds is real. I have seen nights out there where I was in the only surviving tent out of 20-30 of them. Don't be surprised to encounter a sudden dust storm and 70 mph winds from virga from a collapsing Nimbus cloud.

Should any of that happen, my truck is wide open to any and all to get out of the elements.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2021, 10:26:48 PM »
And, I'm hammerin' down on asking who is coming, and who is pretty sure. I will need to order T-shirts, and Shawn needs to talk with the Dual purpose folks who are providing the maps. They can put the info of our hippy assault force out there so folks know we are coming inmasse, or enmasse, or "a whole bunch of us."

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2021, 11:23:12 PM »
My plan now is for the Dmax, newly lifted, running 37s with the posi rear. It is a solid rig.

As time allows I am getting the Sub going. Solid rig but still need to shove the truetrac axles under it.

Sleeping is no issue. I have tents, heaters and a cot and air mattress. My bones don't like the ground anymore.

Half of the parts I just grabbed are extra, big thing was the serp system.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2021, 12:37:57 PM »
My plan now is for the Dmax, newly lifted, running 37s with the posi rear. It is a solid rig.

As time allows I am getting the Sub going. Solid rig but still need to shove the truetrac axles under it.

Sleeping is no issue. I have tents, heaters and a cot and air mattress. My bones don't like the ground anymore.

Half of the parts I just grabbed are extra, big thing was the serp system.
Good plan
Our trucks sitting on 37's are very capable. The only issue would be tight squeeze spots or maneuvering around trees. Give us a little straighter path and I think we could just about keep up with anything.
I have noticed more spinning with the dura-trac looking tires. Not as much of that with mud tires, but mud tires only work for a short period of time, then get noisy, vibrate and get replaced. So far this Kanati trail hogs are amongst the best tire I have ever used.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2021, 02:42:45 PM »
I am due for tires, down to about .250. That posi in the Dmax is like a locker, both seem to grab all the time.

Sub is getting H1 still, we will see how they fair. Have cooper stt for the max.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2021, 06:34:47 PM »
Moving forward on few things. Installed a new plate cooler for the trans. It had a tube cooler about the same size which "held" oil in by design. Besides the plate cooler being so much better, it is solid mounted like OEM vs the dreaded through ties on the tube.

Batteries were null, so did a nice float/repair on the pair and seem to be holding very well for now. In fact the Burb almost started right up and ran great with just a few turns of the key.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2021, 07:02:48 PM »
That’s some good looking progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2021, 07:42:38 PM »
A little but got a little more done. Started working on the seats, you can't really call what is in there "seats" right now.

Have some 2 tone blue grey I got from PnP that look nice, but will need a little moding to fit on the rails (very little). Then sunday I got these pull out from a 88 that bolt right in. Not in terrible shape but the arm rests need work. Right now I like the 2 tone (son said sit in then to try out, smart kid who broke his arm)

Got a center counsole and the roof rails (just playing here), AC lines and little parts too. (fun when you have a like vehicle to go over)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2021, 07:48:18 PM »
Then just looking around on FB (dangerous) I found a set of 5 H2 wheels with tires. I still plan on the real H1 combo, but this will get me running now. Only 3 tires are really good but lots of tire deals on FB (did I say dangerous). Think they look awesome on Sparty.

Think I posted elseware, but I scored a new tire machine and balancer on FB a few weeks back. Got for the Ridge, but no rush getting up there right now.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2021, 10:17:32 PM »
JR, assuming this is trans trail duty?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2021, 10:26:30 PM »

Lots to do before I get to that point. First I am making sure a couple things are finished on the Dmax, then all out on the Burb.

Buy the way, not posted in that thread but my son and I are in for the trip.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2021, 10:30:16 PM »

Lots to do before I get to that point. First I am making sure a couple things are finished on the Dmax, then all out on the Burb.

Buy the way, not posted in that thread but my son and I are in for the trip.

:likebutton:

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2021, 01:36:29 PM »
Posted in my DMax thread but here it is with the new tires/wheels. Looks way better I think. Not 37s but getting there.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2021, 06:37:18 PM »
Well, I wasn't going to buy that from you JR, but now I may have to!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2021, 09:31:54 PM »
Well, I wasn't going to buy that from you JR, but now I may have to!

Well, this one is not for sale. Pre smog turbo is like gold out here.

Trying to find front spring bushings now. Stocks were to wide on the front for the mounts, easy fix. Issue is I cant find ones for the rear eye. Been looking for bushing by size but nothing come up (limited lists). If I can figure how to cut mine down might be the easiest. Flange needs to be .125 vs .250 and the bore has to be .75 to match the shackles and bolts.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2021, 12:14:10 AM »
I could have used the stock 7/16 bolts, but I have new HD shackles and rear mounts that all uses 9/16 greaseable bolts.

Front bushings were 1/2 to wide for the DIY4x hangers, but it all just came together.

Using the new DIY4x hanger bushings will narrow the front by the 1/2 needed. Then I machine down the same bushing for the rear spring, which keeps the 3/4 sleeve for the 9/16 bolt.

So by using the easy to get DIY4x bushings (#2004) and just turning the body down to 1.125 I get the 1/4 shoulder, the .75 bore and it fits into the spring end. This allows me to the 9/16 bolts and bushing in everything (I think the rear uses the same). The as is 2004 bushing fits the front eye without moding at all.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2021, 11:01:29 AM »
Clever fix!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2021, 11:41:59 AM »
Just ran into that on a blazer with rancho springs. There's a special set made just for them.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2021, 12:56:47 PM »
These are the DIY 2004s. They are $8. Other sets I'm finding are $20. What number/manf do you get?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2021, 01:14:26 PM »
What was your time worth to figure all that out though?
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2021, 01:50:47 PM »
I maybe spent an hour, then figured the trimming out.

Biggest thing is I wanted to retain the 9/16 bolt for all the joints.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2021, 03:32:30 PM »
These are the DIY 2004s. They are $8. Other sets I'm finding are $20. What number/manf do you get?
Same issue I had, with the larger bolt/small bushings, but I did find them.. just don't remember where.. possibly Energy. I know they were more than 20.00 tho.
.. and I think they were super lift springs instead of rancho. ICR

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2021, 03:37:10 PM »
.. just found the invoice . It might help the next guy. Basically $60 tho.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2021, 04:00:01 PM »
Looks like their Prothane. I see others listed when I searched the #. Each set is $25-50. 2004 # comes up as energy suspension for $16 each.

DIY are $8, but just for one and it works. Little more for shipping but I need a couple more bolts.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 11:42:48 AM by KensAuto »

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal