Hello Guest

Author Topic: Dispersed camping with vehicle must have equipment  (Read 6738 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Dispersed camping with vehicle must have equipment
« on: May 12, 2017, 10:55:56 PM »
Ok, so yeah I've taken a 4x into the wild unknown and survived. I was 20ish, single and beer was the essential part of the equation. Did the same at ball state university many weekends too but somehow I think I was more prepared then than now! So fast forward twenty years and the plan is to do this from my truck with teenage girls and wife  :shocked:  & now you understand why I feel intimidated!

So we have standard gear such as tent, bags, sleeping pads & cooking equipment including some cast iron & a camp chef stove with griddle. Those with more relevant experience (I progressed to expensive bourbon on occasion btw so beer doesn't have the sustainment value any longer) what is on the must have list. For reference we're planning a couple weekend Rockies trips then a longer ten day trip end of June with camping in Yellowstone & primitive cabin in Glacier. On that trip we will mix in a couple of hotel stays on that journey too. This trip is at campgrounds for most part btw.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 11:25:26 PM »
One thing we always like to have is some kind of wash bin/pale thing. Something that can carry water if needed but is also able to wash your largest dish. We normally don't have to carry water because we often bring 20 gallons in our scepter jugs, so we mostly focus on the wash ability factor.

Some campgrounds have an area that you can wash dishes, but I'm not sure this is the case in Yellowstone because bears are mildly problematic.

You have probably done this or planned to, but air up your pads to ensure they hold air for a night or three. Test you stove to make sure it is still functional and check the amount of stove fuel you have before leaving...none of these are fun to deal with.

Oh and a tarp for unexpected monsoons.....nothing like getting up in the middle of the night to cover your tent with the rain fly on it.... thank big agnes!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 11:27:52 PM by wyorunner »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Dispersed camping with vehicle must have equipment
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 11:33:54 PM »
Couple of our totes that we store dishes / pots and pans in function in this fashion as a wash basin. Our plan is to bring a couple 5 gallon water bottles with us as we have a stand & valve for them (we have many 5 gallon bottles as part of our backup). On the dispersed trips we're also staying near water sources in the Rockies. One place I have in mind is at around 10k in elevation up near Leadville, CO.

As far as Yellowstone they must have a system in place for this as bear incidents in the campgrounds are non existent so they claim at least. We are staying at "bridge bay camp" for reference in case anyone has experience there.

Copy on tarps, fuel and air pads too

We picked up seam sealer for the tent tonight & plan on treating that shortly. Also picked up a nice canvas bag to store our fire cooking tools in as here at home they just hang in the shed.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 11:40:58 PM by stlaser »

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 02:35:11 AM »
Take a look at the Cabelas camp kitchen. Cooking on the end of a picnic table can be a pita. The camp kitchen gives you side table space for ingredients and finished food. This can free the table up for prep and eating.

Some people when worried about bears will cook at a different spot than the campsite so no lingering odors in the site to attract bears. (The joke is to bring a steak and throw it under the car in the campsite 2 down from yours. When you hear the commotion you'll have time to get in your vehicle and leave.  :wink:)

I would tarp the whole thing, just make sure you have serious tie down ability. Those late afternoon hail storms in the Rockies can mess your day up.

Flashlights for everyone for the evening run to the bathroom if you need it.

Give everyone journals to write in. In a year or two go back and read them. They are great re-visits. My wife just pulled out the one from our first trip together out west 25 years ago. It's great to go back in time....the kids will enjoy doing that too.

Other camp/vehicle necessities- bino's (for family trips I load up all my mini pairs for the kids), obviously tools, belts, hoses, and recovery gear.

I love DeLorme maps for seeing a larger swath of area and finding side trips to take. But some of the 4WD books (Wyoming Backroads) can be great as they will discern for you the easier trails from the hardcore trails- the DeLorme just shows a county road. But know that lots of those roads are easy dry tracks that any stock vehicle can do so don't be put off by seeing that they are dirt. But obviously some are really hairy too and that's where the trail guidebooks can be a big help. If I think of more I'll add it later.

Sounds like an awesome trip!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 08:08:16 AM »
Heavy mil plastic for just shy of the footprint of the tent(s) - this will keep you from soaking up ground moisture as you sleep.  You could also augment that with same size coverage of thin foam sheet/wrap that they use for fragile shipping or wrapping electronics.  Gives a little insulation and minimizes the knee cap crushing pressure of small rocks and roots while crawling around looking for whatever you can't seem to find in close quarters!  You want those layers smaller than the tent footprint so that rain/dew doesn't run down the exterior tent wall, onto the plastic and magically pool directly under YOUR backside as you sleep........swamp a$& is a rotten feeling!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 09:25:25 AM »
We have a small folding table for cooking & a tarp for under the tent. The journals are a cool idea, glad you brought that up along with the mini binos. Keep it coming, good stuff here & yeah a steak under another campers car....... :likebutton:

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 10:54:49 AM »
I generally only rough it now at home.
I have a large tote, containing pots pans wash pail.
Folding Coleman stove. All cooking utensils.

Sounds like you already have something similar to that.
I also tarp under, then add moving blankets on top for a bit of cushion.
I'm generally out in the winter, so it's insulation as well.

Have some form of day pack for all, water, sunscreen, but dope etc, and general survival type stuff.
All of my packs have a small hatchet, wind/water proof matches, various fire starter stuff (you likely can't do that in the park) rain poncho rain gear. A small disposable poly tarp, extra socks, snare wire, rope, flagging tape, an MRE or two...you get the picture. The larger ones have a ranger blanket or small sleeping bag. The main BOB has a jet boil and fuel. I'm packed to get lost or spend a night on the land basically.

Weight and space will become priority over comfort and volume in he end.
If you can't hump it, it does you no good.

I'll add more if anything comes up that triggers more thoughts.
The others have made some very good suggestions as well...especially the steak. :likebutton:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 10:55:32 AM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 11:05:55 AM »
I keep my vertex bag in my truck under the back seat, it in of itself is a very small bob (one night maybe two & survive in the woods). I'm not hiking in & out for any of this. I personally would like to do trips like that but the wife is not going to want to participate in that. My girls on the other hand would like the challenge & I think in the coming few years those opportunities will present themselves. Mental note, start acquiring gear for that now..... :wink:

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 12:57:20 PM »
Depending on how far and away all those are good.

Lady's don't like using the tree, get a bucket toilet with a bag. I also carry lots of wipes, the big ones.

(this has been on my screen since yesterday)  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 12:58:22 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 01:18:39 PM »

Lady's don't like using the tree, get a bucket toilet with a bag. I also carry lots of wipes, the big ones.

(this has been on my screen since yesterday)  :facepalm:

Heck, I'd prefer the bucket over the tree for some business. For the ladies it's a very good must have.
Baby wipes are definitely a must. Portable shower worst case.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 03:30:36 PM »
If you are in a primitive campground the bucket would be much better than a smelly pit toilet. Having 3 ladies along instead of beer drinking guys, the supply list will be at least triple.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 05:57:04 PM »
If you are in a primitive campground the bucket would be much better than a smelly pit toilet. Having 3 ladies along instead of beer drinking guys, the supply list will be at least triple.

Copy that......

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 06:38:11 PM »
I have the foldup like a chair with a regular seat and a bucket style that carry's stuff.

Heck, when I used to go out alone all everything i needed fit next to me in the front seat. Now with 5 of us, the truck barely holds it all.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 07:40:28 PM »
I hear you JR. Went from sleeping in a bed to hauling a fifth wheel that's larger than my first house.
Shawn, sounds like a great trip my friend.....
... you have lighting covered? My go to camp light is a Coleman dual fuel lantern....it takes white gas, or regular gas...and then I carry a small propane one for backup. I prefer a gas lantern because they're cheaper to run and you don't have propane bottles to deal with (unless you're camp stove is propane, then you can tie them together and run on a large/regular tank).
Bug spray is a must have..
Shovel for camp fire If allowed..
Rake ( to clear a place for the tent...all it takes is one freaking pine cone or rock)
Not sure if you're going to convince the family to leave electronics at home, if not, a cigarette lighter style inverter will keep laptops and such charged. I also carry a Rockford jump box under the back seat. It's strong enough to actually jump start a vehicle, and comes with every adapter you can think of, to charge phones, etc.(I know, so much for roughing it)
Rope is a must have (I always keep 200' of mule tape in the truck)
Oh, if you're hiking, in addition to a good map like was mentioned, it wouldn't hurt to use a GPS hunting/hiking style phone app, (unless you already have a GPS)and be sure the areas that you'll be in are downloaded before you even leave town.
Anywho, just some things that make camping a little more enjoyable.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 08:59:31 PM »
I hear you JR. Went from sleeping in a bed to hauling a fifth wheel that's larger than my first house.
Shawn, sounds like a great trip my friend.....
... you have lighting covered? My go to camp light is a Coleman dual fuel lantern....it takes white gas, or regular gas...and then I carry a small propane one for backup. I prefer a gas lantern because they're cheaper to run and you don't have propane bottles to deal with (unless you're camp stove is propane, then you can tie them together and run on a large/regular tank).
Bug spray is a must have..
Shovel for camp fire If allowed..
Rake ( to clear a place for the tent...all it takes is one freaking pine cone or rock)
Not sure if you're going to convince the family to leave electronics at home, if not, a cigarette lighter style inverter will keep laptops and such charged. I also carry a Rockford jump box under the back seat. It's strong enough to actually jump start a vehicle, and comes with every adapter you can think of, to charge phones, etc.(I know, so much for roughing it)
Rope is a must have (I always keep 200' of mule tape in the truck)
Oh, if you're hiking, in addition to a good map like was mentioned, it wouldn't hurt to use a GPS hunting/hiking style phone app, (unless you already have a GPS)and be sure the areas that you'll be in are downloaded before you even leave town.
Anywho, just some things that make camping a little more enjoyable.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks Ken, yeah I need a serious lantern. Camp stove runs off large tank so I'll probably tie it in & go that route plus I like pane. F150 has an inverter built in from the factory. I would have overlooked a rake too, great idea!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2017, 10:10:00 PM »
I got a nice folding rake from Lowes sometime back. Really nice you can keep it there without using a lot of room.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2017, 10:10:15 PM »
For running everything that uses propane we have one of them three plug tree things (sorry for the poor description, if you can't find one let me know I'll pull one up on amazon) that attach to the tank, then you attach your hoses to it and your devices. The on the top goes the lantern. We have some cheap Walmart lantern for that purpose, it is also in our chuck box....

Table cloth, something else we keep in our chuck box! Makes having a clean table, super easy. If you use a table cloth the little metal clips that hold the stupid thing down can be a wonderful thing.

Never used one of them camp kitchens always liked the idea though.

The journal, absolutely agree with that. We have one from years ago before our son came along!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 10:10:58 PM by wyorunner »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2017, 10:27:58 PM »
Copy on the propane hookup, I have enough "parts" laid back for preps I bet I can put at least one together if not a couple with extension hoses included. We have the picnic table cover & clips. We used to have a bumper pull rv so some of this stuff we kept. All good ideas though.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 01:29:57 PM »
I didn't see any mention of ratchet straps, but I use the heck out of them when camping. You can use them to hang a tarp, make a clothesline, hang hammocks, you name it. A lot more useful, to me, than bungees, and more durable. 550 cord in the BOB, as it's quite handy in a pinch. I've got a couple battery powered fans for the tent when it's hot outside. Bluetooth speaker for tunes, if you want musack. Walkie-talkies for commo if you split up your party for whatever reason. And I never go into the woods without at least my .357. Good for snakes (of the no and two legged variety), or putting food on the table if I have to. Of course be mindful of the laws of the areas you're going to.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 01:50:38 PM »
baler twine is useful to have along. Cut to any length needed and is fairly strong.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 04:18:59 PM »
Straps and twine are both in truck always, I have 550 cord in vertex bag too along with the .40

Wife carries her judge with copper plated home defense rounds, seems to do a number on rattlers........

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 04:22:53 PM »
Sam touched on it, but in the PNW w/ ever present threat of rain I always carry magnesium striker and Vaseline covered cotton balls in a film canister or small Tupperware. they burn like crazy and start wet wood pretty well. 
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 05:42:40 PM »
Vaseline covered cotton balls, never thought of that. We used to take lint from the dryer & put it inside of toilet paper rolls to start our wood burner at our farmhouse in Indiana.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 06:16:03 PM »
dryer lint, paraffin wax and paper egg cartons make great ones too. just bigger and tougher to keep in a pack

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 06:45:52 PM »
dryer lint, paraffin wax and paper egg cartons make great ones too. just bigger and tougher to keep in a pack
This, is ultimate.
I've never added the dryer lint, but just the wax and carton will burn for 10-15 minutes.
You can light about anything in that time.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 11:21:04 PM »
Uuuuhhhhh.....my ice maker in my RV is handy for roughing it. And a stack of styrofoam cups for my whiskey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 11:33:15 PM »
Now quit that  ^^^^

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 11:44:05 PM »
Whiskey always has its place on our trips :likebutton:

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2017, 12:15:30 AM »
 :knucklehead:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 01:05:50 AM »

Whiskey always has its place on our trips :likebutton:
And the ice maker....I don't have one either

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2017, 08:35:51 AM »
Jus sayin.  http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/small-portable-ice-maker-red/86347&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp86347&sc_intid=86347?utm_campaign=SC_Shopping_Low&affiliateid=6338&gclid=CJu9ltf19tMCFRC5wAoddoIGxg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lol...of course you'd have a red one Charles!
I have one similar but in grey.
Will be at the cabin soon for the summer.
Ice is a good thing.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 08:42:12 AM »
Actually mine is black and the larger model.  Had to do over again, I'd get the small one.  No real need for the big one.  that just hapened to be the one that googlefu turned up first.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 09:17:23 AM »
Fail, we're not bringing a portable ice maker...... :knucklehead:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2017, 09:52:12 AM »
I bet your wife would like you more if you did....

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2017, 11:14:33 AM »
Oh man, Shawn, you're going to need a bigger truck...lol
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2017, 02:30:46 PM »
I read most posts but for my scouting. The number of things boys always forgot

Tooth brush and body maintenance stuff

Garbage bags!!! Big ugly black garbage bags

I would suggest you lighten your vehicle load from cast iron stuff to the pans that are aluminum.  Save weight, clean up lots easier, you can't drop them and crack them.

We usually used a big tarp and rope to trees to make a wind friendly dry cooking area. 

Check your spare tire to be good, battery terminals tight and clean,

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2017, 02:32:25 PM »
I'll add our scout camper list. Most of the basics

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2017, 02:53:33 PM »

It's gunna take more than an ice maker..... :popcorn:

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2017, 02:55:45 PM »
I read most posts but for my scouting. The number of things boys always forgot

Tooth brush and body maintenance stuff

Garbage bags!!! Big ugly black garbage bags

I would suggest you lighten your vehicle load from cast iron stuff to the pans that are aluminum.  Save weight, clean up lots easier, you can't drop them and crack them.

We usually used a big tarp and rope to trees to make a wind friendly dry cooking area. 

Check your spare tire to be good, battery terminals tight and clean,

The griddle for the camp stove & a 12" Dutch is all we carry of heavy steel.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2017, 06:05:05 PM »
I like coffee tea bags. Great way to make a cup or 2.

Griddle is a good idea too. Carry one in my camp box (along with ice maker and blender)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2017, 06:56:59 PM »
How could I forget rope? Yeesh! I'm slipping. 550 in various lengths for a variety of uses. But one of the best things I did was get 4 rolls of 50' 3/16 or 1/4" nylon rope. I can loop one end through a tarp corner and toss the end over a high up tree branch to get the tarp up. A lot of the more used sites have had every low branch cut off and a lot of trees are a distance from the site. So I can get the tarp hung under almost any situation. Gotta have a good tarp. Depending on the number of people I might just hang it with one side high and one side low. With a ton of people and a bigger tarp I use one rope as a Ridge pole and then the 4 corners down lower for rain runoff.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2017, 07:51:35 PM »
Shawn, it must be a Texas thang, the icemaker. I thought they drank from a hoofprint. lol

Out here in the real world, we just pull some cubes out of the ice chest. :pokecharles

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2017, 08:26:50 PM »
Shawn, it must be a Texas thang, the icemaker. I thought they drank from a hoofprint. lol

Out here in the real world, we just pull some cubes out of the ice chest. :pokecharles

I agree, last time I visited Ashley he had a commercial ice maker at their shop & his home had an additional ice maker where a lower cabinet should have been

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2017, 08:33:06 PM »

It's gunna take more than an ice maker..... :popcorn:

And now you see the true genius of the whiskey.....It'll either help her like you more or make you not care.....

Ken, :stickpoke accepted.  Thanks for the PM.

Sean sorry I created a DOT feeding frenzy....

I'll try to be more constructive.
 You're smart enough to cover the basics  so here are a few added extras I like.
zip ties, lots of zip ties.
disposable packable ponchos
a portable battery pack for electronics (like a brick with a USB port that will charge multiple phones while hiking or away from AC power)
I like to carry some freeze dried mountain house food.  On the night of the arrival and set up people are usually really worn out and a quick boil of water will put food on the table in less than 10 minutes. You can cook the rest of the nights.
books.  Real books on paper. camping is, for me, a time to read a fiction novel.  I usually only read leadership books, history or biographies (or books by crazy piluts) but camping lets me check out for a while.
playing cards.  I beat my wife and kids mercilessly at rummy.
smore sticks and smore fixings.  Try one with a Reeses peanut butter cup and marshmallow between two graham crackers.....stupid good

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 08:36:01 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2017, 09:39:52 PM »
I like zip ties too, good idea on mountain house. No worries on the DOTing Kens mere presence has me assuming it is inevitable! :popcorn:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2017, 11:33:07 PM »
Hey! I resemble that comment.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal