Hello Guest

Author Topic: what are your opinions on this contraption  (Read 5945 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
what are your opinions on this contraption
« on: June 26, 2015, 12:21:11 PM »
I came across this and was wondering what opinions folks have about it.  ken, RN, bob, whoever else has a fifth wheel????

http://www.automatedsafetyhitch.com/
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: what are your opinions on this contraption
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 12:25:59 PM »
it would seem to me that this thing would basically take all weight off the rear axle of the truck and allow the pulling vehicle to pull a heck of a lot more than it could normally (think Toyota pulling the space shuttle because this is basically the same concept).......?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 01:39:22 PM »
Quite the intreaging concept Nate- where'd you run across it?  Allows the best of both worlds- tow a fifth wheel but still have a truck with a cap!  Really like the recovery cable set up!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 02:58:06 PM »
Uhh, no thanks. I can barely back up the setup I have. lol
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 05:15:08 PM »
I'd pass, my truck's long enough and I don't need 2 extra tires to worry about. Plus the auto disconnect takes about the same time it would take to unhitch my gooseneck.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 05:19:28 PM by Pulley »
2001 Silverado 3500 Drw Crew Cab 2wd 6.0 Gasser High Flow Mufflers and S&B Intake
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 05:41:21 PM »
I kind of like it.

What I am seeing here would allow me to tow a 5th wheel trailer while having my topper and spare tire carrier intact, then just drop the whole business when I'm done
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 06:02:24 PM »
Nate,

I think you discovered something interesting here.
I just sent them a note with a proposal. I suggested they loan us one of those hitches for all of us to evaluate.

Now no telling if they will be interested, however, here's my concept of how this would go down. Their company is in Sanger, TX. I would ask you or Charles, or Ash to drive over and pick it up and use it for awhile. Then write up what you discover about it while posting pics. I'd like to see the thing handed off to Ken, JR, Me, Mike, Bob, and whoever else wanted to try it out.

Each in turn uses it to pull their particular load with their truck. Perhaps when it is near the end of the "Loan" period one of us, maybe me, could purchase it if one of us really felt it helped towing his load.

So, message was sent, with a link back to here, so they can see what I propose. We'll wait and see.

In the meanwhile, considering Sanger, Texas, and the fact that Texas is roughly the size of, well, the Pacific ocean, who would be interested in using it first...second?
You can volunteer here or PM me. First dibs goes to the moderators here, then the registered members then dogs, then cats, then finally Liberals!

Let me know

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 06:34:18 PM »
wow, ok.

I would be more than glad to do a test run per-say on this piece of equipment, only draw back is I have no access to a 5th wheel or goose neck trailer.  if this goes thru I will have to get a hold of some contacts down here and get this going.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 06:35:58 PM »
I think sanger is pretty close to where RN has his place...........?

if not, DBOONETX lives close enough he might be able to assist.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 06:50:08 PM »
I don't have a 5th wheel, but I have wanted one. But since all my trucks have a topper of some sort, I gave up on the idea until this came along.

No telling if the company would be willing to participate, but if they did, I would want to get in the queue somewhere along the line.
We'd just have to figure out the smart way to get it around the country. It would likely start in the Texas, then I imagine migrate to CA, then Washington, then over to Wyoming, the maybe down to Norm in Nebraska, then over to Wisconsin, then Chicago, then Kentucky, then over to the east coast

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 10:00:03 PM »
Great idea Don, I could try it out with my fathers enclosed race trailer, moving van; load-up a bunch of Dems and drop them off in Southern Illinois, haul some over to Caliber in Southwestern MO, and finally drop the last group off near Loretta, KY........it's barrel rotation season over at Makers Mark and I could task them with finding that barrel that literally has my name on it!  They could learn to work, help clear brush for Caliber then when he's gotten them trained, he can haul em over to the Farm!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 10:27:27 PM »
I've seen it before.  Couple of observations. 

Would allow use of the pickup bed
Would allow use of a topper or cap
Would be able to order with provisions for a lifted truck.

Cons:
More tires
More complex
Adds length of about 6-8 feet  which would put me close to CDL territory since my 42ft 5er plus my CCLB dually about 58 feet,  I believe Texas is 65ft max

Having said that, yes, Texas is a big place.  Nearly 800 miles from East to West.  Sanger is north of the Big D which is about 400 miles from here.  Be happy to test it and provide nice detail evaluation.  I fancy myself quite the expert at putting that moose of a 5er in really tight spots.  Would be curious to see how this impacts manuverability.

Anyone seen an estimate of price?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 10:28:10 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 10:31:58 PM »
Google says about 11-12K loaded out.

Wow.  Could almost get a used LBZ dually for that and have just a dedicated rig....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 10:33:50 PM »
Google says about 11-12K loaded out.

Holy cow, that seems pretty steep.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 11:43:01 PM »
Yikes....must be 1200 or 1500...no? Man you could get a couple big-truck style dollies for 12k

...or a few used ones:
http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=5954151
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 10:03:51 AM »
Safety Hitch update

I got a response back from the folks that manufacture the safety hitch. The inventor and company owner wants to talk to me about my proposal.

Again, my idea is to obtain the thing, maybe RN first then move it about the country where everyone gets to test it so we can get a good evaluation of the hitch. I will likely be the last one to test it, then Real Man will purchase it or we will give it back. All along the way those who have it will be expected to use it however you normally tow your trailers.

If this works out, I really want Ash to get the thing and have him evaluate it with some of the loads he is carrying.

So, how many folks have 5th wheel type trailers they would be willing to tote around with this safety hitch equipment.

PM me if you don't mind.

I have shared this link with the manufacturer so they can read your comments and know your feelings/concerns as well.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 11:57:57 AM »
very interesting, hopefully you will have a good conversation with the owner.  I would be more than glad to offer my opinion, but I do not own a 5th wheel / gooseneck trailer.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 01:05:07 PM »
I have seen those at shows a couple times and think the idea is OK if you want a 5th with say a Sub or covered bed truck like many of us. I don't have a 5th so I didn't really didn't look into it much. I bet much of that cost is insurance as there can't be more than a few grand of material there.

As for safety and use, it has worked on doubles, triples and other HD rigs for years.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 01:13:21 PM »
I have seen those at shows a couple times and think the idea is OK if you want a 5th with say a Sub or covered bed truck like many of us. I don't have a 5th so I didn't really didn't look into it much. I bet much of that cost is insurance as there can't be more than a few grand of material there.

As for safety and use, it has worked on doubles, triples and other HD rigs for years.
JR, you hit the nail on the head there. I want my truck box for stuff not a hitch.
So this theory has limited me RV'ing to travel trailers.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 02:04:19 PM »
Oh oh oh, it just hit me.  2015 dura burb and a fifth wheel.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 02:44:21 PM »
Or a 7.3 powerstroke excursion to go oldschool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2015, 05:25:03 PM »
You can completely bypass my area. I don't even have a hitch on XJ, much less a trailer to hook up to. However, I did go look at a 96 F350 with a 5sp manual and the 7.3
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2015, 06:03:36 PM »
Before the Automated Safety Hitch (ASH), there was the Hitch Buddy, Trailer Toad, and others I'm sure. All resemble the semi truck dollies mentioned previously, but the ASH has three attachment points and requires a custom hitch. It won't be easy to swap it amongst your trucks.

Hitch-buddy.com appears to be dead - I read something about them going out of business due to legal problems, possibly an accident?

There looks to be a lot of debate on whether some of these things are legal and/or safe. It certainly seems like a elegant solution to a specific problem (Excursion to haul family, trucks with toppers, etc).

Any update from the manufacturer Don?
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2015, 01:09:35 PM »
I have an invite to talk to the owner...I read up some on the product, but no response from them yet...??? Forgot about it perhaps?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal