PERSONAL READINESS > Self Defense and Tactics

On self defense-

(1/4) > >>

Higher Caliber:

And now, a PSA from your friendly neighborhood Policeman-

It is warming up outside and the calls on your friendly neighborhood Policeman’s beats are becoming more frequent. Now is a good time to re-fresh on a couple of key facets of defending yourself from tweakers, sexual predators, and ISIS, or all inclusively, “degenerate mopes.”

So much of self-defense is simply not putting yourself into a position where you will have to be defensive. Taking pro-active measures to insure you remain in a safe environment is paramount to the tools you use to defend yourself. Simply making sure you have enough gas in the tank to fill up at a venue of your discretion beats being forced to fuel up at that place that was on the news last week or worse, running out on the highway in front of the friendliest of trailer parks. Degenerate mopes, know no boundaries, however spending time in an area with a higher concentration of criminal activity apparently lends to the increased risk of falling victim to crime.

Just like degenerate mopes know no bounds, they are not solely nocturnal creatures. That being said, the concealment night time offers tends to increase their activity. When you go shopping do you take the time to forecast how lit your parking area will be if the sun goes down before your credit card is declined? Or, are you the jerk in the Kia that cuts me off and steals mine? Try to plan your activities where you are afforded the most availability of light. Safety is not always convenient but it increases life expectancy ten-fold. If you must venture to Wal-Mart at 0300, park in the lighted areas and away from white carpenter vans.

Degenerate mopes seek easy prey. The stoner wearing overpriced head phones and playing angry birds on the bench at the bus stop is more likely to get a good city mugging than the guy standing with his back to the wall people watching. The gal, talking on her cell phone to her “bff”, oblivious to everything not pertaining to the latest gossip, is more likely to find herself rolled up in a tarp in the back of the aforementioned, “white carpenter van.” It is sad, but I often see people walking across dimly lit parking lots with their faces in their cell phones tripping over parking curbs. Chances are they are most likely texting their significant others about how creepy the parking lot is. Being conscious of your surroundings at all times is not paranoia, it is preventative of being the plot of a Lifetime movie. It’s never good to wake up in a hole with duct tape ligature marks being encouraged to lotion up by a degenerate mope.

There is a push back to being defensive of yourself via your attire, which is metabolizing in our PC culture. It has become a narrative that people shouldn’t have to dress any certain way to avoid attack and that the attackers… “Just shouldn’t”. The problem with this ideology is pretty simple, the attackers, “just do”, and no amount of harshly worded rhetoric from Diane Sawyer is going to stop that. This doesn’t just go for the girls in the mini-skirts and tube tops utilizing the alley behind bar row as a place to relieve themselves. It also goes for the guys with the NRA shirts that scream, “I’m packing”, or the cool morale tees that say, “Hey, I’m an Obama supporter.” Don’t get me wrong, I have a cool t-shirt or two, and you can dress however you want. Just realize, if you look like food, there is a higher probability of you being eaten.

So let’s break this down, Sesame Street style-

A- Always control your environment to the best of your ability.

B- Be conscious of the availability of light and the impact it has
on your safety.

C- Careful, not carefree! Be situationally aware!

D- Dress in a manner that says “Hey don’t $%#^ with me”

In conclusion, let’s all have a great summer! Oh, and to the guy in the Kia, “It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nate:
bro, you would be supprised just how much of this is not taugh in the army now a days.

a couple of things i would like to add if permitted.

1. dont put bumper stickers or stickers in general all over your vehicle.  that as HC stated is like a flashing neon sign saying here is everything you need to know about me to make it easier for you to attack me in some way shape fashion or form.  this includes all those stick figures or doggies or what have you that show the mommy, daddy and all the little kiddies, etc.

2. always back into a parking spot or pull all the way thru if you can.  it is easier to push something out of your way going in a forward direction than it is going in a backwards direction.

3. take a look at your surroundings and have at least 2 different routes of egress. this also goes along with your routes to the stores, schools, gyms, etc.  it is too easy for somebody to watch you day after day and catalog everything you do and use it against you when it is convienent for them.

cudakidd53:
Thanks HC- well written and informative; especially like the "Silence of the Lambs" references!

Nate, I thought you were gonna throw in your favorite Chianti and a recipe for farva beans?  ;)

Nate:
not much of a wine guy.

Atkinsmatt:
Great write-up. Hopefully lots of people follow this advice.  Unfortunately many won't.  Bad things happen but don't volunteer for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version