Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide site, retirement site.  (Read 206626 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hide site, retirement site.
« Reply #1350 on: November 21, 2018, 09:32:16 AM »
We are great armchair quarterbacks!  :popcorn:
No, Mike, not great ;-/

Kinda of average in an aggravating sort of way ;-)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: November 21, 2018, 12:36:25 PM »
 :likebutton:
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: November 23, 2018, 04:44:49 PM »
Bob, why not go to SS?

Never thought about using SS. Was just replacing brake lines on old cars with what was on them. Next time JR, some one else will for me.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: November 27, 2018, 02:15:26 PM »
Little update.

Went to spiral stair place and got quote. Reasonable at $1800

This is for a locally sourced one piece welded stairs with balcony railing. Painted black.

Too bad it’s a 4 week lead time. Maybe they’ll beat estimate.

Finished the trim upstairs except the parts around the stairwell. Once stairs are in I’ll finish that trim and carpet will go down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: November 27, 2018, 03:38:11 PM »
Nice, what flooring?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: November 27, 2018, 04:03:33 PM »
What is the wire hanging from the ceiling? Cat6 for Wifi AP?
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: November 27, 2018, 04:09:31 PM »
Really like the matching window casing.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: November 27, 2018, 04:59:51 PM »
Nice catch Ryan,  You must have a really big monitor....you always catch detail.  It is cat6 for a ubiquity AP.  The closet to the right is the nerve center for the entire property.  100mb connection, video matrix switcher, HDMI baluns, all the , NVR, Satellite-DVR, DVD, network server, stereo, etc.  It will then be piped to the main house and the seacan.  Will be installing all Ubiquity POE camera's and access points

Thanks Ken,  The stain turned out darker, much darker than what it was supposed to be but can't change it now. downstairs will have an arch top with a keystone over the windows and doors.

Standby JR, pics of the floor coming.  It the upstairs its a Shaw carpet frisee with memory foam pad.  Downstairs will be tile with a reclaimed wood look.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 05:00:37 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: November 27, 2018, 05:08:26 PM »
I was looking at digital security systems this weekend. Price about doubles over the standard stuff.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: November 27, 2018, 05:35:05 PM »

Here is the floor, the glass insert for the shower and backsplash and the pebble floor of the shower

Biscuit colored subway tile for backsplash and a larger version for the shower.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: November 27, 2018, 07:07:02 PM »
JR, i used Simply Safe for the alarm.  I really like it.  Outside cameras won't be linked but they will text me photos of motion events and store video on the NVR

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: November 27, 2018, 09:34:20 PM »
Nice catch Ryan,  You must have a really big monitor....you always catch detail.  It is cat6 for a ubiquity AP.  The closet to the right is the nerve center for the entire property.  100mb connection, video matrix switcher, HDMI baluns, all the , NVR, Satellite-DVR, DVD, network server, stereo, etc.  It will then be piped to the main house and the seacan.  Will be installing all Ubiquity POE camera's and access points

Thanks Ken,  The stain turned out darker, much darker than what it was supposed to be but can't change it now. downstairs will have an arch top with a keystone over the windows and doors.

Standby JR, pics of the floor coming.  It the upstairs its a Shaw carpet frisee with memory foam pad.  Downstairs will be tile with a reclaimed wood look.

Dual 24’s and a 22” flipped portrait ;) And yeah, I’m a stickler for details as you have noticed (anal/OCD whatever you’d like to call it).

I almost pulled the trigger on a Netgear Orbi system this weekend then discovered it isn’t true mesh, so I scrapped that idea and think I’ll just add a few ubiquity APs like the one I have now. Slowly working on getting my house retrofitted with cat6 runs for data and cameras to a central smart panel.

Ryan

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: November 27, 2018, 09:49:50 PM »
Little update.

Went to spiral stair place and got quote. Reasonable at $1800

This is for a locally sourced one piece welded stairs with balcony railing. Painted black.

Too bad it’s a 4 week lead time. Maybe they’ll beat estimate.

Finished the trim upstairs except the parts around the stairwell. Once stairs are in I’ll finish that trim and carpet will go down.

I know you thought of this, but make sure it fits through the door, or window

Hint: You can actually buy one larger than the door opening as long as it remains a spiral for its entire length. You simply "Screw" it through your opening.

I built a timber frame house in Tennessee and had a spiral staircase brought in after the walls, doors, and windows. It was too large, but we twisted it right through with nary an issue.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: November 28, 2018, 01:01:40 AM »
I really like the SS idea but have not pulled the plug yet. Had Vivint for a few years, but service was $$$. Live and learn,,,,,,,,,,,

I think a little about hacking with wireless cameras, but not sure if I should. With wired it is easy to add a camera and not pricey.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: November 28, 2018, 08:59:34 AM »
I really like the SS idea but have not pulled the plug yet. Had Vivint for a few years, but service was $$$. Live and learn,,,,,,,,,,,

I think a little about hacking with wireless cameras, but not sure if I should. With wired it is easy to add a camera and not pricey.

In a real life issue where someone comes to your home with ill intent what in the large scope will the difference between WiFi vs hard line, secured self contained be? 

Will either stop someone?

I know I ran a bunch of stuff to hard wire cameras but my thought was to not need to change batteries.  My only thought was the power source.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: November 28, 2018, 09:03:14 AM »
My outside cameras are hard wired and the Simply Safe cameras are wifi but they have a metal lens cover that makes a big click when it opens so you know if someone is watching

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: November 28, 2018, 09:51:14 AM »

In a real life issue where someone comes to your home with ill intent what in the large scope will the difference between WiFi vs hard line, secured self contained be? 

Will either stop someone?

I know I ran a bunch of stuff to hard wire cameras but my thought was to not need to change batteries.  My only thought was the power source.

WIFI can be hacked, there is no true encripted wifi as of yet....(read the military still does not run on WIFI, but is testing.).

a lock will only keep an honest person honest?

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: November 28, 2018, 04:46:27 PM »
Call me cautious but I won't have a Siri enabled device in my house and won't install a Ring type doorbell or consumer "Internet Accessible" camera that connects to my WiFi. Most newer routers provide for the plug and play type of port forwarding (UPnP) that you had to have some expertise to set up before and ensure encryption in active on that data stream. Typically the default is to have that on.

So when you buy a device and then just have to push a button and enter your WiFi password it uses UPnP to create an encrypted tunnel to that device (Ring Door Camera) to their Host server in the cloud.

The same approximate thing happens with any device you attach to your WiFi where you can access it remotely without using an actual VPN client like Cisco Anywhere Connect.

If you are at your site you can use this website to just check to see what ports if any you have open.
https://www.routersecurity.org/testrouter.php

Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: December 01, 2018, 11:58:14 AM »
Working on a few things this weekend

First is the line set cover. Glad I got the 6 inch. Made it easy. When it got to the first floor unit I used a hole saw to cut a hole for the first floor units lines to join in the cover cover with the 2nd floor lines.  May paint it later but it on the backside that faces the forest.

Now working on trim for the first floor and around the stairs. 

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: December 01, 2018, 07:13:59 PM »
Nothing wrong with that,  pretty clean.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: December 01, 2018, 08:41:14 PM »
Looks so nice!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: December 02, 2018, 01:02:58 PM »
Alright. Back to finish work.

Paint downstairs and outlet covers. Stained a batch of trim for the windows and ends of crown mounding

About to varnish the first batch

Have the estimate from the flooring company. Likely have them do the carpet and floor tile.  They are smoking crack on shower tile labor.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: December 02, 2018, 02:27:47 PM »

Next batch of trim stained and varnished.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: December 02, 2018, 02:35:04 PM »
 :likebutton:

Keep up the hard work Charles!
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: December 02, 2018, 06:11:00 PM »
Laid some stone for a path

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: December 02, 2018, 06:13:15 PM »
For some reason I can’t quite find as much time to get things done as you do.

Which mini split are you using?  I might have to replace the unit in my little house(~1000sqft) but not sure it would work with our heating needs up here in KY.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: December 02, 2018, 06:34:10 PM »
Dave. I have a friedrich in the seacan and LG in the casita. 

Depends on how insulated your place is. Between the 2 zones on the LG I have 18000 btu in 768 sq ft

I get stuff done because I only sleep 5 hours or less. Blessing and curse

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: December 02, 2018, 10:25:54 PM »
Was over at Duane's garage-ma-hall today. THink of it as a garage that Tex would build and you get the idea.

Duane has tow Friedrich mini splits, one up and one down. Can drive him out in the cold or freeze him out in the summer. took him a few hours to install. Way easy. So much so, I'm putting them in my "Shed" before summer.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: December 03, 2018, 08:47:18 AM »
Based on those recommendations and the fact that I’m in the same area/climate zone as Duane, I’m going to say that they should handle heating my place in winter. I’m going to see what exactly I need.  I’m In the process of seeing if the existing LP furnace/central air is worth saving, or do I replace with mini split. It would save me the $500 for filling the LP tanks.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: December 03, 2018, 11:19:07 AM »
Based on those recommendations and the fact that I’m in the same area/climate zone as Duane, I’m going to say that they should handle heating my place in winter. I’m going to see what exactly I need.  I’m In the process of seeing if the existing LP furnace/central air is worth saving, or do I replace with mini split. It would save me the $500 for filling the LP tanks.

Dave, the mini split is so much better that I wouldn't even begin to look at repairing old junk

FYI, I am looking to remove the old duct/vent system in my daughters home and installing a mini split.

Its what I used in Afghanistan and Iraq at various elevations and climates. It never failed in its mission and so easy to install/repair.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: December 03, 2018, 12:19:22 PM »
Now that you have mentioned it, I remember those were all over the place in Afghanistan. That would have answered my question without having to ask if I had remembered that.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: December 03, 2018, 03:34:48 PM »
Now that you have mentioned it, I remember those were all over the place in Afghanistan. That would have answered my question without having to ask if I had remembered that.

Yea, what would you estimate, a few hundred thousand of them there?

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: December 03, 2018, 09:11:08 PM »
At least, after all, each Air Force hooch has to have a couple each. ;)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: December 03, 2018, 09:27:23 PM »
At least, after all, each Air Force hooch has to have a couple each. ;)

A-firm!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: December 08, 2018, 07:10:13 PM »
Well up at 04:00 and after a cup of coffee I headed to the hide to install the trim for the inside of the windows and crown end pieces that I had stained and  varnished last week.

Then I measured and cut and stained the rest of the trim and crown mounding. Will  varnish it next weekend. Headed baxk for bible study with the extended family tomorrow.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: December 15, 2018, 10:05:27 AM »

Got the trim varnished last night. Put it up this morning

Got to unbox the new saw.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: December 15, 2018, 11:12:14 AM »
Great saw. Love mine!

And of course everything else is looking great, Tex.

Ryan

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: December 15, 2018, 11:22:31 AM »
Nicest little "Cottage" I think I've ever seen anyone build

Commendable

Like that saw too, I have one...

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: December 15, 2018, 11:36:43 AM »
So really the only big project are the stairs now?

Heck, who needs a main house!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: December 15, 2018, 11:41:48 AM »

Commendable

Your going to need to step up your quality on the farm side projects bud.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: December 15, 2018, 02:45:02 PM »
Thanks guys.  I have the 12 inch standard compound miter saw that is 23 years old now (Man, I'm getting old, bought that saw in '95 to remodel my first house)  Wife and girls got me the sliding compound for my birthday.

Stairs are on order.  Should be ready either next week or week after, I think.  They are one piece welded so should be a matter of threading them through the door and standing them up and bolting it down.  Carpet should be in before the stairs go up which will complete the upper floor.

That leaves tile floor, tile in the shower, cabinets, countertops, toilet, shower glass enclosure, them base molding and trim on the doors.

Then I'll have to run the LP line to the tankless water heater

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: December 15, 2018, 03:08:18 PM »
Those should be nice and less work!

I need to address my moms house (mine now) Not sure if I want to upgrade and sell or just sell. (Its clean but a little dated)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: December 15, 2018, 03:57:24 PM »

Commendable

Your going to need to step up your quality on the farm side projects bud.

I'm a hillbilly

You studs have me beat

But I can dig a hole and stack a stone or two ;-))

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: December 15, 2018, 05:35:15 PM »
Those should be nice and less work!

I need to address my moms house (mine now) Not sure if I want to upgrade and sell or just sell. (Its clean but a little dated)

Possible rental/airbnb?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: December 15, 2018, 06:05:18 PM »
Thanks guys.  I have the 12 inch standard compound miter saw that is 23 years old now (Man, I'm getting old, bought that saw in '95 to remodel my first house)  Wife and girls got me the sliding compound for my birthday.

Stairs are on order.  Should be ready either next week or week after, I think.  They are one piece welded so should be a matter of threading them through the door and standing them up and bolting it down.  Carpet should be in before the stairs go up which will complete the upper floor.

That leaves tile floor, tile in the shower, cabinets, countertops, toilet, shower glass enclosure, them base molding and trim on the doors.

Then I'll have to run the LP line to the tankless water heater

Didn’t you say you’ve had 12 houses? That’s like moving every couple of years on average....

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: December 15, 2018, 07:10:38 PM »
Ordered the carpet last night.  It MAY make it on the truck for Tuesday the 18th. If it doesn’t it won’t get here until 1/8/2019 because two holidays on each of the next two week’s Tuesdays.  And they only get shipments on Tuesdays . Bummer.

Hoping the stairs will be done next week.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: December 15, 2018, 09:21:23 PM »
LOL yeah Shawn at one time I was moving about every 2-2 1/2 years, plus a lake house and now this second house.  I never stayed in a house long enough for it to need a refresh, but now that I'm in my current house going on 10 years, the crap is multiplying exponentially. Good news is that it has appreciated 30%

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: December 15, 2018, 09:24:54 PM »
So cleaned out all the overspray mud from the Sheetrock guys to get ready for tile in the shower.

Then stained the doors and then varnished one side.

Now I’m sipping 130 proof whiskey and watching Star Wars phantom menace.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: December 15, 2018, 09:29:17 PM »
Lol, our average was 7 years roughly (building 4th home now) although it’s been 3.5 in this current home which is about what I expected when we moved in as we bought small in case we needed to flip it if things didn’t work out.

30% is pretty good, ours sold for about 7% more than we paid 3.5 years ago. But things are softening up a bit here on the front range...

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: December 15, 2018, 10:11:29 PM »
130 proof ? Of what!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal