PERSONAL READINESS > Bug-Out Bag and Camping gear

Climbing Gear - just getting started

(1/4) > >>

TexasRedNeck:
Well,  I decided that I needed to learn to ascend and rappel.  For personal enjoyment and for climbing and felling trees, antenna towers, etc.

So I ordered a harness, ascenders, ropes, and stuff today.  I will share my learning experiences here.  I hope that its not updated from a hospital bed, or worse, but it will be what it will be.

Stay tuned.

BobbyB:

--- Quote from: TexasRedNeck on June 01, 2015, 10:26:08 AM ---Well,  I decided that I needed to learn to ascend and rappel.  For personal enjoyment and for climbing and felling trees, antenna towers, etc.

So I ordered a harness, ascenders, ropes, and stuff today.  I will share my learning experiences here.  I hope that its not updated from a hospital bed, or worse, but it will be what it will be.

Stay tuned.

--- End quote ---

Spend the time getting the knots down, and I mean really LEARN them. Spend a little bit extra time getting the harness adjusted. Keep your ropes clean,visually and physically check the entire length of rope, store them properly and maintain them so they don't fail when you really don't want them to.

If you can have a climbing buddy.

TexasRedNeck:

1/2 inch 10,500lb test static rope

Here is the gear so far.  I plan to learn very close to the ground before heading up.

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated.

TexasRedNeck:
Thanks Bobby. My wife will be my ground crew and 911 alert system...

I won't climb with no one else around

The craziest thing I heard was that people have rappelled of the end of their rope by not knowing if the rope was all the way to the ground...

Flyin6:
As a teen I was a technical rock climber. Could lead 5.8 several pitch climbs and follow a decent 5.10
Caveat: I am certainly no expert, only a novice and there have been a lot of years since I was crawling up a multi-pitch wall.

Back then we used 11mm ropes. Later I climbed in Europe, summer technical rock stuff again using 11mm and then some 9mm double line

Still later I was supporting a mountain team in one of the Special Forces groups and they were using and gave me a bunch of the 11mm.

The rest of the Army uses some crappy braided green nylon stuff. The real climbers, both SF and Seals all use the braided, purlon, ropes. Back then we used the braided stuff to deliver rucks and things like that via a high hover, then cut the ropes and leave. Having said that the Army's Air Assault school uses the crappy three strand green nylon junk. But it worked and I was once dangling from it about 1,500 feet above the ground, hanging below a Huey who's pilot was flying us around Ft. Bragg.
I have fallen on it, and my brother took a screamer of a lead fall in the swangunks one day that I held, all on that 11mm
Climbing rope has stretch, a bunch of it, used to be as much as something like 60%!

Caving rope on the other hand, which looks like climbing rope has little to no stretch. In caving you don't want to fall very far, I guess.

If I was just going to rappel and ascent using the ascenders like you showed, I'd stick with caving type rope

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version