Hello Guest

Author Topic: New to me Chaparral 1800 SCL  (Read 8137 times)

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New to me Chaparral 1800 SCL
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2018, 09:46:11 PM »

One, plus the daughters right...And I am not trying to rebuild a business at the moment.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2018, 09:47:49 PM »

One, plus the daughters right...And I am not trying to rebuild a business at the moment.

Yep, business has definitely dented the savings account this year.  :beercheers:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2018, 12:42:39 AM »
I am trying to keep the $$ to the basics, haven't really cleaned it up yet.

Nice is the fixes are easy so far and I have been around boats enough to hopefully keep out of trouble.

To be continued, still feels like the first day,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  :beercheers:
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2018, 12:53:56 AM »
......so don't rub it in too much ok.

You know us Bob. We would never do such a thing.  :rolleyes:
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2018, 01:01:31 PM »
I am trying to keep the $$ to the basics, haven't really cleaned it up yet.

Nice is the fixes are easy so far and I have been around boats enough to hopefully keep out of trouble.

To be continued, still feels like the first day,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  :beercheers:

I did some research and I have the same prop. Same motor, same outdrive. I'm 19' and 18" wider. with 4 adults and 4 kids on board I have two moms and two kids up front, dad and two kids in the back and me in the middle. trim all the way down, 3/4 throttle hole shot and I'm up on plane in about 5-10 seconds depending on wind and current. couldn't be happier with it, but I'd like to be able to plane w/ less throttle, and have thought about fin, but think trim tabs that don't weaken the outdrive structure might be better suited, especially for me in the heavy chop sometimes. it's no fun when the back end crests a dip at full throttle and RPMs scream at you for that split second.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2018, 07:53:58 PM »
Sounds like I'm on the right tract then. Picked up the oil change stuff last night, dang that killed a C note fast!

Maybe a little better throttle management is in order it the drive is coming out of the water at full throttle? Adjustable trim plates will help you get it up, they make auto also.

Some fins can be bolted onto the outdrive without drilling. The 4 holes most use will not weaken the outdrive, but the outdrive will push up on the stern just like trim tabs.

Do you trim once up on plane?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2018, 08:47:10 PM »

JR, I don't think he is talking about the drive moving up any, it is the hole in the water he hits that causes the rpm to rise. Up here we do fight swells quite often in the salt water.
As far as the tabs vs the bolt on fin, fins are cheaper and easier to attach. The tabs are more work to bolt on and set up. Fins do however put more strain on the lower unit as it was not made to handle the extra force being applied. I installed the auto adjust tabs on mine and they work very nicely for what they were designed to do. My new boat , well it will get the electric tabs installed this week by the dealer. Gives a bit more control to even out the boat depending on how it is loaded as you can adjust side to side. Water conditions, well with more wind chop, you can force the nose down and drive through it, Heavy swell, you just slow down and try to enjoy the ride best you can. Glad you got the new prop, get out there and try it out and let us know how it does.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2018, 09:20:00 PM »
I agree with all that Bob.

When I worked we were in the SF bay often, swells 4-6 ft where common.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2018, 10:34:21 AM »
Yes, all of that. Running quick while cresting a good size swell and the back end exits for just a second or comes close to the surface and cavitates. I trim after getting up on plane, nose up a couple degrees helps w/ speed and control, and prevents the nose from dipping below the swell lines when it drops back down.

Side note; I might just leave the trim tab and fin thing alone with that information. (for me, not you JR). with smaller sections of wood being suspect, I don't want to strain the transom more than I have to. We really try not to run in bad weather anyhow.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2018, 01:19:26 PM »
Think trim tabs would place little stress on a good transom. They spread the load so much but are the pricier fix of the 2.

Compared to a fin that places stress on the outdrive, which could lead to a very pricey issue.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2018, 04:33:25 PM »

Tate, unless you have a hard time getting on plane I wouldn't install either. Only reason I installed tabs on my boat was because I struggled on startup while crabbing or shrimping with boat load of people and gear. If you are able to pull skier or tubes and not have trouble when 4 adults and children are in the boat I think you are golden just the way you are set up now.

If you think you may have some weak spots in the transom, you could/should find out for sure and repair if needed. If there is water getting to the wood inside the glass, it doesn't dry out since the air doesn't ever get to it. You don't need problems 2 miles off the beach some day because a weak spot gave up.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2018, 06:11:09 PM »
I found your new screw JR
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2018, 09:46:01 AM »
That's the original "Air Screw" from Leonardo Divinci's Steam "Aerial Helicoptoler"

Amazing piece of engineering for the time!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2018, 02:18:06 PM »
I bet a even a 46 could not lift that chunk of brass.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2018, 12:14:38 PM »
I bet a even a 46 could not lift that chunk of brass.
:likebutton:

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 12:24:21 PM by JR »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2018, 12:53:04 AM »
Bet BD would try,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2018, 05:36:49 PM »
JR, you try out the new prop yet? With any luck I will be picking my boat up Monday. Haven't got my old boat sold yet so might just be adding another one to the yard.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2018, 05:54:01 PM »
Not yet. With school starting and a couple boy scout events I have been to busy.

Thinking about selling the raft, but it is a nice portable thing to have. 14ft Baltic with a new 9.9/15hp 2cyc Suzuki

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2018, 03:10:04 PM »
Got the old boat sold this morning and a phone call letting me know the new one is ready to be picked up.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2018, 03:45:24 PM »
Great Timing Bob!  Congrats on both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2018, 04:01:14 PM »
Yep, that works.

Ordered a screw on skeg today. Cabelas had free shipping, 10% off and I had some points  :cool:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2018, 08:36:35 PM »
Put the skeg kit on it, feels solid. Now to fix the trim switch, that is on the bench now.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal