Hello Guest

Author Topic: New Purchase  (Read 3418 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
New Purchase
« on: June 25, 2015, 11:04:14 PM »
Purchased this today:

A new John Deere 1025R 4WD tractor. Mower really, but they call it a "1" Series tractor. I guess my other one is a 4 series.

This has been coming for some time. I moved the 4720 down to the farm a few months ago, and along with it went all my hydraulic muscle and that spacious bucket.

Well with May and June, what some people call spring, I call Mulch season. So this year I realize I have to get that done and that 4720 is just too big and heavy for the year. It just plain tears stuff all to heck and back. Additionally, that Skag Cheetah zero-turn really makes a mess of the lawn. No zero turn works on hills anyway so I was getting done with it.

The icing on the cake was when I had some men quote me mulching my property and I was shocked to find out how much it costs. Over 3 times what I have paid for the mulch in the past! So after a couple days of consideration, I decided I will do the mulching myself, like always and get another smaller tractor with a belly mount mower to mow with and a loader to move stones and mulch around the property. I'll probably get a tiller attachment as well and put in a bigger garden

So I was planning on getting a less expensive Kubota, but only after I really started examining the two competitive tractors closely that I discovered you really do get what you pay for. The Deere is almost 2K more than the Kubota.

The Deere was just made better. It fits better but the loader sold me. I saw the two tractors hooked to scales which measured lift and rollback of the bucket on both tractors. The single cylinder Kubota wasn't even close. The Deere lifted as much as 1.600 pounds in testing whereas the Kubota never broke 1,000! Now that's huge!

The second thing was the drive on self attaching mower deck. Man all you do is drive over the deck and "Slam," it attaches itself! Taking off the loader was much easier with the Deere as well, and to top it all off I have been owning Deere tractors since the late 80's. The local dealer knows me well, so that was the final check in the go-purchase block.

They filled the tires with Beet juice for free and will deliver it Tuesday. I'll have the beds prepped and have 20+ yards of mulch on standby ready for two eager pre-rangers and a couple 5-tine pitch forks!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: New Purchase
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 11:45:42 PM »
Makin me uber jealous right now... A 4 series and a 1 series in John Deere Green! Congrats hoss
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 05:17:05 AM »
That will work.  It you haul anything much heavier than mulch in the bucket, you will need something to hang off the back on the three-point hitch.  Especially if the boys are driving it.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 08:31:57 AM »
That will work.  It you haul anything much heavier than mulch in the bucket, you will need something to hang off the back on the three-point hitch.  Especially if the boys are driving it.
It's only going to be mulch, dirt, and sortieing the occasional part from here to there.

I didn't want to buy anything, really. Getting harder and harder to depart with the $$$. I wanted that piece of capital equipment and a new building down on the farm, but this house is not looking up to spec with the rest of the neighborhood so domestic Don stuff won out.
I fluid filled the tires with that beet juice, a pretty good amount. They got 800 pounds of it in each rear tire on the 4 series, so they will probably be adding, what 75-100 into the rear of this thing??

Online Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 08:48:46 AM »
Ballast is good for lifting.  Can be hard on the yard.  Great machine.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 10:06:15 AM »
Too bad they didn't set you up with some "turf" tires instead of those pictured.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 10:16:15 AM »
Don't want "Turf tires"

I like and use the R4 industrial bar tires. OK for lawns and will get some traction if pushing snow or dirt.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 10:36:42 AM »
Oh yea, you get snow some don't you! 
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 12:20:36 PM »
Don, that is just plain "CUTE"  8)
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 01:16:49 PM »
Are you going to get a set of pallet forks for it to move stuff around?  I have been looking for a set for my 2320 but didn't want to get anything that's designed for a larger tractor or skid steer because the weight of the forks and frame would really reduce my lifting capacity.  I am leaning toward the Artillian forks, but can't justify the price quite yet.

http://www.artillian.com/JDQAPalletForkSets.htm

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 01:31:32 PM »
Are you going to get a set of pallet forks for it to move stuff around?  I have been looking for a set for my 2320 but didn't want to get anything that's designed for a larger tractor or skid steer because the weight of the forks and frame would really reduce my lifting capacity.  I am leaning toward the Artillian forks, but can't justify the price quite yet.

http://www.artillian.com/JDQAPalletForkSets.htm
I wanted them, but I am just stingy right now because of the Farm...

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 02:33:18 PM »
Nice purchase Don!

I can attest to the pains of the Kubota. I would love the drive on deck. For the Kubota you have to perform a series of steps like getting it somewhat aligned under the rig, then attaching the mid PTO, then jiggling the deck back and forth while you drop the lift arms down to you can slide the pins in on both sides ... then if you haven't scuffed your knuckles enough yet and have put together this retaining frame on the front of the deck that rotates and locks in with another spring pin.. If you have done all that in the proper sequence then you have success! If not take apart and try again. It look much easier in the Kubota video. I vote for driving on the deck and flipping a lever!  :o

The front loader lift is anemic. I thought there was something wrong with my hydraulic pressure. So I bought a pressure gauge and shim kit. But no the pressure was fine. I would be surprised if it can lift 700#. I think 600# is close to limit.

Oh by the way it is a 2014 Kubota BX25D.

Also I might as well finish my Orange gripe... It sits in a garage all winter and is use to plow snow. It was less than a year old and already has metal that was rusted. Crazy.

Ok... DOT out.
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 04:53:27 PM »
Duane has one of those BX-25's. He gets along pretty well with his I think.

I looked more at the loader lift thing. Every single test I found the JD crushed the Kubota in lift and curl back, Average seemed to be from 1000-1400 on the Deere with one test which showed a rear 1025 lifting 1648 pounds with the loader! WHOA!! That's a lot.

These are little machines so I don't expect much, and I owned a 2305 for years which is the predecessor of this current 1025. It was OK, but nothing like a real tractor and loader. The loader on my 4720 lifted the Cummins 6BT and transmission at just above idle. Down at the farm I can grab a fair sized tree with the 4-1 bucket and drive off with it. I worry about popping a front tire, because the thing lifts so much!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 10:54:23 PM »
Don, that domestic stuff can be cured.  Sell the house and go full time on the farm.  Frees up lots of capital
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 09:36:51 AM »
Don, that domestic stuff can be cured.  Sell the house and go full time on the farm.  Frees up lots of capital
I doubt we last here in this castle much after the boys graduate. The Farm would be my choice!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 12:32:20 AM »
Gotcha.  I didn't realize you had the pre-rangers full time.  Different story.  I have two girls, 9 and 11.  The finish line seems a long way away for someone my age.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 04:42:31 AM »
Nice looking rig. I'm sure it will do a lot of work for you. Can I ask an ignorant question- you said you had the rear tires filled with beet juice....is it really beet juice? Or is that just a phrase? And if so why not a water/antifreeze mix of some sort? Is it heavier per gallon or aomething?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 07:57:35 AM »

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 09:26:29 AM »
Thanks redneck....that's helpful. Cool stuff. Is that better for some reason than hanging weights? I just always have seen either wheel weights or plates for ballast.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 02:40:31 PM »
Nice looking rig. I'm sure it will do a lot of work for you. Can I ask an ignorant question- you said you had the rear tires filled with beet juice....is it really beet juice? Or is that just a phrase? And if so why not a water/antifreeze mix of some sort? Is it heavier per gallon or aomething?
For some years now the fluid used to fill rear tractor tires is indeed, beet juice. Very heavy and does not corrode the steel, nor harm the rubber. That antifreeze junk they used to use would corrode wheels in time. But this stuff is pretty spendy. When I filled the tires on my 4720 machine, I want to say it cost some $500!
Beet juice is much heavier than the old fluid, oh, and it doesn't freeze until some very low temps
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 02:41:30 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 06:46:03 PM »
Man, maybe I should take the water out of mine. At least I think it has water....that's what the dealer said, maybe it has beet juice. Nah, I doubt it. My wheels probably fell off last night, I better go check.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 06:47:59 PM »
A lot of people use windshield washer fluid...
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal