Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2001 Excursion Shop Truck / Family Hauler  (Read 8410 times)

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: 2001 Excursion Shop Truck / Family Hauler
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2019, 09:57:29 AM »
They used military axles, just not rockwells. Built a whole subframe and turbo'd it.
Mrap I believe. Modern 2.5 tons.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2019, 10:54:11 AM »
They used military axles, just not rockwells. Built a whole subframe and turbo'd it.
Mrap I believe. Modern 2.5 tons.

I believe the old 5 ton like ken has is/was the last vehicle in the military to use those axles?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2019, 11:08:08 AM »
big sucker

gears

can anyone do anything with these numbers??

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2019, 11:13:12 AM »
I’m sure Tate can
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2019, 11:57:54 AM »
should be a 60xxxx-x formatted number on there somewhere, usually passenger side axle tube. I haven't gotten anywhere yet with what you've got posted, I'll let you know, but see if you can find the BOM#
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2019, 10:14:08 PM »
Stumped me for a moment there with the pinion stuck into the ring/whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2019, 08:16:52 AM »
Stumped me for a moment there with the pinion stuck into the ring/whatever.

hahah. yea. looks alittle odd i know. seemed to be the best way to store it and not have it knicked up

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2019, 11:47:38 AM »
did it actually spline into the side gear? if so, you have a 37 spline tracklock d80 most likely f450 application pre 2005. any luck w/ the BOM number?

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2019, 09:48:27 PM »
Slight update and thinking out loud, I changed rear brakes a couple weeks back and that went smooth (rotors and pads) then decided to swap shocks. Only to find out the vendor sent me 4 front 5100’s and bilstein after some digging does not make a 5100 for the rear, only the front. So I ordered a couple lesser quality bilsteins for the rear.

A prior someone had swapped shock on rear drivers side at some point. Lost hardware and used regular bolts and nuts in the top mount. They had since seized and I spent several hours with an air operated jab saw trying to get that old shock out.

Fast forward to this morning. I have a passenger side front inner seal leaking like that’s it’s job. I have an 04 front 60 in my possession along with a set of reverse cut 60 gears in 4.56 (can’t recall if they are thick cut or not as I need to check again) but I’m pretty sure with the oem 4.30’s they run a thick cut gear and 4.10 / numerically lower carrier? My plan is to regear / rebuild the front with Yukon lock outs and 35 spline stubs. I’m leaning towards a spartan lunch box locker just to keep costs down. It will see minimal 4x use and with lock outs I don’t see a reason to buy a grizzly for few hundred more.

Any thoughts? Tate, feel free to voice your opinion as well if you see this. Thanks

Edit: after further thought and with spare parts galore I’m Thinking about keeping the outer 30 spline stuff and running oem lockouts even
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 11:49:07 AM by stlaser »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2019, 12:24:25 PM »
for what you're going to be doing, there's nothing wrong with the spartan and you've got ample misc parts to maintain 30 spline. this isn't going to be some zombie apocalypse vehicle, so just K.I.S.S.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2019, 04:25:03 PM »
Hell it still get better mpg than the burb lol

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2019, 01:35:04 PM »
Ok, so short update. Spoke with Tate at Randy’s Ring and Pinion. I now have gears coming for the sterling, front and rear install kits and a spartan locker for up front. Located a complete sterling 10.5 with Detroit for fair price locally. Trying to acquire it and then use Detroit for rear. If not I guess I’ll do a rebuild kit on limited slip in the truck now when I do gears.  Pics of the 60 front tear down coming soon.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2021, 02:46:30 PM »
With the cost of everything skyrocketing I decide to keep excursion. So I ordered new springs from alcan today. 4” lift in the rear while removing oem 2.5” block and upgrading to 3k# springs back there. Up front 4” lift oem weight which after taking rear block out should get me close to level. Dana 60 will go in up front as well as a regear and carrier upgrade in rear. Thinking newer oem electric locker.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2021, 07:47:15 PM »
So after further research I can buy the oem 2011-2019 sterling electric locker for sub $500 I’ll have to wire it in but I think that’s a plan.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2021, 08:59:22 PM »

Stripped this 2004 F350 Dana 60 down last night and removed knuckles / ball joints. I plugged the outer tubes with used shop rags and put cover back on then took it to sand blaster w/ fummins wheels this morning.

I then ordered the remaining parts to freshen up this axle and steering on the excursion. That came in around $1k and I already had on hand the Spartan locker, the gears (4.56 reverse rotation courtesy of Big D “thanks again” left over from some build he didn’t complete or build took different directions) master bearing / seal install kit, new spicer ujoints for shafts and Yukon HD lockouts. Obviously it goes without saying our own Tate @ Randy’s has been the go to for the upgrade components.

I’ll be keeping the stock 30 spline stubs, because I have plenty of spares. The new unit bearings coming are Timken and I’ll rob the new skf passenger side unit I just put on the Dana 50 a couple months back as the backup.

Tomorrow I buzz across the Rockies to pickup the new leaf springs for the excursion courtesy of Alcan Springs in Grand Junction, CO.

I spoke with Tate this morning and he should be assembling the grizzly locker next week that is currently out of stock for the Sterling 10.5 rear axle. The 35” bfg all terrains and 18” wheels I originally bought for fummins will be getting stuffed under the excursion.

I recently serviced transmission at 165K and flushed coolant. Only a couple specs of something in the trans pan. The front Dana 50 has seen better days though. It has a passenger side inner axle seal leak, worn out everything on steering and driver upper ball joint is a tad loose. The rebuilt Dana 60 should cure all of this.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 09:00:45 PM by stlaser »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2021, 04:07:04 PM »

So I put the front axle shafts back together with new spicer u-joints this morning and added a Spartan lunchbox locker into a spare Dana 60 open carrier to be used in the front 60. Went shopping in loft only to realize I’m short a Dana 60 master install kit currently. However, I did find a NOS set of reverse cut Yukon 4.56 Dana 60 gears Big D sent me several years ago after a project changed directions & he had them left over. Just what I needed for the DD upgrade!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2021, 05:18:45 PM »
So as I’m waiting so impatiently for the final couple of parts to arrive so I can assemble my axles it dawned on me. I have a Yukon air operated zip locker for a front 60 as well as a Yukon air compressor kit. I already installed the Spartan in a 60 carrier but thinking maybe I should use the zip locker instead? What do you all think, of course that doesn’t include you Ken…….

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 05, 2021, 08:01:08 PM »
For a DD i would go with the air locker. I've used the drop in lockers (rear) and the manors can be odd, not good for steering IMHO.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 05, 2021, 08:39:56 PM »
For a DD i would go with the air locker. I've used the drop in lockers (rear) and the manors can be odd, not good for steering IMHO.

My thought was it doesn’t matter, Yukon hd lockouts & part time transfer case.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 05, 2021, 09:27:40 PM »
I've had the drop in catch, then let got at odd times depending on power and turning. Sure with PT TC you know when you in and locked, but the air woun't let go oe snap on/off.

Just what happen to me in my younger years, maybe they have improved?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 05, 2021, 10:30:34 PM »
I've had the drop in catch, then let got at odd times depending on power and turning. Sure with PT TC you know when you in and locked, but the air woun't let go oe snap on/off.

Just what happen to me in my younger years, maybe they have improved?

Copy, I personally wouldn’t run a Spartan in anything smaller than a d60. I like the idea of putting it in and forgetting about it. With air it can and will leak at some point…..
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 10:40:35 PM by stlaser »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 07, 2021, 02:02:56 PM »
d60 spartan is nearly the size of a 14t grizzly. I wouldn't sweat it at all. with lockouts you'll be just fine. just make sure your driveline is well balanced.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 07, 2021, 02:48:25 PM »
And be prepared for an "interesting" ride if you ever have the need to limp it home in front wheel drive. ;-)
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 07, 2021, 05:42:24 PM »
And be prepared for an "interesting" ride if you ever have the need to limp it home in front wheel drive. ;-)
^^^ Sounds like experience talking ;-)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 07, 2021, 07:03:29 PM »
 :popcorn:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2021, 10:00:00 AM »

I have that T-shirt too :wink:

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2021, 02:23:08 PM »
There was a t-shirt? All I ended up with was a long night/early morning on a trail ironically call damnation in the SE Tuck……

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 08, 2021, 03:27:10 PM »
There was a t-shirt? All I ended up with was a long night/early morning on a trail ironically call damnation in the SE Tuck……

:laugh:
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal