Hello Guest

Author Topic: Get Home Bag vs Bug out Bag (and one of my setups)  (Read 3580 times)

Offline chung

• Registered
    • View Profile
Get Home Bag vs Bug out Bag (and one of my setups)
« on: June 06, 2015, 12:54:35 AM »
Hey guys -- I don't know about you but one thing I think about quite a bit is the composition of my get home bag (GHB) or bug out bag (BOB). As a result my opinion of it was always changing when I discover new gear or read a new blog -- but I think I like where it is now. The two concepts are closely related, but I was wondering if those of you who have some sort of go-bag differentiate between their purposes for getting home/to safety and bugging out.

My get home bag, which I wanted to share in this thread, lives in my vehicle. For me, it also doubles as my hiking pack (after removing some items depending on the excursion) since my friends sometimes head into the mountains when the mood strikes us. My daily life generally lands me somewhere within 20 miles of home. As such, I've considered minimalistic requirements for my GHB in terms of getting me from a random starting point to a predetermined end point -- going for lightweight and functional here.

On the other hand, my BOB (at home) is not really a bag at all and follows a slightly different philosophy. It is in a large tupperware ready to be thrown into the 4runner. My thought behind that was that if I am at home AND bugging out, it must have really hit the fan. Also, aside from a natural disaster centered at my location, I am banking on having enough time to carry said tupperware of life to my rig which has a lightly packed bag with plenty of room to spare (EDC pack from Triple Aught Design). I am calculating that my best bet away from my home will be driving for as long as I can reasonably keep a vehicle. If at a certain point I cannot head home, and I have to bail on my vehicle, I'll transfer what I need out of my BOB into my pack and be on my way. I guess, the way I treat my BOB setup is more akin to that of an INCH bag (I'm never coming home) -- just in case.

Anyways, just wanted to share my current philosophy and hear your thoughts on whether or not you differentiate between a car and home kit, and any action plans if disaster or national emergency strikes while you're somewhere on your daily routine vs at home.

My car bag below:
-Midsized Camelbak with 3L reservoir
-Full change of light, quick drying, warm clothing
-Warm, packable jacket
-SOL packable bivvy
-First aid kit
-Garbin eTrex 30
-Life straw
-Cliff bars
-Paracord
-Chem lights
-Black Diamond Storm headlamp
-Adventure Lights strobe/ir beacon
-Skinth EDC organizer with belt and molle attachments:
   -UST Sparkie/Bic lighter
   -Spare cr123's
   -Suunto clipper compas
   -Duct tape
   -Olight Mavrick flashlight
   -Leatherman MUT
   -Benchmade Griptillian

Caleb

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Get Home Bag vs Bug out Bag (and one of my setups)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 09:53:05 AM »
Caleb, or Chung, or both together?

I like a lot of what I am seeing and any comments I would make t improve would be of a "Picky" nature as you have thought through this.

I like that you have taken the time to research the topic, consider what you will do, and actually taken action.

To that I'd ask, and answer to yourself, not publically, but have/are you training with the stuff you have there. Sounds like you have.

I am not seeing a weapon, long gun or pistol. If you are in a lawless situation you will need one.

I like a lot of equipment I see there, Was there a quality compass in there somewhere?

The med kit was not exposed so I'm not sure what you have, but in addition to the normal stuff would you have a quick-clot type product?? Israeli battle bandage?? Suture kit + steri strips? Lots of bandage and cotton wadding in case things went really badly. Remember to stuff the holes and figure it out later!

I carry a BOB and a medical kit, an Army medic field pack in my truck. My thinking is I'll have to treat others, so with that in mind, you travelling alone, with a wife?? Kids? And if so do they carry also or are you kitted for them as well?

I'd throw some cammo make-up stuff in there if you need to get dark, or hide out in a dark place. Baby wipes?? toilet paper? Hat? keep you dry stuff? Extra socks?

As for the tuple-ware concept. Might work for you but I'm personally not so keen on it. Mostly training there, but without a vehicle it will be hard to carry.

Way back when I was in a certain Army unit, we were on call for worldwide deployment with just a phone call. And we did!
Because of that we had to maintain an "A" bag, a "B" bag and a "C" as well.

If you were on the list to go by the time you reported to the hangar and before the aircraft were all tied down inside a C-5 your A-bag was already loaded.

That included the things you need to spend a couple nights on a cot and roll into a combat situation for a 24-36 hour timeframe...something like a raid or a snatch and grab.

The B-bag contained things you needed if you would be staying for a couple weeks. I carried both the A and B over to desert storm and a couple other places.

The C bag contained stuff to make you comfortable. I put a pair of jeans and a flannel shirt and colored T-shirts in there along with better running shoes and maybe some music. If the C-bag was loaded, well, I'll see ya again some day.

Those bags were Air Force standard bags, big ones with handles. Much later in my wild and crazy career, BlackWater used the same concept for the most part. Except the bags were now black and of civy design.

So I'd give some thought to a bag vs a box or put the box in a bag

I'm sure the guys here will have a million other things to help with, many of them have deployed much like I just described, and frankly, with a lot of them being grunts, they'll know more than a cushy aviator anyway!

Have fun!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline chung

• Registered
    • View Profile
Get Home Bag vs Bug out Bag (and one of my setups)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 03:03:07 PM »
Thanks for the insight Don. You're correct - Caleb or Chung, or both together in that order.

The med kit pictured has an Israeli type bandage but no quick clot. I have quick clot in a larger kit in my trunk. Based on your feedback I think I'll transfer a few more Israeli bandages to this pack and some quick clot product.

Curious as to what folks are using to secure a pistol in the car. I don't carry every day because work does not allow it. But I do drive a lot and would like one on hand in the car. I've just been worried about theft when parked in a lot away from home.

There was a small suunto compass in there as a backup to my etrex 30 which I normally use on outdoor treks. It is just a barebones compass though as I don't have a map in my pack.

Change of clothes includes wool socks. I didn't picture it but there is a beanie as well as mountaineering gloves too. No baby wipes or tp but both great ideas.

My car bag is kitted for myself mainly, but supplies could stretch to two. My bug out box is kitted for two. Interesting concept you shared on differently loaded bags being at the ready. I think based on that, I might transfer my bug out kit into a backpacking pack.

What do you typically use for camo paint/make up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 06:53:48 PM by chung »
Caleb

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 03:33:53 PM »
Point of order here:

I wouldn't state in public here whether or where you store your firearms...Bad guyz are always listening...

OK, continue mission...

Offline chung

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 06:53:57 PM »
Good point, and edited

Caleb

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 07:04:39 PM »

There was a small suunto compass in there as a backup to my etrex 30 which I normally use on outdoor treks. It is just a barebones compass though as I don't have a map in my pack.

Go to the surplus store and get a lensatic compass with tritium. Preferably 2.

Surplus store or those online surplus sites will have the camo sticks for cheap. In a pinch to camo up grease, boot polish, mud, dirt will all work. Various amounts of time and climate will dictate how long they last and how effective they are. But remember going green (getting camo'd up) doesn't always mean, slathering camo paint on your face and throwing BDUs on. Blending into the surrounding and not sticking out in the crowd will serve you better.

Point: When I left Bragg, I went and toured the local 4 yr college. I had grown my hair out, and had a beard, so I didn't look like a soldier. I had people asking me for directions and assuming I was a student there. My point being, is hiding in plain sight is easier than most people think.

I still have a habit of appearing when people aren't expecting me, or hiding in plain sight. Look at the area you live in, and how to the vast majority of people dress? You probably dress the same or similarly, that in itself is effective camo.

The nail that sticks up gets hammered. Or however that proverb goes.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 11:16:26 AM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 12:02:11 AM »
CC, nice start.  Thanks for sharing.

I would consider adding a 2M amateur radio to the kit.  First to go will be cell communications.  Short of a nuke, 2M will always be available because of all the CERT HAM and repeaters out there.

Also, get some wetfire tinder.  If you have to build a fire, a cheater would be good to have.  Wetfire burns for a few minutes at 1300 degrees.  About the size of a breath mint.

I'd also stash some cash in there

And a simple folded map.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline chung

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 01:09:56 AM »
 Thanks. Will definitely add some wetfire. I've seen it around but have never tried it.. Sounds like it would do the trick though.

If I had a 2m radio would I technically need to get a HAM license to use for practice? I was looking at a baofeng (?) I think on Amazon a while back. They all seem to have some sort of lithium ion power source though. Anyone know of ones that are operated with common battery sizes? Or what do you use? I imagine it could be hard to recharge depending on the situation and availability of an outlet.

Caleb

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 07:44:54 AM »
Yes, however a technician's license is easy to get and lets you operate on 2M and 440.  There is a comms area that has some information on how to get it.  There are cool web sites with practice software so you can be ready for the test.

I'm not familiar with Baofeng, but there are many power source adapters available.  Remember HAM radio operators are like the MacGyver's of the world.  The scrounge and cobble together everything.

I have an ICOM 2M radio that has a NiCad battery pack with a cigarette lighter charging base capability and I was able to get a replacement batter pack that snaps in place and uses 4 AA batteries.  There are thousands of car batteries all around you so 12V should be easy to get.  AA battery back up is nice, and then you can get a little rollable solar panel to charge all your gizmos as well.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 08:15:52 AM »
X2 on the cash thing

Forgot to mention that

In my past while involved with a couple different organizations. When I was "Out there" we had to first sanitize our wallets...get rid of almost everything.

But we kept a C note or two handy and a chunk of gold or silver

Offline chung

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 11:44:36 PM »
Ahhhh... The Amazon cart grows

Caleb

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 06:13:40 PM »
Thanks for the insight Don. You're correct - Caleb or Chung, or both together in that order.

The med kit pictured has an Israeli type bandage but no quick clot. I have quick clot in a larger kit in my trunk. Based on your feedback I think I'll transfer a few more Israeli bandages to this pack and some quick clot product.

Curious as to what folks are using to secure a pistol in the car. I don't carry every day because work does not allow it. But I do drive a lot and would like one on hand in the car. I've just been worried about theft when parked in a lot away from home.

Change of clothes includes wool socks. I didn't picture it but there is a beanie as well as mountaineering gloves too. No baby wipes or tp but both great ideas.

My car bag is kitted for myself mainly, but supplies could stretch to two. My bug out box is kitted for two. Interesting concept you shared on differently loaded bags being at the ready. I think based on that, I might transfer my bug out kit into a backpacking pack.

Here's my solution for securing a weapon in the vehicle when I can't carry (Teacher) at work and out on road-
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:15:43 PM by cudakidd53 »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline chung

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 06:41:32 PM »
Thanks for pic cuda. That is a slick setup! I just checked and they don't have an application for me :( but maybe I can find something similar to that. I'm working with a 2015 subi forester as my dd. That gives me some ideas though to make something fit.
Caleb

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 07:02:09 PM »
Pair of handcuffs to the seat frame is what I do when I don't have any other way to secure mine.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal