Hello Guest

Author Topic: Made it to CO  (Read 5358 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Made it to CO
« on: July 27, 2015, 10:16:55 PM »
Well we pulled in today. 94 degrees here?.?  May uproot and love to higher elevation. We're at 6300 and looking at moving to 8200.  Some of the headwinds headed north on I25 towards Trinidad were brutal. Dropped mileage by 1.5 mpg and caused the EGTs to climb up in the steep grades. Had to back down the speed and drop a gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: Made it to CO
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 10:20:07 PM »
Casa De Tex. Nice.

Just curious, why would you drive 12000 miles to camp when you own one of the best camp sites I've ever seen?

:poketexintheface :)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 10:27:15 PM »
Only reason is to chase cooler weather.  Looking for that spot with 80 in the day and 50 at night.  It's 101 and 70 percent humidity at my place.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 10:30:06 PM »
Nice lookin spread there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 10:35:48 PM »
101? wow.

I just hit the hills about 150 miles north of me and it was mid to upper 70s at about 7000ft. At 5500ft it was 90.
Those temps/elevations were about 20 miles apart.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 10:51:25 PM »
Crazy. It was that way when I met up with Nate. Hot in Alamagordo and then very cool in cloud croft about 30 miles up the mountain.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 10:52:33 PM »
Crazy. It was that way when I met up with Nate. Hot in Alamagordo and then very cool in cloud croft about 30 miles up the mountain.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 11:12:50 PM »
Nice looking setup you have there!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 01:09:46 AM »
Sweet, looks cozy.

You have internet?? Not remote enough,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Camping with the boys last week there was one spot up on the side of one hill with ATT. 10 minutes uphill from a climbing wall, 2 chairs are left there to relax.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 01:35:08 AM »
Looking sweet! Where in CO are you (general area). Silverton and the San Juans are great and usually high enough up to stay cool (er)...have fun!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 03:59:44 AM »
Well we pulled in today. 94 degrees here?.?  May uproot and love to higher elevation. We're at 6300 and looking at moving to 8200.  Some of the headwinds headed north on I25 towards Trinidad were brutal. Dropped mileage by 1.5 mpg and caused the EGTs to climb up in the steep grades. Had to back down the speed and drop a gear.

Now I don't have the monitoring equipment that y'all do,  but educate me on how dropping down a gear and raising rpm, lower egts and engine temp? I would think getting into the higher rpm would only make things hotter? Not being smart Alec here. Just learning about towing and diesels,  and eating some food spikowsky.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 07:10:18 AM »
My uninformed logic Tate, is higher RPMs puts the engine, transmission and turbo in their "sweet spot" zone where turbo spin drops, exhaust flows freely and the coolers run more efficiently.  One reason it's said to not tow in OD is that the torque converter is locked and the trans pumps less fluid thereby building more heat.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:35:52 AM by cudakidd53 »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 08:02:54 AM »
Tate, I don't know the reason so I'm guessing too. The lower gear multiplies torque more effectively meaning less power is needed which means the ECM is not throwing fuel at it to make power, which raises EGTs. With a full profile 5er, the wind is the biggest factor. I could see mileage drop and EGTs go up when headed into the 25mph wind.  Likewise when the wind was at my back I could fly 75mph without getting into the throttle

Where's Ken for the mechanical explanation?

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 09:07:51 AM »
Probably want doing myself any favors then when I was overheating by constantly gunning it to get it to upshift, thinking lower rpms and a higher gear would be cooler. Thanks.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 09:25:17 AM »
More RPM with about the same amount of fuel burn gets you more air flow through and more coolant circulation, from what I understand. "Sweet spot" rationale I've heard too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 09:46:41 AM »
Mikey has it right. Higher rpm=less load=less fuel/less boost (pressure)=more air flow into and out of engine=lower egts

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 10:25:15 AM »
Thanks! Better understanding is the truth!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 08:00:09 PM »
Well went to the Arkansas river and took the girls rafting. It's running 1600 cu ft right now and we had some good moments.  Anything more and I'd have been concerned for them. We had our own boat and the guide was a first bat ranger who served in A-Stan and was on leave from the guard. Nice guy.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 09:52:53 PM »
Well went to the Arkansas river and took the girls rafting. It's running 1600 cu ft right now and we had some good moments.  Anything more and I'd have been concerned for them. We had our own boat and the guide was a first bat ranger who served in A-Stan and was on leave from the guard. Nice guy.

1/75 Rangers are the snot

Good tough get it done kids, those ones. Worked with them more times than I can recount. Also the world's largest organized group of thieves. Like stone cold angles while enroute, but on the way out, those thieving mustard seeds grab anything that isn't tied down...everything!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 09:53:08 PM »
Nice rolling palace.
Yeah on dropping a gear sometimes it's just needed to keep things in check.
Especially with that little load.

I've always been a fan of rafting. With the kids the quieter water is better.
I'm a fan of the good stuff, but time and place come into that (no kiddos to worry about).
Enjoy the holiday!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 10:03:02 PM »
Well, Sam, travel down closer to the middle of Earth and I might take you to the Colorado....

...where I would promptly drop you off and go home because I'm a chicken when it comes to water!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 10:37:59 PM »
One day...would be nice.
Since we picked up our cabin, mama has all but lost any inclination to leave. This is not a bad thing. But it does cut into touring with the camper a lot.

I'd love to take ya up on it Ken, just don't know when, but one of these years!

And even though there is no need to turn tail and run, I do get it.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 01:46:17 AM »
Got fire.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 01:53:04 AM »
I met a nice LEO retired and his retires LEO wife today. Showed them some nice ghost rocket Glock triggers before brown water.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 01:53:50 AM »
Nice lookin fire. We got a statewide burn ban here... Big fines if you get caught too

NRA Life Member

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 02:33:18 AM »
Heck, about everything around here is on fire!! They were even using airline tankers today about 10 miles away!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 08:24:14 AM »
Nice lookin fire. We got a statewide burn ban here... Big fines if you get caught too

Prayers out to you westerners
Fire, drought...
Father uphold your people and give them what they need. Restore the rain, fill their resevoirs, but more-so, fill their land with a repentant spirit and a burning desire to seek you once again. In Jesus name, amen!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 10:31:18 PM »

Looking sweet! Where in CO are you (general area). Silverton and the San Juans are great and usually high enough up to stay cool (er)...have fun!

Sorry I missed this yesterday. We are between Canon City and Co Springs off 115

Yeah, these private campgrounds almost always have wifi but you share the pipe with 60 people and it's like dial up

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2015, 11:03:54 PM »

Prayers out to you westerners
Fire, drought...
Father uphold your people and give them what they need. Restore the rain, fill their resevoirs, but more-so, fill their land with a repentant spirit and a burning desire to seek you once again. In Jesus name, amen!
Thanks don we needed that...We had a couple days of rain up here on the straights and fishing is great. It is a Pink year( runs in the odd years only) and they are running in big numbers. Have to buy another punch card tomorrow. I think we have about 125 fish in the boat these past two weeks. They are running between 3 and 6 lbs and with a few kings and silvers mixed in fishing is great

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2015, 11:32:23 PM »
Yep, thanks Don.

They are talking El Nino's again next year which should mean rain. Where I am we are fine as Berryessa has water for at least 2 more years and we own it!!

Plus, it was just 108 here today, but dry.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2015, 08:53:37 AM »
I don't always like the policies of the liberal governments living out there on the west coast, but I sure do care about the people living there, well, most of them.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2015, 06:48:08 AM »
A little horseback ride up the mountain with the kids.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal