Hello Guest

Author Topic: Fried AC unit!  (Read 2247 times)

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Fried AC unit!
« on: July 28, 2015, 08:56:26 AM »
Well, of course when camping in 100+ degree heat indices, what breaks on an RV?  Yep, the AC!  My friend, a professional dog trainer, leases a home, outbuildings and 16 acres from a HUGE operation Gas Company and Cattle Ranch near Lebanon, MO and I WAS , plugged into one of the outbuildings.  Second morning there, after overnight down pour, the AC breaker inside the trailer pops, reset and life goes on for awhile, then pops again.  So long story short, replace RV breaker with a 30amp one, as that's all was available at Electricians Shop, RV place and Big Box builders store.  Back in business until next morning after more rain, breaker inside the building blows!

I'd had unit services prior to trip to make sure AC was GTG and had called my reputable and knowledgeable Service guy and we checked out the volt inside the RV etc. and figured it was a starter capacitor going bad along with faulty RV breaker.  Well upon building breaker popping, we started checking out building.......holy s#%£!  -with power off at the pole, half the wires AND GROUND had power going to it!!!  We had a flashlight sized meter that buzzes and lights-up if voltage is present and it WAS.  Used volt meter to check things out. Breaker box was live, ground wire live, cut dangling wires outside etc. 

Suffice to say, the goober "in charge" is penny wise and dollar foolish!  Argued that nothing was wrong, until we got one of his guys to come out and verify how goofed up it really was!  Sitting here today watching the circus while "goober" has hired a licensed electrician to HOPEFULLY do it right.

Sweating it out "literally" waiting on final prognosis on AC unit repair which they hopefully get to today as I'm into day 3 of "waiting" to see.

So a big $ operation that "clears" the cost of a new pick-up truck every second of the day in natural gas sales, has a "goober" saving $ doing things "good enough" not able to see the long range cost of a wrongful death suit!?  Did I mention that the trainer has a nice setter he's training for the OWNER's son?  Yep, somebody's job is on the line here and I'm not thinking it's the Dog Trainer!

2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: Fried AC unit!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 09:57:07 AM »
Looks like a nice spot.
Too bad you're having issues.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 10:27:50 AM »
Wow. Dangerous and stupid.  Great combo. Hope they get your ac fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 10:51:53 AM »
Ouch!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 07:25:29 PM »
After waiting until yesterday am for the repair place to get around to it, the AC unit needed to be replaced.  Picked it up yesterday afternoon and hooked it up- cooling again for $800.......saved the old one to see if I can get a heating and AC friend to repair it.  Sadly, many things become disposable with designed obselecense - very few repairable parts on an RV AC unit.

Left the unit set-up, leaving Southern Missouri this morning to return there sometime next week- sure enjoyed driving down there, compared to the IDIOTS I live around in the counties of Government cheese and voter stupidity!  One clown cut three lanes to get to his exit infront of multiple Semi's and merging cars, AFTER flying up my backside in the far left lane, and I don't drive slow by any means.....would have been better story if he was in a KIA, but it was a Cheby Im-pailer....almost.

Would also caution those traveling on I-44, those triple strand cables dividing the lanes of traffic DONT stop Semi's.  Cresting a hill south of Cuba, MO I see a tractor trailer parked on the right shoulder- FACING ME!  about 150-200 yards past it, the wires are down with tire shreds on the left shoulder.  Must have missed it by a few minutes.....THANKFULLY!  Didn't see any other vehicles involved either.  Thankful I had to stop to say "goodbye" before leaving.  Remember, The Lord puts obstacles infront of us at times, for our own good- we just don't understand it at the moment of "inconvenience" often, whining and complaining.......thank you God! :)

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 08:21:45 PM »
  Picked it up yesterday afternoon and hooked it up- cooling again for $800.......saved the old one to see if I can get a heating and AC friend to repair it.  Sadly, many things become disposable with designed obselecense - very few repairable parts on an RV AC unit.

Those things are not very cost effective to repair. If it is anything other that a fan motor or start capacitor we junk them and replace with new unit. Prolly got a stack of 100 or so behind the shop for scrapping when it cools off some. Same thing every summer. If you were down in my parts I could have hooked you up with a new one installed on your site for about that cost.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 09:53:56 PM »
Thanks for the kind offer- I get the cost effective bit, just hate the "un-repairable" aspect of it all.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 10:11:35 PM »
No kidding. I use to rebuild chebbie alternators, maybe even throw a bendix on a starter occasionally....no more (even though it's good for my pocket book, it still bothers me....it's so wasteful)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal